The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:43 AM
NarutoActor's Avatar
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brooklyn/Marlboro
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
How come emulation/Rom Hacking section were not represented as a category?
__________________
~There are those people who understand hex, F the rest
Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Mr Cat Dog's Avatar
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
That's all fine and dandy, but I want to bring one thing up - that this thread exists.

If it's so trivial, then how come we have this thread? The Prettiest Profile contest doesn't have a feedback thread, the Reviews contest doesn't have a review thread, none of the other contests have a review thread.

I don't know about you, but being that this thread exists, tells me that you want everyone to think this is a very big deal.
The main reason we have this feedback thread is because MOTY in general has been a relatively turbulent issue ever since it was started 2 years ago. It's always attracted controversy because of those who use it as an excuse to big up their friends and those who think it's simply a popularity contest. Because of this, the staff have tweaked with the formula for each subsequent edition to try and satisfy the balance between rewarding members who genuinely make a positive impact on PC and NOT making it such a popularity contest. Such tweaking is the result of discussion in the staff forums and the feedback we get from members. The whole point of MOTY is to reward members and have a bit of fun in the process, after all! Things like PPC and Review contests are, for the most part, more static because there's much less inherent controversy around them. As much as I wouldn't be opposed to feedback threads for them, there's much less of a need to make them because their formats are relatively set in stone. MOTY, however, will probably look different in 2013, and members can use this thread to suggest improvements.

In an earlier post, you said that "Since the thread was to see how everyone felt about it, I did what they told me to". I just want to say a few points about that. First, no one is forcing you to give feedback if you don't want to. As much as I'd like people to give feedback, I certainly wouldn't want to make them do it against their wills. Second, I want to thank you for the feedback that you did give. I'm sorry that you felt that MOTY was shoved down your throat, and I'll bear that in mind in 10-11 months time. Third, however, is that good feedback is not made in a vaccuum. By giving feedback and responding to a thread such as this, you open up your post for discussion as well. As does everyone who posts in this thread; that's the nature of a forum, after all! For the most part, people have been trying to ascertain why you felt the way you did. They haven't been haranguing you or forcing you to change your view; if you feel that way, no one is going to do so. And, it's entirely your prerogative to ignore those questions and go on with your life. But let me say that people aren't out to get you in any way: they just want to know why you feel the way you do.

If you have any questions, feel free to speak with me on this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
How come emulation/Rom Hacking section were not represented as a category?
Different section mods chose not to participate for their own reasons. As well as ROM Hacking, General Entertainment didn't have an entry either. If you want a better explanation for ROM Hacking specifically, it'd be best to ask that section's moderators.
__________________

Last edited by Mr Cat Dog; January 3rd, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
The main reason we have this feedback thread is because MOTY in general has been a relatively turbulent issue ever since it was started 2 years ago. It's always attracted controversy because of those who use it as an excuse to big up their friends and those who think it's simply a popularity contest. Because of this, the staff have tweaked with the formula for each subsequent edition to try and satisfy the balance between rewarding members who genuinely make a positive impact on PC and NOT making it such a popularity contest. Such tweaking is the result of discussion in the staff forums and the feedback we get from members. The whole point of MOTY is to reward members and have a bit of fun in the process, after all! Things like PPC and Review contests are, for the most part, more static because there's much less inherent controversy around them. As much as I wouldn't be opposed to feedback threads for them, there's much less of a need to make them because their formats are relatively set in stone. MOTY, however, will probably look different in 2013, and members can use this thread to suggest improvements.
Oh, I guess that makes sense.

But since this is more of a "popularity contest" at its core more than anything else, I think the best course of action is just to ignore the people who don't like it (like me) and just have the people who enjoy it, enjoy it. After all, I only don't like it because I don't like being reminded that I suck at having friends or something, why should the people who like it have to suffer because of me?
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Antemortem's Avatar
Antemortem
I'M HETERO FOR KAYA SCODELARIO
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas, United States
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Oh, I guess that makes sense.

But since this is more of a "popularity contest" at its core more than anything else, I think the best course of action is just to ignore the people who don't like it (like me) and just have the people who enjoy it, enjoy it. After all, I only don't like it because I don't like being reminded that I suck at having friends or something, why should the people who like it have to suffer because of me?
I feel like you are posting with an overwhelmingly unnecessary amount of resentment. You shouldn't feel that this contest is for the people who enjoy it and not for those who 'have no friends' or don't enjoy it, but rather something fun for those who want to participate. The course of events that take place during and after this event are, as Harlequin so eloquently put it earlier, trivial and unnecessary. This should have no bearing whatsoever on your humility or self-confidence - I strongly urge you and anyone else not to participate if you feel this way about this event and this event makes you feel this way. I - and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people - don't want anyone to get hurt by something that was meant to be fun.

