• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Yeah, I doubt it.

The 3DS seems to have a lot in sales, which means it probably has a broad audience. And the people who do not have one, will probably have one in the for the game.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Clearly the answer is no, sweetie. The 3DS is doing well. And by all means, this will also be a console pusher as well.

Also as Went pointed out, Pokémon being on the GBA didn't kill off the franchise after II.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
For me they will lose tons of sales from this, A massive majority of sales for BW2 came from the standard DS buyers rather than 3DS users. SO in my opinion pokemon will be laid to rest this year, not everyone can afford a 3DS, I know they moved it to the 3ds so that they could make the graphics better and stuff but that still doesn't excuse the fact they just took a massive crap on standard DS users such as myself.

At this point, it's like complaining because there aren't enough PS2 games being released- instead everything is for the PS3! DS is outdated and BW2 were their swan song. Don't expect much else to be ever realeased for the DS anymore- certainly not Nintendo AAA's. All consoles die, and there has been enough "transition time" since the 3DS was released- it's time to move on and not let the huge DS limitations to force the programmers to make worse games than they could. Otherwise, we might as well still be playing our NESes.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
The only problem is, you buy the 3DS to play pokemon, but what else? You can't just buy a new console just to play 1 or 2 games on.

Yeah you may buy more games for it later down the line, but in the end your spending how ever much for a new console and new game(s) instead of just the new game.

Well that's just a sacrifice you're going to have to make then and you're going to have to get it eventually anyways because everything moves on at some point.

SilverCrown

Fired Up!
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 6, 2022
I've already owned a 3DS before, and had sold it because of the lacking amount of games out for it that interested me.

As much as I want to get these new games, I can't justify getting a new 3DS just for these. Will just have to wait and see if the prices go down lower than they are now for the 3DS.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think once enough people see the advertising and everything of these games, they'll easily get a 3DS for it. Not many might have them now, but Pokemon fans certainly don't like missing out on things and I don't think there will be a shortage on people getting the 3DS to get the games.

Years
This announcement will certainly put the 3DS in the spot light, so maybe more companies will start making content for it, since one of the biggest out there has put their game on it.​

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I've held onto my 3DS since I bought it on the first day of release, and I've been happy with it since.

Of course these games are going to boost 3DS sales, not that they're at a low, anyway.

Also, the 3DS has a great library of games, if you're a new buyer, there are amazing upcoming games like Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion coming up, and there's also a great existing Library with titles such as Kid Icarus, and Mario Kart! :>

Years
Pokemon is the second most popular gaming franchise in the world, so this could help 3DS sales a lot.

And I'm so glad I got a 3DS for Christmas cos I didn't want to feel left out, but I guess for some fans it means the final nail in the coffin.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
It is a lot cheaper now, indeed, but people will still have to pay for it. So who knows.​

So they should not have made GBA games because the GB/C had a bigger owner percentage, DS because GBA had a bigger owner percentage? No offense, but that argument has really gotten stale. By the time these games come out, the 3DS will be ~ 5 months shy of 3 years old, that's plenty of time to scrap up enough cash for one(especially with the early price drop it got for waiters and the rumored slight price drop popping up soon, if it hasn't already; It's not like it doesn't have bc either so you can continue playing your ds games.

Years
Well that's just a sacrifice you're going to have to make then and you're going to have to get it eventually anyways because everything moves on at some point.

But I don't see why they don't just go to the Wii and put the games on that. It will make the graphics a lot better for one and give the game something else.

Alright they want it being a handheld but theres only so much a handheld console can be evolved before it reaches it maximum.

Years
So they should not have made GBA games because the GB/C had a bigger owner percentage, DS because GBA had a bigger owner percentage? No offense, but that argument has really gotten stale. By the time these games come out, the 3DS will be around ~ 5 months shy of 3 years old, that's plenty of time to scrap up enough cash for one; It's not like it doesn't have bc either.

Hey, I might not agree with the OP, I am just sparking discussion! :P

The games industry has to move forward and the gamers have to follow, so some people could just see this as a 'normal' thing to happen. But with the lack of DS games, is it fair?​

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Wtf? Well I guess I'm not getting it then. There's no way that I'm buying a 3DS with which I seriously don't want to do anything just for one game. Can't have an R4 on it either so yeah no. I'll wait for the internet to find a way lol.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
But I don't see why they don't just go to the Wii and put the games on that. It will make the graphics a lot better for one and give the game something else.

Alright they want it being a handheld but theres only so much a handheld console can be evolved before it reaches it maximum.

You should read up on why they feel like a handheld is best fit for the main games of the series. ;) Also, why release for the Wii when that's already gotten the boot for some time now? If you mean the Wii U, I repeat that first sentence I said. It's not like the Wii U isn't going to get some amazing spin-offs; spin offs are always all over the place.

Hey, I might not agree with the OP, I am just sparking discussion! :P

The games industry has to move forward and the gamers have to follow, so some people could just see this as a 'normal' thing to happen. But with the lack of DS games, is it fair?​

Lack of DS games in what respect? Pokemon-wise, the DS has an overabundance of it; a 3DS main title announcement has been overdue really. :P That wasn't meant for a personal attack either, just a response to that saying in general.

Eps

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
If you cannot afford the small amount for a 3DS in the next 10 months, then you need to take a good long look at what you're doing wrong with your life.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I wouldn't think soo, considered the cutesy graphic they had and with much cut prices 3DS had lately.....

At this point, it's like complaining because there aren't enough PS2 games being released- instead everything is for the PS3! DS is outdated and BW2 were their swan song. Don't expect much else to be ever realeased for the DS anymore- certainly not Nintendo AAA's. All consoles die, and there has been enough "transition time" since the 3DS was released- it's time to move on and not let the huge DS limitations to force the programmers to make worse games than they could. Otherwise, we might as well still be playing our NESes.

I agreed too. DS is already dying. There is no point prolong their life, let them rest and Baton Pass it to 3DS.

dieter57

pokemon master
Years
I'm more excited for the full 3D models! Anybody remember Pokemon coliseum and Pokemon XD? It's something I've wanted on handheld for a long long time and I finally have! I am really excited for this new change.

Goblinaro

[Insert creative title here]
Years
The only problem is, you buy the 3DS to play pokemon, but what else? You can't just buy a new console just to play 1 or 2 games on.

The moment I saw the 3DS at E3 2010, I started saving up and bought it on launch. And I have never regretted the decision.

There may have used to be a deficit of good games, but they've got plenty of good games now. I own Mario Kart, OoT 3D, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Super Mario 3D Land. Plus there are great games already out that I've been wanting to get such as Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Animal Crossing. Plus there are more games coming out for it that are top class. Personally I'm really looking forward to Fire Emblem: Awakening in February, and now I have a Pokemon game to look forward to later down the road. Plus if you don't like much of the games for it you could always check out the Nintendo eShop and get really good downloadable games for cheap, and since the eShop carried over all the games from the DSi, the library is quite expansive and the quality is good as well.

With the price drop, I feel that the 3DS is worth buying now more than ever. And considering that the DSi XL was once more costly than the 3DS is I don't see why families that could afford one of the DS models when it was new can't afford this with a trade-in or from just buying one used. Pokemon is far from dying, and X and Y can only serve to further boost the sales of the 3DS.

P.S. can't wait for the inevitable "Pokemon Z" announcement. XD

Back