The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Twilight Sky
» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪

Send a message via AIM to Twilight Sky Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight Sky Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight Sky

Advertise here
Call me gullible, but I believe him.

I'm(possibly) in the minority that thinks he isn't lying, but there's no definite proof out there to say that he's telling the absolute truth, either. In that sense, my response is more or less with droomph's.

Either way, I personally wouldn't be so quick to shoot this down. I'm pretty skeptical myself, but I'm not dismissing it in any manner.
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:59 PM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter's Dew View Post
Call me gullible, but I believe him.

I'm(possibly) in the minority that thinks he isn't lying, but there's no definite proof out there to say that he's telling the absolute truth, either. In that sense, my response is more or less with droomph's.

Either way, I personally wouldn't be so quick to shoot this down. I'm pretty skeptical myself, but I'm not dismissing it in any manner.

I know this is off-topic, but there was this other news story about a man who is going to jump off of a desert mountain somewhere in Nevada on the day of the 2012 "apocalypse", and he claims that Jesus will reappear and save him from the fall.

Now... go ahead and color me a horrible person, but I would LOVE to see this televised.
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
F U C K PC! WAY TOO STRICT!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
I'm not buying it, simple as that. He may be telling the truth but theres not enough evidince to convince me otherwise. There's so many factors that it could be, out of body experience, dream, lucid dream, etc. In an out of body experience, if handled right you can do or believe what you want even though it's not true. Lucid dreams are the same exact way but it's only with the mind. I really find it hard to believe someone actually seen the afterlife, and this brings science into the equation.

Some people go by science as they're answers for religion, and science hasn't found anything to prove heaven, God, or Jesus exists. Christians only believe in God or Jesus through the bible, belief, or maybe the way they were raised. I myself am a christain but I don't follow religion, and I have my doubs about things but It's all my belief that God of Jesus is real. But, he could be telling the truth or he could be lying. I kinda agree with droomph's theory tho.
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Could've been tripping, though.
Given that he was in an out of body experience at the time, then yeah, this is probably the most accurate depiction of what he went through. The brain does all sorts of weird things when it thinks its dying.
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:29 PM
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
Don't doubt he had the experience, do doubt he had the experience during the time his cortex was "off," or whatever. I don't get why he assumes is vision didn't occur in the time the functions of his cortex were functioning again. I also don't get why he rejects its uncanny similarity to a DMT experience. Not only is it in the same ball park, it's indistinguishable from just about any DMT report you could randomly select from Erowid. I'm not trying to invalidate the significance of this experience to his spiritual growth, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and the evidence this man is using to back the extraordinary claim that consciousness is independent of the brain, was, at best, lazily constructed and tendentiously presented. Maybe I have to read the book, though.

Now I hate to derail the topic, but brief question to those who hold onto the belief that science and religion contradict each other. While they are very different fields, I've only seen religious literalists make claims that go against verifiable evidence. Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. e: forgot to post the question, great job. Must science be seen as something that can "disprove" religion? Why? What does that even mean? I don't feel like making a separate thread. pm me your thoughts.

Last edited by outfox; December 26th, 2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: wups
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Rain Dancer
Wanderer

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Link

Any thoughts? A textbook out of body experience, or divine intervention?
I think the experience might have been real, but not his 'christianized' interpretation.. From my personal experience, OBE's and such are natural when consciousness (Soul/spirit) goes for a stroll outside dense body matter.

Maybe the religion part came when he came back from his experience and then the old self kicked in. Interpretation + christianity + book = profit?

Or there's something more to it, some things he might be hiding.

But I haven't read his book so I don't really know what to say other than speculate.

I feel like my views differ from that of all the professional neurosurgeons who posted in this thread.
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:50 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
He probably came out of the coma in his sleep and had a dream right before he woke up. Clearly not a scientist, as a scientist wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that he'd been to heaven.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Wandering~Leaf
-Mordor and Eldar Supporter :3

Nature: Modest
Ehh...I'm not saying that guy didn't experience that experience, since it's completely possible. But I don't really know much about him, soo...

But of course, I do believe Heaven and Hell exist, along with God and Jesus Christ. *Shrugs*. Deal.

"Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it and to last only so long as it too should last."
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Shiny Bidoof
On fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Given that he was in an out of body experience at the time, then yeah, this is probably the most accurate depiction of what he went through. The brain does all sorts of weird things when it thinks its dying.
A lot of "near-death" experiences have been attributed to DMT. It gives people very "real" dreams that they believe actually happened. Many of them are influenced by religion.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here