The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Dying Light's Avatar
Dying Light
Assassin
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Somewhere cold...
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
Alright, first off... you really don't seem like a project leader. Like NikNaks stated, you seem naive and uncertain. For a team to be a team, it must have a source of leadership that is capable of performing it's tasks when necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokefangames View Post
well, your story seems interesting, and you say you need a programer? I could help. My main study in college right now is scripting, just tell the code language and I'll try to help.

btw, I read the post thoroughly, and I noticed you ARE doing something advanced and I see why the "booted" you off of the unity site, no one there knows how to MAKE A SIMPLE POKEMON GAME let alone a big one like this. but I'm currently working on different sub-engines in unity3D and wouldn't mind taking this project on as a challenge.
Um... no. They "booted" him from the forums because they saw he was rather inexperienced and really had no clue where he was going with this.

Unfortunately, games don't just pop out of the sky. They take learning, fundamentals, leadership skills, and technique. All of which you are either lacking or are completely absent. You should have studied more about game development before you started threads like these or on the Unity forums. Someone who is quite skilled will not come along and create your game for you.

Look at my game in The Showcase. Pokémon: Community Version. I am the only one developing it. I cranked out a working demo in under a week after it's presentation. Yet, it has captured the attention of many members, and is so unorthodox it's not even funny. This idea of yours is not an anomaly. People who have told you that unorthodox games won't make it are dead wrong, and they should be hit in the head with a book.

Also, like many other people have said, your grammar is off-kilter and is a huge distraction. Theik pretty much nailed it when he/she said this is more of a grammatically incorrect fan fiction than a game on it's own. You don't have anything to start with, yet you have a story, albeit a warped one.

Due to this, it screams: "I belong in the Fan Fiction section of the forums, not the Game Development forums."

I highly suggest you take the time to learn coding/scripting/programming. Without it, you are merely a lost sheep here. It took me a few weeks to learn basic Ruby. Now here I am, slowly making progress on a game that has a decent amount of attention.

If you noticed, a lot of games have either never been completed or finished here, so it whittles down people's interests when they see something like this.

To conclude what I am rambling on about... go get some developer smarts, then try to assemble a foundation upon which you can place your starting ground.
__________________
All that once was, and all that will be...
...will never be the same.
  #27    
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Theik's Avatar
Theik
Fancy Cape Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Gender:
Quote:
I don't have many effective skills for making a game but I got my ideas and story telling which i'm very good at but....
You keep saying this, you've repeated over and over that you're good at telling a story, but there has yet to be anything to show for this. In fact, everything you have posted so far says quite the opposite.

If you intend to carry on with your project and want to write the text and story yourself, it'd help to understand some more basic concepts about telling a story.

1) Making it readable
I can't stress this enough. Take any random sentence in your "manual" and it'll be pretty much guaranteed to look incoherent.

Quote:
And civil war then breaks in your world due to problems that out of control...
If somebody reads this, they will have no idea what you meant. Is the civil war out of control? Are the problems out of your control? Are the problems out of control in general? Punctuation and a flow of sentences is important, or people will misunderstand. That's not even mentioning the 2 minutes it would have taken to run your document through a spell-check to take out 95% of the glaring grammatical errors.

2) Make it believable
There is a big difference between a story being believable and a story being realistic. There is no need for a story to be 100% realistic, every genre has it's own set of handwaved rules. There's no need to explain why Pokémon exist or why a Pikachu shoots lightning, those are all pretty much understood points by anybody who will play your game.

But everything storywise that you came up with seems to happen for no apparent reason, there's not even the simplest of explanations.

For example:
Spoiler:
You just got your Pokemon in real life,A Pikachu if you are a boy and a Shiny
Celebii if your a girl...And civil war then breaks in your world due to problems
that out of control...
You escape to the Pokemon world,and meet new Pokemon and people but things
are not what they seem and also on a night on your first adventure,your Pokemon
runs away from the storm and you find it with a tree fallen on it....
You panic but know that the only way to save your Pokemon life is use what ever
was given to you...You use your handheld system and a light envelopes the area....
You afterward wake up to find your Pokemon talking like you and also has a arm
cannon,you notice that you too have a arm cannon....And your real journey
begins!!!


