The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.


Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #101    
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM
metalflygon08's Avatar
metalflygon08
BIG PECKS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Spoiler:

370. Close Combat-Counter animation over the Megahorn Background
380. Icicle Crash-Play Icicle spear's animation followed by Ice Ball's (so 3 little picks then the big one)
384. Volt Switch-Charge's animation then spark's
390. Drill Run-Drill Peck's animation over Fissure's backround
395. Force Palm-Arm Thrust over Guillotine's background
397. Rock Polish-Defense Curl's animation followed by Agility's?
402. Seed Bomb-Egg Bomb? over some sort of green backdrop (like the green the Drain moves load)
404. X-Scissor-Vice Grip plus the X-animation from the ends of Cross Chop and Leaf Blade
413. Brave Bird-Sky Attack's bird dive over Megahorn's backdrop
414. Earth Power-Eruption's falling rock animation over fissure backdrop
417. Nasty Plot-Amnesia over the Dark Backdrop
418. Bullet Punch-Harden animation followed by Mach Punch's animation
422. Thunder Fang-Bite+the thunderstrike from Tri Attack
423. Ice Fang-Bite+the frost from Tri Attack
424. Fire Fang-Bite+the flames from Tri Attack
425. Shadow Sneak-Ghost background+snatch's animation (where the user swipes behind the target)
426. Mud Bomb-Barrage's animation
427. Psycho Cut-Psychic background+Cut or scratch?
431. Rock Climb-Skull Bash's attacking animation with Rock Smash's animation right after
433. Leaf Tornado-Razor leaf and Twister?
435. Discharge-Charge's animation and then the sparks on the foe.
440. Cross Poison-Vicegrip+the poison animation
441. Gunk Shot-Sludge+Guillotine backdrop?
446. Hex-Mind Reader over the ghost backdrop
I tacked together some guesses for new move animations. I'm not entirely up to snuff on the limitations of move hacking so some of these may not be possible.
__________________

Current Fakemon Creation
  #102    
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalflygon08 View Post
I tacked together some guesses for new move animations. I'm not entirely up to snuff on the limitations of move hacking so some of these may not be possible.
lol the only ones you guessed correctly are Nasty Plot, Psycho Cut, and Leaf Tornado and possibly Discharge. The move expansion was the first thing I worked on this hack, and I did all of them during September & October, so I don't really remember most of them. Also keep in mind that I made quite a few custom backgrounds, for instance, for Bullet Punch I simply used Mach Punch but with a custom steel background. Here are all of the backgrounds I've inserted:


The ones with the Combee swarm and the blue and pink backgrounds right after that are in the ROM, but they won't be available in-game, because the Combee one is specifically for Attack Order, Heal Order, and Defend Order, and Vespiquen won't be in the game. The blue one is specifically for Roar of Time, and the pink one is specifically for Spacial Rend, but Dialga & Palkia won't be in the game either. The reason why I put in backgrounds that won't be available in-game is because DarkViolet is based off of this ROM base I made that has all these moves, and I plan on making sequels/sidequels to DarkViolet, and one of them will have Pokemon such as Vespiquen, Dialga, and Palkia.

Also the second background won't be available in DarkViolet because its part of Aeroblast's new animation, and Lugia won't be in DarkViolet. But Lugia will definitely be in the planned sequel (DarkCrystal), so you'll be able to see the new Aeroblast there
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
  #103    
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:08 PM
Uzigunner's Avatar
Uzigunner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
I would stick with no 16 for Flare Blitz and no. 4 for Overheat if I were u, and I gotta say, this hack is nothing short of awesome. Great story, great backgrounds (first time I have ever seen a hack like this) and awesome expectations. I suspect a possible winner for the Hack of the Year. Good luck bro, your gonna hit this out of the park by the way your going right now
  #104    
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:19 PM
dreamengine's Avatar
dreamengine
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
lol the only ones you guessed correctly are Nasty Plot, Psycho Cut, and Leaf Tornado and possibly Discharge. The move expansion was the first thing I worked on this hack, and I did all of them during September & October, so I don't really remember most of them. Also keep in mind that I made quite a few custom backgrounds, for instance, for Bullet Punch I simply used Mach Punch but with a custom steel background.
I really love the backgrounds. Curious how did you make the backgrounds such as the fire and dragon ones? Did you draw it all by hand because that's just simply amazing.
__________________
I support...
  #105    
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:16 AM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamengine View Post
I really love the backgrounds. Curious how did you make the backgrounds such as the fire and dragon ones? Did you draw it all by hand because that's just simply amazing.
The ones I drew by hand was the Aeroblast background, and the "extreme water" background (NOT THE WATERFALL).

