The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Old December 8th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

The thing about modern gaming is that the developers can simply update the game after they've released it, which they have done.. So it's allowed to be a little raw. Plus, the company saves a load of money releasing it early and updating it later, rather than spending an entirely extra year just to fine-tune it. As Pave Low said, glitches can give the game a nice touch :-)

By the way, isn't the low FPS on the PS3 due to Skyrim being such a massive game?
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Chaval
My impediment is no hindrance.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaval
Final Fantasy 8 for me. But I love ALL Final Fantasy(ies?)!!
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Praisedscooter
Gym Leader wannabe

Nature: Timid
Favorite RPG? That's gotta be Bowser's Inside Story. So many twists and turns, and that cartoony humor just hit it home. Plus the final boss fight theme is nothing to laugh at.

That's pretty much it, I have more links for myself on my Youtube page!
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Going to swing it back to the asia side of things and put in another vote for Persona series~ Not as mainstream as some other jrpg titles, but it's certainly gaining momentum and popularity. Those who liked other jrpgs should definitely give them a try!
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:29 AM
chakalaka25
Unhatched Egg

maple story or diablo or wow
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
All of the Mothers, and that's almost it. I like each Mother game for different reasons, though. I think Mother 3 looks and sounds the best, but I still like Mother's story more. Mother 2/EarthBound touches me the most with its childlike sense of whimsy.

Paper Mario is a good secondary, despite the fact that I never finished the 2nd game (it's really good, I just never completed it). The first Paper Mario still holds up everywhere except the sound department for me. I used to really love the music to that game. I mean, really love it. But now, it's kind of bland and empty. I dunno what happened to me.

I've only played the first Mario and Luigi, but the humor was worth it.

And then there's Pokemon. A series I've all but forgotten at this point, so I'm not really counting it.

I think that's every RPG I've ever played. Oh, and Super Mario RPG, which I didn't care for. But it's pretty plain to see I like the humorous, cartoon inspired ones with a modern setting.
Old December 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
Nope, I refuse. I can't decide my favourite RPG ever... so here's a list of my top three.
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Yes, I know there are two excellent sequels to this game, Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story. Bowser's Inside Story came close to my fave in the series, but Superstar Saga was one of the first RPGs I played, and is so memorable/nostalgic for me.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. This game is amazing. Sticker Star was good, and Super Paper Mario wasn't terrible, but Thousand Year Door is one of, if not the best RPGs of all time. It's just so magical; the gameplay, the music, the characters... no game may possibly come close again.

Dragon Quest IX. This game is just packed. Packed with stuff to do and things to see. The main story itself takes around 70 hours for a casual gamer like me to finish. And then there's pretty much an infinite amount of post-story content. It just goes on and on and on... and that's an excellent thing.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Nebula
♚ Here's looking at you, kid.

Nature: Relaxed
How can I decide? There are so many great ones to choose from.You have Skyrim, for its awesome graphics and intriguing storyline (though repetitive at some points with quests/caves); Diablo, for the sheer awesomeness of the game; and many more. Though I do suppose I can find one that I appreciate more.

The Mass Effect series. Great concept, good design, and the trilogy's end (beloved Mass Effect 3) made me sit there at my computer for a good whole hour staring at the computer screen wondering "what could I have done different?"

Because of these reasons, Mass Effect gets my vote every time.

Frequent Visitor of the Roleplay Corner // Roleplays - // Pairless
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

I loved the Mother Series, especially the second one. Earthbound in America was without a doubt one of the most interesting and quirky RPGs ever made. I really liked how the battles ran in real time, like how your HP decreasing while taking your next move, allowing to save that character by healing them. Same with Mother 1 and 3, I enjoyed playing them so my favorite RPG(s) vote is for the Mother series.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:18 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Final Fantasy IX, with no comparison.

That game is absolutely amazing. It involves some of the best compositions by Nobuo Uematsu, clear character development throughout the game, and I especially like the story.

Sure, there are other very good RPG games out there too but FFIX is my personal favourite. I'd recommend it for anybody who would like to see something different in a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononoke Hime View Post
For sure Seiken Densetsu 3. I love it.
The bad thing is that's so underrated for it's quality of gameplay and plot...
Agreed, SD3 is way underrated compared to how good it is.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder

Nature: Docile
For myself, it is an endless tie between Final Fantasy IX, Chrono Trigger & Radiant Historia.

