The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 27th, 2012 (12:17 AM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

How long can you generally go without anyone talking to you?

By that, let's assume that you spend all your free time isolated from everyone. You're in a cabin in the woods, for instance. Eventually, the lack of communication (or in your case, since you don't have any plans to be living in a cabin in the woods alone) from friends and family will start to bother even the most independent, self-reliant people emotionally. How long until that happens?

In the most simplest examples: you don't get texts, IMs, tweets, posts, VMs, etc. from anyone from the point in time that you've read this post until the timeframe you specify it starts to affect you.
Old December 27th, 2012 (01:02 AM).
Antemortem
we're fantastic

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
I don't enjoy not speaking with others, but at the same time I can't say I could stay secluded forever, though I feel mankind will always come together in some form or fashion or so one could never permanently be isolated. I'm not sure how long I could go without speaking to someone, because I can go weeks without texting or using social networking, but within that time frame I speak with family and friends physically.

Without actually experiencing an extended length of time without social interaction I don't think I could even theoretically gauge any span of time.

I'M WEARING AN AVATAR OF ALL THE HOENN POKEMON
EVERY DAY FOR... HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES ME TO WEAR
EVERY SINGLE HOENN POKEMON. pls feel free to drop avatar
suggestions and stuff on my profile because i value you lovelies. xo
oras ... cm ... final oras team
Old December 27th, 2012 (07:31 AM).
von Weltschmerz
the first born unicorn

Are... you serious?! This is my DREAM. I already have a strong dose of cynicism, so why not be a fringe living misanthrope?? Hell, if I am left alone I can grow a **** ton of pot up by that cabin--and then what else do I need?!

My life would honestly be set if no one could bother me. I could be a reclusive hermit in the mountains... but that's not the same. As soon as I start doing something someone doesn't like, they'll come to screw with me. And then Id have to freak out on them...

I don't know how long it'd take. It'd take a very long time. Or I'd snap so hard that my insanity would be the only thing keeping me sane.

O.e however that works...
Old December 27th, 2012 (08:01 AM).
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
I undergo the eremetic lifestyle twice a year as a religious practice. I call it "social fasting," and it can last for months if I feel inclined to keep it up. It's as spiritually enriching as meditation, and it's a nice excuse to get out of conversation with :x
Old December 27th, 2012 (08:58 AM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I don't really know. I generally am fine with not talking to people in real life...but online is another matter.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old December 27th, 2012 (09:10 AM).
Correspondence

I can stand not talking to people.I usually do it every day.

But as Slenderman said i need teh internetz.
Old December 27th, 2012 (09:22 AM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Not talking to people in real life, I can do that for a couple of days lol. But online, nope, I don't think so haha.
Old December 27th, 2012 (12:00 PM).
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
I've spent a lot of time in isolation, but yeah that doesn't exactly mean I can handle no social interactions well. I give myself a couple days before I start making sock puppetsfeel deprived.

Old December 27th, 2012 (12:52 PM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Less than a day, Id feel so lonely and Im terrified of the feeling of being totally alone.
Old December 27th, 2012 (10:10 PM).
Brendino
Strike that. Reverse it.

I could probably go months on end if we only counted face-to-face conversations, but if online counted too, I'd give myself about a week.

Moderator of Pokémon General
Old December 28th, 2012 (07:39 PM).
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
Fifteen minutes and no one chats me on Facebook, I start to feel lonely. Thirty minutes and I don't get a Notification here on PC, I start to ask myself why. Forty-five minutes and I don't get a text, I start to text others. One hour and no one talks to me, I panic.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old December 29th, 2012 (01:12 AM).
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

I love talking to people. Actually, one of the reasons I even make comments on PC threads is because no one's VMing me, haha!
I constantly check my facebook to see if my favorite friends are online so I can pester them. I adore skype, too, because practically all my friends get lonely too, so they always pick up.

