The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:08 AM).
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
No I wouldn't say so. I don't have a 3DS at the moment but that's not stopping me. I'll be doing everything I can to get enough money to buy a 3DS. Looking for a job immediately when I get on tomorrow and I'm even willing to sell a few things (maybe even my old DS). The DS is a dying system and it needs to go now as sad as that seems. Pokemon are a very popular franchise, second most selling next to Super Mario Bros, and the fanbase is still large and growing. So I have no doubt that people will make the transition over to 3DS.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:30 AM).
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
Can you come up with a really good reason as to why they would come out with another DSi title?
No, not really, making it for 3DS makes the most sense, but it still sucks for people who can't/don't want to afford it. I'll probably end up getting it in a year or so when it's cheaper.

team super cotton ×
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:33 AM).
RingoH

I find this disappointing. The 3DS has been a major turn off. I have tried the 3DS and do not like playing with the 3D turned on as after a very short time it causes me to have a headache. I have been avoiding the 3DS, and the only reason I will likely buy it will be because I want to continue playing my favorite franchise.

I also think that many parents of younger kids that play Pokemon games likely have not bought their children 3DS's because of the safety warnings about the 3D being bad for the eyesight of anyone under 7... As a parent myself I wouldn't buy the system for ANY child because of that (Yes I know there is parental controls for that, but every kid finds a way to work around parental controls eventually).

I have felt all along that the 3D effect in a handheld is more of a novelty than anything that adds any actual game play functionality. If a game publishers wants to impress me, I want good solid game play, a good solid story, fun challenges to overcome. The Pokemon franchise has continued to keep me interested in gaming since Red/Blue, and keeps getting better with time. There is only one 3DS title I have seen that I had any interest in prior to this announcement, so in the long run I'll be purchasing the system just for a very few games (The other game is in the Proffessor Layton series, which I don't see justification for making that a 3DS title... and it was a launch title in Japan).
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:40 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
No, not really, making it for 3DS makes the most sense, but it still sucks for people who can't/don't want to afford it. I'll probably end up getting it in a year or so when it's cheaper.
This was what I was getting at. I know it has been out for a while, but people who, like Yoshikkko said, people who actually can't afford it or don't want to buy it, then it is difficult on them.
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:40 AM).
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Well since I personally don't have a 3DS or any money, I won't be getting it.

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:47 AM).
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
I think they will still release games to the DS lite,DSI and DS XL. Nintendo only wanted the game to be CLEARLY 3D because they want to make it cooler. CAN't WAIT FOR THE GAME! That 3D world looks amazing!

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old January 8th, 2013 (05:59 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Well, this game is just for the 3DS, so I can't see them going backwards and start releasing games for the previous versions, when they completely ignore them for this game! :O
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:00 AM).
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
This was what I was getting at. I know it has been out for a while, but people who, like Yoshikkko said, people who actually can't afford it or don't want to buy it, then it is difficult on them.
Yes but October is almost a year away and like I mentioned earlier, they are likely to reduce the price of a 3DS console by that time, which I think will make it affordable to most people. As for people who do not want to buy a 3DS console, well then fair enough but things are moving forward and Pokemon -like all other Nintendo games will eventually be made exclusively for the 3DS and there's really no stopping that. Besides if you look back, it used to be that each Pokemon game released would be for a new hand held console and that didn't stop people from playing them. The DS has had three different sets of Pokemon games for it, which has given people even more time to acquire a 3DS in preparation for X and Y.
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:07 AM).
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Nature: Lonely
Well, counting with inflation and other economics factor, by October, aren't 3DS price would be at the same range as DS when Gen IV first released?
I thought wouldn't be much of the problem actually. Its just people hesitation to buy new handheld that matter the most.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:10 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakow View Post
Yes but October is almost a year away and like I mentioned earlier, they are likely to reduce the price of a 3DS console by that time, which I think will make it affordable to most people. As for people who do not want to buy a 3DS console, well then fair enough but things are moving forward and Pokemon -like all other Nintendo games will eventually be made exclusively for the 3DS and there's really no stopping that. Besides if you look back, it used to be that each Pokemon game released would be for a new hand held console and that didn't stop people from playing them. The DS has had three different sets of Pokemon games for it, which has given people even more time to acquire a 3DS in preparation for X and Y.
Yeh, that is certainly true.
I think they will do just fine and there are over 10 months till the release date, so anything could happen then; a Pokemon X and Y 3DS to celebrate the release even.

I think Pokemon isn't going to die at all, but some people will be reluctant, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengar View Post
Well, counting with inflation and other economics factor, by October, aren't 3DS price would be at the same range as DS when Gen IV first released?
I thought wouldn't be much of the problem actually. Its just people hesitation to buy new handheld that matter the most.
I think the price will have dropped a bit by then, anyway. So maybe it just seems like a lot now, to people who are only interested in the Pokemon game. There are still 10 months for exciting games to be released.
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:11 AM). Edited January 8th, 2013 by Zorua.
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Agreeing so much with Drakow, as well as others who firmly believe that people have been kind of given more than enough time to purchase a 3DS.

