The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 29th, 2012 (04:09 PM).
White Mage
don't let me drown
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to classical music. I have an appreciation for it, and often times enjoy it, but generally, I'm not super enthusiastic about it.
Old November 29th, 2012 (07:41 PM).
Adore
(◕‿◕✿)

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Adore
As someone who has been playing piano since a very young age, I have a lot of respect for classical music. It's some of the most beautiful, complex music that I have ever attempted to play.

It isn't my go-to genre to listen to, but I do enjoy listening to some Mozart pieces occasionally.

theme: rain | tumblr
Old November 30th, 2012 (10:27 AM). Edited November 30th, 2012 by Cassino.
Cassino

It's painful to listen to. It sounds erratic in timing and the volume goes to and from the extremes of loud and quiet all too often.
It's worth noting that I do generally like orchestral music, but not if it's classical.
Old December 19th, 2012 (04:13 PM).
BassBlood
Bass Player Extraordinaire

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with classical. I listen to Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi and Grieg quite a lot Beethoven and Wagner sometimes, but everything else fails to interest me.
Old December 19th, 2012 (07:31 PM).
Mr. Magius
  
Community Supporter Tier 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
It's painful to listen to. It sounds erratic in timing and the volume goes to and from the extremes of loud and quiet all too often.
It's worth noting that I do generally like orchestral music, but not if it's classical.
I think what you're referring to is Romantic music, which emphasizes and dramatizes contrasts in volume. It's very loose and lenient in terms of composition, so the musicians don't necessarily go by the book when writing a piece. That's probably the erratic timing that you're hearing, as well. (i.e., Beethoven and his harsh conducting hand gestures)

The classical period is very strict and follows the "proper" rules of music theory. You're not gonna hear a lot of stuff that goes outside of the box, and as it was mostly commissioned by royalty from composers, it's written to naturally soothe your ears... definitely not cause them pain!
Old December 29th, 2012 (09:59 AM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
This isn't too far from my own opinion, but a heck of a lot more drastic haha. I wouldn't call it painful to listen to by any means, but it's really not a style that I've found myself able to get into. I've tried several times listening to some classical pieces suggest by my friends and scarcely have I liked them. Of course there's a few gems amongst the granite which I really do love listening to, but the same would apply to any other genre - however as for the majority of classical music that I've listened to it's just far too erratic like Cassino said and it seems all over the place. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it just doesn't appeal to me personally.
Old December 30th, 2012 (05:41 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
I'm surprised that people here don't like classical music that much despite complaining about how music today is crud because the music they grew up with was better. Classical music helps me relax with my emotions, and thanks to Fantasia, I'm in love with them.
Old December 30th, 2012 (05:58 PM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I liek classical music. When I was young and I went somewhere with my dad using the car, he would always put classical music. So it grew on me, I actually have 2 classical music that I like very much. Swan Ballet and Cannon D.
Old January 3rd, 2013 (05:02 AM).
Starry Windy
Show Your Victory!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I like Classical music. Some of the musicians I like are Mozart, Beethoven and Johann Strauss.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
"... But I won't give up! I won't lose anymore!" - Wally
Old January 7th, 2013 (03:51 PM).
Kloun
Dividing by zero since 2011.

Nature: Serious
I'm kind of weird in that I can't really listen to any music with singing in it, it just sounds bad to me. That being said, I think classical music is terrific. My favorite genres are classical and jazz. I actually bought ear plugs (The cheap swimming kind) to put on for when someone is playing rap or pop music loudly. I don't really know why. I love the complexity and how all the different instruments fit in perfect harmony in a classical song. All of the random beats and autotuning and dubstep and stuff just drive me mad when I listen to it. I personally never got the appeal of that kind of thing. I do respect everyone's opinion, though, and understand if someone wouldn't like classical music.
Old January 7th, 2013 (03:57 PM).
Antemortem
we're fantastic

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Classical music is yet another genre of music and, to me, it's a very soothing style that, if played every once in awhile, breaks the monotonous mold of modern style music and is just very refreshing! Of course, too much in one sitting will drive me insane, but in small, controlled doses, it's really quite nice!
suggestions and stuff on my profile because i value you lovelies. xo
oras ... cm ... final oras team
Old January 17th, 2013 (04:58 PM).
Evanlyn
Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!

Nature: Relaxed
I love classical music :D
It's just... amazing... I love the structure & harmony

Tchaikovsky. Is. The. Best.
I also love Mozart!
Bach's pretty amazing as well.

I'm trying to get into more classical music, since I want to join an orchestra after uni.

BUT Anyone who wants a... um... I suppose you could say 'different' type of classical music, should listen to the album 'Hooked On Classics' (not no. 2 or 3, mainly the first one - it's the best) - basically a heap of classical pieces put together in one to form a medley, but also with a drumbeat in the background... and well, it sounds pretty good!
Old January 17th, 2013 (05:04 PM).
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I can tolerate it, although I don't actively go out and seek it. While it can be quite calming, sometimes it's just way too intense and I could go for something a bit (a lot, actually) slower. It's too much work to split hairs and look for slower classical songs, so I just fall back on what I know.

Sponsored Links