Now I'm not going to rewrite it to use proper grammar, that would certainly help make it a lot more readable, but let's take some basic steps to show where your little introduction fails to make a lot of sense for anybody who reads it (or was playing your game.)

Quote:
and a Shiny Celebii if your a girl
A shiny celebii? We all been trained to accept that certain pokémon are rare. A pikachu is rare, a shiny pikachu is almost unheard of. A legendary is something you might see once in your life, a shiny legendary is most likely something nobody has ever seen. Yet your girl character gets a shiny legendary as her very first Pokémon?

This is incredibly unbelievable, it goes against everything people have been shown about the Pokémon universe. I understand that your reasoning is 'that it is pink', but that is not a solid reason to give a character a shiny legendary. If you just want pink, there are dozens of non-shiny legendary Pokémon you could go for.

By setting her up with an outrageously rare Pokémon you're setting her up for mary sue syndrome.

Quote:
And civil war then breaks in your world due to problems
that out of control...
Civil wars don't generally just fall out of the sky. Not only does it seem completely irrelevant to your story at large, but if these kinds of events are actually important to your story, they need to happen for a reason.

Quote:
You escape to the Pokemon world,and meet new Pokemon and people but things are not what they seem and also on a night on your first adventure,your Pokemon runs away from the storm and you find it with a tree fallen on it....
Wait, you escape to the Pokémon world? But you were already given a Pokémon, so that means you were already in the Pokémon world. There's also no explanation as to how you "escape to another world". Also, did this 15 year old child just skip worlds while his family and friends are in a world in a civil war? Shouldn't they at least be worried about their loved ones?

No, instead they go on their first Pokémon adventure as if nothing has ever happened. Not very believable.

Quote:
You panic but know that the only way to save your Pokemon life is use what ever was given to you...You use your handheld system and a light envelopes the area....
Granted I don't know what "your handheld system" is or does, this doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd do if a Pokémon was trapped under a tree. In the entire series Pokémon have survived tremendous amounts of injury if they were simply returned to their Pokéball and taken to a hospital. Why does the character believe their handheld device can help? Why does it suddenly give off light? What is the purpose of this thing?

Quote:
You afterward wake up to find your Pokemon talking like you and also has a arm cannon,you notice that you too have a arm cannon....And your real journey begins!!!
Again, a completely unexplained event that makes no sense at all. Did the light put the character to sleep? How did it give the Pokémon the ability to speak? Why do you suddenly have an arm cannon?

Did the character get hit by lightning and are they now imagining the entire thing? Did they somehow get sucked into the handheld device? Did a mystery pokémon swoop in to save them?

You're not explaining anything, you're just asking your reader to "go with it", which makes for a very inconsistent and confusing story.



To you these events might all make sense in your head, but to anybody looking at your story / game, it looks like a bunch of post-it notes that are completely unrelated. I'll give you an example that might make it more obvious.

Quote:
Bob is a cowboy and goes to work on his horse.
Suddenly Bob finds himself in a spaceship.
Grabbing his wrench, Bob repairs the damaged robot.
The robot fights off the enraged hydra and Bob's wife gives birth to a healthy baby girl.
The end.
Now you might be able to form some sort of coherent story from that if you use your imagination and fill in all the blanks, but as it stands, it is hardly a story.

Leaving huge gaping holes in your story is not the sign of good story telling, you don't want to leave your audiences baffled as to what has just happened.


Look at something like the Overlord games, or the Warcraft games. You might not know everything right away, but it all makes sense. There was a lot of thought put into the various things that happen, they all link together and they all happen for a reason.

A good story, and a good game, make the reader/ player go "oooh, so that's how it goes! I wonder what happens next?". The way you tell your story makes people go "huh? This makes no sense at all."

They might keep reading / playing just to see what other inconsistency you pull out of your tophat, but it's not going to be a very enjoyable experience.


