The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

I feel bad for George Lucas :( He looks so dead inside :(
I don't think I've seen anything as truly pitiful as this.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
I feel bad for George Lucas :( He looks so dead inside :(
I'm sure he's sleeps easy at night on his gigantic pile of money.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Aphrodite
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
I'm sure he's sleeps easy at night on his gigantic pile of money.
Well, duh, that's obvious. I haven't exactly got much love for him after the whole I'm Han Solo affair, but still!
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
I don't think he wasn't involved in that Kinect game, contrary to belief on every Star Wars related product outside of the six movies.
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Esper

I'm really glad you brought this video to my attention, not because it's good or enjoyable, but because I can now force other people to watch it as well.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age

Quote:
Well, duh, that's obvious. I haven't exactly got much love for him after the whole I'm Han Solo affair, but still!
That's really quite... something! Surprised I haven't seen this yet, honestly.
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:10 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
I don't think I've seen anything as truly pitiful as this.
Context for the picture. There are "Star Wars Weekends" every May at the Hollywood Studios park in Walt Disney World. Some extra Star Wars events than there would usually be. A lot more characters (and Disney characters in Star Wars garb like in that picture). And the 501st Legion is wandering about. George has been on hand a few times to launch the event. They have a whole Endor area in that park aswell.

That picture though I think was from when they launched the revamp of the Star Tours ride. Lucas was there for that and it was a big deal
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Livewire
League Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Silver Linings Playbook is by far one of the best movies I have ever seen, I highly recommend. Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper AND Robert De Niro all deserve some love from the Academy next month. It's as funny and optimistic as it is dark, and if you're from Philly you will especially love it. Enjoyable from beginning to end.
ORAS Release Staff Collab 2014

Last edited by Livewire; January 6th, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:53 PM
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter

So the new anime season has hit, what is there to look out for and suggestions? Im still looking to pick up 4 or more series to watch from this season.
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Adventure
i n t e r s t e l l a r

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi-kun View Post
I would recommend taking a look at the noitaminA block of shows. While they've become much less so recently, they hold a lot of unique little gems in their lineup. Tsuritama and No. 6 are part of it, in fact.
Very interesting! Will check out, absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefulWetPaint View Post
So the new anime season has hit, what is there to look out for and suggestions? Im still looking to pick up 4 or more series to watch from this season.
I've begun watching Code:Breaker for some reason. Only seen 3 episodes so far. Seems decently promising though. Bit violent but not excessively so.

Old January 7th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefulWetPaint View Post
I'm probably only watching the SHAFT show and Hotpants: The Anime. Crap season.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age

I was referring to his graven expression.

So, Les Miserables was absolute perfection! I couldn't have asked for a better representation of the book, and Amanda Seyfried, Hugh Jackman, and Eddie Redmayne (as well as Anne Hathaway in the scenes she was actually present) gave brilliant performances. I wish I had seen this earlier, aaaa. Would see it again, definitely.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

Quote:

So, Les Miserables was absolute perfection! I couldn't have asked for a better representation of the book, and Amanda Seyfried, Hugh Jackman, and Eddie Redmayne (as well as Anne Hathaway in the scenes she was actually present) gave brilliant performances. I wish I had seen this earlier, aaaa. Would see it again, definitely.
Oh man, I really want to see it. I heard a lot of good things about it. Is Anne Hathaway not in it a lot?

Team Alpha
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Quote:

Ahh I'm so jealous, can't wait to see this. I heard Hathaway was supposed to be one of the main stars though, what happened there?
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Esper

I heard that Russell Crowe was not very good in it, as in he's not a very good singer. Also heard that they moved some plot things around, but not being very knowledgeable about the musical I couldn't say whether that's an improvement or not.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age

Russel Crowe was not a very good singer, but he played the part of Javiert exceptionally well. Also, Les Miserables was never a musical before - it was a book and, soon after, a play.

And, about Anne Hathaway -

Spoiler:
She plays the role of Fantine, the mother of Cosette. She passes away early on from a disease she contracts after selling her body off to prostitution to earn money to support her daughter after she is fired from her only job. Despite having to be written out early, she was spectacular.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

Oh wow, I thought she was in it the whole time. She's a fantastic actress. She sang I Dreamed A Dream perfectly. She also went the extra mile to shave her head for the part, a lot of people would not do that for a film.

