The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:33 PM
DowntownDumpling

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polizard View Post
Miltank, I find this Pokemon not only bad but annoying, i think there is something in the games code that makes Whitney's Miltank really strong and hard to beat but any Miltank in your possession utterly useless i have used this Pokemon a few times in the past and i follow the same basic idea of Whitney, Attract, Rollout, Body Slam and Toxic. and despite having good stats it just does not hold up against other Pokemon.
Many have complained about this, and I am no exception. I suspect that the discrepancy between Whitney's Miltank and any Miltank that one is likely to have at any given time arises from the fact that Whitney's is probably by a wide margin the most powerful Pokemon introduced by that point, in terms of both level and stats, but by the time one is able to get one's own Miltank, it's not at that high a level, more powerful Pokemon are available, and it grows slowly in terms of EXP.
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:11 PM
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
I'd say Ditto. It's really only useful for breeding.
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:36 PM
DowntownDumpling

Nature: Quiet
Oh, and I'd like to add Unown to my list. I've just never gotten their appeal, beyond arranging them in your party or Boxes to spell out curse words or your name.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:08 AM
ranso33

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ranso33 Send a message via Skype™ to ranso33
Certainly, whithout a doubt its Unown. And to remember the countless hours I spend trying to get them all, thinking I would gain something, is just to painfull.

I agree with you. I never did any of that and it was never a problem. I know how to do it but I just don't bother. I have already won tournaments (PvP) and I can tell that the only thing that really matters is having a good team with advantages over all kinds.

Last edited by ranso33; January 1st, 2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
At one point as a child I was trying to catch all the unown but they're not really useful in journeys just for collection which I now find twisted as I have grown with age, 6 pokemon, no more xD
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:05 PM
Schwan
Frontier Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinesan View Post
I'm a fan of Umbreon, but it is very very very useless in a ingame run-through.
When I went through Black 2 I IV bred and EV trained a physical attacking Umbreon in Platinum to test it out throughout a story, and it actually was pretty good. I move tutored it Sucker Punch, (didn't even know about Curse til later) and Secret Power, and it actually beat alotta guys for me. I was thrilled! I'm actually planning on making a new one with the moveset Curse, Sucker Punch, Swagger and another physical dark attack, or Secret Power again, because I absolutely love that attack.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
bolter1
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinesan View Post
Well the game is easy enough that thankfully use your favorites, bar things like Delibird. Doesn't discount the fact that Umbreon is pretty bad relatively no matter how you slice it.
In Colosseum, I kept Umbreon on my team the entire game despite "better" pokemon being available like the Legendary Beasts, the Johto starter, Hariyama, Ampharos, Quagsire, Medicham, Flygon, Heracross, etc, but he was my strongest and most reliable team member.
I find pokemon with low stats and bad movepools to be hard to use (I wouldn't call any pokemon useless); Pokemon such as Liepard (ditched it before it even evolved), Kriketune and Butterfree. I noticed that a lot of people seem to be calling the more defense-oriented pokemon useless which I find strange as they're the ones that pull me through when my sweepers fail,which happens often enough since they have poor HP and Defenses. I just want to ask: are you sure it's the pokemon and not you?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
katiekun11
I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to katiekun11 Send a message via Skype™ to katiekun11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
This is game-specific, so I'm going to kick it over to the gaming section!

I loved Azurill's design but it was so weak when I tried to use it that I had to drop it. >_o
Really? I always picked up an Azurill as soon as I could, since I flew through Emerald with it... it literally blew Tate & Liza out of the water & I basically just crashed through the Elite 4 with it & Glailie as a team!

Most useless pokemon, to me, is slakoth. & its' evolutions.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:13 PM
bwburke94
NEW RUN STARTS AUGUST 1! 000/721

In Generations I and III, Magikarp/Gyarados. Not getting any physical STAB (other than possibly Hidden Power in Gen III) ruins that big attack stat, not to mention those first 15-19 levels you need to switch-train it through.

In Generation V, Deino/Zweilous/Hydreigon. I prefer to bring six level 60 Pokemon into Victory Road, not five.

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5804-7602

I'm just a little crazy sometimes.
OK, a lot crazy all the time.

My romhacks and Essentials games are on hold until Essentials is updated.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:24 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Gyarados was boss in 1st gen. Dragon Rage early on made it incredibly easy to train, and it could have a lot of Special moves which ran off a decent Special stat. 2nd gen ruined it, 3rd gen gave it a little back, and 4th gen turned it into an awesome powerhouse. Really, in HGSS, the red Gyarados will get you through the game without problems.

Purrloin was one of the worst Pokémon I raised. Weak and dies easily.

