The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:56 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Update 3:

Bug Monotype on Fire Red

Before getting onto the S.S. Anne, I battled a few trainers and Paras evolved into a Parasect I then got myself into the S.S. Anne. So, I had to make my way around the S.S. Anne to get Cut, and I did so. Surprisingly, Butterfree's Confusion and Sleep Powder combo defeated everyone and also KO'ed all of Gary's Pokemon. I got to the Captain and received Cut, taught it to Beedrill and managed to get into the Vermillion Gym. I only had to battle the guy by the electric link fence as the switches were located on the bins in the first row. I easily defeated the trainer and then found myself up against Lt. Surge. Parasect took care of Voltorb and Pikachu; when Raichu was sent out I switched in Butterfree so it was able to put it to sleep only to switch back to Parasect and defeat Raichu. 3 Pokemon so far, going well and now headed for Venomoth.

Old December 31st, 2012, 01:12 PM
diamondmutt1111
A wild summer appeared!

Nature: Lax
Dang...so many posts! well anyways, I am signing up for an Ultimate Mono-type Water Challenge!

Sign-up sheet:

Username: diamondmutt1111 (in game is Brooke)
Type: Water
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: Blue, Crystal, Sapphire, Platinum, Black

What I have decided to do for my Mono-type Challenges (yes, I am doing an Ultimate for each type) is in order to mix it up a bit, each Mono-type Challenge will have 1 Trainer (meaning the Player is always named _____ , ex: Brooke or Joey). I have actually started Crystal and I just beat Bugsy. My team consists of:

Godzilla the Female Croconaw
(a female starter??? O_O)

HerpDerp the Male Wooper
(gonna change his name to Ralph)

Floopy the Male Slowpoke

I hope it's ok I started with Crystal instead of Blue. More to come once I beat Morty.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi
#swablunest/Youtube/Blogger

Last edited by diamondmutt1111; December 31st, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:41 PM
serithanz
Unhatched Egg

Update #1, For my rock type mono challenge in firered.
Chose Charmander so rival would pick squirtle, rushed to mt.moon
Caught Geodude, raised him up a bit, boxed the now Charmeleon.
Mt.moon was easy, cerulean city not so much. Evolved Geodude to Graveler, beat rival, (could not beat him until geodude was graveler, squirtle water gun was a one shot)
Even in the late 20s Graveler was still getting one shot by misty, went to Vermillion, defeated all trainers there, Graveler was in the mid 30s by now.
Went back to cerulean defeated misty, graveler surived one water pulse then one shot starmie.
Caught an Onix, trained him up a bit, taught him dig, he sweeped the 3rd gym easily.
Went through rock tunnel, was actually a bit tough with all those poke maniac, slowpokes.
Got to lavender town, faced rival, beat him easily.
Evolved Graveler into a Golem.
Team so far:
Level 27 Docile Onix:
Moves: Tackle, Screech, Dig, Rock Throw

Level 40 Lax Golem:
Moves: Mega Punch, Selfdestruct, Magnitude, Rock Throw

Onto Celadon...
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:15 PM
Gulpin
poisonous
Community Supporter

I've gotten quite a bit done since my last update. I caught a Deerling and leveled it up to be even with the rest of my team. Then I defeated Team Plasma at the Cold Storage and then I defeated Clay, earning my fifth gym badge. I continued on to Route 6, defeating Bianca first. I quickly went to Chargestone Cave, where I caught my final team member, Ferroseed. Before moving on I went ahead and evolved Servine, Cottonee, and Deerling into Serperior, Whimsicott, and Sawsbuck as I trained Ferroseed and evened out my team's levels. Once I did that, I quicky went through Chargestone Cave and defeated N once I got to the end. Next I went through Mistralton to Route 7 to find Skyla at Celestial Tower. Then I went back to Mistralton and took on Skyla, defeating her and earning my sixth badge. Next I went to Twist Mountain after defeating Cheren, and was able to quickly make my way through because of the snow. However, I managed to evolve Ferroseed into Ferrothorn before I left. Once I got to Icirrus I made my way straight to the gym where I surprisingly defeated Brycen fairly easily. As soon as I walked outside I was confronted with the news about Team Plasma, and I did the mandatory evil-team quest as I have in every previous generation about this time. I sped through Dragonspiral Tower and the Relic Castle so I could move on with the Gym challenge, and I visited Nacrene City before continuing my travels on Route 8. I quickly slid my way across the route and ran through Tubline Bridge, but not before defeating Bianca. I sneaked my way past the trainers on Route 9 and went straight to the gym once I made it to Opelucid City. The gym wasn't too difficult, but it wasn't very easy either. However, I made it out with my final gym badge of my entire challenge! I made my way through the first half of Route 10, but stopped before battling Cheren so I could Audino grind a little bit (which is what I'm doing as I am typing). I'm getting the whole team up to level 47 right now and if I feel like it I may give them all a few more levels before moving on. Here is the team right now (disregard the uneven levels):

