Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General > Pokémon Polls
Notices

Pokémon Polls Express your opinion in straightforward polls and questions about Pokémon that would otherwise fit in Pokémon General if they weren't so, well, straightforward. Vote away!

View Poll Results: Do you think Lugia should be a Water Type Pokémon???
Yes 27 69.23%
No 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Nature: Modest
Do you think Lugia should be a Water/Flying Type Pokémon rather than Psychic/Flying???
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:31 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I think so, because Lugia is the guardian of the sea but yet, he's a flying and psychic type. Which is really weird. Maybe the 4x weakness to Electric to it might have been too overkill for a legnedary type if it had the water/flying combination?
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I thought that Lugia was a water type, I didn't know that, yes, it definitely should be.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenges - sorry for no updates, been reorganizing my room
Random Challenge - Badges: 6/8 - game: X - Location: Route 15
Random Challenge - Badges: 2/8 - game: Y - Location: Geosenge Town
50/50 Challenge - Badges 4/8 - Game Y - Location: Lumiose City
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Guardian of the sea, deep-sea pokemon, lives in the ocean depths, psychic? WHAT THE **** no. I will not stand for this, they just didn't want Lugia to be stronger than Ho-oh, but apparently Groudon can have his rear end kicked by Kyogre! This should be it.
Ho-oh, Fire/Flying or something to make it fair.
Lugia, WATER/Flying
Groudon, Fire/Groudon; Fire beats Ice
Kyogre, Ice/Water; Water beats Ground
even.
Credit |Kitty Pair | VM/PM | Photobucket | Theme
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:57 AM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Yes, of course! Why Lugia isn't a water type was never clear to me. He IS the guardian of the sea, after all!

Also, Groudon should be Fire type...

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:34 AM
EmberFiraga
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Yes Lugia should be water type. It lives in the ocean/sea. it's the guardian of the seas. I never understood why it wasn't a water type.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:55 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Some things are done for sake of balance of the gameplay. Pokemon is a video game first and anime generated background lore. It's similar to how Gyarados isn't a water/dragon but water/flying in some attempt to tone it down in first generation. Lugia will be quite a fortress with much less weakness, trading for only vulnerable to electric in battle... as if it's not a super strong defensive legendary already.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:07 AM
Brendino
#fpt2014

I think it was only a few years ago when I found out that it was actually part Psychic type rather than part Water. It does make a little bit of sense though when you think about it, because then it would easily be a lot more powerful than Ho-oh based on the type advantage over it.

If it weren't paired up with Ho-oh I would absolutely want it to be Water/Flying, but for the sake of balance, I'm happy with the way it is.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: GHOST // GRASS
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Eeveelution Co-ordinator
Budding Breeder/Co-ordinator

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Eeveelution Co-ordinator
He lives in a cave behind a WATERFALL of course he should be WATER!!!

White 2:
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Jayster23
A Promise To Return

He is the guardian of the sea, lives in the whirl islands in an underwater chasm and lives in the deepest part of that chasm in a waterfall, also has the power to change the flow of currents.
Should be water type.
FC: 4441-9989-0344
FS: Tangela | Swadloon | Quilladin
IGN: Jayden
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
It does make sense, and admittedly when I was little I thought Lugia was a Water-type.

I guess Psychic/Flying does kind of make sense, but it still seems a little odd.
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:49 PM
EvilTotodile
We're Evil

Nature: Lonely
i think he should be water/dragon that would be cool, but no, nintendo decided not to make many dragon types in the early gens
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:52 PM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
no because then everyone would pick lugia over ho-oh due to the fact fire < water

(i love both birds and like thier current types)
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:08 PM
C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f

Nature: Naive
Yes, though doubtful. Water would make it an extreme overkiller, and also since it's defense-oriented it'd be less vulnerable to electric as well. But who'd match up Lugia against electric? It had to settle for a Psychic/Flying... I was Outraged.
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:51 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Lugia should've been a Water/Flying, but the tradition of having only one Water/Flying line each gen, which was started by Gyarados, forced GF to make Lugia part Psychic instead.
Credit goes to KhanadianDaleks of imgur for the gif
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:00 AM
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Lugia's current typing seems fine to me, and if it were Water-type it would have an unfair advantage over Ho-Oh (Fire being weak to Water!) not to mention that they usually only introduce one Water/Flying line in each generation.
ホウエン地方

battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter
pairs | the welcome lounge | fairy-type club

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
Perhaps it should. I had the misconception that this legendary was part Water-type when I was younger until I found out that it actually was Psychic/Flying. This confused me quite a bit, especially since I watched the movie that featured Lugia and the legendary Bird Trio with Lugia living at the bottom of the sea and manipulating its waters and such. Oh, and why is Lugia living in a cave behind a waterfall in the middle of the sea in the games??

Actually, if triple-types were to be implemented, Lugia should immediately be Water-Flying-Psychic as...well, you know why.

.....or perhaps it should not. If Lugia were to be Water/Flying, Electric-types would very easily K.O. it in a move or two. So....yeah. I think it's much better off being Psychic/Flying.
All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere;
every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikakitten View Post
Guardian of the sea, deep-sea pokemon, lives in the ocean depths, psychic? WHAT THE **** no. I will not stand for this, they just didn't want Lugia to be stronger than Ho-oh, but apparently Groudon can have his rear end kicked by Kyogre! This should be it.
Ho-oh, Fire/Flying or something to make it fair.
Lugia, WATER/Flying
Groudon, Fire/Groudon; Fire beats Ice
Kyogre, Ice/Water; Water beats Ground
even.
I'm guessing you mean Fire/Ground for Groudon...