Final Fantasy IX: This game is simply glorious. Character development, atmosphere, plotline, & the finale. It all speaks of a glorious ends to the PSX lifecycle (yet it holds up even today).

Chrono Trigger: This games soundtrack alone is enough to sell it. Particularly "Memories of Green"; but the characters, plot & Zeal all make it amazing! (Yes, Zeal is that wondrous of a period in the game).

Radiant Historia: It is difficult to explain why this game is so fantastic, without giving a large # of spoilers. However, it's soundtrack, plotline & gameplay mechanics are perfect. If you make a mistake in your choices, or in your battles; it is solely your fault, not the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Final Fantasy IX, with no comparison.

That game is absolutely amazing. It involves some of the best compositions by Nobuo Uematsu, clear character development throughout the game, and I especially like the story.

Sure, there are other very good RPG games out there too but FFIX is my personal favourite. I'd recommend it for anybody who would like to see something different in a game.
I agree with you, in every sense of the word.
The few who appreciate Final Fantasy IX are becoming fewer & fewer over these last few years.
It's wonderful to see that there are some of us here. :D

Last edited by Gideon Jeremiah; December 21st, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I've played all of Final Fantasy VI, and nothing has been able to compare to it. The amount of character development and the amount of sidequests the game has is immense. Not to mention the amount of characters the game has, and that they manage to develop all of them well enough, that to a point, you get attached to some of them.

Now if only they remastered it.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Nerdy Mojo
No Lifer

Nature: Serious
mine would be a tie between Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Morrowind was very much the premier hardcore rpg of its time as far as single player rpgs go.it was way more difficult than subsequent TES games in that spells could fail if your skill in whatever magic school you were using was not high enough,no compass so you had to either follow directions or figure it out yourself,etc. i still remember the gamestore employee gushing about this game and veritably shoving it into my hands back in 05 or sometime close. i still play this game btw even currently.

Oblivion was the transition between morrowind being hardcore and skyrim being really watered down IMO as it still had some complexitly but you could see that Bethesda was beggining the seriously streamline the experience. i still feel that skyrim is a great game but a not really that hardcore rpg niche that morrowind was and that TES used to represent.

Diablo and WoW are games i spent alot of time with so they get an honourable mention....

Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3neSESS View Post
mine would be a tie between Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Morrowind was very much the premier hardcore rpg of its time as far as single player rpgs go.it was way more difficult than subsequent TES games in that spells could fail if your skill in whatever magic school you were using was not high enough,no compass so you had to either follow directions or figure it out yourself,etc. i still remember the gamestore employee gushing about this game and veritably shoving it into my hands back in 05 or sometime close. i still play this game btw even currently.

Oblivion was the transition between morrowind being hardcore and skyrim being really watered down IMO as it still had some complexitly but you could see that Bethesda was beggining the seriously streamline the experience. i still feel that skyrim is a great game but a not really that hardcore rpg niche that morrowind was and that TES used to represent.

Diablo and WoW are games i spent alot of time with so they get an honourable mention....
I've always seen Skyrim as a huge step up from Oblivion; although Oblivion was very fun, it was a lot of the same, especially with the start of the main quest which got very boring. I always thought that the towns especially were very similar in some respects having the same kinds of stores but just varied in size and setting. Skyrim is a lot more detailed, and there is just more to do with a huge variety. There are way more skills and the game is more down-to-the-user even though games both were, but Skyrim more heavily. I agree with you about Morrowind compared to Skyrim, but Oblivion...definitely not. I think the Skyrim really shows how much TES has to offer and it has somewhere to go, Oblivion did not offer as much.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Nerdy Mojo
No Lifer

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Low View Post
I've always seen Skyrim as a huge step up from Oblivion; although Oblivion was very fun, it was a lot of the same, especially with the start of the main quest which got very boring. I always thought that the towns especially were very similar in some respects having the same kinds of stores but just varied in size and setting. Skyrim is a lot more detailed, and there is just more to do with a huge variety. There are way more skills and the game is more down-to-the-user even though games both were, but Skyrim more heavily. I agree with you about Morrowind compared to Skyrim, but Oblivion...definitely not. I think the Skyrim really shows how much TES has to offer and it has somewhere to go, Oblivion did not offer as much.
yes, i was basically saying i vote for morrowind but i threw in oblivion because i really liked that one more than skyrim so it was just an honorable mention. my intent was to say that morrowind is the best rpg of all time, maybe i should have thrown in the oblivion shoutout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Low View Post
yes, i was basically saying i vote for morrowind but i threw in oblivion because i really liked that one more than skyrim so it was just an honorable mention. my intent was to say that morrowind is the best rpg of all time, maybe i should have thrown oblivion in there eh?