The rest I didn't draw by hand. Most of them were made like this:
1. go to Google Images and type in "seamless _____ background" (such as seamless fire background)
2. Using Gimp, edit the background to my liking
3. Resize it to 128x128
4. Index it to 16 colors with Irfanview
5. Since the Ghost-type background that's already in-game uses a 128x128 background, I don't have to make a custom tilemap, I just have the custom backgrounds use the tilemap of the Ghost background.
6. Insert the indexed backgrounds into free space with unLZ
7. Using a hex editor, manually edit the background table (that I repointed and extended) and type in the correct pointers by hand. (this was really annoying and took forever, but it was so worth it)
8. Within the attack animations, have the background command use one of the new entries

However, a several of them required custom tilemaps. Those ones were:
1. the Waterfall BG
2. the Aeroblast BG
3. the "grass type" BG
4. the "extreme water" BG
5. the Wind Shatter BG

As for the Attack Order/Heal Order/Defend Order background (the one with a bunch of Combees), I just got a picture of Combee from Bulbapedia and then resized it, and the arranged it in away so that it can be repeated seamlessly, and indexed + resized it, then inserted it.

In case it isn't obvious, the Waterfall and "grass type" BGs are from D/P/Pt/HG/SS.

EDIT: https://www.google.com/search?q=seam...E5T3qQGX54GYAw

Look at the first result. Seem familiar? XD
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
  #106    
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:43 AM
dreamengine's Avatar
dreamengine
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post

The rest I didn't draw by hand. Most of them were made like this:
1. go to Google Images and type in "seamless _____ background" (such as seamless fire background)
2. Using Gimp, edit the background to my liking
3. Resize it to 128x128
4. Index it to 16 colors with Irfanview
5. Since the Ghost-type background that's already in-game uses a 128x128 background, I don't have to make a custom tilemap, I just have the custom backgrounds use the tilemap of the Ghost background.
6. Insert the indexed backgrounds into free space with unLZ
7. Using a hex editor, manually edit the background table (that I repointed and extended) and type in the correct pointers by hand. (this was really annoying and took forever, but it was so worth it)
8. Within the attack animations, have the background command use one of the new entries
Lol that's really good to know because I was like dang he must be a really talented artist. Curious is the raging water BG public since you did post your tilemap on a different thread to try as an example.
__________________
I support...
  #107    
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
SSJ4 Furanki's Avatar
SSJ4 Furanki
Got my Zoroark and everything!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 21
Nature: Hasty
The R/S/E style tiles with a slight 4th Gen look, are nice, the palletes as well. I'm sure the only reason people thought R/S/E tiles looked kinda bad were the palletes. Grapjically, I'm impressed with everything you've done so far! It's nice to see you're doing your own canon, something a lot of people wouldn't attempt. The only odditiy I noticed graphic-wise is Red's hair is dark gray-black in the front sprite and the the back has brown. But, that's more of a nitpick than anything else. Can't wait to see this come out!
__________________
Hacks I'm currently working on:
DarkCopper (Only at 1st Gym Area)

My X/Y Team:

  #108    
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Bix Nood
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Male
This hack is not getting the hype it ****ing deserves. From what the screenies show, its graphical appeal is much, much, much better than Light Platinum itself.
  #109    
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Here's a present for you guys! Alpha 1!

This alpha contains these areas:
Pallet Town
Route 1
Viridian City
Route 2
Route 22
Viridian Forest

The following Pokémon are obtainable in this Alpha:
Spoiler:
Bulbasaur
Ivysaur
Venusaur
Charmander
Charmeleon
Charizard
Squirtle
Wartortle
Blastoise
Pidgey
Pidgeotto
Pidgeot
Rattata
Raticate
Spearow
Fearow
Nidoran (female)
Nidorina
Nidoran (male)
Nidorino
Mankey
Primeape
Igglybuff
Jigglypuff
Caterpie
Metapod
Butterfree
Weedle
Kakuna
Beedrill
Hoothoot
Noctowl
Pichu
Pikachu
Murkrow
Honchkrow


Also, please note, Green's running sprites have not yet been inserted, so I would prefer you to play as Red for now.