You have uncanny good judgement and you should put it to good use. :]
__________________
senpai on the streets

kawaii in the sheets
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
I feel like you are posting with an overwhelmingly unnecessary amount of resentment. You shouldn't feel that this contest is for the people who enjoy it and not for those who 'have no friends' or don't enjoy it, but rather something fun for those who want to participate. The course of events that take place during and after this event are, as Harlequin so eloquently put it earlier, trivial and unnecessary. This should have no bearing whatsoever on your humility or self-confidence - I strongly urge you and anyone else not to participate if you feel this way about this event and this event makes you feel this way. I - and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people - don't want anyone to get hurt by something that was meant to be fun.

You have uncanny good judgement and you should put it to good use. :]
Well, which is what I meant when I said "great. whoever wants to enjoy it can enjoy it." There will always be people who hate something for whatever reasons, but forget them. I mean. Seriously.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:01 PM
Major Ziggs's Avatar
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
If people not voting for you makes you feel bad then I'm sure you could always ask to not be eligible for voting next year? Then you won't know if you would've won or not but you won't be able to feel bad about a lack of votes. However this thread is primarily for feedback, so what would be most helpful is if you suggested a way to fix the problem that you're talking about rather than just saying "this is how I feel that's that forget about me". We want everyone to feel happy about these events so the best way to make that happen is by supplying feedback on how you think these problems can be solved :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Jak's Avatar
Jak
mother of challenges
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
I think the feedback thread is for more or less to know whether or not you liked the set up this year and what we could do to fix it. The popularity contest thing comes up every year and I'd just be a parrot if I repeated everything that's been said about it already, but I want to brush upon that if you really don't like it, just ignore it and don't vote. Even could do what Ozzy said and ask to be immune from being voted for or something. I don't see why this topic is even still going honestly. If you're hurt over a forum contest that's just for fun, then...idk how to help you.
__________________

POPWAR'S BUNNY
get on baboon's level ho
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
That's the point I'm trying to get across. If people are sensitive, just ignore them. There's no point in trying to please those people. It's as good as it is.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Major Ziggs's Avatar
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
That's the point I'm trying to get across. If people are sensitive, just ignore them. There's no point in trying to please those people. It's as good as it is.
We don't want to ignore anyone - everybody should feel as happy as possible about the events and competitions that we run. If you're feeling like this then chances are you're not alone, so if you can help us think of a way to resolve the issue for everyone feeling this way then that'd be more helpful than anything else. I don't feel the same about the contest as you do so any solution I could offer most likely wouldn't cover everything you're concerned about which is why we need feedback from members like you to tell us exactly what's wrong and suggest methods to fix this. So ignoring people isn't an option :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Riku's Avatar
Riku
Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Okay then...


That's actually the precise reason why we did nominations last year, but people (even staff) didn't like that. I thought it was a pretty fair way to represent their respective forums, but I think respective forum Member of the Year ballots like we did this year are even better. Most of the people who post in MotY are regulars of OC&D and OVP, and they're not really going to know who the best strategic battler is, whereas people in the competitive battling forum are much more likely to make a more informed vote.

Though I disagree that it's about doing it to the right people, considering anyone is capable of voting. Everyone just doesn't. Perhaps instead of focusing on the people who remain dedicated to posting their ballots, we focus on expanding that and probably we'd be a little more productive in this discussion.
What was wrong with the nomination thing? That... honestly seems like the best method of doing things and most fair. May be more involved, but isn't this supposed to be about the community coming together anyway? Expanding the process seems like it gives more opportunity to really interact.

Also, that's something I'm in favor of. I don't dislike the intent behind MOTY, but I do dislike how it's done. It's not very inclusive or encouraging for the literally thousands of people to participate. And being open-vote like it is can prove dicouraging to those who already feel voiceless or shy anyway that may WANT to participate. Which, again, leads to a very select few, who typically are seen as the top of the PC hierarchy by many, being most of the voters. To me, there's something wrong with that. Change how it's set up to make it friendlier to EVERYONE and maybe that would yield a better end result that seems more fair.