Last edited by Nerdy Mojo; December 23rd, 2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:56 PM
the adop17
Unhatched Egg

Definitley Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I don't know if anybody has ever heard of this one, and most people who have absolutley hate it, but i really enjoy a game called Two Worlds. Skyrim is pretty addicting too lol.
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Golden Sun, both the original GBA games and Dark dawn for the DS. The absolute best in my opinion. Played the hell out of those games for years.
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:28 PM
OrangeNess
Layton Lover

Nature: Docile
I'm so sorry, but I can't pick just one. RPG is my favorite genre, and there are sooooooo many. I'll give my top 5 instead:
1. MOTHER 3- Fantastic story, great gameplay, and humorus
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door- This is my favorite Paper Mario, due to the battle system, humor, and funness
3. EarthBound- Amazing RPG with once again good humor, and such a quirky cast
4. Super Paper Mario- This is on here for nostalgic purposes. This was the first Wii game I ever beat, let alone tried to beat. I find it very fun and full of humor
5. Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten- A great stragety RPG that is just as funny as the other games I have mentioned. It looks flat our ridiculous, but I can assure you, it is not an easy game.
Sobasically, you have an RPG that makes me laugh, I'm sold.
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Dying Light
Assassin

Nature: Hardy
Brave Fencer Musashi for the PSX. It used the same engine as FF VII (before Square merged with Enix). I also believe it had been heavily underrated.
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:17 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Golden Sun, both the original GBA games and Dark dawn for the DS. The absolute best in my opinion. Played the hell out of those games for years.
wait Dark Dawn...? I played it and found it to be kinda boring D: Did I miss something significant there or what?
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:37 AM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Nature: Adamant
The Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts series have always been my favorites, personally.
-Vladimir Lenin
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:34 AM
Tetrakeet
Lilligant's Caretaker

Nature: Careful
Pre BC World of Warcraft is the longest I've ever played an MMO (I played about 5 years). Offline best RPG would be Oblivion (2 years played).

Old December 31st, 2012, 11:54 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

I'd say either Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect or The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Mass Effect has a great story which is pretty darn important in RPGs imo, Dragon Age Origins has a good story, loads of customization options and the setting is great, and I have yet to come across a game with a better atmosphere and better music that TLOZ OOT.
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM
BeausaHD
The Beau In HD

One of these:
Skyrim- Big world, extensive customization, wide variety of enemies.
Dark Souls- Probably the most challenging game ever, real sense of achievement if completed.
Mass Effect 2: Amazing Characters, Amazing Story, Amazing Game.
Borderlands 2: Ridiculous amount of guns, ok story, big world, very long game.
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:03 PM
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Send a message via Skype™ to dcjboi
Fallout 3 and NV: Not counting the plotholes in FO3 these are my favorite console RPG games of this generation (That I've played)

Pokemon Mystery Dugeon Sky/Darkness/Time: The gameplay from the first release in the series plus more pokemon more dungeons and a tearjerking plot. Although it's a spinoff, it isn't given the credit it deserved.

Pokemon Coliseum: My favorite 3D pokemon game so far. New region, new type of pokemon, a new plot as in there is no more 8 gyms and then elite four, the best 3D graphics for a pokemon game in its time. Definitely my favorite game of the 3rd generation.

*edit* Paper Mario: The thousand year door: favorite game in the mario series and I had to give it to this game that I've replayed 3 times. All the characters are so likable and the plot is enticing to me as well as the plot

Also the Final Fantasy series: I've heard so much about this series that I've just had to play it. It is obviously longrunning and even though I haven't played FF7, it's influence has a wide margin

Last edited by dcjboi; January 5th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links