The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:01 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Nature: Quirky
While the Grimm Fairy Tales had their dark moments, they still retain their light-hearted atmosphere for children. I've also heard a lot of negative feedback about Snow White & the Huntsman on Youtube, and they even released an extended edition on DVD, which means it wasn't all that good as the producers hoped.

Credit goes to anon from JoyReactor.com for the sig he posted
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Nature: Impish
Well, they do have some messed up stories to begin with.

I remember our German teacher told us a Grimm Brother's tale, where the kid does something bad, and the other kid dies, the mom, who's giving a bath to another kid, goes to try to save the dying kid who's dead when she gets there, and then while she's gone the kid taking the bath has drowned, and then she goes to the neighbors for help or something, and when she comes back the original kid had a freak accident, and so out of shame she hangs herself.

Not exactly PG I must say.

could you ····ing not
·
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Esper

The Grimm tales were a bit cleaned up from their originals which were, well, grimmer, but they were still kinda dark and gruesome.

The problem with SW&tH was Kristen Stewart. Granted, the movie played to her strengths of not talking and looking pretty by giving her only a handful of lines and lots of scenes where she just looks at things, but I thought the rest of the movie was fine, and Charlize Theron did scary-evil really well.

I think people were expecting an action movie when it was really more of a dark fantasy.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Mirror Mirror > all of the other Snow White revisionist films of last year. Including the Spanish black-and-white one. But I think I'm in the minority in this opinion...
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
The Sly Fox

I admit that I wanted to see Snow White and the Huntsman, but Kristin Stewart kind of persuaded me otherwise. I mean, she doesn't really seem like she fits in with that type of film. Shes no Snow White.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:15 PM
Solace
simon ferocious

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Solace
Snow White & the Huntsman was a fantastic movie! Actors and actresses aside, it was a really nice film overall. The characters, the story, and the setting were all so marvelous you could probably put personal regards for the people playing the parts aside long enough to enjoy watching the movie. Even at that, Kirsten Stewart played her part wonderfully. It's definitely worth a go!

As for a movie I want to see - Taken 2. I recently watched Taken on TV (TBS, if I recall) and it was much better than I thought it was going to be when it was released (what, two years ago?). At that time it didn't appeal to me whatsoever, as it was somewhat of an imitation of all the movies that were being released at that time anyway, but it was surprisingly very nice. Taken 2 should be better, so I'll pick it up sometime, hopefully. Anyone else seen it?

EDIT: Mirror > Mirror... I haven't seen it. It's good, you think, Mr Cat Dog?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Not to mention her dull performance in the Twilight movies, which is understandable. I also thought Mirror, Mirror got panned by critics for its light-hearted appearance, which brings irony to how Snow White & the Huntsman got panned for messing with the Snow White formula.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM
Solace
simon ferocious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Not to mention her dull performance in the Twilight movies, which is understandable. I also thought Mirror, Mirror got panned by critics for its light-hearted appearance, which brings irony to how Snow White & the Huntsman got panned for messing with the Snow White formula.
I'm not sure that Snow White really has a 'formula,' and a change of pace, even in a classic, is refreshing all the same. If the exact same story was told the exact same way with the exact same mood prevalent in all, what kind of profit would it really garner? I think the only thing formulaic that has been preserved (and very well should be) are the themes of true love overcoming all and evil always been trumped, the heart's desires, etc.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
I'm not sure that Snow White really has a 'formula,' and a change of pace, even in a classic, is refreshing all the same. If the exact same story was told the exact same way with the exact same mood prevalent in all, what kind of profit would it really garner? I think the only thing formulaic that has been preserved (and very well should be) are the themes of true love overcoming all and evil always been trumped, the heart's desires, etc.
Well I was referring to its light-hearted mood it gained in the later years in media entertainment since its original dark and gritty story.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:53 AM
The Sly Fox

Not sure why everyone wants to make a movie around Snow White nowadays xD

Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:11 AM
Solace
simon ferocious

I think Huntsman was apart of the many fairy tale/classics remakes, much like Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters and... what was it, Jack the Giant Slayer? As for Mirror > Mirror...
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:30 AM
The Sly Fox

Oh man. Hansel and Gretel. That new movie looks awful.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:46 AM
Solace
simon ferocious

It does, and I don't normally say outright that a movie looks 'awful,' but this looks awful. Sometimes I wonder about the future of film and if said future is as bleak as I imagine it is.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
The Sly Fox

Movies now tend to be remakes or horrible prequels/sequels, I feel like they are running out of ideas for new films which is a shame.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
Movies now tend to be remakes or horrible prequels/sequels, I feel like they are running out of ideas for new films which is a shame.
Thank you for providing me an example of people demanding pure original blockbuster films and no more movies based on books/comics/TV shows/games/plays and remakes/sequels/reboots.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Thank you for providing me an example of people demanding pure original blockbuster films and no more movies based on books/comics/TV shows/games/plays and remakes/sequels/reboots.
My dear girl, most films and certainly some of the best films of last year are adaptions of books, plays and comics. If Hollywood were to stop making movies based on books then they'd be lost!

