The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 12th, 2012 (01:47 AM).
Arachobia
Unhatched Egg

Hi everyone

I have been playing ROMS on emulators for some time now, and I have played a few hacks.

What bought me to PokeCommunity was a question I had. I have played both the Pokemon Emerald randomizer and the Red/Blue randomizer. Especially in relation to the second, I was curious if a hack existed which allowed the player to actually select the wild pokemon AND trainer encounters for any existing rom, in much the same way the the randomizers give you the option of choosing starters, as opposed to making them randomly chosen by the ROM hack.

Does anyone know of such a rom and, if not, does anyone have an idea of how one could hack any of the pokemon games to achieve this, i.e. what tools one would need to use, etc.?

Thanks
Old December 12th, 2012 (02:49 AM).
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachobia View Post
Hi everyone

I have been playing ROMS on emulators for some time now, and I have played a few hacks.

What bought me to PokeCommunity was a question I had. I have played both the Pokemon Emerald randomizer and the Red/Blue randomizer. Especially in relation to the second, I was curious if a hack existed which allowed the player to actually select the wild pokemon AND trainer encounters for any existing rom, in much the same way the the randomizers give you the option of choosing starters, as opposed to making them randomly chosen by the ROM hack.

Does anyone know of such a rom and, if not, does anyone have an idea of how one could hack any of the pokemon games to achieve this, i.e. what tools one would need to use, etc.?

Thanks
Well I don't think that there's a hack for this but you could just use the Randomizer on the rom or you can use the starter editor.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old December 12th, 2012 (11:39 AM). Edited December 12th, 2012 by gameguru.
gameguru

Nature: Careful
Has anybody/could anybody figure out if there is a way to make tm's not go away after use. Like in pokemon Black and White. I have looked around the forum and looked into the rom, and can't find anything myself. I am using Firered, but I'm sure other people would like this feature too. If anyone can help, thanks. From What I can tell, It is probably in the ASM. J-pan or Hackmew, (i can't remember which) gave instructions on how to make the game allow the player to run anywhere. All it took was one byte, (most likely making it so it always returns true). If anyone knows where tm's are handled in the rom then maybe it could as simple as that.
Old December 12th, 2012 (12:13 PM).
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguru View Post
Has anybody/could anybody figure out if there is a way to make tm's not go away after use. Like in pokemon Black and White. I have looked around the forum and looked into the rom, and can't find anything myself. I am using Firered, but I'm sure other people would like this feature too. If anyone can help, thanks. From What I can tell, It is probably in the ASM. J-pan or Hackmew, (i can't remember which) gave instructions on how to make the game allow the player to run anywhere. All it took was one byte, (most likely making it so it always returns true). If anyone knows where tm's are handled in the rom then maybe it could as simple as that.
I once found a gameshark code that was corrupt and put a master ball in my key items pocket. This master ball worked just fine and could be used over and over. So, there may be a chance that if you registered TMs in the Key Items pocket that it might work. I know it would look weird but it's worth a shot.

I'm sure that there is a code somewhere that determines the difference between a disposable and reusable item, and if the could be changed, it would would have a much nicer look to it.
Old December 13th, 2012 (10:42 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
@karatekid: Unfortunately, TMs cannot be used that way. Master Balls, Max Repels and some other things can be put into key items and they really act like you have infinite amount of them, but TMs do not work, believe me, I tried it myself when I was bored

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old December 13th, 2012 (12:25 PM).
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
@karatekid: Unfortunately, TMs cannot be used that way. Master Balls, Max Repels and some other things can be put into key items and they really act like you have infinite amount of them, but TMs do not work, believe me, I tried it myself when I was bored
Okay, good to know. This is actually probably a good topic on items in general. What makes some infinite and others not?

While I'm here, I just finished playing Beta 2 of Pokemon Naranja and I would really like to see the game finished. The last beta was some wheres around 2005, so a pretty long time ago. I don't have any progressing hacks at the moment so I wanted to maybe take up the project if Serg!o wasn't going to finish it. He hasn't been on PC since the summer, so does anyone know another means of communicating with him?