Also, by perhaps PRIVATIZING votes (like how PPC is done), it would eleviate some of those hurt feelings some people may have who really hoped to receive a vote. I know that Lerroux is still around, so why not use that as a blank account or something for members to submit their votes to via a PM? No one would ever have to know if they garnered a vote or not, plus they wouldn't feel so pressured to vote with a crowd and allow even more for people to vote for those that THEY feel deserve it. But again, I don't think it should really exist in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
Going to be completely open and honest here. When member of the year 2012 came around in the staff forums, I opposed it. I was also against there being yet another popularity contest. Oddly enough I ended up winning, but you know what? I do not care about being popular, I don't strive for the approval of members on a forum, nor do I consider myself popular either, even now. After seeing that there were members I've never seen nor heard of winning categories, it showed me how ignorant I had been to oppose this. Reason being is that at least it's not just the big names winning everything. For me, my game had one favourite game of the year, and I won best mapper. Okay that's all well and good, I never sought those rewards, but if I hadn't worked extremely hard on those things, they would never have become popular in the eyes of the members and would never have won.

Popularity is not the key to success here, it's not the reason that people win things. If you feel that this is all about popularity then what you're missing is the big picture. A lot of the members who won in certain categories put a lot of work into what they did on the forum, they didn't just rally votes. I can see that by looking at our winners. I'll be the foremost to admit that I was wrong to oppose the contest because it's not a serious thing, it's not the revolution, it's not world war, and it's not some abomination. It's for fun.

So anybody who keeps complaining about it being a popularity contest, really and truly needs to grow a little humanity, and maturity, and see that there's actually more to the members who win the categories. Go ahead, sit down and prove me wrong, point out every winner and please, try and disregard what they've done, who they've helped, the positivist outlook they've shown to the forum. Yes, you may find one or two categories you disagree with, but, look at the number of votes that winner has got, that's how many people disagree with you for starters.

I'm not saying this because I won the member of the year category, or because I'm a staff member, or even because I'm trying to shut all of the nagging up, I'm saying it as a member of the community who actually has a positive outlook on it. If you're going to come in here and state how "this is all a popularity contest and it's pointless", you've already missed the point, as I did. So I'm standing here saying I was wrong to oppose the contest in the beginning.

For you, it might be a redundant popularity contest, for others it's recognition, and for those who can actually come to this forum to relax, enjoy their time and have some fun; this contest is just reminiscent of the reasons they come here.

I don't care about the semantics behind a name next to a category, and neither should you.

I will actually offer feedback on this year's competition in time lol.
First off, I would like to say that I am the kind of person who tends to struggle with vocalizing my thoughts well on these kinds of issues. I would also like to say I am hurt by the statement that those who see it as a popularity contest need to grow some humanity and gain some maturity. I do not mean to come off as saying everyone who won didn't deserve it or that everyone acts the way they do to seek attention. However, the fact remains that it does happen, whether we're aware of it or not, with some people. And it IS easy to attain that spotlight. And it does give clout and boost egos. Didn't for you or most people, that's fantastic. But it can and does happen. Anyone with half a brain who pays attention to this forum enough knows that if you want to get popular, all you need to do is get in with the right people, be it honestly or by putting on a facade. And MOTY is primarily voted on by those VERY people who are a part of that group of people who you'd want to know. I was only going to be joking in saying this, but literally about HALF of the votes always seem to come from people with clout around here. And I'm not trying to say this group of people are to blame for it. They are popular for a reason after all, and most of them attained that by generally just caring and being noticed. But that's the thing: they were noticed and acknowledged. By their predecessors who may be here still or may've since departed. It doesn't make them BETTER than anyone else who is just as phenomenal a member, it's really about them being seen for them. And in turn they continue that tradition. Most of the people who win these things have one thing in common, and that's that they're popular and often friends with the people who do the voting. Hence why, no matter what, I will still say it's a popularity contest. I do not, and WILL not, openly cast judgement on the people who do win. In fact, I do congratulate them. I prefer to do it on a personal basis because I'm shy, but I do try and work up the courage to congratulate people for things like this. But, to put it on a pedestal, and choose one person among sooooo many who may fly under the radar for being great people and members, it discourages many to even really try and really only serves to benefit a few. It perpetuates a status quo that some are better than others in the eyes of specific people, which isn't necessarily reflected by the true majority. Also, again, it kind of cements those who do want to involve themselves in these forum-wide kind of events in silence if they feel pressured enough to be so or are discontented enough, or they too run with the herd so as to not feel pressured (though it's more the former I'd wager than the latter; most people tend to feel more discouraged from saying anything than they do do intimidated to vocally go along with everyone else).

