• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hoenn Remake or Kanto Remake?

Which would you prefer?

• Hoenn Remake

Votes: 138 92.6%
  • Kanto Remake

Votes: 11 7.4%

• Total voters
Years
Hoenn. At first, I wasn't too fond of it. But it definitely has grown on me since it first came out and I would love for Game Freak to refine our beloved R/S/E!!!

Years
I'd love to see the next game of pokemon made with 6th gen pokemon, but with the same spin on it as pokemon crystal. it was the third in the g/s/c series but it had better animation nd both the first and second regions!

Maybe nintendo could make something similar for the new pokemon game - but link it with all regions?

katiekun11

I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!
Years
I'd prefer a Hoenn remake, myself. I loved playing RSE when I was younger, it would be fantastic to revisit it. I liked all the water routes! & Tate/Liza were soooo easy to beat, would be good if they made them harder next time xD

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
I am assuming that the announcement this coming Tuesday is a remake of either Hoenn or Kanto, and that they will be on the DS and part of Generation V. (Then again, the last time such a big announcement was promised, it was a Battrio set.)

This post is about the LIKELIHOOD of each region, not which one I want.

Neutral Evidence:

1. FireRed and LeafGreen were released before Emerald, but after Ruby and Sapphire. Both R/S/E and FR/LG were in Gen III.
  2. 2013 is the North American fifteenth anniversary of R/B, and the non-Japanese tenth anniversary of R/S. Game Freak has referenced the international games in the past, though never with game releases.
Evidence Favoring Kanto:

1. Kanto has appeared in every generation, and has not yet appeared in Generation V.
  2. Lati@s and the Regi trio were catchable in B2/W2.
Evidence Favoring Hoenn:

1. Kanto appeared in Gen IV (HG/SS) while Hoenn has not appeared since Emerald.
  2. The Shoal Cave-related items reappeared in Gen V, which they would not have done if there were no Hoenn remakes in that generation.
  3. Three of the four non-event Kanto legendaries are the legendary birds, which were roamers in Platinum and could conceivably be roamers in Hoenn remakes if the legendary beasts did not fulfill the "extra roamers in the remake" slots. The fourth legendary is Mewtwo, which could be placed in Altering Cave to make said cave have an actual purpose other than EV training. (On top of that, Altering Cave and Cerulean Cave had the same music IIRC.)

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
Hoenn, absolutely Hoenn.
If they did that, every single game in the series would have been remade, with the ability to transfer/trade & complete a Pokèdex in any of the remakes (assuming future events occur for specifics).

Aside from that, imagine the glory of Hoenn's diving sequences, in glorious Gen V quality... O_O.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Personally, I'd rather play an entirely new adventure, either a B2/W2-esque sequel set in Hoenn, or with Hoenn available in post-game (I have already stated my theory about how there won't be R/S/E remakes at all in the pinned topic). Kanto's been done to death, and Hoenn has some interesting locations that, IMO, would shine in 3D.

Last edited:

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
Personally, I'd rather play an entirely new adventure, either a B2/W2-esque sequel set in Hoenn, or with Hoenn available in post-game (I have already stated my theory about how there won't be R/S/E remakes at all in the pinned topic). Kanto's been done to death, and Hoenn has some interesting locations that, IMO, would shine in 3D.
Hoenn didn't set up enough hooks for a sequel, especially a sequel eleven years later. It's also far enough from Sinnoh that a Sinnoh sequel with Hoenn post-game wouldn't work. We might see the Gen VI games have Hoenn post-game, but that would piss off the part of the fandom that wants straight remakes.

Years
Call me a criminal, but I'd love to see a Kanto remake. Nothing against Hoenn, but I just really didn't find it very... Standout-ish, aside from the torturous amounts of water routes, it wasn't very special to me. And plus, I think that it'd only be fitting that Kanto see's the first 3DS Pokemon RPG title.

I don't understand why people say that. The only majoring surfing in hoenn was towards the 7th and 8th gym badge. Before that, the surfing is used just as much as the previous installments.

Besides we already have a Kanto remake: FireRed and LeafGreen, which were excellent remakes. I think it's time to make one for Ruby and Sapphire as they're probably the more underrated games next to Diamond and Pearl
I would definitely get the sapphire version of the remake.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't understand why people say that. The only majoring surfing in hoenn was towards the 7th and 8th gym badge. Before that, the surfing is used just as much as the previous installments.

Actually its from Lillycove to Mossdeep which is 6th to 7th Gyms, then major story point that usually leaves you in the water routes for an obscenely long time, then after you finish that you earn the 8th badge and go through more water route travel up until you get to Evergrand. After E4 you still have to go through the water routes to reach the hidden legends if in RS (the underwater ruins to unlock the Regi and near pacifilodge to get rayquaza).

Hoenn is about half water and half land. Which is what annoys a lot of people.

You also have the large gap between Petalburg and Dewford and then again from Dewford to Slateport. Almost all the extra exploration areas on on the water routes as well.

Years
I personally like Kanto much more than Hoenn, but we don't need another remake of Kanto, it already got 3. One in Gold/Silver/Crytal, one in FireRed/LeafGreen and one in HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Buuuuuut that's just my opinion.

