The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid

Advertise here
Congrats, birds. <3 :) I'm so proud of all of you! If we do the same set up as last year though, I hope more people vote in the GPGD category. There were 4 people that voted, hence why there's two unanimous winners and two tied categories.

New year resolution should be for me to make #swablunest more active. XD

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthebud View Post
Thanks. I actually hardly ever go to the main page at all, my bookmark is on the Challenge page :D.

So here are the Challenge Results for those who don't feel like going over there:

Challenges

Most Creative Challenges: LaureTheLoner (8)
Challenge Chugger: Myrrhman (5)
Monotype Obsessed: jdthebud (5)
Nuzlocke Obsessed: Zaroas (5)
Challenge of the Year: jdthebud's Monocolor Challenge (4)
Swabiest Swablu: jdthebud (5)

I feel honored, you guys. Thanks for voting for me!

Also, some poll winner/runner-ups featuring challenge regulars in the spoiler:
Spoiler:

Best Signature
Whether it be Umbreon or love letters to her pairs, Sydian's signatures are dubbed the best.

1. Sydian (5)

Favourite Moderator

3. Razor Leaf (9), Sydian (9)

Favourite Male

3. Shining Raichu (6), Razor Leaf (6), GolurkIsDaBomb (6)

Pokemon Gaming Central

Most Helpful for Metal/Color Gen: vaporeon7 (3)
Generally Helpful: vaporeon7, PlatinumDude, Hikari10, Sydian (1)
Most Interesting Posts: Sydian, MiTJa, XanderO, ninjagon (1)

Battle Center

Most promising new user: GolurkIsDaBomb (2)

Trade Corner

Classic Breeder of the Year: NecrumWarrior
Most Likely to Collect Thirty of the Same Pokemon: NecrumWarrior

Black and White

Most creative thread ideas: GolurkIsDaBomb (3)

Other Voting Polls

Most frequent user in Dear Anonymous: Sydian (6)

Member of the Year 2012
And the winner is...

Abnegation (5)

Runners Up: MidnightShine (4), GolurkIsDaBomb (4)

Here is a link to the full thread.
Congrats to all the winners, you guys certainly deserve it. I'm gonna try to make 2013 a better challenge year for myself, so maybe I'll be on par one day. probably not but eh

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
Honeyman

I... I don't see me...

*sits in corner sulking*

Supporter of crappy banners
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:44 AM
11wildy
Me!

Nature: Lonely
I'm already pleased I got a single nomination for the challenge forum;$. Thanks Syd! :'D And congrats on all your places for best member.
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Necrum
The most dapper evil genius

Nature: Adamant
Too many challenges I wanna do guys! Not nearly enough games to do em on. D:

1. Legendary Trio Challenge: I have my claim on this one and will be running it myself as soon as I get a game to play on. Maybe an emulator or something. Pretty straight forward, you play the game using only 3 legendary Pokemon for your team. This means that you will be severely handicapped in regards to typing, and all your Pokemon will be running the highest experience curve. Hacking is required in most circumstances, although there are exceptions with low level legendary Pokemon, like HGSS Creation trio mons, or events at lvl 15 or under.

2. Egg Group Challenge: This should be pretty self explanatory. I have seen a couple of really old threads out there for this challenge, and I think it would be really interesting.

3. Lost In Translation: This is another I really want to run myself, but I wouldn't care if someone started it before me. Basic concept is, you play through a foreign region game of a language that you don't speak, without the help of the internet to guide you.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Honeyman

Turns out there are 14 Zodiac signs instead of the 12 we grew up with. These two extra signs are Cetus: The whale, and Ophiochus: the snake bearer. Now I feel I need to include these two into my Zodiac challenge.

Supporter of crappy banners
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Enigma
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecrumWarrior View Post
Too many challenges I wanna do guys! Not nearly enough games to do em on. D:

1. Legendary Trio Challenge: I have my claim on this one and will be running it myself as soon as I get a game to play on. Maybe an emulator or something. Pretty straight forward, you play the game using only 3 legendary Pokemon for your team. This means that you will be severely handicapped in regards to typing, and all your Pokemon will be running the highest experience curve. Hacking is required in most circumstances, although there are exceptions with low level legendary Pokemon, like HGSS Creation trio mons, or events at lvl 15 or under.

