The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I can see many people's opinion changing once we found out the evolutionary lines, that's usually the case.
Yep! A lot of people went with Serperior once they found out Snivy evolved into it.

...Of course, Snivy was already pretty popular in the first place. I wonder if the same thing will happen to Chespin.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Castform
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I am soooo excited I really dont even care who I pick tbh, but I guess I will start with Fennekin it is so cute.

Old January 8th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Blade_of_darkness
War Machine
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Hmm... it's tough for me to say.

I think that Fennekin would be my pick at first glance, but I'll have to see the stats & move pools for all three before I can really decide what I would pick. After all, looks don't matter to me, it's the stats & move pool that matters.

If either or both of those are a flop like with the B/W starters, I'll be like, "Dammit, Gamefreak! You screwed up the starters again!"

^ The last thing you see before you die ^
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
At the moment, I'm definitely going with Fennekin, though they're all starting to look awesome to me. Though my opinion may change depending on what the evolutions look like.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Dmatt
Medium-Rare Trainer

OK, I just re watched the video and it's so clear that they did the most amazing thing yet with the starters.... They made them Fire/Psychic , Grass/Dark , and Water/Fighting !!!!! Just look at the trademark colors for the second attack they all use... Purple waves for the Grass one (i.e. Shadow attacks from Dark pokemon). Pink waves for the Fox (every psychic attack since, ever), and punches for the Frog! I love this kind of balance (if this indeed turns out to be true) and it's a very nice touch.
White : 0905 9140 0338

My thread: Trades, EV services, Breeding. Clicky.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Kirozane
Frolic and fun~
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Kirozane Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirozane Send a message via Skype™ to Kirozane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryan143 View Post
I now start loving Fennekin. I never thought of a Fire Fox and it's a reality now!
Vulpix is a fire fox. But I'm guessing you meant starters...
To pertain to the topic, I think I may start with aforementioned fire fennec. At least in one of them....
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Andrut
Collecting dust since 1898

Basiing on first impressions, I'd choose Chespin. Fennekin is yet another Zorua/Riolu and I hate those. Froakie looks boring, it might have interesting evolutions though.
Secondary type predictions:
Chespin - Ground/Grass
Fennekin - can be anything. Depends on evos.
Froakie - Psychic/Poison
It's a forest guardian that pities how bad a type Grass is, so it gets moves to help out Grass-types, but is smart enough not to be Grass-type itself. The appearance is simply mimicry to hide from humans.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:40 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatt View Post
OK, I just re watched the video and it's so clear that they did the most amazing thing yet with the starters.... They made them Fire/Psychic , Grass/Dark , and Water/Fighting !!!!! Just look at the trademark colors for the second attack they all use... Purple waves for the Grass one (i.e. Shadow attacks from Dark pokemon). Pink waves for the Fox (every psychic attack since, ever), and punches for the Frog! I love this kind of balance (if this indeed turns out to be true) and it's a very nice touch.
Nearly perfect balance that would be, that would be great :D
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:41 AM
dabidpelix
Unhatched Egg

FROG!! YESSSSSS hopefully the new pokemon will look better then what we've seen so far
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
The Grass and Water starters are probably the ugliest ones out of all six gens, honestly. That fox though. That thing. Yeah. That right there. Is adorable. And if they ruin its final evo by making it Fire/Fighting, I will be MAD.

POPWAR'S BUNNY
get on baboon's level ho
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Paradise3
Unhatched Egg

I sure hope Fennekin won't become a fighting type... lol

I am a little tired of Fire/Fighting starters. XD Cyndaquil is my favorite Fire starter so far...

I like Fennekin's design best of the three but I won't make my call as to who I like best overall until we get evolutions and the secondary types (if any), and stats, movesets, etc. I didn't like Oshawott that much at first but now it's my favorite starter in 5th gen, after I learned its moveset and stats and stuff.