3) Originality
Another important step to making your story interesting is originality. You are absolutely right, the Pokémon genre is pretty bland and people know how it goes. Get badges, beat the elite -insert number here- and become a Pokémon master. I am not going to disagree with you there that it could do with something new.

Except... you're not doing anything new.

You're just combining one game with another. Megaman and Roll are not your own inventions, they've existed all this time. What you are doing is not a fresh, interesting take on pokémon, it is taking Pokémon and Megaman Battle Network and trying to blend them together, no matter how incompatible the two might be.

Again, I'll show you with an example, to make it more obvious what I mean:

Quote:
Legolas shook his head and pulled out his lightsaber, pointing it in Sauron's direction. "You will not take the hobbit. Frodo will destroy the One Ring as foreseen by Gandalf in the Force."

Sauron roared in anger at the elf who defied him and sent electricity shooting from his fingertips.
I have written a totally unique and original new story!

Or... no, wait. I just combined Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. That's not new and refreshing at all.




There is nothing wrong with liking two games, but it is not original to just throw them together like you are trying to do. At best you're going to create a very confusing game that forces two genres together. More likely, if your game ever does end up being even remotely successful, you'll get a cease and desist order from either Nintendo or Capcom.

You can also forget about them picking up your game and developing it as you suggested earlier, as they're not even owned by the same company.
  #28    
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:12 AM
MegamanDX's Avatar
MegamanDX
Pokemon/Megaman fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: just move here
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
Send a message via Skype™ to MegamanDX
Quote:
QUOTE=Theik;7432300]You keep saying this, you've repeated over and over that you're good at telling a story, but there has yet to be anything to show for this. In fact, everything you have posted so far says quite the opposite.

If you intend to carry on with your project and want to write the text and story yourself, it'd help to understand some more basic concepts about telling a story.

1) Making it readable
I can't stress this enough. Take any random sentence in your "manual" and it'll be pretty much guaranteed to look incoherent.

If somebody reads this, they will have no idea what you meant. Is the civil war out of control? Are the problems out of your control? Are the problems out of control in general? Punctuation and a flow of sentences is important, or people will misunderstand. That's not even mentioning the 2 minutes it would have taken to run your document through a spell-check to take out 95% of the glaring grammatical errors.

2) Make it believable
There is a big difference between a story being believable and a story being realistic. There is no need for a story to be 100% realistic, every genre has it's own set of handwaved rules. There's no need to explain why Pokémon exist or why a Pikachu shoots lightning, those are all pretty much understood points by anybody who will play your game.

But everything storywise that you came up with seems to happen for no apparent reason, there's not even the simplest of explanations.

For example:
Spoiler:
You just got your Pokemon in real life,A Pikachu if you are a boy and a Shiny
Celebii if your a girl...And civil war then breaks in your world due to problems
that out of control...
You escape to the Pokemon world,and meet new Pokemon and people but things
are not what they seem and also on a night on your first adventure,your Pokemon
runs away from the storm and you find it with a tree fallen on it....
You panic but know that the only way to save your Pokemon life is use what ever
was given to you...You use your handheld system and a light envelopes the area....
You afterward wake up to find your Pokemon talking like you and also has a arm
cannon,you notice that you too have a arm cannon....And your real journey
begins!!!


Now I'm not going to rewrite it to use proper grammar, that would certainly help make it a lot more readable, but let's take some basic steps to show where your little introduction fails to make a lot of sense for anybody who reads it (or was playing your game.)

A shiny celebii? We all been trained to accept that certain pokémon are rare. A pikachu is rare, a shiny pikachu is almost unheard of. A legendary is something you might see once in your life, a shiny legendary is most likely something nobody has ever seen. Yet your girl character gets a shiny legendary as her very first Pokémon?

This is incredibly unbelievable, it goes against everything people have been shown about the Pokémon universe. I understand that your reasoning is 'that it is pink', but that is not a solid reason to give a character a shiny legendary. If you just want pink, there are dozens of non-shiny legendary Pokémon you could go for.

