The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Hoenn Remake 139 92.67%
Kanto Remake 11 7.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
vapes
Togepi

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Actually its from Lillycove to Mossdeep which is 6th to 7th Gyms, then major story point that usually leaves you in the water routes for an obscenely long time, then after you finish that you earn the 8th badge and go through more water route travel up until you get to Evergrand. After E4 you still have to go through the water routes to reach the hidden legends if in RS (the underwater ruins to unlock the Regi and near pacifilodge to get rayquaza).

Hoenn is about half water and half land. Which is what annoys a lot of people.

You also have the large gap between Petalburg and Dewford and then again from Dewford to Slateport. Almost all the extra exploration areas on on the water routes as well.
Lillycove to Mosdeep is just one straight surf to the right. It isn't until after defeating Tate and Liza that you have to surf a lot to do things for the story, which is between the 7th and 8th gym. And it's not that bad. I mean what's the difference between surfing on water and running on grass? You're still fighting trainers, encountering wild Pokemon (albeit they're all water types), and still able to use repels.

Although yes, post-game exploration may amount to more surfing, but the main game itself doesn't have too much.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapes View Post
Lillycove to Mosdeep is just one straight surf to the right. It isn't until after defeating Tate and Liza that you have to surf a lot to do things for the story, which is between the 7th and 8th gym. And it's not that bad. I mean what's the difference between surfing on water and running on grass? You're still fighting trainers, encountering wild Pokemon (albeit they're all water types), and still able to use repels.

Although yes, post-game exploration may amount to more surfing, but the main game itself doesn't have too much.
I don't honestly know what's with the water route hate myself XD

I love Water types so all the water routes were amazing for me. I'm just pointing out you spend about half the game on land and half in water. Which was the entire point of the game anyway cause of Aqua/Magma thing.

I want Kanto remakes again simply because both are equally outdated games and overall Hoenn wasn't that great to me so I'd rather play a region I liked.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
vapes
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
I don't honestly know what's with the water route hate myself XD

I love Water types so all the water routes were amazing for me. I'm just pointing out you spend about half the game on land and half in water. Which was the entire point of the game anyway cause of Aqua/Magma thing.

I want Kanto remakes again simply because both are equally outdated games and overall Hoenn wasn't that great to me so I'd rather play a region I liked.
Oh yes I know what you were saying. I just never got why people didn't like it much myself, and just felt like addressing it.
To me Hoenn wasn't that great either, but I'm hoping the remake uses the 3Ds features to make the experience better.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I'd love to have both, but a Hoenn remake would make me a very happy Vapor. I have so much nostalgia for the games, in fact I'm playing Emerald as I type :P

In fact I know what my team would be. Partly a throwback to my original Ruby team:
Gorebyss
Blaziken
Cacturne
Gardevoir
Salamence
?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
FlameChocobo
Warrior of Hoenn

Hoenn for 3 reasons.

1. Kanto is almost every generation.
2. Hoenn is left alone so it doesn't make the games suck because of the nerfs. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Hoenn. I love Hoenn, but that's actually a good thing Game Freak didn't use it outside of R/S/E because Kanto as a second region made G/S/C my (second to if it has to be the version of the region I live in) least favorite. Sure it got fixed in the remakes such as HG and SS, but I digress. If you're gonna have a second region, then make it good. Otherwise, just stick with only one region.
3. R/S/E (Yes I'm always gushing about it) is my absolute favorite of the series.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:14 PM
Xeninacra
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
I don't like considering Emerald as a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, though most people do. What I call a remake is what they did with Fire Red and Leaf Green. We couldn't call Emerald a sequel either because there are minor changes, which basically make Emerald like the third version which came out a bit later than R&S.

Having this in mind, if we've already had a remake of the old Green/Red games (and we have too of Gold/Silver), I'd totally prefer a remake of the Gen III.

Besides, though indirectly, we've had kind of a "second remake" of Kanto in HG/SS... So please, no more Kanto, let's give Hoenn a try.