And honestly, in my opinion? Most people should've saw this coming! Pokemon games aren't going to be released on the DS system forever, and even I was skeptical about getting a 3DS myself, when instead I just got it and figured that a Pokemon game was going to be released for it eventually, and look what we have here!

Just saying that no one should really be surprised here. You still have a good 8 or 9 months to save up if you want to get it at launch, so that's even more additional time to get a new system.

I apologize if this post might seem a bit blunt, but I just heavily dislike wasted opportunities, as I just believe that's something no one should really go through. Sure, there might be a few people here and there that can't really spare $150, but even then, there are some used ones(and even this one I found right here on Amazon. There's also one here on ebay for cheap, also) that sell for significantly lower than that.

It's a fair shame that it might catch some people off guard, and thus they might have the purchase the 3DS console(and let's be fair, it's not that bad of a system from my experience), but I feel that it'll be worth it in the long run.
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:13 AM).
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
it was inevitable, I'm glad I got a 3DS XL. Got a job partially for that reason haha. And to all those who said they'd nevedr have 3D sprites, ha.
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:27 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Agreeing so much with Drakow, as well as others who firmly believe that people have been kind of given more than enough time to purchase a 3DS.

And honestly, in my opinion? Most people should've saw this coming! Pokemon games aren't going to be released on the DS system forever, and even I was skeptical about getting a 3DS myself, when instead I just got it and figured that a Pokemon game was going to be released for it eventually, and look what we have here!

Just saying that no one should really be surprised here. You still have a good 8 or 9 months to save up if you want to get it at launch, so that's even more additional time to get a new system.

I apologize if this post might seem a bit blunt, but I just heavily dislike wasted opportunities, as I just believe that's something no one should really go through. Sure, there might be a few people here and there that can't really spare $150, but even then, there are some used ones(and even this one I found right here on Amazon. There's also one here on ebay for cheap, also) that sell for significantly lower than that.

It's a fair shame that it might catch some people off guard, and thus they might have the purchase the 3DS console(and let's be fair, it's not that bad of a system from my experience), but I feel that it'll be worth it in the long run.
Yeah, it is a fair enough post. If someone really wanted the game, but couldn't afford a new 3DS, you could get a second hand one. Granted, some people don't like doing that, but there are ways to get your hands on one. Just one more valid argument for one side.
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:38 AM).
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Admit it, my post sealed the deal on this debate and Twilight Sky just added the icing to my cake.
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:45 AM).
Hiroshi Sotomura

Worth saying, but I really wanted Pokémon to be on the 3DS. Why?

Because it's coming in a download edition on the eShop, that's why.
And that's why being a 3DS title is so damn awesome.

That having been said, I guess I'll get a boxed copy anyway.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:47 AM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I'm glad it's coming out for the 3DS, it's about time. I don't think it'll be the end of Pokemon - people will just upgrade to the 3DS, like they did with the NDS when Diamond and Pearl came out.

As they should too, it's an amazing system and so many people bash it unnecessarily :\

It can play original NDS games as well as the 3DS games [obv] and has a great eShop selection, fun apps, and quirks like StreetPass. It really is a huge step up from the NDS.

Old January 8th, 2013 (06:48 AM).
Nakuzami
The Savior
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Now we know the game is for the 3DS only, do you think this will cut down on the audience that can be targeted? The Pokemon games have always followed the trend of going onto a new handheld, but with the 3DS being the 'newest' console and some people not being able to afford it, do you think it will hurt the amount of people who can actually play the game?

Do you think that enough people have the 3DS? Do you think it is just how the games industry flows, going onto a new console? Do you think it is fair? What do you think of the lack of DS editions?
Come on: it's pokemon. The fact that it's heading to the 3DS will probably make a million and one people buy the 3DS, rather than cause fans to drop out. I know I'm going to. I've wanted a 3DS for a little while now, but the only game I seriously wanted was Kingdom Hearts 3D. Now that we have a sixth gen. of pokemon, I have an excuse to get one.

And, technically speaking, I think the Vita and Wii U are newer than the 3DS? ;3

Sadly, since I'm at school, I'm unable to view most of the videos and pictures relating to X and Y, so I really only see the starters and some overworld shots. (But, my God, these were announced hours ago and we already have an entire forum section for them? @_@)

The fact that this game already seems . . . so extremely different almost justifies it moving to the 3DS. In fact, I think it kind of does. Although, I'm not yet sure if that's necessarily a good thing. X.x
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:48 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
Worth saying, but I really wanted Pokémon to be on the 3DS. Why?

Because it's coming in a download edition on the eShop, that's why.
And that's why being a 3DS title is so damn awesome.

That having been said, I guess I'll get a boxed copy anyway.
Ahhh, the great debate between physical vs digital. I would take the physical copy any day! But that aspect might help some people who are unsure abotu the 3DS.