I realized that I haven't posted pics of Viridian Forest yet, so here's one:


Here is the download:
http://www.speedyshare.com/EP6GA/Dar...FixedAlpha.ips
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; January 6th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
  #110    
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Isaac's Avatar
Isaac
Ahola Bith
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Midgar
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
This Alpha's just awesome. I really liked it. Great work, Chaos Rush. Best of luck too.
__________________


Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
  #111    
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Just played through the whole thing.
LOVE IT LOVE LOOOOOVE IT!

This hack is even more amazing than i thought it would be, and that's just the alpha.
Regardless, I was bored : http://youtu.be/lMaDD155mP8
So I recorded myself playing through the whole thing.

You've no idea how long it took to upload....
__________________
gone.
  #112    
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Just played through the whole thing.
LOVE IT LOVE LOOOOOVE IT!

This hack is even more amazing than i thought it would be, and that's just the alpha.
Regardless, I was bored : http://youtu.be/lMaDD155mP8
So I recorded myself playing through the whole thing.

You've no idea how long it took to upload....
I'm glad you enjoyed the alpha, and even played through the whole thing.

But more importantly, thank God you uploaded that video! You pointed out a very serious oversight! Because you lost to your rival on Route 22, I forgot to reset the battle tracks because it only resets it if you win. I can't believe you went through all of Viridian Forest with that rival battle music! I don't think you even got to hear the standard trainer music!

Anyways, here is a fixed patch that should take care of that issue:
http://www.speedyshare.com/EP6GA/Dar...FixedAlpha.ips

Nintendork15, please re-download, cause you need to hear the standard battle music too XD
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; January 6th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
  #113    
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
timson733333's Avatar
timson733333
Me gusta.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stealth!
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Playing through the Alpha, and I noticed a typo- Professor Oak mentions "Virdian City" instead of "Viridian City" after you get your first Pokemon. Looks good so far.

Edit: The Pokemon Center graphics are a little messed up. If you look closely to the left or right, depending on which direction you're walking, you can sometimes see little bits of tiles flash briefly onto the screen.

Also, Green's running sprites are messed up (possibly not finished yet?)

Second edit: I don't know if it's because of the gender (I chose to play as a girl just to derp around,) but whenever I pass the ledges on Route 2, the game crashes.

Yet another edit: I can get past the ledges now, but only after I beat Blue on Route 22.
__________________
ROM hacking since 2008... and failing miserably still.


Learning how to hex edit. I'm not advanced in any way, and rely on tools most of the time.

deviantArt | YouTube

Last edited by timson733333; January 6th, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
  #114    
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Anyone who's already downloaded the alpha, please re-download it because I've fixed a major glitch that happens if you lose to your rival on Route 22.

Quote:
Edit: The Pokemon Center graphics are a little messed up. If you look closely to the left or right, depending on which direction you're walking, you can sometimes see little bits of tiles flash briefly onto the screen.
That happens in the original FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald, and its barely noticeable.

Quote:
Also, Green's running sprites are messed up (possibly not finished yet?)
I already addressed this on this very page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush
Also, please note, Green's running sprites have not yet been inserted, so I would prefer you to play as Red for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timson733333 View Post
Second edit: I don't know if it's because of the gender (I chose to play as a girl just to derp around,) but whenever I pass the ledges on Route 2, the game crashes.

Yet another edit: I can get past the ledges now, but only after I beat Blue on Route 22.
Drat. I know what's causing that, I forgot to include a release command for the battle music fix thing.

Try this instead:
http://www.speedyshare.com/EP6GA/Dar...FixedAlpha.ips

If you've already downloaded before I posted this current post, please download again. I just did a quick test, and finally everything is working as it should, music-wise.