By setting her up with an outrageously rare Pokémon you're setting her up for mary sue syndrome.

Civil wars don't generally just fall out of the sky. Not only does it seem completely irrelevant to your story at large, but if these kinds of events are actually important to your story, they need to happen for a reason.

Wait, you escape to the Pokémon world? But you were already given a Pokémon, so that means you were already in the Pokémon world. There's also no explanation as to how you "escape to another world". Also, did this 15 year old child just skip worlds while his family and friends are in a world in a civil war? Shouldn't they at least be worried about their loved ones?

No, instead they go on their first Pokémon adventure as if nothing has ever happened. Not very believable.


Granted I don't know what "your handheld system" is or does, this doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd do if a Pokémon was trapped under a tree. In the entire series Pokémon have survived tremendous amounts of injury if they were simply returned to their Pokéball and taken to a hospital. Why does the character believe their handheld device can help? Why does it suddenly give off light? What is the purpose of this thing?


Again, a completely unexplained event that makes no sense at all. Did the light put the character to sleep? How did it give the Pokémon the ability to speak? Why do you suddenly have an arm cannon?

Did the character get hit by lightning and are they now imagining the entire thing? Did they somehow get sucked into the handheld device? Did a mystery pokémon swoop in to save them?

You're not explaining anything, you're just asking your reader to "go with it", which makes for a very inconsistent and confusing story.



To you these events might all make sense in your head, but to anybody looking at your story / game, it looks like a bunch of post-it notes that are completely unrelated. I'll give you an example that might make it more obvious.


Now you might be able to form some sort of coherent story from that if you use your imagination and fill in all the blanks, but as it stands, it is hardly a story.

Leaving huge gaping holes in your story is not the sign of good story telling, you don't want to leave your audiences baffled as to what has just happened.


Look at something like the Overlord games, or the Warcraft games. You might not know everything right away, but it all makes sense. There was a lot of thought put into the various things that happen, they all link together and they all happen for a reason.

A good story, and a good game, make the reader/ player go "oooh, so that's how it goes! I wonder what happens next?". The way you tell your story makes people go "huh? This makes no sense at all."

They might keep reading / playing just to see what other inconsistency you pull out of your tophat, but it's not going to be a very enjoyable experience.


3) Originality
Another important step to making your story interesting is originality. You are absolutely right, the Pokémon genre is pretty bland and people know how it goes. Get badges, beat the elite -insert number here- and become a Pokémon master. I am not going to disagree with you there that it could do with something new.

Except... you're not doing anything new.

You're just combining one game with another. Megaman and Roll are not your own inventions, they've existed all this time. What you are doing is not a fresh, interesting take on pokémon, it is taking Pokémon and Megaman Battle Network and trying to blend them together, no matter how incompatible the two might be.

Again, I'll show you with an example, to make it more obvious what I mean:



I have written a totally unique and original new story!

Or... no, wait. I just combined Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. That's not new and refreshing at all.




There is nothing wrong with liking two games, but it is not original to just throw them together like you are trying to do. At best you're going to create a very confusing game that forces two genres together. More likely, if your game ever does end up being even remotely successful, you'll get a cease and desist order from either Nintendo or Capcom.

You can also forget about them picking up your game and developing it as you suggested earlier, as they're not even owned by the same company.
[/QUOTE]












Yea,I know.....I guess I need for clarifying to help ya out.

The reason why the story of Pokemon Battle Network is the way it is because it makes you think about anything that can happen...