It is a better console, some would argue, than the DS/i, so maybe it is just time for people to accept?
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:49 AM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Quote:
The games industry has to move forward and the gamers have to follow, so some people could just see this as a 'normal' thing to happen. But with the lack of DS games, is it fair?
It's never been 'fair', arguably. Video games is a business after all, so Nintendo (and other companies) want to keep pushing the newer product sooner or later, and now is the time. 2 years after the 3DS went live is not too bad a wait, and this game isn't out for another 10 months either. Plenty of time to save up for a used console for example if you really only want to play Pokemon (and this is assuming no other Pokemon 3DS titles over the next few years, which isn't a sound asusmption). Plus you're going to get more titles that may interest you too down the track. On top of OoT, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, etc, you've got Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Brothers, etc to expect sooner or later. If not one of those gets you at least mildly interested then you're likely part of the minority, and this is all about appealing to as many people as possible. (After all, if one game doesn't appeal to someone another may. Now it's just Pokemon's turn to jump the gap, so to speak).

At any rate, this won't kill the franchise whatsoever. 3DS sales are already quite fine now (see Went's post), and just look at how the internet responded to the livestream to see the current interest in Pokemon (on top of sale figures for 5th gen, etc). Pokemon isn't going anywhere due to this besides forward. (DS' will stop being manufactured sooner or later too, anyways).
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:51 AM).
NatureKeeper
No longer active here.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NatureKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to NatureKeeper
No way. It's the other way around. Nintendo just sold the 3DS.

And no to the whole one game only thing, some people buy their systems for one game. In any case the Nintendo 3DS isn't that expensive for people to need a whole library for it. I bought my DS for only Pokemon games, and ditto for my GBA. My 3DS was bought in anticipation, and boy was I redeemed. 2 years late.
Old January 8th, 2013 (06:53 AM).
Correspondence

I think it was definitely the right step to take.Pokemon was been the DS for way too long and the new 3D graphics will probably reel in more fans.
Old January 8th, 2013 (07:03 AM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Ahhh, the great debate between physical vs digital. I would take the physical copy any day! But that aspect might help some people who are unsure abotu the 3DS.

It is a better console, some would argue, than the DS/i, so maybe it is just time for people to accept?
Yeahh I'd go for physical but still I'd say the majority will go for physical anyway given that many won't trust the downloads I assume (or at least the parents might not). Not that it's a negative of it being on the 3DS though.
Old January 8th, 2013 (07:27 AM).
Went
Marshtomp

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate PKMN Trainer Red View Post
I think they will still release games to the DS lite,DSI and DS XL. Nintendo only wanted the game to be CLEARLY 3D because they want to make it cooler. CAN't WAIT FOR THE GAME! That 3D world looks amazing!
The DS/i/XL are dead. Done for. Discontinued. No major game (and barely any new games at all) will ever be released for the DS anymore. It's like making games for the GBA or the Gamecube, or building IE-6 compatible websites: a waste of time when you could be doing bigger and better things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingoH
I find this disappointing. The 3DS has been a major turn off. I have tried the 3DS and do not like playing with the 3D turned on as after a very short time it causes me to have a headache. I have been avoiding the 3DS, and the only reason I will likely buy it will be because I want to continue playing my favorite franchise.

I also think that many parents of younger kids that play Pokemon games likely have not bought their children 3DS's because of the safety warnings about the 3D being bad for the eyesight of anyone under 7... As a parent myself I wouldn't buy the system for ANY child because of that (Yes I know there is parental controls for that, but every kid finds a way to work around parental controls eventually).

I have felt all along that the 3D effect in a handheld is more of a novelty than anything that adds any actual game play functionality. If a game publishers wants to impress me, I want good solid game play, a good solid story, fun challenges to overcome. The Pokemon franchise has continued to keep me interested in gaming since Red/Blue, and keeps getting better with time. There is only one 3DS title I have seen that I had any interest in prior to this announcement, so in the long run I'll be purchasing the system just for a very few games (The other game is in the Proffessor Layton series, which I don't see justification for making that a 3DS title... and it was a launch title in Japan).
Turn the 3D effect off and your first two paragraphs are solved- and control your kid better if you need to, after all, the same booklet warning about possible issues also tells you to check on your child while they play games. Otherwise, the 3DS is just a DS-2: the same thing, but with better graphics, better music, better capabilities, more controls... Like the GBA to GB; the PS3 to PS2 to PS1; the SNES to NES. Nothing less, nothing more, nothing that hasn't happened a million times already.
Old January 8th, 2013 (07:33 AM).
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
And the vision warnings for children are there to cover Nintendo's ass if something happens, not when it happens. Some people experience no problems ever with the 3D, even children - it's one of those things that varies.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old January 8th, 2013 (07:35 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
Not really, because if anything, a main Pokemon game will only increase the 3DS's sales. The only question is, will Pokemon X and Y surpass the sales of Red/Blue/Green/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links