The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1001    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:15 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I never got the impression there was ever any negativity in this discussion.

It seemed perfectly civil to me.


By the way, my goals in life?

- Getting out of college with a degree
- Getting a good biology job (hopefully in marine bio, thought I don't suppose I'd mind others)
- Visiting a few more foreign countries before I keel over and turn into maggot food.
- Lose my virginity before I keel over and turn into maggot food
- Get my own house before I keel over and turn into maggot food
- Turn at least 85 before keeling over and turning into maggot food
- Keep being awesome.
__________________
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
  #1002    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
I never got the impression there was ever any negativity in this discussion.

It seemed perfectly civil to me.


By the way, my goals in life?

- Getting out of college with a degree
- Getting a good biology job (hopefully in marine bio, thought I don't suppose I'd mind others)
- Visiting a few more foreign countries before I keel over and turn into maggot food.
My auto-correct removed the "out", that was a typo ^///^

Biology sounds incredibly interesting!
Why are you interested in Marine Biology?
__________________
  #1003    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:19 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗'s Avatar
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon Jeremiah View Post
I'm sorry, I've been fanning this.
I love a friendly discussion & the people here seem very open to debate without negativity.
If you'd like me to stop, I will.
Wait, what?
I meant that I was wary of saying the wrong thing and causing a fight. Not because of what other people are saying. (:

I also just don't have much to throw into the discussion, either. Which is why I'm just kind of watching.
__________________
I am in the process of leaving PC and IRC channels associated with it.
If you wish to contact me, this is my channel:
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.systemnet.info&channel=%23SableyeCorner
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
  #1004    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Sharks fascinated me when I was in middle school. I decided to study marine biology in college, but since that was pretty narrow for the job market, I've broadened myself to general biology.
__________________
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
  #1005    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
Wait, what?
I meant that I was wary of saying the wrong thing and causing a fight. Not because of what other people are saying. (:

I also just don't have much to throw into the discussion, either. Which is why I'm just kind of watching.
Well alright than .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
Sharks fascinated me when I was in middle school. I decided to study marine biology in college, but since that was pretty narrow for the job market, I've broadened myself to general biology.
What particular aspects of biology fascinate you?
Is it the advancing idea of red-blood cells with self-contained Mitochondria? :D
__________________
  #1006    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:28 PM
outfox's Avatar
outfox
in
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon Jeremiah View Post
I remember the first time I read it actually.
My grandpapa had a deal with me; if I read it through entirely in Sanskrit (Hindu along with German are my native tongues), & translated it into English "somewhat accurately", he would take me to visit our relatives every other weekend in Toronto.
It was absolutely worth it; I love the entire book.

Specifically Ch. 4 - verse 33;
The sacrifice of knowledge, O Parantapa, is greater than any material sacrifice. Knowledge is that in which all this action culminates (not any lower knowledge, but the highest self-knowledge & God-knowledge), O Partha!

Why thank you :D !
Mathematics are rather fantastic, but... I believe a career as a Linguist would be superior.
It's as comparing Noam Chomsky & Leslie Groves.
:o How exciting. Did you meet your end of the deal?
Me too, man. I read it more than I read my Bible >__> shh don't tell God.

I love the Gita philosophy on actions. Ooh, ooh, have you ever read The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran?

I'm sure you'd be successful in both fields. We can all do anything we want! I just didn't want to comprehend the Reimann Hypothesis. That's what I tell myself.

I hate to miss all these other posts but replying in edits never seems to work out.
__________________
  #1007    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:29 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon Jeremiah View Post
What particular aspects of biology fascinate you?
Is it the advancing idea of red-blood cells with self-contained Mitochondria? :D
No, but that does sound interesting. I want to talk with my cellular biology professor about that now. XD

Aside from marine biology, evolution has fascinated me. Once applied, it amazed me how much natural selection explained how species can have their allele frequencies change either through natural or artificial means based on their environment or through beneficial mutation. I have Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species, but I've yet to finish reading the entire thing. I need to get on that, but I'm reading Lord of the Rings at the moment. XD

Also, once I was able to get the basics of a Punnett square for a 2+ trait cross, Mendelian genetics became interesting as well.
__________________
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
  #1008    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by outfox View Post
:o How exciting. Did you meet your end of the deal?
Me too, man. I read it more than I read my Bible >__> shh don't tell God.

I love the Gita philosophy on actions. Ooh, ooh, have you ever read The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran?

I'm sure you'd be successful in both fields. We can all do anything we want! I just didn't want to comprehend the Reimann Hypothesis. That's what I tell myself.

I hate to miss all these other posts but replying in edits never seems to work out.
Why yes I did, Grandpapa Kashe & I visited relatives eventually every-weekend, for the 2 years he lived here :D .

Oh it wouldn't be a problem; why Buddhism itself is fully compatible with Christianity.
Hinduism is just as compatible, it's simply a naming issue, haha.

Oh I love the Prophet;

“And a woman spoke, saying, "Tell us of Pain."
And he said: Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.
And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy;
And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.
And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief.
Much of your pain is self-chosen.
It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity:
For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,
And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the
Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears.”


'Tis the beauty of the modern world, so many avenues are open.
You simply must possess the aptitude &/or desire :D .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
No, but that does sound interesting. I want to talk with my cellular biology professor about that now. XD

Aside from marine biology, evolution has fascinated me. Once applied, it amazed me how much natural selection explained how species can have their allele frequencies change either through natural or artificial means based on their environment or through beneficial mutation. I have Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species, but I've yet to finish reading the entire thing. I need to get on that, but I'm reading Lord of the Rings at the moment. XD

Also, once I was able to get the basics of a Punnett square for a 2+ trait cross, Mendelian genetics became interesting as well.
It is the idea that with genetic tampering, red-blood cells can contain their own Mitochondria.
If so, it would be literal regenerative properties within biological organisms!