#1 Why does the story have so many holes in it?: Pokemon Battle Network wont give you reasons why certain things happen,you got to think why the event has or is happing right at that moment....Like this:

You might have a question why you become this cyborg like thing but if you remember right...In the very beginning of the story Arceus tells Dialga and Palkia to watch over the two humans(the boy and girl heros of the story) in the Real World and also tell the two legendarys to get the two humans out of the Real World before the war that Arceus wants to start...The Real World is basically our world but in video game form for your info

Arceus also gives the two humans, Pokemon in a form of a birthday present and with the help of Dialga and Palkia when the fighting between humans in that world begins...Also note the Pokemon that they are given as well as a interest Dialga and Palkia have towards the hero's of the story....
The hero's were a part of a experiment gone horribly wrong to introduce Pokemon to other worlds,In the end of that story which is called Super Pokemon World(I dont think it will happen by the looks of this but Super Pokemon World is a action,platformer game that you explore the Pokemon World based of what gender you are),the prequel(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prequel) to Pokemon Battle Network...Three Pokemon were to be the first Pokemon introduced to other worlds but Charr( if your a boy)the Charmander or Eeev(if your agirl)the Eevee did make it to another world ....The real world but reborn as a human with no knowledge of ever been a Pokemon other then the fact that they became Pokemon fans like you and me are....and Charr and Eeev's friendsCharr)Pika,the Pichu and Zero of Zorua,(Eeev) Cey the baby Shiny Celebi and Treeko the wood gecko...Were sent to another time period.....

How does this relate to Pokemon Battle Network,give a hint of a requel that happened many eons ago and a story that slowly progressing and the Pokemon you get to see have very important parts in Pokemon video games.....Like Shiny Celebi had a crush on Grovyle in PMD


So all this means is that the reasons why certain events happen...You got the think why it happened and there are hints that are kind of small but think about it hard enough and you'll find the reason....




#2 How is this original? Simple but might be hard to understand at first...My idea was not on being fully original because that wont happen anymore,everything has been invented so having something completely original is out of the question...

Im not trying to be original,just the point of PKMN BN is to bring anime style battling(It should've happened in the first place) with a story that would make you think about things and always will make you question and to note also,I didn't put down completely the entire plot because its very very long explaining the story and how it goes.....Its would be about the size of your post i'm quoting from you right now and I just don't have the time like right now to type it all up for ya but I figured a way to get it all up at once but it will take me a while(check back in about a month and ill have it all up you ya!)

....and MM BN showed that anime style batting was possible and even was turn based

#3(from another member on here) This sound more like a hack to me,why arn't you making this into a hack?
Hacks are illegal because you have to obtain a ROM before you get the change it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_hacking and obtaining any ROM without paying for it is illegal...

Also some features in Pokemon Battle Network,you cant get in Pokemon or Megaman games like how the menus work or look or how battles work...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmsF1-9v5g You really cant do what has already been made,what I mean is that you would have to comleatly change the structure of the programming in order to do what PKMN BN allows you to do


And its all ready 12 at night right now(Why I leave things out is i dont have the time to type everything so I leave stuff out of my posts so I can get the post finished...Its not that not im reading the entire post because I actually am reading it all,im just doing with what I my skills are capable of...I have alot of typing as I have already spent three hours typing this up so if you can figure...im going with what I can do and trying to limit the time to my post....Its kind of strange how my posts are...



Ummmmmm,Got a question? How do I learn about the programming lanuage in Unity since Super Pokemon World and PKMN BN if they dont have any basic starter guide like how to write basic scripts and I cant even find one for what you guys have for the Ruby one?



But thanks for you not getting all mad on me...I try to avoid arguments cause I tend to suck at everything competitive related if you know what I mean. Thanks for you at least understanding me,I haven't got that yet from anybody.....

Maybe I should work on Super Pokemon World,the action,platformer game that you explore the Pokemon world and its secrets instead of PKMN BN since its technically the prequel to PKMN BN
  #29    
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:24 AM
NikNaks's Avatar
NikNaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegamanDX View Post
Yea,I know.....I guess I need for clarifying to help ya out.

The reason why the story of Pokemon Battle Network is the way it is because it makes you think about anything that can happen...
Have you ever read a book where everything was so vague and unexplained that you had to write the plot yourself in your mind? Maybe that's something that you enjoy, but for most people (me included) that's not satisfying in any way whatsoever.