I'm really happy they revealed all the names together, for the different languages. I feel like they might do that for future Pokemon reveals too... I think that'd be pretty awesome anyway. Because they probably have them all decided... They have to at about the same time anyway because it's gonna be released at the same time.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Raczack
Gunslinger

Nature: Quirky
Chespin looks pretty spiffy. I haven't liked a grass starter since Red/Blue, so I am kinda setting my hopes on him not turning into something lame. That, and I can't well go with Fennekin as my buddy has always wanted a fennec fox for a pet. Pretty sure he has that one claimed.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Dmatt
Medium-Rare Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
Nearly perfect balance that would be, that would be great :D
Yeah, it's been due for ages now, and they "kinda" delivered with D/P, but this is really neat. I got a thing for balance :D
White : 0905 9140 0338

My thread: Trades, EV services, Breeding. Clicky.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Is it just me, or do the new starters look more like fakemon? Maybe one of the new artists they hired for Gen VI was a fakemon designer? Also, every Grass starter is suppose to have a reptilian appearance, but Chespin looks something like a Gopher/Groundhog hybrid, which isn't suitable as a starter. Fennekin looks like Vulpix and Victini's love child given that they're all based off of foxes, but isn't Fennekin based on the same species of fox Victini is based off of? I wonder what species of frog they used this time that inspired Froakie's design? I know the Politoed is a generic frog and the Croagunk line is based on poison dart frogs (the Seismitoad line is based on toads, who are different from frogs).
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
I am not 100% until more info is revealed, but as of now I'll probably be going with Chespin because it SO DARN CUTE. I want this grass type to overshadow the bad grass types out there, and it'll be strong I hope (:

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:08 AM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Nature: Relaxed
I hope Chespin's shiny form is Blue since it's based on a hedgehog(Look what it's japanese name means)
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:30 AM
rainerman3
The Guy With THE Aura

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to rainerman3
Since I'm a grass type enthusiast, I'll be going with Chespin. And it looks awesome. :3 Grass types rule and fire types drool! xD Kidding.
Pokeanalysis: You are very mysterious like the ocean abyss, choosing not to give away your true intentions and feelings. People don't know much about you, as you don't strive to be the center of attention like most people. You love your close friends and would do anything to protect them and defend them. You are kind and intelligent, and very powerful. You are a lover of peace and tranquility and hate meaningless violence. This makes you like Lugia!
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Eeveelution Co-ordinator
Budding Breeder/Co-ordinator

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Eeveelution Co-ordinator
fennekin is really cute, so shes mine!

White 2:
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

Fenekkin is cute and i am sure its evolutions will be as well.I am not impressed with the other two

White 2:4814-8483-7594

3DS:4871 4138 8216
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Xeninacra
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
Don't know why but the Grass-type starter just doesn't look like a Pokemon to me... Anyway, I think they did great with the Fire-type and Water-type starter, I like them both (and I consider them cuter than Tepig and Oshawott themselves). I still like Snivy more than Chespin

My favourite starter is Froakie (after being a while deciding if I liked more Fennekin). The more I look at them, the more I want to start a new game in Pokemon X/Y!

Allez, hop!
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Sheep
MUFFINS ya pls

They're all ridiculously adorable so I'm going to have a very hard time choosing this time around. Probably between the water and fire starters to me this time around, though Froakie is just so adorable. D:

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Sverige
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

They all look so good this time round! The fire one looks familiar but good nonetheless.

I wonder if we'll have any dual types (please no Fire/Fighting!)...
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:47 AM
AliceBlaze
Shiny Collector

Nature: Lonely
I'll choose Fennekin because I like fire types and I've always wanted a Pokemon based on a fennec fox.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Chevitile
Little Monster

When I first saw the starters, I thought they were all very well-done and cute. At second glance, I could see some resemblance to other already-existing Pokémon...but still, I like them a lot. My first guesses were Grass/Fighting, Water/Poison and...Fire/Normal. But after seeing the video, I agree on Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting and Fire/Psychic. It would be very cool if that happened, because Dark/Fighting/Psychic work in a trio similar to Water/Grass/Fire.

I - LIVE - FOR - THE - APPLAUSE
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

I'll go with Fennekin for now, since I usually gor for the fire-type, but I won't be making any real decisions until I find out what their base stats are.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links