EDIT: also guys, if you want to see some new/custom moves, use that "special prize" at the end of the alpha to your advantage.
Spoiler:

Bulbasaur will learn Seed Bomb
Bulbasaur family will learn Sludge Wave
Charmander family will learn Fire Fang
Charmander family will learn Flame Burst
Charmander family will learn Inferno
Charizard will learn Flare Blitz
Squirtle family will learn Aqua Tail
Caterpie and Weedle learns Bug Bite
Butterfree learns Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, and Rage Powder
Beedrill learns Poison Jab and Venom Rush
Pidgey family learns Air Slash and Hurricane
Fearow learns Drill Run
Pichu learns Nasty Plot at Lv18
Pikachu learns Static Hit at Lv18
Mankey family learns Iron Wheel and Close Combat
Murkrow family learns Brave Bird
Honchkrow learns Nasty Plot, Night Slash, and Dark Pulse

USE THOSE RARE CANDIES!!!!
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; January 6th, 2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
  #115    
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:38 PM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay's Avatar
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Pardon the use of Green here, but I can deal with borked running graphics so I played as her anyway. Also while this was the first alpha you put out, I played without sound and didn't run into any game-crashing bugs, which seems to be what you were fixing.

Wall of text:
Spoiler:



I'm aware that all the female protagonists are very thin but this sprite makes her look like more of a toothpick than the normal one :/



Terminator got trampled here and this fellow spits out some garbage after his dialogue.



Achievements, not ahcievements.



This looks a bit awkward- one question mark would probably do.



This might be intentional but this phrasing is very inorganic and certainly not what he means to say- taken literally he's saying that his pokemon is stronger than Green's guy's pokemon, but not necessarily her own. "Both of your pokemon" would work.



I don't know what to say about this other than that it looks absolutely ridiculous- it's funny, but more in the "Does he seriously expect us to take this game seriously?" way. It's also horribly forced and makes Red sound like a complete ass, which is something his other lines aren't helping with either.

Also, I hope that losing these rival battles doesn't result in a white-out. They depend heavily on luck with IVs and crits as there is no place to grind or catch anything else and only one Potion available (that I found anyway).



[10:29:38 PM] Sentient Mop: god that battle window
[10:29:42 PM] Sentient Mop: he should lighten it up a bit
[10:29:47 PM] Sentient Mop: it's a really stark contrast
[10:29:55 PM] Sentient Mop: THAT'S a proper opinion
[10:30:05 PM] Sentient Mop: (but seriously it's really jarring (worry) )
[10:30:09 PM] Jade: it should be a dark violet colour

I'm not one to ask about aesthetics but most of the people I've shown this hack to aren't terribly fond of this :/



I'm assuming you just haven't gotten around to it but I'd put the icon hack in, since I can tell you from experience it's easy to mess up and give a physical/special move the wrong classification and not know about it for a while.



I really don't like the free and infinite healing items here, along with the 10 potions being given for free- it doesn't help that they're practically required in the early trainer fights if you're unlucky with crits. Most people, to my knowledge, don't enter Viridian for the second time ready to fight two level 5s and a level 7 mon- they arrive with their starter and one or two freshly caught mons. Maybe you could push the Rockets to the north side of town so the Pokemon Center would be reachable?



I'm going to assume these prices being unedited was an oversight as they render Antidotes and Paralyz Heals completely redundant, not to mention that having Premier Balls on sale for $200 destroys their novelty value.



This doesn't look very comfortable. Also I'm going to be frank and say I do not like these tiles- the sideways stairs don't work well in gen 3 and the tiles to the right of where I'm standing in particular do not connect with either the stairs or the surrounding grass well.



I'm really questioning having Murkrow available this early- it is very much not an early-game mon. To give you an idea of how strong it is:



This was my party at the end of the alpha. After catching the Murkrow I left the forest to heal, put an Oran on Murkrow, re-entered the forest, and made it to the end without healing it at all or using my other mons. The item you see it holding is the same Oran I gave it going into the forest- this thing eats the place alive. Making matters worse it gains 60 BP STAB at level 15, which backed by its stats means it's going to keep on being effective afterwards. It doesn't help that vanilla Honchkrow is a very good mon in-game with EVs to patch up its speed.

