The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: 3D Graphics good or Bad?
Good 105 88.98%
Bad 7 5.93%
Dosen't Matter 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
If you look closely enough to the overworld, it still attempts to follow the same style as the original maps. It doesn't seem like there's any diagonal movement (but who knows) and stuff is arranged and coloured almost like maps from the 5th generation.
I'm praying to God there is diagonal movement. The original style is outdated IMO. I can't imagine how weird it'd feel to play a game that looks as 3D as it does and only being able to move up, down left and right.

Last edited by Kanto_Johto; January 8th, 2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

I love the new graphics <3
The over world could use a bit of polishing but I think that's more of a map design thing than a graphics thing. It looks too empty imo. This style worked when it was 2D or thereabouts but now that it's going 3D we'll need to have a few more elements thrown in so that we can fill in the spots which we couldn't see back when it was 2D.

The battle scenes though looked flawless.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:47 AM
ZettaSlowbro
Veteran

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
I hope so. They got plenty of time to polish everything up. I like the art style, it's very fitting for Pokemon. But technically, the 3DS is capable of MUCH more than this mess.

I don't see it. I'd take the first screenshot over the second any time.
I agree with this. In my opinion the battle graphics looked really nice, and like some nice work was put into it. however the over world graphics seemed unpolished; however they do have something like 10 months to work it out so I'm not too worried, but as of right now I feel the over world looks of just plain DS quality.
If they're going to make the jump to 3D they have to do it right, and not rush things.
They have my support, change can be scary but it's a game about evolving so the games have to grow as technology and the times change. Besides, it's easier to go with the flow rather then rejecting change completely.

White 2 FC: 4427 9506 5247
White FC: 1377 9722 4917
3DS FC: 1736 0570 0480
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:48 AM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
Having watched the reveal quite a few times, I'm slightly getting used to the graphics, but...even still I'm really disappointed. Personally, they look horrible. It may be a massive step forward (which is great!), and I know there are still 10 months before its release (so a ton of things can be fixed, edited etc), and perhaps I just need to get used to such a dramatic change, but as of the moment, from what I've seen, the developers of Pokemon are leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

The OW graphics are...well quite ugly, to put it simply. They're jagged and uneven, and the world doesn't look as natural as it does in previous games. I think the detail of the graphics themselves has been swept aside and disregarded by the hype of having Pokemon move to 3D. In regards to the battling mechanics (graphic wise), I'm quite intrigued. I just hope to god that moves don't take ages to be executed.

Having said that however, we've only been given a few minutes preview, so...there's not really much substance in which we can form an opinion on of the whole game. I'm always open to new things, and well, it was inevitable that Pokemon would some day reach 3D; but the massive change is what I think I'll have to get used to over time. (I've got 10 months anyway paha.)

Last edited by curiousnathan; January 8th, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Forever
let it go

I don't really like the graphics, but it's not that I'll go crazy over, given I disliked B/W's graphics at first and then fell in love with the region. While the graphics can be improved definitely, it's the region that'll get me hooked, not the graphics itself. I have enough imagination to make the graphics seem okay to me lmao.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
At first, I was kind of like "hey, that's neat"! Then I saw holy jaggy everything looked in stills. Eh. I'm not gonna buy it anyway, so none of that matters, but I'd hope it gets touched up for the rest of ya'll.

I really loved the intro. I saw Pikachu "talking" and was like "whoa". Then I read the disclaimer immediately at the bottom, and thought "so much for Pokemon having personality now". Maybe the next PMD, though.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Hoenn
» Mind games
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
We had a similar situation when Generation III was introduced on the GBA, it's the drastic change in graphics which was inevitable.

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
The graphics of this game are great. And to me, it looks that the battle are on the route/city/whatever itself and not a seperate battle scene.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Just a reminder that these graphics aren't final, so they could be improved by the time the games are released.

Honestly, taking the jump to full-blown 3D could be a risky move and it's probably best to see how well this style goes first.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:22 AM
slayerz96
Flygon Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Docile
The thing is:
- the footage may be taken from an earlier beta
- the graphics are blown up
- there is still ~10 months to release

I'm quite positive the graphics will be improved. I think the framerate will be back to 60fps, since there is a lot more to render now compared to Gen IV/V.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Mochi

The battle graphics and wild encounters are so cool, but I'm not a fan of the overworld either. If it's possible to slide the view from bird's eye to horizontal like that, then that'd be fine but with that horizontal view it looks so cluttered...

