Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old January 7th, 2013 (06:12 AM).
Air Lock
Will I come back?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Hi! I'm coming to you all with a question: how do I make animated .gifs transparent? Specifically so in-game they don't show up with a white box around them. I've updated some of my battler sprites with the B2/W2 Pokemon animations, but now the animations show up with a white box around them, even though everything else shows them without a white box around them.

I don't know if there's something special I have to do to the .gifs, or what it is...
Old January 7th, 2013 (07:58 AM).
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

The only way I can think of involves opening the .gif sprite in Photoshop and manually remove the white background on each layer. It's a lot of work though.
Old January 7th, 2013 (08:11 AM).
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
With .gifs you will find generally that they have actually been made with transparent backgrounds, just made with the wrong program, when it comes to RMXP; photoshop is the best program for the job.

If you have photoshop then simply click "Window - Animation" (this shows the frame-by-frame properties) open up the gif image in photoshop to check the background, once it is made transparent (if not already) click "File - Save for Web & Devices" (This gives the gif the animation property instead of a still image), once you have saved it by using 'Save for Web & Devices' the background should be transparent and should animate properly.
Old January 7th, 2013 (08:18 AM). Edited January 7th, 2013 by Air Lock.
Air Lock
Will I come back?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Alright, I'll try these things and update this post with what happens.

EDIT:
Quote originally posted by Rayquaza.:
With .gifs you will find generally that they have actually been made with transparent backgrounds, just made with the wrong program, when it comes to RMXP; photoshop is the best program for the job.

If you have photoshop then simply click "Window - Animation" (this shows the frame-by-frame properties) open up the gif image in photoshop to check the background, once it is made transparent (if not already) click "File - Save for Web & Devices" (This gives the gif the animation property instead of a still image), once you have saved it by using 'Save for Web & Devices' the background should be transparent and should animate properly.
I tried this. It doesn't do it automatically, and when I try mapping the transparent color to white, the eyes also become transparent, which is a problem.
Old January 7th, 2013 (12:51 PM).
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
If this is the case, this is because the white background is the same colour as the eyes. You therefor need to change the background colour.
Old January 7th, 2013 (03:26 PM).
Faore
:D

Just make the eye a really light grey colour.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links