Some stats, assuming you haven't tweaked them:
Murkrow: 60/85/42/85/42/91
Pidgeotto: 63/60/55/50/50/71
Raticate: 55/81/60/50/70/97
Beedrill: 65/80/40/45/80/75
Butterfree: 60/45/50/80/80/70

That said I do like Murkrow as a mon- it's just a bit over-centralizing this early.

Also, on no particular note, I was expecting Mom to give me something when she got up at the start of the game, and was rather disappointed when she didn't. You could probably off-load part of the pile of items Daisy gives you to her- Running Shoes in particular would be nice (:


Having said all of this, it's nice to see a hack dabbling with moves and changing the core game around.
__________________

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
  #116    
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
Pardon the use of Green here, but I can deal with borked running graphics so I played as her anyway. Also while this was the first alpha you put out, I played without sound and didn't run into any game-crashing bugs, which seems to be what you were fixing.
Thank you for playing this! It's a shame you didn't play with sound though - I put a lot of effort into the custom music in this game, I would appreciate it if you play through it again with sound.


Quote:


I'm aware that all the female protagonists are very thin but this sprite makes her look like more of a toothpick than the normal one :/
Now that you point that out, her mid section does look a bit too thin. I will address that in Beta 1.

Quote:


Terminator got trampled here and this fellow spits out some garbage after his dialogue.
I already fixed that when I re-uploaded the patch.

Quote:


Achievements, not ahcievements.
I will fix this for Beta 1, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:


This looks a bit awkward- one question mark would probably do.
It doesn't bother me, because the modern Pokemon games do this sometimes.

Ghetsis in Black/White: "I AM PERFECTION!!!"
(yes, with three exclamation marks, in an official Pokemon game)

Quote:


This might be intentional but this phrasing is very inorganic and certainly not what he means to say- taken literally he's saying that his pokemon is stronger than Green's guy's pokemon, but not necessarily her own. "Both of your pokemon" would work.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will change that.

Quote:


I don't know what to say about this other than that it looks absolutely ridiculous- it's funny, but more in the "Does he seriously expect us to take this game seriously?" way. It's also horribly forced and makes Red sound like a complete ass, which is something his other lines aren't helping with either.
Since Blue acts like an ass to Red and Green, I think its okay for Red and Green to act like an ass to Blue as well, since they're nice to the player.

Quote:
Also, I hope that losing these rival battles doesn't result in a white-out. They depend heavily on luck with IVs and crits as there is no place to grind or catch anything else and only one Potion available (that I found anyway).
They do result in a white-out, because I didn't want Oak's stupid battle commentary. And they're not hard at all, there's a reason why each starter Pokemon gets two moves to begin with. Growl and Tail Whip are actually very helpful in these battles, speaking from experience.

Quote:


[10:29:38 PM] Sentient Mop: god that battle window
[10:29:42 PM] Sentient Mop: he should lighten it up a bit
[10:29:47 PM] Sentient Mop: it's a really stark contrast
[10:29:55 PM] Sentient Mop: THAT'S a proper opinion
[10:30:05 PM] Sentient Mop: (but seriously it's really jarring (worry) )
[10:30:09 PM] Jade: it should be a dark violet colour

I'm not one to ask about aesthetics but most of the people I've shown this hack to aren't terribly fond of this :/
I'm afraid this will never change. The colors are exactly the same as in Pokemon Platinum, and the design is modeled after Pokemon Platinum, and I really like how it looks, so I wont change it.

Unless they were talking about the text box, I'm not going to change that either because people were fine with FR/LG's dark text box, and I think my dark text box looks freaking awesome. However, I will admit I darkened it a bit from FR/LG, I might lighten it back up, or even use R/S/E colors.

Quote:


I'm assuming you just haven't gotten around to it but I'd put the icon hack in, since I can tell you from experience it's easy to mess up and give a physical/special move the wrong classification and not know about it for a while.
You are correct, I havent put the icon hack in yet. But last time I checked, there's a minor glitch involving it, which is why I haven't put it in yet. Even if it doesn't get fixed, I will put it in for Beta 1 regardless of the minor graphic glitch it causes.

