The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Do you like the new versions or not?
Yes 58 86.57%
No 10 14.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old December 30th, 2012 (11:44 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrakeet View Post
I enjoyed Black and White a lot myself, and I started from Red/Blue. What I do dislike is the "expansion pack" route that Nintendo took with Black and White 2. Why? Because the reason I buy new Pokemon games is to discover new Pokemon, not play an entire "new" game without the 100s of new interesting Pokemon to catch.
Well everyone here was growing tiresome for the predictable third version, but the sequels caught us off-guard, so this is a first time for Game Freak.

Quote:
I understand that some people may enjoy the DLC/expansion/sequel models for a lot of games and it does work well for many games. In my personal case, I was disappointed with Nintendo for not making a brand new Pokemon color and instead choosing to separate one game into two games. Obviously it was a smart financial move though, as Nintendo's income will undoubtedly double (or quadruple in the case of 1 person buying Black 1-2 and White 1-2).
Well they have to make something to not only surpass sales of the first two gens but also make up for their fiancial losses from the 3DS.

Quote:
The game industry must be worried in general because companies are dropping like flies recently. Pokemon seems to be playing it safe for now and using previously successful titles ("Soul" Silver, "Heart" Gold etc.) to maintain it's financial stability. I still have hope for a fresh new Pokemon game though, hopefully Nintendo is able to keep up the new Pokemon coming thanks to the income that Black and White 2 gave them.
Tell that to Star Fox, Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro the Dragon. Also, Game Freak said that a Pokemon game with a different gameplay will be best used as a spin-off title rather than part of the main series.
__________________
You better need a Leaf Shield.
Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old December 30th, 2012 (01:37 PM).
SaniOKh's Avatar
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: France
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
I'll admit, there are things I don't like about Gen 5. I don't like Unova from B/W 1, and by that I mean the structure of the map, it's like after making more or less elaborate maps for the previous games, they completely gave up for B/W. I also miss the mandatory use of HMs to reach new locations (IMO it gave the game a Zelda-esque feel) , replaced by a purely story-driven progression which to me feels like constant hand-holding.

On the other hand, I like the graphical enhancements, especially the very fast battle animations and some spectacular locations like the Skyarrow Bridge. I like the seasons system, changing music (when you talk to musicians on the street) and all those little details that make the game's world come to life. While I don't like the overall Unova map, I do like the new approach when it comes to designing the levels themselves, where you rarely go in high grass if you don't choose to. I thank GF for finally making the inventory unlimited, and, in B2/W2, allowing to immediately use a new repel when the old one wears off (I use them a lot, so to me it's a significant improvement) . I like not being subjected to "push the block" puzzles or having to run after roaming Pokémon anymore.

Every generation brought new things and took some old things away. Pokémon evolves with every new generation, just like all the other series do. In this generation in particular, GF took a different approach and changed some of the game's formula. While some of the changes were hit-or-miss IMO, I do hope that GF will keep changing the formula in the future. Personally, I thought Gen 4 felt too similar to Gen 3, and I thought it made those games look less like new games, and more like rehashes of Gen 3. I had no such feeling while playing Gen 5, and that's what I want from future games.
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old December 30th, 2012 (02:44 PM).
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
You ruined it for yourself.

As people have said, I think that they took some things away, and some things were added.

I'll admit, I miss the day/night song thing (like in D/P), but hey, I love the seasons! I don't like the map, but I sure do like the beauty of places like Skyarrow Bridge.

It's things like these - you have some things taken away, but you have more given to you. You decide wether or not it's for you. If it's not, then that's too bad - you've made it for yourself that it's bad. In reality, everything is good in some way, and bad in other ways; you need to appreciate and make stand out what you want it to be.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old December 31st, 2012 (12:52 AM).
Ellipsai's Avatar
Ellipsai
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Female
I felt really negative about the new games around DP.
I didn't like the pokemon in that one (many of them are just ugly or weird), and the story didn't really suck me in.
Because of this, I didn't really take Black as seriously as I could have at the time. By the time BW2 came around, I gave Black a shot and totally fell head over heels in love with pokemon all over again.
I've grown up with pokemon, and have at least one game of every gen right now. When I started looking at Pokemon (black, namely) as an actual game I quite enjoyed it.

