The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, hens return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: what do you think of marlon
marlon is super great leave him alone 11 20.37%
marlon is alright 25 46.30%
marlon is annoying but not bad 10 18.52%
i strongly feel marlon is lame 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:29 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I love Marlon. He's so great and I love how he isn't like everyone else is feels obliged to help out because Team Plasma is a terrible group. Sure, they are, but he doesn't have any reason to hate them. They haven't done anything specifically to him so he doesn't have any reason to him. It's the sad truth, but that's how a lot of people are these days. Sure, might be consider selfish, but in a way it's also realistic. Sometimes, people do need a reason in order to get involved. Especially something like that. So what.

And as what was mentioned before; he does help you out. He just doesn't take the time to beat them up or anything.

Also how he speaks is awesome too. Everyone who thinks otherwise get out.
Forum Games

Paired with Stand Alone and Eucliffe
Gallery - DeviantArt
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:45 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Marlon is an okay guy I suppose, but what I actually found really annoying was the music for his gym and city.I do agree with you that the town does resemble pacifiglog town a bit due to the structure of the homes. The only two things I enjoyed about Marlon to be honest is the way the gym was created and his battle entrance.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I thought Marlon was alright. I think he could've had a more challenging team and all because he's the 8th leader. I also would've been happier if he used a Vaporeon, but overall he was alright.
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
I don't really like his personality, however I might have liked it in a different situation; Had he been implemented early on, as say, the third or forth gym leader, his attitude would have been cool to me. Unfortunately the main problem I see is that he's the last gym leader. This individual replaced Dryden as the final gym leader in Unova, and I frankly think that to by a little lame

You find your self approaching the climax of the game, and come in contact with Dryden, an very professional, competent individual who in the first game led the other leaders in assisting you at N's castle. Not to spoil the ending of BW2, but at this point there's some pretty crazy stuff going down, and you expect someone capable and willing to assist you in saving the day. You might expect someone like Clair; Capable and willing to do her job, or Volkner; Powerful, but bored and looking for a challenge, or even a Giovanni, as an antagonist.

Then you meet Marlon, who's just kinda there, completely ignorant of the situation. He helps eventually, but not because he cares, more because he happens to be there.

I don't know, I think the final gym leader should posses some sort of sense or resposibility, not just tough pokemon. Mind you I didn't actually think anything of it untill I had read this thread
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
He seems complex too me. He has an unassuming general disposition, yet he is inquisitive as he asks you why your reason is that you fight and are you doing it for the right reasons or because someone told you to? What I don't get though is "Listen, 'K. Believe in somethin'! Searchin' for stolen Pokémon is fine! Keepin' Unova from bein' iced over's fine too! It's all good. But think 'bout why you're doin' that. The strength of your beliefs is what gives you and your Pokémon power! I made some noise, so some people came out! Hey, be careful, 'K!" Did he hear all that from Hugh or did he actually see reports on it? That's one thing if he is out of touch which "Sup yo! What's this Team Plasma you're talking about do?" comment leaves me to believe he heard all this from Hugh(don't remember the convo). If that's the case than Marlon is a good character to have at this point to balance out your revenge lusting friend Hugh that is bent on bringing Plasma down at any cost. Now if he heard Opelucid was being frozen over on a news cast than I would be a little miffed that he was not real willing to be more confronting on Plasma.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
shuppet88
Mime Jr.

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellicent♀ View Post
Marlon? Bad? Annoying? Y'all must be on something cray, because he's so legit. I love Marlon. He's a lot like I am, tbh. Plasma did nothing wrong to him or his town, so he doesn't find a need to step in. However, he sees that the player wishes to fight, but sees the player's only reasoning is, "Because I have to", and warns him to gain a better reason to do so other than, "It's the right thing to do." Such as why it is the right thing to do. Why MUST you fight a battle that was never yours to fight? Marlon's character is much deeper than the anti-Marlon groups have come to make him out to be. His dialogue isn't some black and white one-meaning statement, it has a deeper meaning to it.

"It's not my style to go around decidin' Team Plasma's bad without thinkin' 'bout it just 'cause everyone says so!" We always say we must make our own judgments based on what we experience, rather than what we see or hear. Yet when a fictional character says it, it somehow becomes stupid and annoying? He just found his role to be the voice of reason, not to be the one on the front line. If you ask me, it's about time we finally have a character like that.
This. I totally agree...honestly, it's a bit weird that there's a "Marlon sucks" thread. I live in Austin, TX (been here for the past year and a half) and it's very laid back here. People don't really jump to conclusions about others and get all crazy like. I mean, his "weird tan" and his accent? That sounds kinda messed up. He's obviously supposed to be a laid back islander, like the way typical Hawaiians are, or hippies.

People who aren't so gung-ho about fighting are able to take a moment and look at a situation rationally.

His attitude towards Team Plasma is because he is either new to the Unova region (as Humilau has only recently opened up) and doesn't know much about them or what they did in the past. Who knows, he might actually be from Pacifidlog and only has experience with Teams Magma/Aqua.

And yeah they did messed up stuff, but throughout the game you can see the overarching theme is one of "things AREN'T always black and white." His attitude towards Team Plasma IMO doesn't seem reason enough to hate him or think he's a jerk. He's just a character that is trying to offer a different perspective on things, and to avoid groupthink.
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM
RockManFan
Unhatched Egg

Haters gonna hate I suppose...

I like Marlon
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:43 PM
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
Well, I didn't really care for the way that he said that he didn't have a problem with Team Plasma because they didn't do anything to him or the city that he lived in, but I understand that he was meant to be a laid back type of guy. I won't say that I hated him, but I really didn't care for him, or the gym.
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Rivvon
they see me ridin'~they hatin'

Nature: Jolly
I love Marlon! His design is unique and his personality is great. The way he speaks makes me smile ("Now you can be tight with any Pokemon!"), and the things he talks about very interesting. He really is the definition of laid-back. And is that such a bad thing? It might seem bad that he doesn't want to stop Team Plasma, but if your neighbors are in a war, do you really have to get involved?

And there's also his Gym Helper, who instead of congratulating you on your victory, simply says, "Marlon's swimming again, isn't he? " He's just great!
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Lyritsu
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Rash
I'm fine with him, but I find him a lil too laidback for a gym leader or maybe it's just me.
YAY FOR WATER TYPED GYMS~ <3

White 2: 4771-5552-0381
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM
The_Consumer

Whenever you go to his gym and talk to him, he finishes up by jumping into the water behind him and swimming away.

...I wonder where he goes? *conspiracy*
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:14 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
Haha I thought that Marlon was okay. Some of his phrases were lame but he was helpful in activating the bridge and helped you in defeating Team Plasma on their ship so that wasn't bad about him. Overall, I thought that he gym was insanely easy, I just swept his entire team with my powerful ampharos helping him to level up considerably. Overall, I thought that Marlon was okay and not super lame haha.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links