Allez, hop!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Skylands

Nature: Calm
Hoenn remakes first, please. I love the region itself over any other, it's so beautiful.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:17 PM
bowlda
Unhatched Egg

Wow this is a hard choice to make. Hoenn would be the optimal choice though. It's about time it's had its remake. As much as I love and have grown up with Kanto, it's received a little too much love, haha.

I'm just starting this egg thing, can you help me out by clicking them? :D ill try to click back
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:25 PM
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
Personally, I don't think we need to remake any game of the Advanced Generation (Kanto or Hoenn).

Hell, the reason why Gen 1 was remade in the first place is because the creators needed to find a way to get the remaining Pokemon from Kanto and Johto to complete the National Dex for Hoenn as the GBA couldn't link with the older GameBoy systems.

The main reason why Gen 2 was remade for the DS is for exactly the some thing. The DSi and all systems after couldn't link with the GBA games and the creators needed to find a way for players to complete the National Dex.

Gen 5 doesn't have this problem as you can freely link up with the Gen 4 DS games.

Also, the first two Generations were remade because the GB and GBC cartridges were glitched and the saved game data was corrupted over a period of time. Without those remakes, fans would not have been able to revisit those regions. As I understand it, the GBA games don't suffer this effect so anybody who misses the Hoenn region could just fire up their GBA and relive their adventures there.

That said, if I had to choose it's a no brainer. I'm a Kanto boy at heart.

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:09 AM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Thank you, RoreyG, I feel less lonely now . I wanted to say the exact same thing in my post, (this, and the fact that since both RBY and RSE are at the very beginning of the games' timeline, in either case their remakes would either require a second reboot or completely screw up the series' timeline; this is why I insisted on wanting a Hoenn sequel and not remake) , but was afraid it would be off-topic.
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoreyG View Post
Personally, I don't think we need to remake any game of the Advanced Generation (Kanto or Hoenn).

Hell, the reason why Gen 1 was remade in the first place is because the creators needed to find a way to get the remaining Pokemon from Kanto and Johto to complete the National Dex for Hoenn as the GBA couldn't link with the older GameBoy systems.

The main reason why Gen 2 was remade for the DS is for exactly the some thing. The DSi and all systems after couldn't link with the GBA games and the creators needed to find a way for players to complete the National Dex.

Gen 5 doesn't have this problem as you can freely link up with the Gen 4 DS games.

Also, the first two Generations were remade because the GB and GBC cartridges were glitched and the saved game data was corrupted over a period of time. Without those remakes, fans would not have been able to revisit those regions. As I understand it, the GBA games don't suffer this effect so anybody who misses the Hoenn region could just fire up their GBA and relive their adventures there.

That said, if I had to choose it's a no brainer. I'm a Kanto boy at heart.
Fully agree!

Also, you can have all of the Hoenn legendaries in 5th gen via Pal Park + transfer, Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza are available in HGSS, the Regis can be transferred from Platinum or caught in BW2, the Lati@s can be caught in HGSS... There's no sensible reason for Hoenn remakes other than shiny graphics.

I'd be much happier if the next game was already 6th gen... And a new adventure in Kanto (not a remake), with a proper story, would be much cooler as well.

People go crazy about Hoenn but it's Kanto who had the short end of the stick... Most featured region, yes, but I thought FRLG weren't all that good of a remake, and Kanto is just an adjacent region in HGSS... A brand new adventure in Kanto, set years after 1st gen, with an interesting story, would be great fun.

Not sure if a Hoenn remake is feasible as well, since it can't be on the DS... There has never been three main Pokémon games in the same console before... Only way for Hoenn to be remade would be on the 3DS.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Cerberus87; January 5th, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:47 AM
bwburke94
NEW RUN STARTS AUGUST 1! 000/721

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
Not sure if a Hoenn remake is feasible as well, since it can't be on the DS... There has never been three main Pokémon games in the same console before... Only way for Hoenn to be remade would be on the 3DS.
Dafuq? Gen I (in Japan) had R/G, Blue, and Yellow. And you're using the past as precedent. We never had a new storyline that wasn't a new generation before Gen V.