Quote:
Pokemon Battle Network wont give you reasons why certain things happen,you got to think why the event has or is happing right at that moment....Like this:

You might have a question why you become this cyborg like thing but if you remember right...In the very beginning of the story Arceus tells Dialga and Palkia to watch over the two humans(the boy and girl heros of the story) in the Real World and also tell the two legendarys to get the two humans out of the Real World before the war that Arceus wants to start...The Real World is basically our world but in video game form for your info
Is this meant to explain the cyborgs? Or offer some insight? Because it really doesn't do either.

Quote:
Arceus also gives the two humans, Pokemon in a form of a birthday present and with the help of Dialga and Palkia when the fighting between humans in that world begins...Also note the Pokemon that they are given as well as a interest Dialga and Palkia have towards the hero's of the story....
The hero's were a part of a experiment gone horribly wrong to introduce Pokemon to other worlds,In the end of that story which is called Super Pokemon World(I dont think it will happen by the looks of this but Super Pokemon World is a action,platformer game that you explore the Pokemon World based of what gender you are),the prequel(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prequel) to Pokemon Battle Network...Three Pokemon were to be the first Pokemon introduced to other worlds but Charr( if your a boy)the Charmander or Eeev(if your agirl)the Eevee did make it to another world ....The real world but reborn as a human with no knowledge of ever been a Pokemon other then the fact that they became Pokemon fans like you and me are....and Charr and Eeev's friendsCharr)Pika,the Pichu and Zero of Zorua,(Eeev) Cey the baby Shiny Celebi and Treeko the wood gecko...Were sent to another time period.....

How does this relate to Pokemon Battle Network,give a hint of a requel that happened many eons ago and a story that slowly progressing and the Pokemon you get to see have very important parts in Pokemon video games.....Like Shiny Celebi had a crush on Grovyle in PMD

So all this means is that the reasons why certain events happen...You got the think why it happened and there are hints that are kind of small but think about it hard enough and you'll find the reason....
Why did you feel the need to link to the article for "Prequel"? That aside, this doesn't make any sense, either. No amount of thought will give us the key to understanding how any of this links together, because there is no coherent plot to help us. If I wanted to make up my own story, I'd go and sit under a tree and close my eyes for a while.

Quote:
Ummmmmm,Got a question? How do I learn about the programming lanuage in Unity since Super Pokemon World and PKMN BN if they dont have any basic starter guide like how to write basic scripts and I cant even find one for what you guys have for the Ruby one?
A starter guide for Unity? Or RGSS? Which ones have you tried? If you don't like the style of these ones, there are many, many others.

Quote:
Maybe I should work on Super Pokemon World,the action,platformer game that you explore the Pokemon world and its secrets instead of PKMN BN since its technically the prequel to PKMN BN
Maybe try reading the post by Theik and actually try to understand what he's saying instead of trying to defend what you've written. This idea really doesn't make sense, but if you apply what he's said, you could turn it into something that might actually be enjoyable to play.
__________________

Last edited by NikNaks; December 10th, 2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Clarity
  #30    
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Dying Light's Avatar
Dying Light
Assassin
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Somewhere cold...
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
Have you ever read a book where everything was so vague and unexplained that you had to write the plot yourself in your mind? Maybe that's something that you enjoy, but for most people (me included) that's not satisfying in any way whatsoever.



Is this meant to explain the cyborgs? Or offer some insight? Because it really doesn't do either.
Agreed. I don't pick up a fiction book knowing I have to visualize and map the plot in my brain. That is the author's, or in your case, your job to do that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
Why did you feel the need to link to the article for "Prequel"? That aside, this doesn't make any sense, either. No amount of thought will give us the key to understanding how any of this links together, because there is no coherent plot to help us. If I wanted to make up my own story, I'd go and sit under a tree and close my eyes for a while.
This so hard.

Your story is so incredulously distorted and lacks several key plot details that allow the "reader" easy recognition of what is occurring in the story.

Here is an example of a readable story.
Spoiler:
One bright and shiny day, Jim the kid was walking down the street in his neighborhood. All of a sudden, Jim hears the wailing of an ice cream truck's music in the distance...