Zubat is also a pain to raise until it learns Wing Attack right before it evolves.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
scprepschool

I dont think i have ever trained a
ditto
Delibird
Spinda
Kricketot/bidoof
foongus

you gotta know that I adore you
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Liepard. I wanted to like it, but in the playthrough of Pokemon Black, I just couldn't take it being defeated by two hits.
With the right training, moves and nature it would be a good Pokemon. But not for playing a game, where it was the first Pokemon I had set for my permanent team (ditched my starter) it wasn't good.
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:27 AM
cloud354
Unhatched Egg

I've never trained a spinarak, or a ledyba. I'm sure they could be good in the right hands, but their not my thing.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:51 AM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

Nature: Quirky
I generally keep people on my team, I once got an Azurill just cause I LOVE its design and wanted to use it as my water type, but it didn't work out haha

On the other hand, what I thought was going to be weak but I was determined to try anyways (Minun) ended up helping me defeat the Elite Four lol :D
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:34 PM
wygar
Unhatched Egg

well i won't count the obviously useless ones like unown and stuff because i don't think most ppl actually expect them to be usable.
but the two i always wanted to use and ended up dragging my team every single time were hoothoot and spinarak.
i really like those pokemon (especially spinarak) but it's like you either give them competitive movesets PLUS good natures PLUS ev training which = unreasonable for in-game purposes or they will absolutely ALWAYS feel underwhelming by mid-game standards.
and this is coming from someone who likes challenges and actually managed to hax the E4 and champion (lance, which means 3 haxonites) to death with an underlevelled dunsparce, so... yeah, those two guys are that bad.
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Theory_
Unhatched Egg

Caterpie and weedle.
Even evolved they are useless
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM
ProfessorJoltz
Poke Fan

Nature: Careful
Emolga/Pachirisu. Two pokemon that have terrible stats, and no evolution to make up for this. If GameFreak made an evo for them however, then I would consider using them.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:20 PM
lineofdeath
...overuser of the ellipsis...

Send a message via Skype™ to lineofdeath
I rater dislike therian landorus, I am using one in white 2 and it is totally worthless
I can't wait for earthquake.

peace is key...

hey guys... check my trading shop...
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305409
..........................................................................................................................................they call me red.http://www.pokecommunity.com/signatu...ic362557_3.gif
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Gligar in GSC. It's introduced really, REALLY late and it's just not worth it at that point. I wouldn't even want to use one closer to the beginning of the game because its only attacking move is Poison Sting until level 20.
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM
iLike2EatPiez
i want the puppy

I think Eevee takes the cake for me. I make it a point to evolve mine as soon as possible, and if I can't evolve it in the foreseeable future it sits in my PC until I can. It's just utterly incapable of dealing damage, and the longer it stays unevolved the more decent STAB moves it misses out on. I learned the hard way, trying to keep an Eevee on an even level with the rest of my team until I could evolve it into a Glaceon in Platinum. By the time I reached the Ice Rock it was Level 40-something, lacked any Ice-Type attacks, and was ultimately pretty pathetic. (Though I will admit unevolved Eevees have helped me beat Morty and Fantina on multiple occasions!)

I've actually managed to use things like Delibird and early-game Normal-Types in game effectively, though, along with defensive Pokemon that specialize in stalling like Bronzong and Cotton Guard + Leech Seed Whimsicott.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Master Magikarp

Farfetch'd, Sunkern, and Magikarp. (Also Smeargle.)
In all seriousness most if not all bug types are worthless for my journey.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:58 PM
charcharx3
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
For me, the only useless pokemon are those that aren't cute. I love my cute pokemon.

But oh...azurill...In Black 2, I caught you, because you were so cute, but you fainted so many times...
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Fransferdy
Unhatched Egg

Pokémon that does not evolve two times or(exception to Growlith), or that does not evolve at all.
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM
lineofdeath
...overuser of the ellipsis...

Send a message via Skype™ to lineofdeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransferdy View Post
Pokémon that does not evolve two times or(exception to Growlith), or that does not evolve at all.
Scizor, ninetails, volcarona and all the ledgendarys are mad at you.

But seriously, ariados dissapointed me for such a badass look.

peace is key...

hey guys... check my trading shop...
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305409
..........................................................................................................................................they call me red.http://www.pokecommunity.com/signatu...ic362557_3.gif
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM
atomtanned

I agree with those here who have said that they don't really find any Pokemon totally useless. There are definitely some that I wouldn't use in battles with friends, maybe, but with the right strategy almost any Pokemon can be dangerous!

I also don't stick with a set team -- I flip Pokemon in and out to suit me, which means I progress veeeerrrrryyyy slowly through games because I usually train up most of my Pokemon evenly. A bit obsessive, but it's always fun to do an E4 run with totally random, unexpected Pokemon. I get bored using the standard powerhouses all the time, especially on second or third play through.

I dislike Bug/Grass types more than any other, though -- idk if I'm just not good at strategizing with them or what, but they always are more difficult for me to use than other types.

Friend Codes
X: Serena {2638-0348-2480}
Y: Allyson {2638-0348-2480}
HeartGold: Lyra {3526-6386-3822}

Challenges:
Pokemon Y Wonderlocke

tumblr || backlog

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links