Quote:


I really don't like the free and infinite healing items here, along with the 10 potions being given for free- it doesn't help that they're practically required in the early trainer fights if you're unlucky with crits. Most people, to my knowledge, don't enter Viridian for the second time ready to fight two level 5s and a level 7 mon- they arrive with their starter and one or two freshly caught mons. Maybe you could push the Rockets to the north side of town so the Pokemon Center would be reachable?
Originally, I had the Berry tree on Route 1 gave you one Oran Berry. I changed it to three because of these early Viridian battles. Same reason why I had the Poke Mart guy give you ten freaking Potions, because of the Rocket battles.

Moving the event to the top of the city is not a bad idea however, since it would allow us to use some Pokemon from Route 22 in the fights. I may consider it.

Quote:


I'm going to assume these prices being unedited was an oversight as they render Antidotes and Paralyz Heals completely redundant, not to mention that having Premier Balls on sale for $200 destroys their novelty value.
Actually, the reason why I had him sell these berries is because Antidotes and Paralyz Heals aren't available at all, because I changed the Poke Mart item system to how its like in Black/White/Black 2/White 2. You can't buy Antidotes or Paralyz Heals until you get 1 Badge in B/W/B2/W2, same with DarkViolet. But because of Viridian Forest and its Thunder-Waving-Pichu's and Poison-Stinging-Weedles, I included these items.

As for Premier Balls, in the main games, the only way to get a Premier Ball is to buy something at a Poke Mart with at least the quantity of 10. This feature was removed in FR/LG, and I don't know how to put it back in. So I gave that guy Premier Balls, and its the only place in the whole game where you can get it.

Quote:


This doesn't look very comfortable. Also I'm going to be frank and say I do not like these tiles- the sideways stairs don't work well in gen 3 and the tiles to the right of where I'm standing in particular do not connect with either the stairs or the surrounding grass well.
The overlapping cliff thingy is a tile error, thanks for pointing it out. I will fix that for Beta 1.

But the tiles, they aren't changing, simply because I'm fine with how they look, and they look far more detailed than FR/LG's Viridian Forest.

Quote:


I'm really questioning having Murkrow available this early- it is very much not an early-game mon.

To give you an idea of how strong it is:



This was my party at the end of the alpha. After catching the Murkrow I left the forest to heal, put an Oran on Murkrow, re-entered the forest, and made it to the end without healing it at all or using my other mons. The item you see it holding is the same Oran I gave it going into the forest- this thing eats the place alive. Making matters worse it gains 60 BP STAB at level 15, which backed by its stats means it's going to keep on being effective afterwards. It doesn't help that vanilla Honchkrow is a very good mon in-game with EVs to patch up its speed.


Some stats, assuming you haven't tweaked them:
Murkrow: 60/85/42/85/42/91
Pidgeotto: 63/60/55/50/50/71
Raticate: 55/81/60/50/70/97
Beedrill: 65/80/40/45/80/75
Butterfree: 60/45/50/80/80/70

That said I do like Murkrow as a mon- it's just a bit over-centralizing this early.
I don't see any problem with putting Murkrow in Viridian Forest because:
1) It has a 5% encounter rate, you won't be seeing it much anyway
2) It has a catch rate of 30, and thus is a lot harder to catch than the other mons in that area, few people will be using it anyway
3) If someone went through all the trouble of catching Murkrow in DarkViolet, then Murkrow better be a damn good Pokemon
4) Pokemon Diamond got away with putting Murkrows in Eterna Forest and no one complained
5) Where else would I put Murkrow, really. I mean, yeah, I could put it next to Celadon like in G/S/C, but that was only at night, and DarkViolet doesn't have a day/night system (and it never will), so it would feel weird to run into Murkrow's next to Celadon City. So putting it in the forest is a much better idea.

Murkrow is supposed to be a prize, that's why its rare, strong, and hard to catch.

Quote:
Also, on no particular note, I was expecting Mom to give me something when she got up at the start of the game, and was rather disappointed when she didn't. You could probably off-load part of the pile of items Daisy gives you to her- Running Shoes in particular would be nice (:
I may consider it, playing through it did felt kinda weird when Mom doesn't give you anything. But no Pokemon game gives you Running Shoes right off the bat, you have to play for a bit.

But seeing as this is my re-invention of Pokemon, I may change that rule

Quote:
Having said all of this, it's nice to see a hack dabbling with moves and changing the core game around.
Thank you, and I appreciate you playing through this. I strongly recommend playing through it with sound however, because there's a crapload of custom music that I put a lot of effort into.