Now, of course it's quite a generic story, but let's take it and water it down like you have consistently done.
Spoiler:
one day jim heard a truck. then the man gave him some ice cream and jim was happy.


See where I'm getting at?

Provide a clear, concise story that doesn't kill the reader's brain by making them do all the work. It's your story, make it happen bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
A starter guide for Unity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
Or RGSS? Which ones have you tried? If you don't like the style of these ones, there are many, many others.
Indeed there are. Check YouTube, for example. Tons of people have taken the time to submit videos explaining in-depth procedures. However, for the best experience, just surf the net for text guides. You will learn much more if you read the instructions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
Maybe try reading the post by Theik and actually try to understand what he's saying instead of trying to defend what you've written. This idea really doesn't make sense, but if you apply what he's said, you could turn it into something that might actually be enjoyable to play.
Theik's post was an excruciatingly detailed and relevant summary of what you should be doing.

NikNaks is correct. Stop defending your posts, and stop taking other people's suggestions with a grain of salt. Quit being arrogant and realize that people are trying to help you, not hinder your work. There is a reason some of us, like Theik, took our time to post something that could help get your project where it needs to be.
__________________
All that once was, and all that will be...
...will never be the same.
  #31    
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:29 PM
BattleScarred53's Avatar
BattleScarred53
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Nothing against this project, but it seems as if you're changing the game too much. Now, I'm not against change, but it seems more like you're forgetting what Pokemon is about in whole: The player raising Pokemon to their highest potential to be the best. Game Freak and Nintendo keep to the same formula since they don't forget their roots, such is the case with other games like Mario, Zelda, Pikmin (still waiting on three) and many others. While it's a good idea, making the battles a bit more action based, I personally think it takes most, if not all, of the strategy away from the battling. The Battle Network system eliminates types and stats, and those are the only thing separating Absol, Mudkip, the dreaded Luvdisc, and that stupid looking trash bag. It pretty much says forget the original formula entirely (which none of the spin-off titles did, even Ranger), and let's change everything that we focused on back in '95. The story is a mess, but I was able to put enough together that I see it's alright, but it's certainly not game worthy. Again, I'm not against change, but don't forget what made it enjoyable in the first place.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/LikelyBrotherhood


Last edited by BattleScarred53; January 1st, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
  #32    
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
MegamanDX's Avatar
MegamanDX
Pokemon/Megaman fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: just move here
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
Send a message via Skype™ to MegamanDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleScarred53 View Post
Nothing against this project, but it seems as if you're changing the game too much. Now, I'm not against change, but it seems more like you're forgetting what Pokemon is about in whole: The player raising Pokemon to their highest potential to be the best. Game Freak and Nintendo keep to the same formula since they don't forget their roots, such is the case with other games like Mario, Zelda, Pikmin (still waiting on three) and many others. While it's a good idea, making the battles a bit more action based, I personally think it takes most, if not all, of the strategy away from the battling. The Battle Network system eliminates types and stats, and those are the only thing separating Absol, Mudkip, the dreaded Luvdisc, and that stupid looking trash bag. It pretty much says forget the original formula entirely (which none of the spin-off titles did, even Ranger), and let's change everything that we focused on back in '95. The story is a mess, but I was able to put enough together that I see it's alright, but it's certainly not game worthy. Again, I'm not against change, but don't forget what made it enjoyable in the first place.
Ummm,Ill quote what I said to a friend of mine.

Quote:
"Its still got types(and now elements as well) stats(change in real time)...Im going to make the main charters talk,its still 8 gyms to beat but you usually have to do something beforehand...and after you beat the champion,you fight the legendary Pokemon for that game in order to save the region and the main story ends(Mewtwo is the final boss in PKMN BN Flame or Grass)....and the battle system is still turn based but you just move your Pokemon in battle to avoid attacks and you get to chose your own attacks to use....Its the same as the other Pokemon games but its just done differently...More like the anime shows"
But no worrys!...The project is on hiatus untill the 8th of Jan. because of the message Game Freak made.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.