It may be intended and many of the people involved may indeed have pure intentions, but as it is, it tends to create more unhappiness it seems than it does amusement. Also, just because it's fun doesn't mean it doesn't have its repercussions. And MOTY is one of the chief contributors that I've noticed to some of the long-standing stratification we have around this place as it is in its current form. You wonder why every year people complain? I'd bet you dollars for dimes it's because people feel similarly to what I'm saying, only they take it personally.
__________________
pairfamilycredittheme

Reply With Quote
  #36    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Alone View Post
I would also like to say I am hurt by the statement that those who see it as a popularity contest need to grow some humanity and gain some maturity.
I'm so happy you said that, because this is exactly my point. You're getting "hurt" over what is an extremely meaningless contest. You couldn't have emphasized my point better for me, if you're coming on to PokéCommunity and getting "hurt" or annoyed by it, you need to seriously reconsider where you spend your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Alone View Post
I do not mean to come off as saying everyone who won didn't deserve it or that everyone acts the way they do to seek attention. However, the fact remains that it does happen, whether we're aware of it or not, with some people. And it IS easy to attain that spotlight. And it does give clout and boost egos. Didn't for you or most people, that's fantastic. But it can and does happen.
What you've described is the cosmetic feeling that members get when they win categories. We can change member of the year so it suits more people, but we can't change how people react to winning. If a person wins and it boosts their ego as you say, there's nothing we can do about that. You can't change a person and how they react, all we can do is point out that this competition is for fun. To be honest, I would actually put anyone who's ego is boosted by Member of the Year in the same boat as you, and some other members who are taking this too seriously.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Alone View Post
It perpetuates a status quo that some are better than others in the eyes of specific people, which isn't necessarily reflected by the true majority.
This sums up most of what you've been saying. So let me reply; says who? Who on the forum stated that "Member of the Year" made any member better than the other? It states by the very title that it is "of the year", not "of existence". This is not a "This member is better than every other member on the forum" competition as you seem to think it is. The only people who see this competition as anything but a bit of fun are those who seem to think that it puts a number of members ahead of anyone else. It doesn't, they get no gain from it, I've stated before, it's a name beside a category. Seriously. I'll repeat it, and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from, but it is quite under-sighted and inconsiderate that you would view this as a hierarchy. The only people putting anyone ahead of others through the results of this competition are those who are disillusioned as to what it is about; I would put you in that bracket. And I would implore you to seriously think about what you're saying. Member of the Year is two threads and a number of emblems. How on Earth would you translate that to an egotistical, esteem boosting, unfair, bigotry, and elitist contest of what member is better than the other? Yes, popularity is involved in a lot of categories, hence "favourite". If we had said "best" over favourite more over, maybe it would be slightly more in the isle of who is better than others. Perhaps we need to work on not using the word "best" in categories, but anywhere else, it's based on favourites, there's no disillusion of that. If you don't care for being a favourite or seen to be noted in the eyes of the entire forum then you shouldn't care about how the people who do enjoy being so recognise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Alone View Post
It may be intended and many of the people involved may indeed have pure intentions, but as it is, it tends to create more unhappiness it seems than it does amusement. Also, just because it's fun doesn't mean it doesn't have its repercussions. And MOTY is one of the chief contributors that I've noticed to some of the long-standing stratification we have around this place as it is in its current form. You wonder why every year people complain? I'd bet you dollars for dimes it's because people feel similarly to what I'm saying, only they take it personally.
So far I've seen two members complain about Member of the Year, two members who haven't actually suggested how to improve it, and two members who have complained about what is the mass enjoyment for many other members on the forum. Every year we have the same complaints, every year it's "oh this is a stupid popularity contest", I'm going to sound harsh here, but being honest, it's usually people who A) don't involve themselves with the community very positively most of the time B) who tend to have a bleak outlook on the forum as a whole and C) who don't actually participate in the competition nor get mentioned. That last part is assumptive of me I know, however it's been true for many years.

So give us suggestions on how we could improve your experience and involve more people and we will. Because we work on it every year, there were hundreds of replies in the preparation thread in the staff forums, trying to make it work.

But to be honest, you kind of failed to hit home any point with me when you started by saying "I am hurt by". I understand how you can find things disagreeable and offer feedback, but the one thing you shouldn't let yourself do is get hurt by what you deem to be a "popularity contest". If that's all you think it is, then it shouldn't be trivial enough to do so, nor should any replies defending it be.

I'm getting a little tired of seeing constant retort to replies about how Member of the Year works, and what we try to achieve, instead of constantly arguing the semantics of what "popularity" means, actually try and contribute with a suggestion on how you feel that next year we could improve MotY, and include more people. Letting yourself get hurt or annoyed by this is really letting down any point any of you try to make, so please, be a bit more open and positive about how we could improve your experience. We'd genuinely love to hear them.

I will just say that the thread does need to cool it a small bit, keep it towards feedback and suggestions and avoid getting too far into arguments as it's all going a bit downhill here really.

