The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Deceit
Toxic.

Nature: Timid
All the gyms in Black and White 2 have gotten upgrades, including new interiors. Every gym has been remodeled, except for the Icirrus City and Nacrene City gyms, but they are not part of the main gyms anyway. The Icirrus City and Striaton Gym Leaders can still be battled, however. There are also a few new gyms added, listed here:
Spoiler:
Gym 1: Normal, lead by Cheren, in Aspertia City
Gym 2: Poison, lead by Roxie, in Virbank City
Gym 8: Water, lead by Marlon, in Humilau City

In addition, the gyms have new and unique themes, which differs a lot from previous games, as all gyms usually have the same theme. In this game, each theme is a remix of the original gym music, made to suit each and every gym (though Cheren has the normal theme, this may be because he is a normal gym leader).

So,
How did you feel about the gyms in Black and White 2 compared to the originals, Black and White?

-Were there any gym puzzles you had trouble with?
-Did you like the different themes for each gym?
-Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new interior?

For me, I really liked the new themes for each gym. It made me feel like each gym leader (and to some extent, the gym itself) had its own personality. The fact that the gyms were remodeled also made me feel like Unova has changed a lot in 2 years. For the puzzles, the only one I had trouble with was Burgh's, because I didn't know you had to stand in front of one cocoon for the trainer to jump out, as well as the opening.

Anyways, discuss.

Last edited by Deceit; January 6th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Drayden's Gym was the most unique. It actually had an occasion where you had to fight a Triple Battle or a Rotation Battle, which was your choice. Granted, I took on both for the experience NEway.

Skyla's Gym was also a fun one to try. Nimbasa was generically boring; a runway for a Gym, but cool that your Trainer's picture shows up on screen afterwards. Clay's I fortunately figured out quickly (I'm good with mazes), but it's one of those that could prove annoying to players.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ

Nature: Modest
How did you feel about the gyms in Black and White 2 compared to the originals, Black and White?
Overall the best Gyms so far. Their uniqueness really shined this time around. Yes, each Gym in the past had a little puzzle, each different from the other, and totally different trainers in each, but this time we REALLY got a difference from each Gym. In the past, they all has the same, drab, dull feel: You walk in, battle some minions, and then the Leader. In black 2 and White 2, you really had an experience. You experience the Gym, the theme, the trainers, and of course, the Leader.

CLAY. His Puzzle sucked. I always get so turned around in his gym and usually end up in the same spot six times in a row. ;;

They were probably my favorite new feature in the Gyms. The themes matched each Leader perfectly. Cheren's was still the same as the generic Gym theme was in Black and White, but that was perfect too, considering that he's the "teacher" type of Leader as well as being the newest Gym Leader in Unova.

-Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new interior?
Not at all. Each new Gym is most definitely an improvement upon their previous styles and layouts.

These games were definitely the games with the best Gyms ever, in my opinion. Nintendo and GameFreak did a fantastic job at designing each one, and I can't wait to see what other Gyms in the possible and hopeful future.
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:56 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
-Were there any gym puzzles you had trouble with?: Clay's gym puzzle gave me headaches.
-Did you like the different themes for each gym?: Yes, particularly Roxie's.
-Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new interior?: I liked Skyla's B/W gym interior than the one in B2/W2 because the catapults were fun to shoot out of.

Old January 8th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I love these gyms! The one that stuck with me is actually Burgh's, especially the music omg <3 Clay's puzzle sucked, but it was still an improvement over the previous. BW changed the gyms to be actual facilities, and BW2 just took it beyond! They were fun to complete, actually.

SHOWDOWNGALLERYANIMEPAIR

Old January 9th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Esper

I thought they were mostly an improvement over the BW gyms. (Clay, you suck.) The roller coaster gym was kind of annoying to me so I'm glad that was replaced with a straightforward runway with fun music. Much more fitting there. They all seemed to fit more with their respective leaders this time around so I was glad to see that.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I have to say the new Gyms are a drastic improvement, the new looks are just so cool and the fact they remixed the music to suit the theme of the Gym was a smart move, for Cheren's they used the original theme from Black and White, probably cos he's a Normal-type Gym Leader and all.

My fave music would have to be from Burgh and Elesa's Gyms, and the design was awesome too. Tbh I liked Burgh's Gym design much better than in B/W and I like how Elesa now has hers on a catwalk, and those lights are beautiful.