2. Egg Group Challenge: This should be pretty self explanatory. I have seen a couple of really old threads out there for this challenge, and I think it would be really interesting.

3. Lost In Translation: This is another I really want to run myself, but I wouldn't care if someone started it before me. Basic concept is, you play through a foreign region game of a language that you don't speak, without the help of the internet to guide you.
All three sound excellent, I have a feeling that I'll get addicted to the Egg Group challenge and want to do every egg group or something ridiculous. :P

Old January 5th, 2013, 12:38 AM
11wildy
Me!

I kind of only do challenges if I can combine them with a monotype, or when they are INSANELY difficult. So I kind of want to do a Ruby/Sapphire run with NO Pokecenter/Market. I could use some advice for it...

What starter should I use? Mudkip kills most of the game by itself, but I don't know if it learns enough TMs to keep up with PP. Blaziken has a few problems on the way, mainly 6th and 8th gym, but learns more offensive TMs as well as getting better super effective coverage. And Blaziken KILLS the E4.

Apart from that, should I use Groudon or Kyogre? I cannot grind, since it will cost too much pp and hp, thus the legendaries seem like a solid choice, since they are strong and high leveled. Kyogre can help Swampert with the 8th gym with Thunder(bolt), while Groudon can be a great help in the E4, or a Blaziken supporter in general. I wouldn't mind running Groudon+Swampert or Kyogre+Blaziken though, if that gives better coverage.

Any help?
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:49 AM
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11wildy View Post
I kind of only do challenges if I can combine them with a monotype, or when they are INSANELY difficult. So I kind of want to do a Ruby/Sapphire run with NO Pokecenter/Market. I could use some advice for it...

What starter should I use? Mudkip kills most of the game by itself, but I don't know if it learns enough TMs to keep up with PP. Blaziken has a few problems on the way, mainly 6th and 8th gym, but learns more offensive TMs as well as getting better super effective coverage. And Blaziken KILLS the E4.

Apart from that, should I use Groudon or Kyogre? I cannot grind, since it will cost too much pp and hp, thus the legendaries seem like a solid choice, since they are strong and high leveled. Kyogre can help Swampert with the 8th gym with Thunder(bolt), while Groudon can be a great help in the E4, or a Blaziken supporter in general. I wouldn't mind running Groudon+Swampert or Kyogre+Blaziken though, if that gives better coverage.

Any help?
those leppa berries will come in handy, as will the various ethers on the ground.

go with kyogre, and give it shock wave first maybe to save on PP.

Blaziken will also have trouble with the 7th gym, although you could also skip the 6th gym and beat Winona with Kyogre later, since Fly isn't essential to get around.

I think Swampert should be fine though, there are enough pp items to help you out.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges:
Ultimate Monotype:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Necrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11wildy View Post

Any help?
Just thought I'd mention that if your using this combined with a monotype, that legendary pokemon are forbidden by the monotype challenge rules. So you would either have to keep it as a personal run, or if you want to post updates and be recognized, you'll have to not use kyogre or groudon
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Quote:
I... I don't see me...

*sits in corner sulking*
Hate that I'm just now thinking of this, but there should have been a "Best New Challenger" category! >:( Oh well. Stick around for the next one and maybe you'll get something! I'm proud of all you guys anyway, regardless of MOTY stuff. The challenge forum makes me happy and I have all you guys to thank for that, so no need for a silly contest to tell you that. :)

Old January 5th, 2013, 08:40 AM
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Just thought I'd mention that if your using this combined with a monotype, that legendary pokemon are forbidden by the monotype challenge rules. So you would either have to keep it as a personal run, or if you want to post updates and be recognized, you'll have to not use kyogre or groudon
The challenge he's referring too doesn't have anything to do with combining anything, it's the second part of his statement he's talking about, the "INSANELY difficult" part.

btw I just realized that blacking out would still be okay in that idea since you would wake up at home, unless you accidentally go into a PC. Even if you don't use it, it still counts as a visit, in which case a blackout will mean you fail since you use the PC to heal.

