Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Pvt Tamama
Chii!

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
msn is dying off i can skype trying to save them it will work but the merging of all there data is going to cause so many problems and bugs
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I don't even use MSN, it was fun for a couple months but I'm a huge Skype girl. MSN is just... ew
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Tamama View Post
msn is dying off i can skype trying to save them it will work but the merging of all there data is going to cause so many problems and bugs
No problems or bugs so far, and the merging of contacts works just fine.
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM
NuclearWizard
Unhatched Egg

Interoperating them is good.

Combining them, maybe not.

I'll be having to use ICQ again because my friends that use MSN are migrating there.
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Kotowari
Will be back eventually
Community Supporter Tier 5

I'm not too happy about that. I've been using msn as a way of contacting my online friends since 2005, and I've grown pretty used to it. It's easy to share things, use custom emoticons and all that. I think WLM's popularity started to drop when they changed to 2010-2011 version. The lack of being able to change your name and the sudden disappearance of the pencil made a lot of people angry (just google it, the comments are usually negative). The forced switch from 2009 to 2011 a few months back wasn't very nice either. I understand why it has to happen, but I don't understand why they removed the two things that made msn so much much. I also have to add that the sudden integration of social networks isn't my cup of tea either.

I don't have facebook or twitter (and I'm not planning to any time soon)... therefore msn is will probably stay my main way of communicating with my global friends (and class mates). I only use skype for the occasional (very rare) video call, and I don't like it that much...
Something I must say is that a friend of mine isn't allowed to use skype on her (what do you call it) student chamber (?) because it supposedly asks too much from the internet. I don't think the change is beneficial for everyone.

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Again the only thing I miss is custom emoticons... it was the only reason why I use MSN and no replacements in existence seems to support custom emoticons.
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Cassino
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
I just seen this today, so I took a screenshot. I'm pretty sure this all just means that the two programs are becoming more compatible with one another, as opposed to merging.

Spoiler:
'Update to Skype' implies they will cease support for WLM (ie. client updates, I think).
Not that it really seems to matter; I've been using a 2009 build the whole time and had no problems. Newer WLM builds are probably worse than Skype, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
Again the only thing I miss is custom emoticons... it was the only reason why I use MSN and no replacements in existence seems to support custom emoticons.
I'm told they generally work on Trillian, which I'll be using if WLM ceases to exist entirely.

Last edited by Cassino; December 16th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Lateon
The Eon Follower

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
I'm not a fan of Skype, but I use pidgin for my iming needs so it isn't that big of a change

Forum Activity
Wifi Activity

Currently Working On

Old December 18th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Halloween!

To be honest, I don't like the idea of this merge.. I know Skype is owned by Microsoft, but they should at least keep the services separate. Not all people who use WLM use Skype and there are some who use both, so it wouldn't seem logical to those who use both.

Also, I use older builds on both Skype and WLM. I have to use an older version of WLM because it's the latest build for XP computers and I downgraded my Skype to a low number (4.1) because of the factor that Skype 6 slows down my computer more and Skype 4.1 lacks the advertisements.

Happy Halloween!
mod pairs family tumblr twitter pc social sites

Last edited by Tsutarja; December 18th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Well to be fair, MSN has been buggy lately (one of my contacts was easily taken over by a spambot), and I got a Skype account just to chat with my best online friend from San Francisco. My main concern about the merge is that will it affect our passowords if we're using two separate ones for each account?
Credit goes to KhanadianDaleks of imgur for the gif
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:47 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I really hope this isn't true. I HATE MSN... D:

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Bayonetta 2 and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Pokémon X

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old December 18th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I'm pretty upset by this. MSN is a lot more customizable and looks much better. D: Been trying to get into Skype but it's nowhere near as nice as MSN, so I'll be really upset when the switch is made.

rockin' | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Old December 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
Community Supporter

I've just updated to Windows 8, they're still including their Messenger as a pretty big part of the Windows package. Having integrated it to their Metro apps screen, as well as redesigning the entire program to be quite a nice looking interface. I still don't know how much I believe they're merging.
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:36 AM
PokéZoom
~Gotta Catch Em All

Nature: Serious
I can't say I care, but then again I'm one of those people who prefer Skype by 100 miles. But seriously, I don't know if I actually see them merging after what Abnegation just said.

It's the next chapter, the ultimate goal! Ready for battle, brave and bold!
PokéZoom.com | PokéZoom Forums | PokéZoom Oekaki
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:39 PM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
Community Supporter

Seems there's just a forever looping condition of contradictions. I'm inclined to think this is true, after seeing this however.
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:56 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Clearly, inter-departmental communications are a problem within Microsoft in this case. Unless the Messenger features were developed well before Skype was acquired.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here