Team Alpha
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
Oh wow, I thought she was in it the whole time. She's a fantastic actress. She sang I Dreamed A Dream perfectly. She also went the extra mile to shave her head for the part, a lot of people would not do that for a film.
So different now from what it seemed...

I nearly shed a tear. Her voice is so powerful, so melodious... it was impossible not to be riveted by her performance. And she did appear again near the end, but the reason why is kind of a spoiler, so I'll keep it to myself. [:

Old January 8th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Quote:
So different now from what it seemed...

I nearly shed a tear. Her voice is so powerful, so melodious... it was impossible not to be riveted by her performance. And she did appear again near the end, but the reason why is kind of a spoiler, so I'll keep it to myself. [:

blehhh I'm starting to not what to watch this now, if the appearing again is anything like I'm expecting from what I know about the story then I don't think I'll be able to watch it :( I don't like getting emotional in front of people, especially not in a crowded movie theatre. ;;
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:27 PM
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

Ya, unfortunately this season is pretty bad =_=

While I have a few guilty pleasures littered about (D.C.III, Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited, Haganai 2, Vanguard), they probably won't be anything particularly special.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha should prove amusing so long they don't make the rest of the show about boobs.
Hot Pants the anime AKA Vividred Operation is an original, so there's a bit of hope in there.
If you're into Otome Game anime, there's Amnesia, which as the premise suggests could be interesting depending on execution.
Tamako Market is Kyoto Animation's project for this season. Personally, I'm expecting more of the same.
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai seems to have an interesting premise (Also the only SHAFT show this season).
Love Live is an idol anime. As per a large main cast, how good you think the show is will probably depend on how much you like the characters and if said characters get screen time.
Fanservice-wise, there's Senran Kagura, both will probably be more action-oriented service.
Mondaiji seems like it'll be more of a personality/costume-based fanservice, but still looks promising maybe? I'd have to watch the first ep to get a better idea of what's going on there.

For my Guity Pleasures
If you're a fan of the Zettai Karen Children series, ZKC: The Unlimited takes the story into Hyoubu Kyousuke's side in his own story.
Da Capo III is a pretty generic dating sim. It's a classic title, but I wouldn't suggest watching it if you're not into galge shows.
And the others are sequels.

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Aphrodite
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Russel Crowe was not a very good singer, but he played the part of Javiert exceptionally well. Also, Les Miserables was never a musical before - it was a book and, soon after, a play.
....isn't Les Mis literally the longest running musical on Broadway? Either that or Phantom, but still...?
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age

Quote:
....isn't Les Mis literally the longest running musical on Broadway? Either that or Phantom, but still...?
I swore I couldn't find results for a Les Miserables musical when I looked it up a bit ago. Nevermind, haha. v___v;; Yeah, it seems to have been first produced on Broadway in 1987, with another revival due 2014.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Esper

I had a coworker who's going to see Les Mis. She asks me if I know what Les Misérables means in English. "The Miserables?" I say. "That's not a very inviting title." She didn't know what the story was about.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
oh good we're talking about Les Mis!

I was disappointed with the movie overall, but that was mostly because I didn't think Anne Hathaway (literally the only reason I went to see it, I hate Hugh Jackman) would die as early as she did. Once that happened, all the emotion from the movie was gone (Jean Valjean is not a good character and I don't care about him) and the only times I got emotional at all were at the end and when they sang Do You Hear The People Sing?

Anne Hathaway though. Far out, she was amazing. If she doesn't get the Oscar this year, there is something horribly wrong.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old January 9th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
the only times I got emotional at all were at the end and when they sang Do You Hear The People Sing?

Anne Hathaway though. Far out, she was amazing. If she doesn't get the Oscar this year, there is something horribly wrong.
You have to admit Empty Chairs at Empty Tables tugged at your heartstrings, especially with the power Marius sang it with. His voice was simply awestriking and the lyrics of the song in the context of the movie were just... I can't. xD; I agree that Hathaway should receive an Oscar for her performance and if she doesn't, someone somewhere is not having successful psychologist meetings.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links