And yes, I do know I would have to do it in Spanish
Old December 14th, 2012 (01:14 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Okay, good to know. This is actually probably a good topic on items in general. What makes some infinite and others not?
I believe every item beside TMs/HMs and Key Items can be made infinite by adding them into Key Items pouch... but TMs seem to have some sort of coding that makes them unusuable when they are moved to another bag pouch than the TM one.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old December 14th, 2012 (03:40 AM). Edited December 14th, 2012 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
I believe every item beside TMs/HMs and Key Items can be made infinite by adding them into Key Items pouch... but TMs seem to have some sort of coding that makes them unusuable when they are moved to another bag pouch than the TM one.
Do you think that this has to do with item itself, or maybe that pocket of the bag is coded differently? It's the only pocket that mixes reusable and non-reusable items. So, maybe, the THs/HMs are coded so that their code lines up with that pockets code and one can't be used without the other.
Old December 15th, 2012 (11:59 AM).
Jaycub
Unhatched Egg

I have virtualy no experience modding GBA games but i have a really basic idea for a pokemon hack, could someone experienced PM me i just want to know if my idea is even possible.
Old December 30th, 2012 (10:49 PM).
VERGUNDAI
RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker

Nature: Quiet
I was wondering since kyledove has so much tilesets for hoen region, why don't anybody make a rombase for the RSE with more looking 3d tilesets?
Old December 31st, 2012 (03:26 AM).
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERGUNDAI View Post
I was wondering since kyledove has so much tilesets for hoen region, why don't anybody make a rombase for the RSE with more looking 3d tilesets?
Because, depending on the tiles (this is the main problem I have in tile inserting, dunno about others), the pallette restriction of 15 colours and 1 transparent makes it harder to make it look right. Either that or that Kyledove's tiles are more suited for RMXP for a similar reason. I dunno, it's just hard to fit so many good tiles that should fit into one pallette (like grass and trees) into one pallette sometimes. You could always try it yourself and see how you go.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old January 18th, 2013 (07:51 PM).
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
So um... Has anyone here done much with the ruby rom with debug mode? Just found out about it myself, and kinda wanted to know if anyone had toyed with it yet. It certainly looks useful for ram offsets at the very least.
Old January 19th, 2013 (12:07 PM).
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
So um... Has anyone here done much with the ruby rom with debug mode? Just found out about it myself, and kinda wanted to know if anyone had toyed with it yet. It certainly looks useful for ram offsets at the very least.
What is Ruby? That's a weird way to spell FireRed.
More seriously though, it seems pretty useful and interesting.
Old January 25th, 2013 (10:48 AM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
I've played with it a bit. I wonder if the code can be ported to a retail game.

btw I did this the other day:

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old January 26th, 2013 (02:34 PM).
FBI agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
btw I did this the other day:

That sounds awesome, do you compose those yourself? Good work my man, good work.

Anyways, I was wondering, roughly how many hacks do you play a month?
I personally played 3-4 since joining, and played some of the more mainstream hacks before joining (shiny gold and the likes).

My name forum name is FBI Agent, though you can call me FBI because it's shorter. I ran a ASM request/resource thread feel free to check that out!

My current projects:
- Setting up ROM graphics :x
Old January 26th, 2013 (02:49 PM).
machomuu
Master Spark is Comin' to Town
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
That sounds awesome, do you compose those yourself? Good work my man, good work.
Those are songs directly from Pokemon White 2, he made a Sound Player that runs SDAT files.

Which is pretty awesome.
Old January 26th, 2013 (03:57 PM).
FBI agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Those are songs directly from Pokemon White 2, he made a Sound Player that runs SDAT files.

Which is pretty awesome.
Welp, I don't know what I'm talking about :D
Isn't there existing programs to run such files? I'd imagine there were, bu then again I'd quote what I said a line ago.

My name forum name is FBI Agent, though you can call me FBI because it's shorter. I ran a ASM request/resource thread feel free to check that out!

My current projects:
- Setting up ROM graphics :x
Old March 6th, 2013 (12:35 PM). Edited March 6th, 2013 by ChainStorm.
ChainStorm
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Docile
Im a noob at hacking, i can do some stuff with advance map but i really want to learn scripting. Can anybody halp? Im hacking ruby and here is what i want to do for the first town.

I want to get the starters in the professors lab rather than saving him from a poocheyana. When I try to delete those events part of them happen, after I talk to may the kid says "I can hear someone shouting" and I am forced to go into the area but I deleted the bag and everything so I would be stuck there, and if I try to leave its says "Don't leave me" or something like that.

What I am asking is, since I deleted those events why are they still happening.
Old March 6th, 2013 (12:40 PM).
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainStorm View Post
Im a noob at hacking, i can do some stuff with advance map but i really want to learn scripting. Can anybody halp?