... Lord of the Rings takes precedence.
Don't let anyone tell you different !

Ahhhh~
Mendelian Genetics!
We could talk for years about that! :D
__________________

Last edited by Gideon Jeremiah; January 4th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
  #1009    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:45 PM
outfox's Avatar
outfox
in
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
UGH my post deleted itself entirely. Grumble grumble.

That's so cool, Gideon! I wish I had Hindu relatives. Born and raised by and around Southern Baptists. May I ask what your real name is, Gideon? Too late, I already did. You don't have to answer, though. I'm just being nosy.

God moves in passion, God rests in reason. One of my favorite lines. I can't decide which prophecy I prefer over the others. Pain is a great one. Religion, too. "And the old priest said: 'Speak to us of Religion.' And he said: 'Have I spoken this day of aught else?'"
__________________
  #1010    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by outfox View Post
UGH my post deleted itself entirely. Grumble grumble.

That's so cool, Gideon! I wish I had Hindu relatives. Born and raised by and around Southern Baptists. May I ask what your real name is, Gideon? Too late, I already did. You don't have to answer, though. I'm just being nosy.

God moves in passion, God rests in reason. One of my favorite lines. I can't decide which prophecy I prefer over the others. Pain is a great one. Religion, too. "And the old priest said: 'Speak to us of Religion.' And he said: 'Have I spoken this day of aught else?'"
Gideon Emmanuel Jeremiah .
Be as nosy as you like, I have a pretty plain life; nothing to hide.

I have a bit of an "odd", philosophy on life.
I imagine you'd call me crazy for sharing it xD
__________________
  #1011    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:52 PM
outfox's Avatar
outfox
in
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
Oh, nice! Such a good name I thought you'd invented it :D

Please, do share :o
__________________
  #1012    
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by outfox View Post
Oh, nice! Such a good name I thought you'd invented it :D

Please, do share :o
Oh no, it's the work of my adoptive mother.

Er...
Alright, it's a bit "ridiculous".
I'll share it in VM's .
__________________
  #1013    
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:06 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
My username is an amalgamation of the Norse God ODIN and the genus for the Great White Shark.

Fits my avi to a tee.
__________________
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
  #1014    
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
My username is an amalgamation of the Norse God ODIN and the genus for the Great White Shark.

Fits my avi to a tee.
Oh!
Are you a fan of Norse Mythology as well!? :D
__________________
  #1015    
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I found vikings cool to some degree, but I never studied Norse mythology that much. Though I did read some snippets of the Prose Edda and found it interesting. Unfortunately, I procrastinate on a lot of things, especially reading and I had to return it to the library.
__________________
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
  #1016    
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
I found vikings cool to some degree, but I never studied Norse mythology that much. Though I did read some snippets of the Prose Edda and found it interesting. Unfortunately, I procrastinate on a lot of things, especially reading and I had to return it to the library.
Hmm... what are you reading (or planning to), aside from LoTR right now?
__________________
  #1017    
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:27 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon Jeremiah View Post
Hmm... what are you reading (or planning to), aside from LoTR right now?
My marine biology textbook and Fight Club.
__________________
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
  #1018    
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
My marine biology textbook and Fight Club.
Fight Club?
How is that so far?
__________________
  #1019    
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:01 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon Jeremiah View Post
Fight Club?
How is that so far?
I've actually already finished it a while ago. Great book.

I want to read it again. Have you ever read it?
__________________
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
  #1020    
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Ausaudriel's Avatar
Ausaudriel
lieutenant commander
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Frozen North
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Fight Club is one of Palahniuk's best (and obviously his most well-known), but if you really want a gem you should pick up Invisible Monsters or the remixed version by him. They're absolutely breathtaking. 8)
__________________
x paired with sylphiel x
x I am a magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment x
  #1021    
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
I've actually already finished it a while ago. Great book.

I want to read it again. Have you ever read it?
I have not, but I am going to put it on my "weekend" list.
I already have about 8 gems lined up for the weekend, but what's 1800+ pages between a nice cup of tea & a purple snuggie? :D
__________________
  #1022    
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:01 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Chuck Palahniuk can be a very...interesting writer.

Here's the first short story of Haunted:

This is a link. That is all.

Kids, don't try these at home!
Spoiler:
Stick to tissue paper.


Okay, I should probably stop. Kids visit this site, after all...I think.
__________________
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.

Last edited by CarcharOdin; January 4th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
  #1023    
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:08 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
I can't believe somebody like *****d me on Facebook. I went logical on his ass, and he got angry. Dumb people are hard to understand.

anyways on topic

Books? I only liked the AP Biology textbook. Everything else is too mundane for me. I don't know why, but unless it's a real fact, I can't read it.

And also, I love Norse mythology and how there were trolls before the Gods, and the Gods are annoying. It's just like Swedish people predicted the Internet wayyyyyyy before everyone else :p
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


  #1024    
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Ya I have a very hard time reading fiction to be honest... and it's more a problem of starting to read the fiction. I find myself really hard to be motivated to read something cause I don't know if it sounds "good" enough for reading. Unless someone personally recommend something to me... and I can't really get on my computer, I generally don't do much reading anymore =(

what happened on facebook there droomph? =(
  #1025    
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Guillermo's Avatar
Guillermo
i own a rabbit heh
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Age: 20
On the topic of books, can someone explain to me the logic of school/college/university textbooks? I mean, they could be about maths, physics, chemistry or whatever else there is.. and the picture on the front will be a dude surfing. Apparently nothing says "E = mc2" like a guy surfing.
__________________
credittoDukey
one life, one chance


| | le deux | | so-so-soulful
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.