Quote:
As for a movie I want to see - Taken 2. I recently watched Taken on TV (TBS, if I recall) and it was much better than I thought it was going to be when it was released (what, two years ago?).
I'll spare you the effort and say that Taken 2 is not a movie you really want to see. It's almost a remake of the original Taken, the plot is so similar. Though that's not really my grievance with it, if it's not broken, then don't fix it, yes? My problem with it is that the performances by the cast left something...missing, it looked tired. Neeson actually looked more youthful as the film went on, don't ask me how, but yeah, the film was lacking. Save yourself the energy and watch Die Hard instead.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
My dear girl, most films and certainly some of the best films of last year are adaptions of books, plays and comics. If Hollywood were to stop making movies based on books then they'd be lost!
I know right? But that doesn't stop these vocal audience to ask Hollywood to stop and make only pure original movies.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:53 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Quote:
I know right? But that doesn't stop these vocal audience to ask Hollywood to stop and make only pure original movies.
And dare I ask where you're going to find an executive or a film studio who will actually listen to these demands? Original films are risks, darling, they're always going to prefer films that are more likely to bring in the cash: movies based on books and plays and whatever.

Besides, it all comes down to your definition of 'original'. Nothing is truly original in the 21st century.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Solace
simon ferocious

Quote:
I'll spare you the effort and say that Taken 2 is not a movie you really want to see. It's almost a remake of the original Taken, the plot is so similar. Though that's not really my grievance with it, if it's not broken, then don't fix it, yes? My problem with it is that the performances by the cast left something...missing, it looked tired. Neeson actually looked more youthful as the film went on, don't ask me how, but yeah, the film was lacking. Save yourself the energy and watch Die Hard instead.
Well that's a disappointment.

Speaking of Die Hard, I've been reading up on A Good Day to Die Hard, the newest installment in the series set to be released February 14th, and while it seems like it'll be a somewhat refreshing addition to the series, when was the last time there was not a terrorist plot or something similar set in Russia? Something inside me wishes that focus would be shifted to another part of the world, perhaps somewhere that isn't completely predictable. But I guess that would take effort. Nevertheless, I'm considering going to see it when it comes out.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Quote:
Speaking of Die Hard, I've been reading up on A Good Day to Die Hard, the newest installment in the series set to be released February 14th, and while it seems like it'll be a somewhat refreshing addition to the series, when was the last time there was not a terrorist plot or something similar set in Russia? Something inside me wishes that focus would be shifted to another part of the world, perhaps somewhere that isn't completely predictable. But I guess that would take effort. Nevertheless, I'm considering going to see it when it comes out.
I'm totally going to see it when it comes out, if only because the Die Hard is a franchise which is very close to my heart. If not completely wrapped around my heart, that is.
Well, think about it this way. Aside from the Russians, which other nationality of people is most frequently used by Hollywood as the baddies in action movies? Yah, ze Germans! The residents of Deutschland! The Germans have already been taken down in two other Die Hard films, so they can't possibly do them again. I would like to see him take on the Chinese, Mr McClane in the land of the dragons would certainly be an interesting experience.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Quote:
Besides, it all comes down to your definition of 'original'. Nothing is truly original in the 21st century.
"Original" as in a movie that isn't based off of a book/comic/TV show/game/play nor a remake/reboot/sequel of an already-existing film. Examples of it are Star Wars, Inception, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Quote:
Well, think about it this way. Aside from the Russians, which other nationality of people is most frequently used by Hollywood as the baddies in action movies? Yah, ze Germans! The residents of Deutschland! The Germans have already been taken down in two other Die Hard films, so they can't possibly do them again. I would like to see him take on the Chinese, Mr McClane in the land of the dragons would certainly be an interesting experience.
What about Britain and the Middle East? Americans have fought them in their history too, so wouldn't they be used as enemies for action films?

Old January 4th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Solace
simon ferocious

Quote:
What about Britain and the Middle East? Americans have fought them in their history too, so wouldn't they be used as enemies for action films?
There are already a fair few examples of movies that exploit the British as enemies, such as The Patriot and Jumpin' Jack Flash. While there are also examples of movies with Chinese involvement, they are very few and far between, so another installment with such seems more appropriate in the long run.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Quote:
"Original" as in a movie that isn't based off of a book/comic/TV show/game/play nor a remake/reboot/sequel of an already-existing film. Examples of it are Star Wars, Inception, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.
Technically they are actually rebooting the Star Wars series with another installment, so I guess its no longer original by that standard.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old January 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Solace
simon ferocious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
Technically they are actually rebooting the Star Wars series with another installment, so I guess its no longer original by that standard.
It's being rebooted with another installment, not a remake. Even if it was being 'remade,' that remake would be dubbed unoriginal/not unique rather than the original six movies. So in essence even after the new movie is released the series will still be 'original.'
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

I feel bad for George Lucas :( He looks so dead inside :(

Sponsored Links