Just Google "diegoisawesome" and grab the first Pokecommunity link, then go to page one of the thread.

You will understand quickly.

Paired with Simba
Old March 6th, 2013 (12:50 PM). Edited March 6th, 2013 by ChainStorm.
ChainStorm
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Just Google "diegoisawesome" and grab the first Pokecommunity link, then go to page one of the thread.

You will understand quickly.
Ok. I will attempt to comprehend. *dives into the tutorial*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainStorm View Post
Ok. I will attempt to comprehend. *dives into the tutorial*
Hackmews tools page. SO UNCOMPREHENDABLE
Old March 9th, 2013 (01:56 PM).
Gary0ak
TPP ROM Hacker

I'm not sure if this the right place to post this, but does anyone here know where the Mugshots are located in Pokemon Black 2/White 2?
Old March 9th, 2013 (02:06 PM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post

Which is pretty awesome.
Actually, it's a sound player that is included in the DS's SDK. I got it working on a virtual machine and I built a portable sound player. There's an alternate version that works with a PC program and pumps audio out through a connected DS. This can be flashed onto a dev chip and ran.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old March 16th, 2013 (04:48 PM).
MiniBubblechu
Simple Fangirl

Send a message via Skype™ to MiniBubblechu
Hey, guys.
I'm not sure if someone has asked this already, or if it's on the thread. I haven't been able to find anything though on the web, so I'm hoping someone can give me some useful advice.
I'm also not familiar with posting via forums, so yeah.. Just a heads up if I'm doing anything wrong. Please, kindly correct me.

Anyways.
I want to make a rom hack with 4th Generation games (diamond, pearl, heartgold.. Mostly HG) BUT, I do not know what program to use, or how to find it. I know of the program SDSME, but I can't even get that to work.

Would anyone be able to kindly pin-point me in the right direction to a working DS rom hacker, if there is one?

I wanted to generally avoid using E/R/S/LG/FR, just an fyi, hehe.

Thanks a ton in advanced.
Old March 17th, 2013 (12:03 AM).
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBubblechu View Post
Hey, guys.
I'm not sure if someone has asked this already, or if it's on the thread. I haven't been able to find anything though on the web, so I'm hoping someone can give me some useful advice.
I'm also not familiar with posting via forums, so yeah.. Just a heads up if I'm doing anything wrong. Please, kindly correct me.

Anyways.
I want to make a rom hack with 4th Generation games (diamond, pearl, heartgold.. Mostly HG) BUT, I do not know what program to use, or how to find it. I know of the program SDSME, but I can't even get that to work.

Would anyone be able to kindly pin-point me in the right direction to a working DS rom hacker, if there is one?

I wanted to generally avoid using E/R/S/LG/FR, just an fyi, hehe.

Thanks a ton in advanced.
Well, a DS game is not a best one to start with if you want to find out how to create rom hacks, simply because of the rom image being large and not so well-documented. In case you want to hack pokemon and not use Gen III, you could always try out Gen I or II too.

But in any case, if you're wanting to make a rom hack of a game not for Gen III (or pretty much, not for FireRed or Ruby), you're going to have to learn how to go on on your own, without "tool-help" from others.

Game-modification tools are used to re-write data somewhere inside the rom, in an user-friendly way. So you could use YAPE (I think) to edit stats of a certain pokemon in Pokemon FireRed. By doing this, you're actually re-writing bytes of the rom file. And the same thing could be achieved (quite easily as well) by downloading a tool called hex editor, using "Go to offset" function to go to the offset where the stats of that pokemon are located (this requires that you know what the offset is!) and re-writing stuff there.

Most (or if not all the) things a newbie at rom hacking (basic hex editing knowledge, maybe knowing how to look for certain types of data structures on his/her own) would be able to do using a hex editor can be achieved using game-specific tools for FireRed or Ruby. That's because there have been so many people wanting to make tools for it, so we've simply got all we need.

If you want to go for editing some other game, you'll have to learn how to use a hex editor instead. This is not hard though! It just takes a little bit of patience. And you know what, it's much more rewarding too!

Feel free to check out my video series I've got linked to my signature. I wouldn't want to be "advertising" them but they are good. You should get the hang of basic hacking processes already by watching the first part of it.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old March 25th, 2013 (03:18 PM). Edited March 25th, 2013 by PokeStar451.
PokeStar451
Unhatched Egg

Hey I am new so if anyone can give me support that be great

I am not that old i know most of the rom hackers are older but i can catch up to them help in chat thanks
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links