I personally loved the changes, such as unlimited TM use, Dream world and Key system. (although there's always the 'pokemon are getting too weird thing' which I understand and the sprites/3d effects/ etc. feel kinda foreign) I especially loved the improvements in storytelling in BW and BW2, and due to those I can't wait for what comes next (But of course, Fingers crossed for RSE remakes, that was my favourite gen)
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old January 1st, 2013 (04:10 PM).
bulbasaurlover's Avatar
bulbasaurlover
Bulbasaur Lover
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen are excelent but lavander town sucks White 2 and Black 2 have horrible music their graphics are tacky aand I actualy BURNED mine
Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old January 1st, 2013 (04:17 PM).
LilJz's Avatar
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbasaurlover View Post
Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen are excelent but lavander town sucks White 2 and Black 2 have horrible music their graphics are tacky aand I actualy BURNED mine
Really..? I thought BW2 had some great music. As for the graphics, you can't go wrong with this one.. it's waaayy better than the first generation games, and you actually burned the cartridge..?
__________________
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old January 1st, 2013 (05:10 PM).
BloodyRoyaltyandNarwhals's Avatar
BloodyRoyaltyandNarwhals
Normal with a hint of oddity.
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Sexy Land of California
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BloodyRoyaltyandNarwhals
I love all generations of Pokemon because they all offer new things and fix old mistakes. There is no "better generation". Likewise, there is no "worst generation". There is only "This is the best generation to me" or "This generation does not appeal to me". All subjective. Just because you as an individual says it doesn't mean it's a fact, so stop treating it as so.
__________________
"And then grandpa combusted into flames."
-A Great Woman
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old January 1st, 2013 (05:49 PM).
Khrysta
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender:
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Cruising through Tropes, I remember they made a comment about a thread on here for this exact same topic a year or so ago. For your reading pleasure.

I find it funny when people scream how Pokemon is ruined when they are making millions of dollars at steady intervals. Nothing about Pokemon is ruined, and I doubt in the far future that anything about Pokemon will be ruined.

Sure there are things we dislike, but saying it was ruined is being plain wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old January 1st, 2013 (06:11 PM).
PokéZoom's Avatar
PokéZoom
~Gotta Catch Em All
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Earth, it's cool here.
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
In my opinion, 5th generation has been the best Pokémon generation so far!
So no, I don't think they ruined Pokémon.
__________________

It's the next chapter, the ultimate goal! Ready for battle, brave and bold!
PokéZoom.com | PokéZoom Forums | PokéZoom Oekaki
Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old January 1st, 2013 (08:46 PM).
Schwan's Avatar
Schwan
Frontier Brain
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: University Campus!
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I don't believe that Pokemon has been ruined. The gameplay has done but improved (obviously). Even the in-game features from being able to hit seven digits with money and repel options made me love the new ones. As for the Pokemon themselves, I do like a lot a the new ones. I thought Krookodile was the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Simipour was my little buddy all through Black. While I can't say they're in the top of my rankings for favourite Pokemon, I definitely do not consider it ruined.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36    
Old January 1st, 2013 (09:02 PM).
Starfire Dragon's Avatar
Starfire Dragon
Togepi
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MO USA
Age: 31
Gender: Male
People, people, people!
Your comparing an old game to a new one, in my mind thats like comparing night & day. There's no comparison when you do that.
Look at all the games that it would be pointless to do so:

Spyro the Dragon - Skylanders
Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy XIII
The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword
(these are just the most common examples)
Or Atari - Playstion 3
Comparing these games to one another are about pointless, they are all top games of their own times.