I probably couldn't go more than a day or two at most. Unless I was living in an apartment by myself and decided to chill all day.
Old December 29th, 2012 (01:00 PM).
Axeliira
we all got the spark

Nature: Brave
For both sides online & offline, two days. Afterwards, I tend to feel lonely and go crazy about it. xD

Ever think that you could lose your mind, could it be the big d r e a m you'll find.
No more waiting cause it's almost time, everything is gonna be a l r i g h t.
moderator of fan clubs & groups ~ paired to buoysel & kanzler
Old December 29th, 2012 (01:14 PM).
Tetrakeet
Lilligant's Caretaker

Nature: Careful
Since it's practically impossible to test this theory, I cannot give a real time estimation.

I don't mind being alone though, I like it. Unless I meet someone that I really really get along with, I normally will prefer solitude. Not sure if animals count, but I do love my pet's company.

Old December 29th, 2012 (01:28 PM).
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Dunno.. two days maybe? I like chatting with people and i call my parents every day so i would feel strange if i had to go too long without being social somehow.
Old December 29th, 2012 (01:52 PM).
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Probably forever. I remember saying something to the effect of me not needing a lot of interactivity in another poll, as I'm perfectly capable of entertaining myself, and frankly, would enjoy living somewhere where I'm only responsible for myself and do not have to answer to anyone.

As a person who likes to create things, though? I like to share stuff with people, and that kills any theories of living in isolation.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 29th, 2012 (02:08 PM).
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Really hard to imagine myself not talking to other in any circumstance, honestly. I'm the chatty type, and even if I wasn't I always ask other people for help or advice and stuff of that nature. Also, being alone is very depressing for me. I'd end up going insane and talking to myself.

Long story short, I'd make a terrible hermit.
Old December 29th, 2012 (06:38 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
It's become less and less recently. I used to love being alone and could go for days of near solitude, but now I've become more social and I actually start to feel a little anxious if people don't talk to me for a while. That's when I'll contact them and see what they're up to.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 29th, 2012 (09:13 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Nature: Timid
I have actually gone a while without speaking to anyone and shutting people out completely. I seriously went days without even speaking to anyone. I was also terrified of anyone speaking to me. I never want to go back to that, and since I've been in that place of no communication, I think it would really bother me to go back to it and have no contact with anyone. Could do it then, but not now. I would never want to. It's painful.
Old December 30th, 2012 (06:28 AM).
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I can go up to a day without speaking to anyone, which happens anytime I have a new Video Game/Talli tales/Grand Master tales/Salli the dragon to play/write chapter.
Old December 30th, 2012 (06:31 AM).
Forever
let it go

IRL I could go days idm if people don't talk to me it'd be a nice break but it's unlikely.

However online I can't even go like 20 minutes without Frizy it's crazy. Sooooo nope wouldn't last very long. I NEED human contact of some sort or I go crazy. :(
Old December 30th, 2012 (11:21 AM).
Aeon
Dayum, son. Where'd you find this?
Community Supporter

Since I was 12 I have developed into a heavy introvert. I can probably go weeks without talking to anyone, but I would get lonely eventually.

Pair
AlexAhnon
Old December 30th, 2012 (11:38 AM).
Playful_Weasel
can I have a Pokepuff?
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I have always been a quiet independent person, I could go for years without speaking to anyone and it wouldn't bother me at all. As long as there is Pokemon, I don't need to even speak.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challengess
Random Challenge - Badges: 8/8 - game: X - Location: defeated Elite 4
Random Challenge - Badges: 7/8 - game: Y - Location: Route 19
50/50 Challenge - Badges 6/8 - Game Y - Location: Dendemille Town/Frost Cavern - haven't continued yet
Old December 30th, 2012 (12:39 PM).
Carter

Nature: Modest
I am the loner type. Not communicating with anyone for a good amount of time is something quite formulaic. I wouldn't feel lonely, upset, depressed to be honest. It sounds awfully unhealthy, but I am just like that. I enjoy the company of people sometimes, but abstaining from it isn't the end of the world from me, regardless of how much time I spend without it [talking with anyone].
Old December 30th, 2012 (10:11 PM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I can go a day or two, maybe even a week without talking to anyone because I don't generally spend a lot of time with people.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links