Last edited by abnegation; January 3rd, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
This Member of The Year was a good one, there were quite a few categories open for all sorts of people and there was some balance this year. Of course, as mentioned loads of times already, there will always be popularity involved within the votes, but there is nothing that can be done about that.

For those people complaining that they didn't get voted for, why are you here posting and sobbing? Instead of complaining and whatnot why don't you go out there and improve, use this as some sort of motivation to make you a better member. After all, there is nothing you can do about it now, so there is no point in arguing. If it means that much to you, do something to be on the list of winners' next year, it's always gonna be down to you as a member.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Mariah Carey's Avatar
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 wallaby way sydney
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
I know that staff discuss MOTY every year before it comes up, but may I suggest there being a public MOTY thread sometime in November for both staff and member to post on? I feel that with a thread at the starting point of MOTY, rather than just the aftermath of it, would help the people who so vehemently despise the system (plus those who just have a few queries) raise their issues before MOTY starts and then they can know exactly what's going on in regards to it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I know that staff discuss MOTY every year before it comes up, but may I suggest there being a public MOTY thread sometime in November for both staff and member to post on? I feel that with a thread at the starting point of MOTY, rather than just the aftermath of it, would help the people who so vehemently despise the system (plus those who just have a few queries) raise their issues before MOTY starts and then they can know exactly what's going on in regards to it.
That's pretty much the purpose of this thread. It's for feedback in preparation for 2013's version. I actually suggested it should be much later in the year. Do you think that a feedback and preparation thread for 2013 would have worked better closer to the date of the next annual MotY?
Reply With Quote
  #40    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
Mariah Carey's Avatar
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 wallaby way sydney
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
That's pretty much the purpose of this thread. It's for feedback in preparation for 2013's version. I actually suggested it should be much later in the year. Do you think that a feedback and preparation thread for 2013 would have worked better closer to the date of the next annual MotY?
Yes, I do think that. As long as people can remember by that point why they liked/disliked/didn't really care about MOTY, then I don't see any problem with moving the feedback thread to later on in the year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Zorua's Avatar
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Gentle
At first, I kind if ignored this thread. I don't even remember whether or not I replied here before, but I'm going to do so, now.

I kind of want to make things clearer for people, if you will. I wanted to lend Gavin a hand as far as what he meant about arguing semantics around popularity, and, I immediately thought of myself as an example, and a perfect example at that.

Some people would think that I'm "popular", I'll give them that. A good portion/majority of the forum knows my name, my username(s) stand out quite a bit, and I do my best to at least be known, whether it's greeting new users or posting in a few threads here and there through OVP. But yet, I heavily doubted I got voted for not even one category in MOTY.

But does that bother me? Not really.

You have to realize that regardless of how MOTY is done, whether it's privatizing it or whether it's making it public, people are going to play favorites regardless. I know a lot of people are really rooting for the underdog here in this thread, and find themselves to disagree with MOTY as a whole because they feel that the underdog doesn't really get recognized as much as they should. But to be fairly frank, if it really matters so much to get your name out there to members, then it should also fall within the responsibility of the member themselves to get their name out there, so to speak. To make themselves well-known, to acquaint themselves with the community, to grow friendships and relationships. A lot of winning MOTY is favoritism and luck, but that's something that people are going to have to deal with, regardless of however the categories are arranged because this is something that's psychological, and you can't really get rid of that kind of stuff easily. When it comes to nominating your "top member", I find it to be completely natural to vote for one's friends or those within a certain inner circle.

Some of you are arguing that people like Hikari10, or Forever are winning categories repeatedly, but what some of you really neglect to notice is that it really took work on their parts as well to become positively looked at around the community. I'm not really going to pull any punches here. Yes, there was a time where Hikari10 was looked at as the noob of PC. And yes, there was a time when Nica was looked at in that very same light. A lot of very "popular" members(so to speak) weren't always that way, but they put so much effort into changing around their behavior, fixing around their flaws, that they deserve to be recognized for that. Nica and Hikari made themselves known. I mean for pete's sake, I bet there hasn't been a damn thread that Nica hasn't posted in yet, her postcount is like the highest in PC, and I know that postcount itself shouldn't really accomodate for much, but you can't really ignore that she really puts herself out there. Not just modding-wise, but helping out our users the best way that she can. The same goes for Hikari. I think she joined like a year and a half ago and no one really knew who she was. It took a gargantuan amount of effort on both of their parts to get where they're at now.