Anyway, in that scenario, Kyogre would be terribly overpowered against Groudon (Water being 4x-effective against the Fire/Ground type combination), even if Fire does beat Ice (and in that case, Kyogre would still only be taking normal damage, since Fire trumps Ice but succumbs to Water, thus canceling the two type calculations out). Kyogre also lacks any 4x weaknesses with Water/Ice typing. As much as I'd like Groudon to be Fire/Ground, I think Groudon as a mono-typed Ground-type Pokemonis fine for gameplay purposes, so it can at least have an iota of a chance against Kyogre with a 2x weakness rather than a 4x weakness. >.> What Groudon really needs is a Physical Grass attack that gains power in sunlight...and Eruption needs to be made a Physical move...

Anyway, on to the topic at hand, LUGIA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
Some things are done for sake of balance of the gameplay. Pokemon is a video game first and anime generated background lore. It's similar to how Gyarados isn't a water/dragon but water/flying in some attempt to tone it down in first generation. Lugia will be quite a fortress with much less weakness, trading for only vulnerable to electric in battle... as if it's not a super strong defensive legendary already.
Gyarados I understand (and like) with the "dragon through perseverance/Legendary Carp" deal (although Gyarados' typing is still laughable; it's only a threat when you lack Electric-type Pokemon/moves, unless 'competitive' Gyarados somehow fare better than Hoenn Battle Frontier Gyarados...) I haven't used Lugia for gameplay, although if it's a 'tank' of sorts, would Water/Flying really be that bad for it? :cer_confused: (although now I'm seeing some posts stating that it would be overpowered offensively despite the 4x weakness...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTotodile View Post
i think he should be water/dragon that would be cool, but no, nintendo decided not to make many dragon types in the early gens
I'd love Lugia's typing to be retconned to Water/Flying...if Rotom can have type retcons, surely Lugia can as well... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Lugia should've been a Water/Flying, but the tradition of having only one Water/Flying line each gen, which was started by Gyarados, forced GF to make Lugia part Psychic instead.
Hmm...I guess it could be interpreted as 'tradition', although I think that's kind of a coincidence/conscious choice on the part of Game Freak (and IMO, Generation 4 hardly counts since Mantyke is related to Mantine of Generation 2...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by synerjee View Post
Perhaps it should. I had the misconception that this legendary was part Water-type when I was younger until I found out that it actually was Psychic/Flying. This confused me quite a bit, especially since I watched the movie that featured Lugia and the legendary Bird Trio with Lugia living at the bottom of the sea and manipulating its waters and such. Oh, and why is Lugia living in a cave behind a waterfall in the middle of the sea in the games??

Actually, if triple-types were to be implemented, Lugia should immediately be Water-Flying-Psychic as...well, you know why.

.....or perhaps it should not. If Lugia were to be Water/Flying, Electric-types would very easily K.O. it in a move or two. So....yeah. I think it's much better off being Psychic/Flying.
Yeah, I was confused with Lugia's typing as well, and Pokemon 2000 didn't help matters much (possibly worsened them..). I think I first discovered Lugia was Psychic/Flying and not Water/Flying in Pokemon Stadium 2's database. @_@ I'd rather have it be a Water/Flying Pokemon with Psychic-type capabilities; it doesn't seem any more 'psionic' compared to other Legendary Pokemon like Ho-Oh or Kyogre. Yeah, it can telepathically talk, but so can Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem (Dragon Pokemon who aren't Psychic-types). Water/Dragon also seems nice, but methinks that would be even worse compared to Water/Flying, with Lugia's apparent already-high resistance/defensive capabilities (not to mention that it kind of clashes with another Legendary Pokemon mascot, Palkia).

Anyway, if we can have Kyogre deluging the crap out of Groudon, I don't see why Lugia can't inundate the bajoogles out of Ho-Oh (as cool as Ho-Oh is). Ho-Oh has some Electric-type moves to help it out (then again, it currently learns Special Electric-type moves while specializing in the Attack stat...). And Lugia's main advantage (excluding high defense) is only STAB with Water moves, as opposed to STAB with Water moves and the boost from Rain and high Special Attack, like Kyogre has in its arsenal against Groudon. So Ho-Oh can take care of itself (at least for a while).
[2011 HIATUS] Will be on PokeCommunity intermittently in 2012 2013 2014.
Visit the Crowning Remix of Awesome HERE and HERE
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:54 PM
Rainbow Daaash
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Hardy
I have to admit, I honestly thought Lugia was water/flying until about a year ago. It was mainly its habitat (WHIRL islands - in the WATER) and the fact that it learned hydro pump by level. Oh - and seeing it LIVING under water in Pokemon 2000 :/ But yes, I do believe even after finding out its true typing- that it should be water / flying.
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Buggles

Honestly, if Lugia was a water/flying, I think they'd have to change the design up from what it already is. Not to mention it'd only have one real weakness. Lugia doesn't look like a water type at all, in fact I was skeptical about it being a flying-type when I first saw it. If anything, I think it should be psychic/water instead of water/flying.
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Thunderbolt's gonna be Lugia's worst nightmare in that case lol.

Gotta love the high life.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

I never understood why it wasn't. It is the beast of the sea, after all!
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Yukari Yakumo
I AM GOD
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Yukari Yakumo
I say yes.
It is the Guardian of the sea, as a lot of people have already said. It lives in the sea, and doesn't really seem like a Psychic-type in the first place, so I wonder why it's Psychic/Flying..
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Well I really thought lugia was Water Flying lol. Yes it should be it looks way more like a water type than a Psychic type. :3
Old April 27th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Idk why it isnt i mean, its the guardian of the sea lol. And just like Shadowraze, i thought lugia was water flying.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server

I am gone bye
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links