I started with Pokemon Yellow & Red so they will always be close to my heart, i still play them once in a great while. Yes the graphics & game play are totally different from Black(2) & White(2), yet you can't match the game play of a classic. I've played them all except for Diamond, Pearl & Platinum. I still plan on getting them all Just like the pokemon evolve so do the games, sometimes with new challenges, others with new places to explore & some with both Though I love what GF has done with pokemon so far, I'm sure the next game will be even better
With new games there will always be people with different opinions, some who will love them & those who hate them.
Most can say that everything I've typed so far is just a matter of my own opinion, then again thats their opinion
__________________
A dragon stomps on to the forum! Letters are falling everywhere! Oh No! He's going to torch everything! RUN!!! (Puff!!!)(?) Guess his show was hotter than his fire! Yes i know im a dork Get over it :D
Reply With Quote
  #37    
Old January 1st, 2013 (09:14 PM).
KantoSwag's Avatar
KantoSwag
Kanto Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kanto Reigon
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbasaurlover View Post
Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen are excelent but lavander town sucks White 2 and Black 2 have horrible music their graphics are tacky aand I actualy BURNED mine
@Bold
My eyes!!! Lol j/k
You never heard Blue's Theme? Cynthia's Theme? Raimon City? Oh my goodness the music was simply amazing in that game, very well orchestrated. As for the OP I have to disagree with you entirely. The new generation is in fact increasing strategies that we can not have in the Gen 1 games. (EG; Double Battle, Umbreon using curse and another Pokemon using Psych Up), Although I am not a fan of triple battles, I still think it's cool that they came up with that idea and in fact very well implemented in the game. Like the prev poster had stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post

Pokemon didn't get ruined, it got better and it will always continue to introduce new mechanics.
__________________
We be tryna catch em all!
Because inside each of our Pokeballs'
Lies great potential, for us to evolve
Reply With Quote
  #38    
Old January 1st, 2013 (10:42 PM).
Lockdown's Avatar
Lockdown
Doom in a can
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Great State of Tennessee, in the US
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
This complicated for me.
They have good and bad things.

Good
  • Improved Graphics
  • New Pokemon
  • New Battle systems
  • Great music
Bad
  • New Pokemon
  • 3d world
  • TO good battle graphics (Ill explain later)
  • New Battle systems
  • triple battles (again, ill explain myself)
  • Short story




Now, to explain some things.
TO good battle graphics. Well, when you use Thunder, the camera goes and looks at the sky, then comes back down. It does that kind of stuff with other moves to, it just gets on my nerves and makes me dizzy.
Triple Battles: CONFUSING!!!!
3d world: Makes me dizzy, good for cinematic effect, but really annoying.
New Pokemon: Just about 200 MORE new things to get used to. WOOPTYFREAKINGGODDANGDOO!!!!!!!!!


Thats how I feel about the 5th gen.
__________________
Challenges

K J H S U



Solo
LG G E P White
LG G E P White

Click it if you dare--->Do you dare?
Reply With Quote
  #39    
Old January 1st, 2013 (10:47 PM).
KantoSwag's Avatar
KantoSwag
Kanto Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kanto Reigon
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
This complicated for me.
They have good and bad things.

Good
  • Improved Graphics
  • New Pokemon
  • New Battle systems
  • Great music
Bad
  • New Pokemon
  • 3d world
  • TO good battle graphics (Ill explain later)
  • New Battle systems
  • triple battles (again, ill explain myself)
  • Short story




Now, to explain some things.
TO good battle graphics. Well, when you use Thunder, the camera goes and looks at the sky, then comes back down. It does that kind of stuff with other moves to, it just gets on my nerves and makes me dizzy.
Triple Battles: CONFUSING!!!!
3d world: Makes me dizzy, good for cinematic effect, but really annoying.
New Pokemon: Just about 200 MORE new things to get used to. WOOPTYFREAKINGGODDANGDOO!!!!!!!!!