I have a bit of advice for those of you, underdogs or not, who want to "win" or be noticed in MOTY: You work for it. The same way you work for modship or just about anything else, anywhere else. It's not always easy to win a position in MOTY, and it may not be easy in any meaning of the word. But that's, again, where the work on your part comes in. If you're not willing to put in the work that's required in order to be recognized by some of the community, and establish the friendships and relationships and "connections"(so to speak), then don't really expect to win anything. I don't really want to be harsh, but throughout my observation of MOTY so far, that's what I've come to notice.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. ^^; I only really want to help people, and no one should really feel down about this! I realize that some of the things I might've said might come off as cold to some extent, but I really feel that some of you are, in fact, disillusioned by what MOTY should be, but again, it won't be that way because you can't really change how people work as far as social psychology is concerned(meaning their relationships towards their close friends and the like), at least, not easily.

Last edited by Zorua; January 3rd, 2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: My wording might've sucked here and there.
Reply With Quote
  #42    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:45 PM
Hikamaru's Avatar
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky
Some of you are arguing that people like Hikari10, or Forever are winning categories repeatedly, but what some of you really neglect to notice is that it really took work on their parts as well to become positively looked at around the community. I'm not really going to pull any punches here. Yes, there was a time where Hikari10 was looked at as the noob of PC. And yes, there was a time when Nica was looked at in that very same light. A lot of very "popular" members(so to speak) weren't always that way, but they put so much effort into changing around their behavior, fixing around their flaws, that they deserve to be recognized for that. Nica and Hikari made themselves known. I mean for pete's sake, I bet there hasn't been a damn thread that Nica hasn't posted in yet, her postcount is like the highest in PC, and I know that postcount itself shouldn't really accomodate for much, but you can't really ignore that she really puts herself out there. Not just modding-wise, but helping out our users the best way that she can. The same goes for Hikari. I think she joined like a year and a half ago and no one really knew who she was. It took a gargantuan amount of effort on both of their parts to get where they're at now.

I have a bit of advice for those of you, underdogs or not, who want to "win" or be noticed in MOTY: You work for it. The same way you work for modship or just about anything else, anywhere else. It's not always easy to win a position in MOTY, and it may not be easy in any meaning of the word. But that's, again, where the work on your part comes in. If you're not willing to put in the work that's required in order to be recognized by some of the community, and establish the friendships and relationships and "connections"(so to speak), then don't really expect to win anything. I don't really want to be harsh, but throughout my observation of MOTY so far, that's what I've come to notice.
I second what Derk above me said, popular users like me and Nica were once massive noobs and then underwent that sudden personality change, becoming more helpful and putting loads of effort into the forum. Nica may have the highest postcount of anyone here and being a mod and all is one of the reasons why she's very well-known here. Come August she'll be celebrating her 3 year anniversary as a mod. I'm active here almost every day and I am quite diverse in where I post but most of my time is spent in the various Pokemon-based sections, the trivia boards, Pokemon Clubs and New Users/Welcome but I have been involving myself in various other sections as of late. The only ones I never usually post in are the creative boards and Other Clubs, and some Pokemon-based boards.

I was shocked to have gotten mentions in 2011's MOTY especially given how noobish I was back then, but thanks to motivation from staff members I eventually diversified my activity and I have even found myself helping new users, then when my supportership upgrade kicked in, it made me want to contribute more and you know, in this year's results I was a runner-up in a lot of categories (most were those which Nica won) and the votes for Favorite Female was a close one, where I beat TwilightBlade by just two votes so you can tell it was a close one. And then I got mentioned in the Pokemon Gaming Central, Black & White and Black 2 & White 2 categories, all for being helpful and answering questions.

According to Derk, getting a mention in MOTY takes almost as much work as becoming a staff member cos you need to work hard in order to have your talent recognized. Each member has at least a talent for a specific part of the forum, and if their specialized forum is in need of a mod they get modded in their appropriate section. The two runner-ups for Member of the Year (MidnightShine and GolurkIsDaBomb) only joined last year so it came as a shock for them to actually get that close to winning it.

And like Derk said, it's all down to luck, personality, activity etc. Remember that working hard to get a mention in MOTY is almost like working hard enough to become a staff member. I did enjoy the format last year, especially the different sections holding their own variant of MOTY.
__________________


Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Reply With Quote
  #43    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
We don't want to ignore anyone - everybody should feel as happy as possible about the events and competitions that we run. If you're feeling like this then chances are you're not alone, so if you can help us think of a way to resolve the issue for everyone feeling this way then that'd be more helpful than anything else. I don't feel the same about the contest as you do so any solution I could offer most likely wouldn't cover everything you're concerned about which is why we need feedback from members like you to tell us exactly what's wrong and suggest methods to fix this. So ignoring people isn't an option :)
I've been thinking about this in the back of my head the whole day, and I've decided…

I think ignoring the people who complain is the best route of action. Why am I sticking to such a suggestion? Because I am one of them who complain about these "popularity contests".