Serperior / Lv47 / Leaf Blade, Strength, Aerial Ace, Giga Drain
Leavanny / Lv44 / X-Scissor, Leaf Blade, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab
Whimsicott / Lv47 / Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Hurricane
Sawsbuck / Lv44 / Jump Kick, Faint Attack, Horn Leech, Megahorn
Ferrothorn / Lv47 / Power Whip, Iron Head, Gyro Ball, Bulldoze

Quote:
✔Pokemon Blue Version
✔Pokemon Silver Version
✔Pokemon Sapphire Version
✔Pokemon Diamond Version
Pokemon Black Version

Type: Grass
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:36 PM
Necrum
The most dapper evil genius

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Stop. Anymore of this argument after this post is getting deleted and possibly infracted. This shouldn't have to be such an issue. And Griffinbane is a girl.
Thanks Syd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James901 View Post
I have a question. What if Ellipsai were to hack in that Eevee earlier on so she could just use it from the start instead of waiting until she gets to Hearthome City? I ask this because I like to do that, I don't like using other pokemon at all for my challenges that I'm not going to use for my final team.

An example would be, when I start emerald for my ultimate bug challenge I plan to hack Wurmple as my starter so I can use it for all the beginning stuff. Wurmple is the earliest catchable bug type so I wouldn't be bringing another pokemon earlier so I can have Wurmple and, let's say a Nincada. I would just making it so I can have that 1 Wurmple a little earlier than normal and I would catch all the other bug pokemon normally.

And Ellipsai don't worry about not having enough pokemon for your team, you can get Abomasnow, Weavile, Mamoswine, Froslass, Glalie, Glaceon, and Jynx (post-game), thats more then enough for a team of 6. I should know, I played platinum for the sinnoh part of my ultimate ice challenge. I hope you go through with it, sure you get most of your members later on, but its a fun challenge.
No go, sorry but hacking in a Pokemon is not allowed unless a Pokemon of your type, or that evolves into your type, cannot be found before the third Gym. There is no leeway on this at all. That rule has been the same for a long time. I have researched old Monotype threads and this has always been the case. Although, back in the day, there have been threads that absolutely banned hacking completely, so be glad that I let you guys hack when necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHoundoom View Post
So uh...did the owner of the thread see my challenge posting near the bottom of the last page (Page 26). The long conversation that happened might have covered it up. If it was seen but not posted, I apologize. I was just making sure that my challenge was noticed. Oh and a question, is there a minimum amount of pokemon for a mono-type run?
I saw your updates. Don't worry. I'm doing this on a weekly update system. So in a couple of days I'll go through all the recent posts and update the list. That way I don't have to update the thread every couple of hours... XD

I'm instituting a minimum of 2 Pokemon. Primarily because using a single Pokemon kind of defeats the purpose of doing a monotype, especially if that Pokemon has 2 types. The whole point of this challenge is to beat the game using a team who shares a common trait. If you only use one Pokemon, then there is no trait to share.
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:49 PM
A Shadow's Soul
Waaaaaaaaaat?
Community Supporter

What is the rule on a dupe clause? I don't think I saw one in the rules.