It's kind of funny to me how the fanmade RSE remake image of the male character standing with a Linoone on Route 114 even looks inferior to this and that's what I know a lot of people were hoping for xD
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:39 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I'm going to have to get used to the overworld but I think it is incredible (and such a huge jump too!) but those battle won't take any getting used to. Wow is all I really have to say about the graphics.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Yeah, it's definitely a nice improvement from the other games; even from B2W2. <3 'm really thrilled about the battle sequence; it looks more console-game like than pixelated; like if it was from Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD~ I'd love to see more of it though!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Can I simply say: Just amazing???

It's about damn time that Pokemon has finally arrived at this route, and it's no doubt that this was pretty much every Pokemon fan's dream: for the franchise to at least be as realistic(you know what I mean) as possible. Finally, no more 2D battle scenes(even with 3D Pokemon sprites, like in B/W), that fans have played through for so long, and it's been an exhausting journey, to finally hear the announcement of a Pokemon game that I think would truly top people's list of "Favorite Pokemon Game".

Of course, graphics alone can only say so much, and I agree with Zet that it isn't finished yet, but in this case, the graphics do indeed say a hell of a lot..
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Correspondence

The battle graphics are amazing but the overworld graphics are definitely different from the previous games which will take some getting used to.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:17 AM
smurf
Veteran Trainer

I personally will have to play the game to see if i like it or not as of right now im not to fond of it seems to advanced right now
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Sverige
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

Bearing in mind that we haven't seen it in 3D I think I'll wait a little.

The clip of the fire bursting from the floor looked epic though, and the new battle UI looked awesome.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Kai™
Unhatched Egg

It will take some getting used to but with the 3D effect I think it will look awesome, slightly bummed about no Hoenn remake but really no matter what Nintendo do I will buy Pokemon games, because they have had me hooked since the age of 4. I kinda skimmed the 5th gen games but these new ones look like they will bring a new golden age of all things pokemon!

Sig made by Issac.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Arlo

This is the only thing that really concerns me about these games. As a general rule, outside of the most carefully tailored and polished first person games, 3D graphics have been distractingly cheesy, and this is ESPECIALLY the case with past 3D Pokemon graphics. I've never understood the desire among fans for 3D graphics, since the 3D versions of Pokemon have always, absolutely without exception, looked worse than the sprites. At least the sprites, if one can only fill in that third dimension in the mind's eye (which has become easier with each generation, with the improvements in 2D graphics) have actually looked pretty much like Pokemon. The 3D ones never have. Not even close. They've never looked even vaguely like 3D renderings of Pokemon - they've always looked like exactly what they were - 3D meshes.

At least with the sprites, I could get drawn in and start watching the action and forget, if only for a while, that it was only a visual representation in a game. With the previous 3D meshes (and the upcoming ones, if the screenshots are anything to go by), I simply can't do that, since they're so obviously NOT Pokemon - they're meshes and they're always meshes and they never stop being meshes. They don't look 3D - they just look fake.

I guess we'll see though, hmm?
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:01 AM
TrainerTori
Growlithe Fan

Nature: Quiet
*fangirl scream*
OK. I am STOKED!!
I can understand a bit of disappointment with the textures, but HOLY COW this is leaps and BOUNDS beyond where they were!

I personally think it looks beautiful. Is it comparible to top of the line graphics - no, but I don't think that's Pokemon's edge.

Old January 8th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I feel like the graphics change was too much of a jump since all the games before X and Y had a similar graphics style whereas this is an entire overhaul of the visual style of the game. Definitely will miss the sprites a lot too, since I just don't have as much attachment for 3D Pokemon artwork, though I'm willing to bet I'll get attached quickly enough once we get more previews of the games.

So yeah... will take getting used to but still a change I welcome!

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
They really left the old Pokemon Graphics formula in the dust with X&Y, and I think it's about time they did, given the Graphics power of the 3DS. Even if the Pokemon are weird, the incredible graphics will sell this game.

Looks like I have a reason to hold onto mine now. XD
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:42 AM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Since Gen VI is going to be on the 3DS, obviously the perspective from in-game will longer be in a 2D view. How do you guys feel about this change in viewing perspective?

I think that a Pokemon game for the 3DS was overdue, but personally I still prefer the original top down, psuedo 3D view.

Also, I haven't seen this anywhere else, but if this has already been posted or being discussed somewhere else, feel free to close it.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
So, X and Y are set to be the first 3D Pokemon games. What do you think of this? What will it be like adapting to this sort of style? Do you prefer it in 3D by the looks? How do you think the game will be effected by the 3D aspect, if at all?

Discuss :3
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
xxkaylabby
cake the cat
Community Supporter

i like the 3D style, it looks more rpg. i wish you could customize the trainer too now. i'm excited to see the attacks in 3D. it'll look more like pokemon battle revolution!

|Theme|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here