These people are certainly sensitive to the fact that they didn't win, just like I am. But see, eventually, the hate for the contest will boil down to the energy that the people use to try to win the distinguished title of Member of the Year.

And the people who don't use that energy are best left ignored, because they simply don't care enough and want food shoveled into their face the whole day. I don't think this will offend anyone, because I strongly believe that most people aren't like this, and to the ones who are - you need the wake-up call, or we can't save you.

Whether it be a life-or-death situation, or just a trivial game, everything teaches you a gigantic lesson. The lesson here is, work for the goal you want. That's the biggest message. And just look at the people who won. They worked for their goal. I will admit that. But I didn't. I just was an average joe for the majority of the year, bouncing around forum to forum and posting blah blah blah average stuff. But the winners, they put that extra mile in. They tried making everyone feel at home like they felt, and they tried making the place lively. And no better testament to that are that the two biggest winners, Forever and Hikari, tried to liven up the VIP section. (I'm not releasing any specific info, so I feel that this shouldn't be leaking.)

They worked long and hard, to make the VIP lounge a lively place, where people would be rushing in to be partying with us, crashing PayPal's servers just so they could get a piece of the action. Of course, they failed (blame the rest of us, because yeahhhh laziness is a real thing) but this is a testament to their dedication. And of course, they won the Member of the Year. Coincidence?

So my best advice is to simply ignore the haters (ie DON'T POST THIS THREAD :ccc) and let the initial anger boil down every year, because that's how things happen. Dedicated people get rewarded. That's how life works, and there's a lesson to be learned there.

okayyyy so that's what I needed to get out.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


Reply With Quote
  #44    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:13 PM
roosterman's Avatar
roosterman
Freaking annoying!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The moon
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Well, you said to…

I'm just gonna say here, the popularity contest are kinda rude tbh. I mean, I kinda already knew that Forever, Hikari, all those people, they're by no doubt popular, they deserve it, and I'm sure as hell not questioning that they're more popular than me, other people, whatever. But this is just pushing in my face "you're not cool enough" type of thing. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, but that's what it felt like.
thats pretty much how i felt, i thought i would be a shoo-in for best username but no one knows me so i didn't get a single vote. i don't remember the winners but some of them didn't make much sense.
DON'T REPLY TO THIS! i gave my 2 cents, no need to chuck them back at me.
__________________

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Reply With Quote
  #45    
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Zorua's Avatar
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
I've been thinking about this in the back of my head the whole day, and I've decided…

I think ignoring the people who complain is the best route of action. Why am I sticking to such a suggestion? Because I am one of them who complain about these "popularity contests".

These people are certainly sensitive to the fact that they didn't win, just like I am. But see, eventually, the hate for the contest will boil down to the energy that the people use to try to win the distinguished title of Member of the Year.

And the people who don't use that energy are best left ignored, because they simply don't care enough and want food shoveled into their face the whole day. I don't think this will offend anyone, because I strongly believe that most people aren't like this, and to the ones who are - you need the wake-up call, or we can't save you.

-snip-
I strongly disagree with that.

Having a thread like this is fine! It's an opportunity for members to express themselves about how the MOTY can be improved, and there wouldn't be improvements if there isn't criticism here and there. There's always going to be people that are dissatisfied with the results, that's just how things are. "Ignoring them" is kind of a harsh way to put it, but the best thing we can do for those who didn't get votes is console them and tell them they might get some next time, if they keep up their prescence!

Last edited by Zorua; January 4th, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #46    
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
I like MotY, as long as there's deserving winners. For example last year I was opposed to it, like, how I almost beat DA for best battler when all the big names were there and I had only played competitive for like four months then, while winning this time even with DA around, it makes sense given that I am one of the best here (not to sound up myself!!) And overall, this year it did make sense in terms of who won what, I think.

