• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Take a friend with you! (Rivals)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Rivals/friends. Unova strayed from the common "mean"/competitive rival, and instead went with childhood friends. Would you like to see something like in B/W with two childhood friends, something like the rivals of earlier generations, or a rival like the one in B2/W2, or something new completely? Discuss!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I personally like the childhoods friends idea more, and it would be so awesome if you could name them and change there outfit/characteristics! That would be awesome!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Hey May/Brandon and weren't mean rivals at all... just strangers who became rivals with you. And Barry wasn't either towards you and he was a childhood friend (Unova isn't too special you know)

Anyways on topic: I don't think they will. Likely they'll be childhood friend once more like with Sinnoh and Unova.

Years
I'm fairly sure there's one point in the video where the male protagonist is running in a forest, and there's a girl following behind him. (I'm pretty sure). That's what I thought this thread was going to be about (maybe she was the rival?)

I really don't know. I think all the rivals have been fairly different right up to now:
We had Blue, who was immature and bratty but a good trainer.
We had Silver/whatever, who was nearly evil but eventually saw what he was becoming.
We had Wally, who is only battled twice in the story but still grows a lot. We also had Brendan and May but they barely count, to be fair.
We then had Pearl/Barry/whatever. He was hyperactive and simply grew- a lot- as a Trainer.

I think N counted as your true Rival in BW, and Cheren/Bianca were.. different Rivals. :P But they all had REALLY interesting stories, which was refreshing and simply great.
Just like Hugh in B2W2, who wanted to be a great trainer and also had.. well, anger issues with Team Plasma.

I just hope they manage to make the new rival(s) as interesting as all of them so far!

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
A rival like in gen I and II. As much as I hated just finishing the gym and coming out and having to fight Gary straight after, it makes it much more exciting and challenging.

Years
I'd like a rival to be honest. Gives you that sense of competition, that desire to beat his ass - the same feeling you get when you're pounding down on the team whoever members. I just didn't get that rush of adrenalin when facing off against Bianca / Cheren or even Hugh who was supposed to be true mixture of rival and ally. It could be interesting if you and the rival do team up stuff as well - though begrudgingly working together. Would be good I think.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Me too, feels like having a rival than childhood friend.Sorta like Green/Blue with jerk personality but also having soft side as a friend. Also, female rival. Like the one I mention. Please Game Freak, A female rival with high competitive spirits, jerk personality like Green but also have friendly side.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
The 'Childhood Friends' motif was pretty boring imo. I've always considered a rival to be someone like Gary, Red and Paul, who are particularly cold yet cool and are individuals who just make you ooze with determination to stomp them in the face one day.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I actually missed "mean" rivals and hopefully there will be one in the new games or GF could put a "mean' as well as a friendly rival in the game.That would be interesting.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Awww, Giradialkia said what I was going to say! In the forest, there were the hero of the game running and a girl following him. And I'm hoping there will be, like, four rivals. It makes the storyline so much better! But the main rival, I'm hoping for childhood friend.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I'd prefer if the game went back to the more traditional one dark rival. Nothing felt better than beating Silver or Green back in the day.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
A rival like in gen I and II. As much as I hated just finishing the gym and coming out and having to fight Gary straight after, it makes it much more exciting and challenging.

I'd like a rival to be honest. Gives you that sense of competition, that desire to beat his ass - the same feeling you get when you're pounding down on the team whoever members. I just didn't get that rush of adrenalin when facing off against Bianca / Cheren or even Hugh who was supposed to be true mixture of rival and ally. It could be interesting if you and the rival do team up stuff as well - though begrudgingly working together. Would be good I think.
What they said.

I actually missed "mean" rivals and hopefully there will be one in the new games or GF could put a "mean' as well as a friendly rival in the game.That would be interesting.
Kind of like with Silver and Lyra in HG/SS?

I definitely want a meaner rival. Hoenn was wonderful in many ways, but I was really disappointed that you had no Silver- or Green-like person who came around to annoy you at times. Meeting Green in Kanto was the most thrilling times, especially since he was the boss at the very end. Silver's story was interesting with his grudge against Team Rocket and need to be strong.

I'm going to wish for a rival with a darker history, hopefully more along the lines of Silver than Green. The Unova approach was interesting, especially since you met them and interacted more often. But Brendan/May and Lucas/Dawn were just... just there to make the game seem nicer for kids, I feel.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
I'd like to see a Blue/Silver-esque rival most of all. It would be especially cool if we had a female rival like one of those two. But I think overall, I don't mind too much if the rival is interesting or has some sort of story/motivations - a la our Gen 5 rivals.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'm on board with with a rival being like Gen I and Gen II as well. Maybe make it so like you have one rival like Blue / Silver, but at the same time, you'd have another rival like N / Cheren / Hugh? Eh, I'ts just, I'm sorta bored with the childhood rivals too. xD They are too friendly tbh!

☆aqua☆

Ace Trainer!! :p
Years
if you could name them and change there outfit/characteristics! That would be awesome!

Squirtle agrees about changing the clothes!! Especially with your character! Squirtle doesn't understand how you humans wear the same clothes everyday!! >.<

Squirtle liked Hugh because he cared about his family, but Silver was cool too (but Squirtle doesn't think he knows what "weak" and "strong" means...)
But since we don't get to choose the rival's personality (unless what Zupplu said is what they do!) Squirtle guesses we just wait and see! :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I prefer another rival like Gary/Blue, where there is a very fient "Hey, we could actually become really good friends." feeling you get when the characters interact with each other, and there's a really competitive "I'm better than you and there's nothing you can do about it." condescending attitude from the rival.

Years
I also thought this was about characters following you. I thought there might have been some kind of multiplayer mode that let you and a friend travel around together like that.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked that your rivals were childhood friends in BW and I'd like something similar, perhaps even more characters. I'd just like a lot more characters.

Back