Thats how I feel about the 5th gen.
Triple battles aren't hard to understand, thats why we have Serebii. I have to admit that I agree with you for some of the animations for attacks and sound fxs with them in the game are not as good as they were in the prev (E.G Psychics animation and sound fx). However the new pokemon, what is a new Pokemon game without the tantamount newer ones to match other regions and Legendaries that contribute to the storyline?
__________________
We be tryna catch em all!
Because inside each of our Pokeballs'
Lies great potential, for us to evolve
Reply With Quote
  #40    
Old January 2nd, 2013 (01:53 AM).
EmberFiraga's Avatar
EmberFiraga
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
I think it's a matter of how attached you are to whatever generation you played first. My first game was Red but I enjoyed almost every new generation. Only Gen IV didn't do it for me because the intro was just too long. Gen V made me interested in Pokemon again. I like how fast it was but I can understand that others might not like it.
Reply With Quote
  #41    
Old January 2nd, 2013 (02:18 AM).
Pharetra's Avatar
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
This complicated for me.
They have good and bad things.

Good
  • Improved Graphics
  • New Pokemon
  • New Battle systems
  • Great music
Bad
  • New Pokemon
  • 3d world
  • TO good battle graphics (Ill explain later)
  • New Battle systems
  • triple battles (again, ill explain myself)
  • Short story




Now, to explain some things.
TO good battle graphics. Well, when you use Thunder, the camera goes and looks at the sky, then comes back down. It does that kind of stuff with other moves to, it just gets on my nerves and makes me dizzy.
Triple Battles: CONFUSING!!!!
3d world: Makes me dizzy, good for cinematic effect, but really annoying.
New Pokemon: Just about 200 MORE new things to get used to. WOOPTYFREAKINGGODDANGDOO!!!!!!!!!


Thats how I feel about the 5th gen.
I don't get why you listed "New Pokémon" as a good thing and a bad thing.

Also, why is "New Pokémon" a bad thing at all? I find it hard to believe that you would have preferred for all Pokémon but the first 151 to never exist and play all games with the original Pokémon. If you don't like some Pokémon then that isn't a valid argument in my opinion. It's all a matter of taste really, and in my opinion the designs have been getting better and better. Go and compare a Voltorb (living Pokéball) to for example Bronzong and Bronzong will probably come out as a much better design. Much more thought has probably been invested in Bronzong's design than in Voltorb's. While the Pokémon of the first generation are simple, I can't say the designs are great. A common argument against Gen V's Pokémon are how uninspired they are. I have to disagree with that statement as Gen I's clearly aren't that creative either; A mouse? A pidgeon? A turtle? A snake? Sure, Kanto had it's fantastic Pokémon ( *cough* Gyarados *cough* ) but the majority isn't that creative in my opinion. You may not like all new Pokémon, but the same goes for the old ones.

New battle systems are pretty important I think, it adds more variety to a game that has practically been the same for 15 years. It'd get a little bit boring otherwise, don't you think?

You can disable the move animations if you don't like them for as far as I know. They aren't that bad in my opinion though, I think they look great.

The short story point is the worst argument I have ever read. I don't know if you've actually played B(2)W(2) but these games had the most in-depth, longest and most original stories I have ever seen in a Pokémon game. I honestly don't know why you think the story was short.

Long post was long. xD
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42    
Old January 2nd, 2013 (02:38 AM).
4thGenAce:D's Avatar
4thGenAce:D
I don't live by my name...
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philippines
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Official Pokemon games just keep on using the same story plot. Stopping an evil team blah blah while earning Gym Badges to challenge the Pokemon League and emerge as Pokemon champion. It's kinda odd why some get very hooked in games like that.

They are not "ruined" but instead, redundant (Of course, in terms of story plot.)

I think Pokemon games should make games with very different storylines.. Make one game have a completely different story with another. Then I'd bet a million dollars that Nintendo will surely be making tons of money. (Okay, the million dollars is a bluff I know. XD)

I like new Pokemon, always a great thing to expect from a new Pokemon game, but, I think they got too far. 700+ Pokemon is more than enough.
__________________
I'm a proud Filipino! XD Playing Pokemon since 4 (I started with Pokemon Yellow)


Finished playing more than 45+ hacked and official Pokemon games altogether. :D
I have never tried hacking.. But I have lots of kinda "wacky" ideas for some. *sigh*


"I don't live by my name, but at least I can exceed your expectations. "

I may make Youtube walkthroughs about some games, you could suggest. I just need the appropriate tools.