Years
Actually its from Lillycove to Mossdeep which is 6th to 7th Gyms, then major story point that usually leaves you in the water routes for an obscenely long time, then after you finish that you earn the 8th badge and go through more water route travel up until you get to Evergrand. After E4 you still have to go through the water routes to reach the hidden legends if in RS (the underwater ruins to unlock the Regi and near pacifilodge to get rayquaza).

Hoenn is about half water and half land. Which is what annoys a lot of people.

You also have the large gap between Petalburg and Dewford and then again from Dewford to Slateport. Almost all the extra exploration areas on on the water routes as well.

Lillycove to Mosdeep is just one straight surf to the right. It isn't until after defeating Tate and Liza that you have to surf a lot to do things for the story, which is between the 7th and 8th gym. And it's not that bad. I mean what's the difference between surfing on water and running on grass? You're still fighting trainers, encountering wild Pokemon (albeit they're all water types), and still able to use repels.

Although yes, post-game exploration may amount to more surfing, but the main game itself doesn't have too much.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Lillycove to Mosdeep is just one straight surf to the right. It isn't until after defeating Tate and Liza that you have to surf a lot to do things for the story, which is between the 7th and 8th gym. And it's not that bad. I mean what's the difference between surfing on water and running on grass? You're still fighting trainers, encountering wild Pokemon (albeit they're all water types), and still able to use repels.

Although yes, post-game exploration may amount to more surfing, but the main game itself doesn't have too much.

I don't honestly know what's with the water route hate myself XD

I love Water types so all the water routes were amazing for me. I'm just pointing out you spend about half the game on land and half in water. Which was the entire point of the game anyway cause of Aqua/Magma thing.

I want Kanto remakes again simply because both are equally outdated games and overall Hoenn wasn't that great to me so I'd rather play a region I liked.

Years
I don't honestly know what's with the water route hate myself XD

I love Water types so all the water routes were amazing for me. I'm just pointing out you spend about half the game on land and half in water. Which was the entire point of the game anyway cause of Aqua/Magma thing.

I want Kanto remakes again simply because both are equally outdated games and overall Hoenn wasn't that great to me so I'd rather play a region I liked.

Oh yes I know what you were saying. I just never got why people didn't like it much myself, and just felt like addressing it.
To me Hoenn wasn't that great either, but I'm hoping the remake uses the 3Ds features to make the experience better.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'd love to have both, but a Hoenn remake would make me a very happy Vapor. I have so much nostalgia for the games, in fact I'm playing Emerald as I type :P

In fact I know what my team would be. Partly a throwback to my original Ruby team:
Gorebyss
Blaziken
Cacturne
Gardevoir
Salamence
?

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Hoenn for 3 reasons.

1. Kanto is almost every generation.
2. Hoenn is left alone so it doesn't make the games suck because of the nerfs. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Hoenn. I love Hoenn, but that's actually a good thing Game Freak didn't use it outside of R/S/E because Kanto as a second region made G/S/C my (second to if it has to be the version of the region I live in) least favorite. Sure it got fixed in the remakes such as HG and SS, but I digress. If you're gonna have a second region, then make it good. Otherwise, just stick with only one region.
3. R/S/E (Yes I'm always gushing about it) is my absolute favorite of the series.

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
I don't like considering Emerald as a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, though most people do. What I call a remake is what they did with Fire Red and Leaf Green. We couldn't call Emerald a sequel either because there are minor changes, which basically make Emerald like the third version which came out a bit later than R&S.

Having this in mind, if we've already had a remake of the old Green/Red games (and we have too of Gold/Silver), I'd totally prefer a remake of the Gen III.

Besides, though indirectly, we've had kind of a "second remake" of Kanto in HG/SS... So please, no more Kanto, let's give Hoenn a try.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
Hoenn remakes first, please. I love the region itself over any other, it's so beautiful.

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
Wow this is a hard choice to make. Hoenn would be the optimal choice though. It's about time it's had its remake. As much as I love and have grown up with Kanto, it's received a little too much love, haha.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Personally, I don't think we need to remake any game of the Advanced Generation (Kanto or Hoenn).

Hell, the reason why Gen 1 was remade in the first place is because the creators needed to find a way to get the remaining Pokemon from Kanto and Johto to complete the National Dex for Hoenn as the GBA couldn't link with the older GameBoy systems.

The main reason why Gen 2 was remade for the DS is for exactly the some thing. The DSi and all systems after couldn't link with the GBA games and the creators needed to find a way for players to complete the National Dex.

Gen 5 doesn't have this problem as you can freely link up with the Gen 4 DS games.

Also, the first two Generations were remade because the GB and GBC cartridges were glitched and the saved game data was corrupted over a period of time. Without those remakes, fans would not have been able to revisit those regions. As I understand it, the GBA games don't suffer this effect so anybody who misses the Hoenn region could just fire up their GBA and relive their adventures there.

That said, if I had to choose it's a no brainer. I'm a Kanto boy at heart.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Thank you, RoreyG, I feel less lonely now :) . I wanted to say the exact same thing in my post, (this, and the fact that since both RBY and RSE are at the very beginning of the games' timeline, in either case their remakes would either require a second reboot or completely screw up the series' timeline; this is why I insisted on wanting a Hoenn sequel and not remake) , but was afraid it would be off-topic.

Back