I didn't have any particular issues with the puzzles though.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:12 AM
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

The gyms in this game were much better than the ones in the original BW. I loved Burgh's gym, I also liked Marlon's but the best of all was Drayden's :D
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM
waveguidebuizel
no ordinary buizel

I loved what they did with the gyms in this game! Going from Cheren's normal gym theme to Roxie's rock music club version of the theme certainly surprised me. Elesa's really blew me away when I first got to her. "GIVE ME WHAT I NEED!" :O Yeah, I just loved the fact that each gym had a unique theme. It definitely made me look forward to entering new gyms, at least moreso than before.

As for puzzles, I particularly enjoyed Marlon's and Skyla's most. ^-^

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old January 13th, 2013, 04:37 PM
QuickSilveri
Veteran

Hands down the game improved on a bunch of points, one of them being the gyms. I enjoyed the uniqueness of them and the puzzles reminded me of Flannery's gym back in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. One of the hardest from the series. Anyone Remember?

I also loved how you started your quest on the other side of the map and couldnt get to the original starting point until after the E4+1. Threw some originality into your quest as opposed to a repeat of B/W.

Regards, Chris
Started: Pokemon Yellow for GBC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their Pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I would have to say that of all the upgraded Gyms, Elesa and Skyla's were my favorite. The Nimbasa Gym was one of my favorite because it was straightforward (battle and move on), and it had some pretty awesome Gym music. I wouldn't want all Gyms to be that simple, but I think one or two a game work.

I also liked that there was a bit of challenge and strategy with Skyla's Gym in Mistralton. Overall, I find I prefer simple strategic puzzles like this one compared to something like Clay's Gym, where it can almost borderline on frustrating.
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I think I preferred the more straight forward designs and by that I mean Roxie and Elesa's.

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:48 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

I loved Elesa's gym, but more so, I loved Roxie's as well. It suited each of them greatly.
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:20 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Burgh's Gym > Elesa's Gym > everything else.

I loved the gym designes/re-designs. I didn't particularly like BW's Gym designs so it was a very welcome change!
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:58 AM
mozartm99

Nature: Lax
The only gym puzzle that was tuff for me was Clay's gym. Other thank that, I thought they where great.
Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and dark will rise
when a good man goes to war
Demons run, but count the cost
the battle's won, but the child is lost.
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I.T.
The Pokémon Cartel

Nature: Jolly
CLAY UGH!
YAAS!
Nope
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM
vapes
Togepi

Nature: Lonely
Another reason why I think White/Black 2 to be the best Pokemon games made. Each gym had its own theme, its own design, it made itself memorable. Elesa's gym and Drayden's gym were amazing.

White FC: 2967 8981 9744

White 2 FC: 4342 1706 0881 (usually for trades; I have pretty good Pokes in my PC)

Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Arlo

I'm only half way through my first time in B2, but so far I mostly prefer the new gyms. The only one I didn't care for much was Roxie's gym, since it wasn't really a gym. It was more like I just tromped up there onto the stage in the middle of a show and interrupted for a battle. It just seemed weird. Burgh's remodel was pretty good, and I loved both Elesa's and Clay's - Elesa's for the ambience and Clay's for the puzzle.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Were there any gym puzzles you had trouble with?
I had trouble with Clay's gym, now that was a hard one.
Did you like the different themes for each gym?
Oh my gosh, I loved it. They finally pinpointed the themes, even adding unique gym music to each gym, which gave it it's own feel. The gyms also corrosponded to their type, with was great to see happen.
Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new interior?
I felt like Drayden's gym was more creative the first time around.

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
I hated Clay's gym puzzle. It took me 1 hour to solve it. It was booooring. The best puzzle in my opinion was Burgh's one. But the Drayden's one was awesome too. You choose which type of battle you want...I loved it.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old January 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Really? I sped right through Clay's gym....it wasn't that bad was it?

must have been dumb luck then.

and yea I agree Drayden had a much better gym in the first game.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
None in particular. Maybe a bit with skyla, for some reason I wasn't making it.
Best part of B2W2. Such a brilliant idea, and I'm surprised it took them this long. Hopefully the battle music reflects the gyms in XY.
-Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new
interior?

Drayden's. I wasn't too happy about the battle to progress gyms, but Drayden having such a gym was silly. Cheren's was a new gym, and Elesa's a runway which you can't have a puzzle on, but Drayden? No excuse. Even if its a black/white choice theme.

Sponsored Links