Here's a list of all of the completely new songs in DarkViolet's Alpha 1:
Spoiler:
1. Pallet Town
2. Blue Battle
3. Green's Theme
4. Red's Theme
5. Green & Red Battle (similar to Blue Battle but one huge difference at the end)
6. Pokemon Center
7. Route 22
8. Wild Battle
9. Youngster Encounter
10. Trainer Battle
11. Team Rocket Encounter
12. Team Rocket Battle
13. Kamon's Theme
14. Kamon Battle


Here's a list of songs that were edited (mainly key-adjusted) from FR/LG (so far in Alpha 1):
Spoiler:
1. Oak's Theme
2. Oak's Lab
3. Viridian City


The only song in the alpha that's exactly the same as FR/LG is Viridian Forest, the "defeat wild Pokemon" theme, and the Gatehouse theme, which uses the FR/LG Mystery Gift music.
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; January 6th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
  #117    
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:23 PM
345200's Avatar
345200
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
I in the original on the patch,but to open the game is a white screen,What is the reason?
  #118    
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Kilstor's Avatar
Kilstor
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345200 View Post
I in the original on the patch,but to open the game is a white screen,What is the reason?
You must go to game save type and then click on Flash 128K. Then the game must be working...
__________________
http://www.pokecommunity.com/signaturepics/sigpic356186_1.gif
  #119    
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:10 PM
dreamengine's Avatar
dreamengine
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Male
The alpha was excellent. The battle backgrounds, hp bar, and text box are all very pleasing to the eye. Not to the mention your sprites from the 64x64 project. The only real problem I have is with the tree. It looks...weird, but that's your choice. Other than that well done.
__________________
I support...
  #120    
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Regardless, going through the Forest with the rival's theme rocked!
The trainer theme is cool too! <3


This doesn't look right, is that suppose to happen?

Also, The Beta 1 will be eaasy as pie, now that I've got an uber team in line already x3
__________________
gone.
  #121    
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345200 View Post
I in the original on the patch,but to open the game is a white screen,What is the reason?
Well you've hardly given any information. All I can say is make sure your save type is 128k, and make sure you're patching to a FireRed ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamengine View Post
The alpha was excellent. The battle backgrounds, hp bar, and text box are all very pleasing to the eye. Not to the mention your sprites from the 64x64 project. The only real problem I have is with the tree. It looks...weird, but that's your choice. Other than that well done.
Thank you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Regardless, going through the Forest with the rival's theme rocked!
mehhhh forget about that glitch!!!!

Quote:
The trainer theme is cool too! <3
Thank you.

Quote:

This doesn't look right, is that suppose to happen?
No, it's not. I guess I'll release an Alpha 1.1 to address minor issues once I get more feedback.

Quote:
Also, The Beta 1 will be eaasy as pie, now that I've got an uber team in line already x3
Actually that won't be possible because for Beta 1, I've already made changes that will render save files from the Alpha incompatible (in the alpha, I did a really cheap solution to the trainer battle music glitch, and thus it became separate from my main file. In my main file, I've done a more stable fix that involves variables, hence why save files won't be compatible). The only reason why I included the "special prize" at the end is so people can see some of the Gen IV/Gen V/custom moves I've inserted by leveling up the Pokemon.

And I'm putting effort to make sure the difficulty is balanced, I would be very disappointed if people cheat in some Rare Candies and played through the game like that
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
  #122    
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Well you've hardly given any information. All I can say is make sure your save type is 128k, and make sure you're patching to a FireRed ROM.


Thank you.



mehhhh forget about that glitch!!!!


Thank you.


No, it's not. I guess I'll release an Alpha 1.1 to address minor issues once I get more feedback.


Actually that won't be possible because for Beta 1, I've already made changes that will render save files from the Alpha incompatible (in the alpha, I did a really cheap solution to the trainer battle music glitch, and thus it became separate from my main file. In my main file, I've done a more stable fix that involves variables, hence why save files won't be compatible). The only reason why I included the "special prize" at the end is so people can see some of the Gen IV/Gen V/custom moves I've inserted by leveling up the Pokemon.