I'm much more about having fun and having variety/chances for little used Pokemon in my challenges, rather than difficulty. Sometimes I like to play hacks like Blaze Black that are harder games though.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges:
Ultimate Monotype:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Necrum

I just wanted to point it out cause both kyogre and Groudon both share types with Swampert. Just trying to avoid a worse case scenario.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:27 AM
11wildy
Me!

Well alright, thanks for the help. So Swampert + Kyogre it is. How to beat Brawly though, I never beat him without a flying type or Combusken... XD (are you judging me for using the most overpowered legendary? :x)

And Sydian, same for me, thank you all!
Old January 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I updated the Nuzlocke thread after ages... that was absolute hell to do.
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Necrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
I updated the Nuzlocke thread after ages... that was absolute hell to do.
I hear ya man. You should seen all the work I had to do to bring the monotype thread up to speed. Half a years worth of posts. It was crazy to say the least.
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Enigma
Community Supporter

I'm going crazy with the challenges again. I have so many in mind that I want to do! I definitely want to do another ultimate solo, but this time, I'll be using Altaria.

Represent!

Now, when I start this challenge, I want to name this Altaria something that is representative of the Challenge Forum. So, what do you guys think we should name her? I was thinking Challey but that sounds kind of lame to me

Old January 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoRogue View Post
I'm going crazy with the challenges again. I have so many in mind that I want to do! I definitely want to do another ultimate solo, but this time, I'll be using Altaria.

Represent!

Now, when I start this challenge, I want to name this Altaria something that is representative of the Challenge Forum. So, what do you guys think we should name her? I was thinking Challey but that sounds kind of lame to me
I did a solo with Swablu once and called it Sydian.
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Necrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoRogue View Post

Represent!

I see your still procrastinating your signature. Bad. lol

I think Sydian is the only real name that could represent the Challenge forums.

Also, all a ya need to hang out in #swablunest more. I'm getting lonely, k?
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Enigma
Community Supporter

Quote:
I see your still procrastinating your signature. Bad. lol

I think Sydian is the only real name that could represent the Challenge forums.

Also, all a ya need to hang out in #swablunest more. I'm getting lonely, k?
I have procrastination issues, bad ones

That's two votes for Sydian then, I'm not going to start the ultimate for a few days or longer knowing my procrastinating hurr durr so there's plenty of time for others to have a say in the matter.

Yes yes everyone go to #swablunest

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:57 AM
11wildy
Me!

Another vote for Sydian here! Btw, I beat Sapphire without use of mart/center! After catching Kyogre I didn't use swampert anymore :p.

Last edited by 11wildy; January 7th, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

So apparently the challenges section was added to the profile.

REJOICE!
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Necrum

So apparently we all need to hurry and finish our Ultimate challenges now. Cause once 6th gen is out, we're gonna have yet another game to add to the requirements. XD

And awesome! We got a place for challenges!
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

New games will mean new Favorite Challenge thread! :) I will probably wait a month or two after release and keep the B2W2 one up till then. I'm so ready for the XY prefix btw. Not like it'll be used but it's great when I have to tell the admins to add a new prefix, lmao. ...Oh. I'll be using it for Favorite Challenge. Yay.

guys i need a fennekin avatar reel bad ;(

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Necrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
New games will mean new Favorite Challenge thread! I will probably wait a month or two after release and keep the B2W2 one up till then. I'm so ready for the XY prefix btw. Not like it'll be used but it's great when I have to tell the admins to add a new prefix, lmao. ...Oh. I'll be using it for Favorite Challenge. Yay.

guys i need a fennekin avatar reel bad ;(
Fennekin is so awesome, it should be a Challenge Mascot with Swablu!

I'll probably do an X/Y challenge after I beat it to give the tag some use too. I don't know what yet though...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here