Partially a lot of people's issues are actually my fault. I wanted to remove a few categories I won this year just because every year I won before, and I figured there were more deserving winners, but I didn't remove them because I figured people would take note of that. One of the issues is that people do vote for popular people, that's true, but I do disagree with me being the most likely to refresh PC for example. Unless I want something from someone I barely refresh it much, and when it's down I just forget about it and do something battling-related. And most PC spirited... last year maybe but I really think that should've gone to Hikari this year, while for optimistic I dunno, for those who talk to me I'm not always the most optimistic lmao. Then there's the specific categories, for statistics. Honestly I just added in stuff to fill up space so the ballot looked neater. The only one with an obvious winner was the Whitney Houston one, but that was 2012 in review, and she did in fact pass away. I even wanted something related to Gangnam Style but it was decided not to be included because it'd relate to specific users possibly, so that kind of stuff at not being geared to specific people does actually go on, and overall I tried to make it as loose as possible, without distinct winners being obvious. However the flaw with that was that there were less votes for the categories without "distinct" winners, being the random stuff in Statistics. However, while I like MotY in a way of seeing how people feel about you/where they think you fit each year, or if they come to your mind, the actual awards part isn't necessary for recognition. Within we all know how good we are at certain things, and if we have confidence within then we can win in our lives, and not necessarily in MotY. I guess it's like, I don't need to be told what I'm skilled at when ou already know within and the recognition is being able to do it in the first place. Same for taking it seriously I guess, if you're paired with someone you love and you don't win favourite pairing, then don't take it so seriously because you know that in your heart you're truly happy with who you're with and the people voting in MotY can never see it all. Much like personalities too, such as most talkative here could be really shy IRL, but we'll never know the full picture, unless you do meet them, go into your minds. MotY is good I guess though for what people see on the outside of you, and how it can be improved/better. If you don't win a certain thing just think about why you did/didn't win it rather than complain. If you haven't flown to the moon yet, it's your own doing, rather than everyone else's.... not really sure that was relevant but I felt motivational.

Nevertheless! I did take MotY too seriously but what matters more is having enough confidence in yourself to know that you're still awesome without it being told to you in a popularity contest on a Pokemon forum. idk. I had more then I got distracted with hangman.

Also section-specific is a good idea but people are lazy which is not good. Maybe we should just reduce it to the sections with enough activity to sustain a section-specific MotY??
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47    
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:08 AM
curiousnathan's Avatar
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
I also feel people need to realise that there will always be people who will miss out. (Whether by a few votes, or aren't mentioned at all). I understand it can be a little disappointing not to win a category, but people need to accustom themselves to the fact, that at the end of the day, somebody will cop the bad end of the stick; and there's nothing that can be done to change that.

Quote:
Also section-specific is a good idea but people are lazy which is not good. Maybe we should just reduce it to the sections with enough activity to sustain a section-specific MotY??
But that wouldn't be fair for those sections who juuust don't make the cut. Who says there isn't a future Member Of the Year in some of the most inactive sections of the forum?
__________________
moderator | lovely pair | PC live
Reply With Quote
  #48    
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Kura's Avatar
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Waaahhh my post didnt send.. :c ok lemme try this again.

First of all, i forget who mentioned it originally (so very sorry) but i do like the idea of private votes. I was thinking maybe we can do both but like have the posts in the thread be able to be amended up till the closing date but pmed votes cant be amended. This will help avoid confusion. Also it will help with members who may be deterred from honestly voting and may also help those not feel as bad because they mightve been mentioned privately too! Also my apologies for the typos i typed up smething more eloquent from my phone earlier and the signal died and its a pain to correct stuff on the browser sorry!!!

But what do you all think about combining public thread and private pmed voting?
__________________
~Yuugiou Fan~
~Kamen Rider Fan~
♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆

Last edited by Kura; January 4th, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #49    
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Major Ziggs's Avatar
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
But what do you all think about combining public thread and private pmed voting?
If there was a reliable way to combine the two then I'd be completely in favour of this, unfortunately I just can't see it working in a way that'd keep everyone happy. There'd be the main issue of who is collecting the votes to ensure everyone is happy that they're trustworthy, how we can be sure the results are valid, having that one person count every single vote on their own (even harder when they're all in separate PMs), etc... On paper I'm definitely for the idea of private voting or attempting to combine the two, but in practice I just don't really see it working. But it's certainly worth discussing since I'd love to see something like this happen if we could come up with a suitable way of doing it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50    
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Kura's Avatar
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Imo higher staff is reliable. I also dont think our supermods would skew votes. I mean.. they are higher staff and appointed this for a reason. If we cant trust all of them for something as simle as copypasting a pm into a thread in a staff lounge to be tallied by staff then how would mrmber think abiut staff runningth forums? i doubt they wouldve been appointed as staff to help run the forums as it stands if thry couldn't be trusted right? . I trust them, and maybe ppl can pm the onrs they trust most,bubut if they are not trusted then vote publicly or dont vote at all.

Just my thoughts. Again sorry for typos. Sorry if this comes off bluntly..hard to type on here.
__________________
~Yuugiou Fan~
~Kamen Rider Fan~
♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.