And I'm putting effort to make sure the difficulty is balanced, I would be very disappointed if people cheat in some Rare Candies and played through the game like that
I wasn't gonna use them anyway.
Would of started new game, there's most likely bound to be some form of change here or there.
Also, my girlfriend played the hack too, she couldn't get enough of the Mother music and the emulators in Green's Room. x3

She also asks, are you fan of the series? obviously you are.
__________________
gone.
  #123    
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Also, my girlfriend played the hack too, she couldn't get enough of the Mother music and the emulators in Green's Room. x3
YESYESYESYESYES THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! I was worried that no one would recognize the Mother music quote I put into Red/Green's theme!

Quote:
She also asks, are you fan of the series? obviously you are.
Yes, I am a huge fan of the Mother series, and I have played through all 3 games. When I was writing the story for DarkViolet, I was playing through Mother 2 (aka EarthBound), and finished the script by the time I was done with Mother 3, so those games rather not-so-happy atmosphere definitely had an influence on the new plot.

Also, I aim for DarkViolet's difficulty to be on par with Mother 2 and Mother 3. Not Mother 1, since that's ridiculously hard (which is pretty common for a NES JRPG) XD. I realized when playing through the Mother series that the Pokemon games have such low difficulty, and that the Mother games proved that its possible to have a higher difficulty without having the game considered broken (although Mother 1 can be argued by many as broken XD)

That's another reason why I don't want people cheating in future betas, because I'm putting effort into balancing the difficulty so that its harder than the average Pokemon game, but its not broken either.

Don't worry, this game will be easier than Mother 1, but on-par with Mother 2 & 3, and B2/W2 Challenge Mode.
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
  #124    
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:55 PM
metalflygon08's Avatar
metalflygon08
BIG PECKS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Amazing, you are not allowed to quit this hack, ever, we will hunt you down lol.

One quip though, the battles at the start of the game, maybe have like 2 potions available? I severly struggled through them (save states to the rescue!) Charmander can't do squat to squirtle.

In all honesty though, I think my charmander has crap IVs.


Also, Fire Fang's animation, maybe instead of ember, the flames from the end animation of Flame Wheel? (the spreading flame burst) Speaking of Flame Burst, wouldn't the fire from Dragon Rage work better than ember too (the large fire ball launched before the eruptions)

Oh and a movement error!
The last set of <->steps before you leave viridian forest, you can walk down off of them (it's the steps that lead to the last item)
__________________

Current Fakemon Creation

Last edited by metalflygon08; January 7th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
  #125    
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Chaos Rush's Avatar
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylor Swift
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Uploaded final Alpha revision. It contains the following changes:
*Your PC now contains 3 Sitrus Berries at the start of the game, which will make the initial battles a bit easier, especially for Charmander people (the main problem was that Charmander became screwed since I updated the attacks to Gen V standard, meaning that Bulbasaur and Squirtle now have 50 power Tackle, while Charmander is stuck with 40 power Scratch. This wasn't a problem in the Unova games because all the Unova starters had Tackle. But I'm basing my movesets closely on B2/W2, and I'm afraid Charmander will be stuck with Scratch).
*Missing signpost on Route 22 added
*Viridian Forest movement permissions edited to remove all tile-related glitches

Check the first post for this final Alpha download.

Beta 1 will have a bit more changes to Viridian Forest, as I just checked on my HeartGold version that it has flowers, which will be added for Beta 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalflygon08 View Post
One quip though, the battles at the start of the game, maybe have like 2 potions available? I severly struggled through them (save states to the rescue!) Charmander can't do squat to squirtle.
I think 3 Sitrus Berries in today's update will be enough


Quote:
Also, Fire Fang's animation, maybe instead of ember, the flames from the end animation of Flame Wheel? (the spreading flame burst) Speaking of Flame Burst, wouldn't the fire from Dragon Rage work better than ember too (the large fire ball launched before the eruptions)
The problem with that is that Dragon Rage and Flame Burst would have the exact same animation, and I don't want 2 moves having the exact same animation.

Quote:
Oh and a movement error!
The last set of <->steps before you leave viridian forest, you can walk down off of them (it's the steps that lead to the last item)
Fixed with today's update
__________________

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS


Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.