~ Mell - Red Fraction ~
Hi I'm Adam ~ Showdown ~ VM ~

Old December 31st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Necrum

While using dupes is certainly not encouraged, I'm not gonna force anyone to use only one of a particular Pokemon. But it would be a little obnoxious to complete a Monotype using 6 Gyarados. Also, if someone did do that, I would only count it as one Monotype. Stacking types voids the whole point of the challenge.
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:15 PM
A Shadow's Soul
Waaaaaaaaaat?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecrumWarrior View Post
While using dupes is certainly not encouraged, I'm not gonna force anyone to use only one of a particular Pokemon. But it would be a little obnoxious to complete a Monotype using 6 Gyarados. Also, if someone did do that, I would only count it as one Monotype. Stacking types voids the whole point of the challenge.
Was just thinking would it be acceptable to do a Green Mono colour for Fire Red and Using Venasaur and 2 Victreebells so it would count for Mono-type aswell, I know I keep trying to do this Multi challenge thing I just feel it makes it a little harder

~ Mell - Red Fraction ~
Hi I'm Adam ~ Showdown ~ VM ~

Old December 31st, 2012, 04:36 PM
Dr. Slavic
Last of the Wailords

-- Update 2 --

Only two gyms this time, but this was a HUGE update to play. Between getting lost in Dark Cave and the Game Corner, this took a good length. Koga was just unbelievably stupid, he seriously could have beaten me with that Weezing, but instead he used Selfdestruct! Unbelievable. And with how Critical Hits worked the first generation, now that Gambit has Slash, every attack from him is a Critical Hit, it’s a little insane.

Spoiler:
- Went through Diglett Tunnel and received Flash
- Caught Abra - Flash (HM Slave)
- Returned to Cerulean City and headed east
- Entered Dark Cave
- After many hardships, left Dark Cave
- Arrived in Lavender Town
- Entered Pokemon Tower
- Fourth battle with Xerxes
- Fun Guy paralyzed Pidgeotto and knocked it out with Body Slam
- Switched to Sgt. Sting and poisoned Gyarados
- Gyarados took out Sgt. Sting with Dragon Rage
- Fun Guy defeated Gyarados with Body Slam
- Growlithe’s Ember knocked out Fun Guy
- Margarine used Sleep Powder to put Growlithe to sleep, then beat it with Confusion
- Used the same strategy on Kadabra and Ivysaur
- Defeated Xerxes
- Arrived in Celadon City
- Received the Coin Case
- Spent 4 hours at the game corner
- Purchased Scyther - Gambit
- Challenged Erika
- Gambit slightly weakened Victreebel with Quick Attack
- Switched out to Fun Guy
- Victreebel’s Wrap did Fun Guy in
- Sgt. Sting got a Critical Hit with the first Pin Missile and took Victreebel out
- Switched to Oddball to heal Gambit
- Gambit defeated Tangela with Quick Attack and learned Slash
- Gambit easily slashed through Vileplume
- Defeated Erika and received the Rainbow Badge

- Used TM21 to teach Fun Guy Mega Drain
- Entered the Rocket Base
- Defeated Rocket Grunt and received the Lift Key
- Used TM02 to teach Margarine Razor Wind
- Challenged Giovanni
- Sgt. Sting took out Onix and Rhyhorn with Pin Missile
- Kangaskhan beat Sgt. Sting with Bite
- Margarine put Kangaskhan to sleep and knocked him out with Confusion
- Defeated Giovanni and received the Silph Scope
- Returned to Lavender Town
- Encountered Cubone’s Mother
- Fun Guy’s Mega Drain made short work of her
- Rescued Mr. Fuji from Team Rocket
- Received the Pokeflute from Mr. Fuji
- Played the Pokeflute for Snorlax
- Used TM20 to teach Gambit Rage
- Arrived in Fuschia City
- Found the Warden’s Gold Teeth in the Safari Zone
- Received Strength from the Warden
- Received Surf in the Safari Zone
- Used TM40 to teach Sgt. Sting Skull Bash
- Challenged Koga
- Fun Guy used Spore to put Koffing to sleep
- Fun Guy used Dig and knocked out Koffing
- Switched to Margarine
- Margarine got a Critical with Psybeam and took out Muk, barely
- Switched back to Fun Guy and used Dig on Koffing, but was taken out with Sludge
- Switched to Margarine again and finished off Koffing with Psybeam
- Weezing’s Sludge finished Margarine off
- Sent Sgt. Sting out but was destroyed by Weezing’s Selfdestruct
- Defeated Koga and received the Soul Badge

- Used TM06 to teach Margarine Toxic
- Caught Kangaskhan - Genghis (HM Slave)
- Taught Genghis Surf and Strength
- Received Fly
- Arrived in Saffron City
- Used TM29 to teach Margarine Psychic

~-~ Team ~-~

Spoiler:

-- End of Update 2 --
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:22 PM
Umbreon3055
Umbreon Catcher

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Umbreon3055
I'm not on the list of ultimate challengers, can someone change that please?