Follow me on Twitter: @WhatevaBlahBlah
Add me as a friend on Facebook: [email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #43    
Old January 2nd, 2013 (05:25 AM).
DonkeyMadness's Avatar
DonkeyMadness
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Gender: Male
I really don't see how people dislike the new Pokemon games. I have to admit the Generation 3,4,5 Pokemon are pretty strange but so are the Generation 1 & 2 Pokemon. The series has obviously improved greatly since Gen. 1 and is still improving, stop letting nostalgia cloud your mind... just because its old doesn't make it gold!

I think your main issue with the new generations seems to be that you have outgrown them. You say "it's too fast, confusing, and boring" but that's how games are today (besides the boring part lol). I love Generation 1 & 2 but do you want Pokemon to be a buggy mess like they were? No! I understand that the games have turned a little bit more competitive. Back in the day, Pokemon games were about playing with your favorite pokemon (no matter how crappy they are), and to "Catch Em' All". Nowadays it seems like people just care about Natures and EV train the Pokemon that can win them battles online, that is my only problem with the recent games but that is the community and not the series fault!
Reply With Quote
  #44    
Old January 3rd, 2013 (10:17 PM).
Azire's Avatar
Azire
Mr. Premier Ball
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I am a big fan of Gen 1. It is by far my favorite and I think that Gen 1 created with all the battle upgrades, abilities etc it would be the best. Saying that Gen 2 comes in second with Gen 5 coming in third. I do find the Plasma story disappointing though. It had so much potential to take the role of the bad team without being criminals. Of course this was ruined by them stealing Pokemon.

To give a real life example Plasma could have been like PETA. You hate them because they're idiots with extreme ideas but they don't go around stealing from people.
__________________
Normal Safari: Kecleon, Lillipup, Ditto
(Ditto Unavailable Due To Restart)
Azire's Premier Pokémon
Please Leave A Review If We Trade
Trader Review Thread
Pairs: Champion Lunis
Reply With Quote
  #45    
Old January 4th, 2013 (01:02 AM).
Correspondence
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
When the Gen V games came out i couldn't have cared less because most of the Gen IV games were a bit stale for me.I also was one of the haters of Gen V when it came out but somewhere along the line i realised i hadn't actually played it and i gave White a shot and to be honest it blew my mind.It was definitely the right step to take to revive the franchise again.I have played the older Gen game and can understand the nostalgia it gives but if GF were to only use the first 151 pokemon i doubt there would even be a Gen III, this forum would probably be dead, I would probably be doing something productive but thats beside the point.What i'm trying to say is if you'd rather only have the older Gen games rather than Gf making new ones with new pokemon,new features, etc. maybe you didn't like pokemon to begin with and only like the older Gens because of the nostalgia it gives.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbasaurlover View Post
Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen are excelent but lavander town sucks White 2 and Black 2 have horrible music their graphics are tacky aand I actualy BURNED mine
You burned the cartridge just because you didn't like the music?That is just insane.You could've just hit the mute button or mail the game to me instead of burning it down.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46    
Old January 4th, 2013 (10:35 AM).
Iceman3317's Avatar
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mistralton City
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
The battle graphics you can turn off in options. I agree, but disagree with being attached to the first gen. you played. I hated the 1st Gen, it was the first I played, until Firered and LeafGreen. My favorite one by far was 3rd Gen. Which I like better than any other gen.

The new pokemon thing, I agree and disagree again. If it is about the looks you need to get over because 1st gen had horrible looking pokemon in it as well. If it is about the number then I agree. 156 was too many even though it was a completely new area of the world. However, I do not mind it.

I like the Triple Battles, it is the Rotation battles I hate. They are just really annoying. The graphics were great! I don't see how they are tacky. Get use to new graphics because they are only going to evolve. They will never go back.


And why would you burn a freaking game!? Why not just sell it to Gamestop or Online. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard someone do.
__________________
Friend Code - 2251 4942 3229
Friend Safari Pokemon - Abra, Espurr, and Duosion
Pm me with your FC so I can add you if you add me.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.