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5804-7602

I'm just a little crazy sometimes.
OK, a lot crazy all the time.

My romhacks and Essentials games are on hold until Essentials is updated.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:42 AM
The Amazing Justin
The Original Player

I'll never stop loving Kanto. It was mine and probably most of everybody else's first region and the only one for years.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Eпvy
Winds ღ

Of course, I'd love to see Kanto remade in 3D (X/Y style, or an even better one), but it's time for Hoenn to be remade. I've always been down on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, but Hoenn was an interesting region.

I suppose another Kanto remake can wait until the Pokemon series has moved to completely 3D environments. Which by that I mean landscapes designed like they're for a 3D world and not for a 2D world. Like when we move towards Ocarina of Time, away from Phantom Hourglass speaking in terms of Zelda. It'd be interesting to see Kanto reimagined in a 3D format.
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Jin Of The Gale
King of the Gales

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Jin Of The Gale
I honestly think they should do a Hoenn remake as we've got enough games with the Kanto region. Emerald is my favourite game and I spent a lot of hours on it. Even if they do make one, I'd love it if they use the Gen 3 game mechanics instead of Gen 5.

✝REST IN PEACE✝
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:12 AM
King_21
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Brave
Horn because the remake of Kanto was already made and got released after ruby and sapphire

Old January 9th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Lukar115
Blue/Red Dragon/Wolf Thing

Nature: Quiet
I'd rather go for Hoenn. As much as I love Kanto, not only has it been featured in two remakes thus far, but the second remake is still fairly recent and available. Meanwhile, Hoenn's been restricted to R/S/E.
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:12 AM
DLMuerte
Mercenary Chief

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to DLMuerte
I'd like to see Hoenn first, definitely. But what I would do is make the Sevii Islands along with it, as if to acknowledge the existence of FRLG, and to give it more places to go.

Or maybe they could do both at the same time, in one DS card, with the power of the 3DS right now. That would be awesome!

Yamagi Sosuke: I could get naked again
Sephear: no
Yamagi Sosuke: I think that would work swell

YA | GH | S: WoF | SAO: S
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:13 AM
UnlethalMango
[Insert Witty Title Here]

Nature: Lax
Definitely Hoenn... basically just add up everyone else's reason and you get my reason.
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
Blue_Mystic_Ranger
Master of Time and Space

Nature: Quiet
As much as I would love to see Kanto on the 3DS, I have to concede that Hoenn deserves a remake more. Kanto has been in every generation so far except for the fifth, while Hoenn is stuck on the GBA. Of course, after they remake Hoenn, I'd love for them to do Kanto.
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:33 PM
KungFuPurp
Unhatched Egg

Hoenn for sure i don't really think another Kanto re-make would be very popular to the fans.

Hoenn is the one that needs to get more of a spotlight
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:15 PM
pokemanmdj
Random Passerby

Nature: Relaxed
Though I like Kanto, Hoenn does deserve the chance to shine again.

I could just imagine it- prettier graphics, perhaps newer areas to explore and more stuff to do after the story's done! Hoenn's not my favourite region, but it could become much more better with some additions other than more water.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
GenuineCorruption
Unhatched Egg

Canto remake... seems a little redundant as being a remake of a remake. I wouldn't play it myself.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Rou.Tsuki
It's happy hour somewhere...

Nature: Quirky
I agree Hoenn could use some loving more than Kanto.
My
Vivillon Pattern: High Plains
Friend Safari: POISON - Whirlipede, Kakuna
, and Garbodor
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:17 AM
piefara
human

with the guy who said emarald indstead of r/s emagine the kyogre vs groudon fight scene give it a 3D battle scene like kyrem vs the b/w mascots in black 2 and white 2 and then raquasa flies in and they flee in terror.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links