STATUS UPDATE #2

Did some training at pinwheel forest entrance
Got tm 94 rock smash
Taught it to Toshiba (drillbur)
Beat lenora by a miracle of waking up first turn
Did all the team plasma in the forest stuff
Crossed skyarrow bridge
Went to castelia city
Currently sandile hunting on route 4

Team Quake:

Drillbur (Toshiba) Lv. 24
Hone claws
Rock smash
Metal claw
Dig

Tympole (Marinus) Lv. 24
Mud shot
Uproar
Round
BubbleBeam

Progress: 2/8
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Necrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbreon3055 View Post
I'm not on the list of ultimate challengers, can someone change that please?
Quote:
I saw your updates. Don't worry. I'm doing this on a weekly update system. So in a couple of days I'll go through all the recent posts and update the list. That way I don't have to update the thread every couple of hours... XD
That should clear things up for you.
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:10 PM
Umbreon3055
Umbreon Catcher

Oh, sorry, didn't see that. Thanks :3
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:25 PM
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

Nature: Serious
I lost all my data on my acekard2i sorting it out. (I accidentally deleted everything ).
I'll restart Platinum on my retail copy, so I won't accidentally delete it again.

I know it's been a long time, but I'm back and I'll have an update sometime tomorrow.
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:12 PM
Mega Mawile

Nature: Relaxed
Hey guys, I am back with another (short) update.

Really all I did was traverse Route 5 and train on Route 11, though I am still training as I speak. Route 5 was a pain in the butt, stupid statuses. Route 11 is kind of the same, with poison, sleep, and paralysis, with a dash of confusion. Not much has changed though, and I am taking turns with a friend of mine who agreed to help me. We're having fun on New Years' Eve. It's about 11:10 now. For my team, there were no new Pokemon and levels and moves are about the same as last time. That's all for now, but to be honest, I am getting pretty tired. Bye!

P.S. Happy New Year!

Owned Challenges:
The Mega Evolution Challenge!
The NPC Trainer Challenge!
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:53 PM
ShinyHoundoom
Houndoom Fan

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
I'm instituting a minimum of 2 Pokemon. Primarily because using a single Pokemon kind of defeats the purpose of doing a monotype, especially if that Pokemon has 2 types. The whole point of this challenge is to beat the game using a team who shares a common trait. If you only use one Pokemon, then there is no trait to share.
Ok I was just wondering if the limit was going to be two or three.

None

Completed Challenges
Fire Red

Cerberus the Houndoom Solo Challenge Fire Red
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:28 AM
Umbreon3055
Umbreon Catcher

Just wanted to note y'all that I have decided instead of crystal I will be playing SoulSilver. This is due to the the fact that if I am playing crystal it will be on an emulator, which means I cannot trade onix to become a steelix.

The games I am playing will be

Blue,SS,E,Pt,Black

Black 2/8
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:01 AM
johnny18
Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Update:
Got my 2nd gym badge, it was a tough battle since all of my mons except audino were killed.
My patrat evolved into a watchog.
My audino is the highest level 23.
Training atm and about to chase team plasma
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:50 AM
Ellipsai
Unhatched Egg

That kinda made me laugh, how much controversy was caused over me wanting to do an ice type platinum XD

I haven't played 4th gen very much at all since it bored me, so I figured a challenge would make it more fun. Thanks for the info about the eevee by the way, I don't mind having to use it, or back tracking.

Just a general question though, I'd be using my starter until i get eevee, once I get eevee I box my starter forever, correct?

Last edited by Ellipsai; January 1st, 2013 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Also, for everyone's reference, I'm a girl
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:27 AM
Necrum

That is correct Ellipsai. Unless your starter matches your chosen type, you can only use it until yu obtain the first pokemon of your type. You can use it as an HM slave if you want though.
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:29 AM
Umbreon3055
Umbreon Catcher

STATUS UPDATE #3 (biggest so far)
CAUGHT SANDILE party member #3
Did heaps of grinding
Beat the battle company
Did the team plasma in castelia thingy
Challenged gym
Lost due to leavanny spamming razor leaf
More grinding
Marinus evolved into palpitoad
Lost to gym again
More griding
Beat gym
Battled bianca
Battled cheren
Went to nimbasa
Challenged gym straight away and won due to severely overleveled poké's
Did more training
Irwin evolved into krokorok
Went to driftveil

Team Quake:

Drilbur (Toshiba) Lv. 30
Rock slide
Slash
Metal claw
Dig

Palpitoad (Marinus) Lv. 30
@ Scope lens
Mud shot
Uproar
Muddy water
Bubblebeam

Krokorok (Irwin) Lv. 30
Swagger
Crunch
Sand tomb
Assurance

Progress: 4/8
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:47 AM
Libra
I ain't insane, the world is just too serious...

Nature: Quirky
A little update from me...

Quilava (lvl 16 now) won against Falkner and i got my first badge

Paired to Supernova
Mod of Video Games
Sig by Aquacorde
StarCraft II record
VM/PM me
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:23 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Please cancel me challenge. I am getting busy nowadays.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old January 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Update 4:

Bug Monotype on Fire Red

Not much to say here, just that I've beaten Erica.

Roster:

Parasect: Level 30
Bashful

- Leech Life
- Stun Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Poison Powder

Beedrill: Level 25
Serious

- Poison Sting
- Cut
- Fury Attack
- Twineedle

Butterfree: Level 27
Gentle

- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Confusion
- Flash
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:43 AM
Gulpin
poisonous
Community Supporter

After my last update, I finished grinding my team to level 47 then went on to defeat Cheren to get to the badge checkpoint. I went through Victory Road as quickly as I could, then went ahead and took on the Elite Four. I took on Marshall first and defeated him with a little difficulty, so I moved on to Grimsley who was a little easier to defeat. The next two members were fairly easy to defeat, with Caitlin first then Shauntaul. I moved on to the Champion's room where (gasp!) I found N who summoned his castle to appear. I went through the castle and made it to the final room, where I caught Reshiram with a Quick Ball so I could go ahead and move on. I defeated N fairly easily, but it took a few tries to defeat Ghestis because of his annoying Hydreigon. I watched the credits roll, and now I'm going to train some more and hunt down some TM's before I take on the Elite 4 for the final time in this entire challenge. My current team:

Serperior / Lv51 / Leaf Blade, Strength, Aerial Ace, Giga Drain
Leavanny / Lv52 / X-Scissor, Leaf Blade, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab
Whimsicott / Lv51 / Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Hurricane
Sawsbuck / Lv56 / Jump Kick, Faint Attack, Horn Leech, Megahorn
Ferrothorn / Lv52 / Power Whip, Iron Head, Gyro Ball, Bulldoze

For the first round through the Elite 4 and endgame, Sawsbuck was the clear MVP due to its versatile move pool that was very effective against a majority of the E4 (and Ghestis' Hydreigon). The LVP was Serperior, because I didn't really even use it :/

Quote:
✔Pokemon Blue Version
✔Pokemon Silver Version
✔Pokemon Sapphire Version
✔Pokemon Diamond Version
Pokemon Black Version

Type: Grass
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:03 AM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Bug Monotype (Emerald)
Spoiler:
-Defeated Brawly
-Need to grind before Wattson because he has steel types. Bleh!! Unfortunately, experience gain around here is low.

Current team
Ninjask Lv. 22
Scratch|Screech|Fury Cutter|Sand-Attack

Shedinja Lv. 22
Scratch|Screech|Fury Cutter|Sand-Attack

Dustox Lv. 22
Moonlight|Confusion|Flash|Gust

Dustox Lv. 22
Tackle|Confusion|Moonlight|Gust

Beautifly Lv. 22
Tackle|Absorb|Morning Sun|Gust

Zigzagoon Lv. 2