• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
It was bound to happen eventually. 3DS is the current generation handheld system. I'm pretty sure some of the people arguing that buying a 3DS just to play these games haven't considered, maybe, that was the reason people bought a DS as well? That's certainly why I got a DS when Diamond and Pearl came out. Though, the 3DS is significantly more expensive.

But it just seems to me like common sense that Gen VI would be on 3DS.

Rou.Tsuki

It's happy hour somewhere...
Years
I have to say, I'm glad that they are releasing Pokemon for 3DS. It will push the system sales up by getting people to buy either the original (more color options) or the bigger XL version (red and blue, really?) to play the popular series. It makes sense, profit-wise because they are selling the system for lower than production cost.
When I bought my 3DS over the summer (b-day present to self in Midnight Purple), I was disappointed in how... pixelated B/W was on the system. Don't get me wrong, it looked great on the DSlite and still better than previous incarnations. But since this announcement though, I'm going to bypass the B2/W2 for the October release of the new game.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
put it this way.... if you really love pokemon, YOU WILL buy a 3ds if you don't already own one, the whole reason I got a GBA was for Pokemon Sapphire, and the 3DS has almost outsold the Gamecube already so they have a potential audience of 20 million even if no one else ever buys a 3DS, and pokemon games are usually the highest selling games on any Nintendo handheld

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 21, 2021
Well, no.
With Starfox 64 3D, Mario Kart 7, Ocarina of time, and coming out soon, Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion 2, there is more incentive to get a 3DS. But Pokemon will definitely be a deciding factor for many people.

droomph

weeb
Years
I got the DS for Pokémon Diamond, wtf wouldn't I do the same for Gen 6?

I say, $170/$200 was what I shelled out for a DS, so I'm not too bummed out to do that again.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Personally I'm delighted that the new games are for the 3DS. From the trailer that was shown the 3D element of the games looks absolutely amazing and I think it'll completely revolutionise Pokémon, so I can't wait to find out just how good it is in person! It's a shame that not everyone has a 3DS yet and that people could miss out as a result, but I think producing the best quality of game possible is far more important to worry about.

Years
It's about time they made the switch for the 3DS given how long it's been out. The regular 'ol DS has been out for six years now, if I remember right, so it was time to move on and utilize what the 3DS had to offer. I got mine for Christmas and am now very glad I did so~ doubt it'd hurt sales as there are a lot of other great titles for the 3DS that make it worth getting.

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
Wow. I'd say it's a ridiculous claim to think that going exclusive for 3DS is going to kill the pokemon line.

as others have said, we bought DS's for pokemon pearl and such, eventually we'll suck it up and get 3Ds

It's progression, pokemon had to jump on the bandwagon eventually.

They're honestly not /that/ expensive used anymore.
I traded in my old beat up 16gig ipod G3 (for ~70$)I dragged out of a drawer and got my 3DS from gamestop for 50$ back in june.
(Actually, I first traded it in for a DS Lite, had issues with it so I took it back and all they had were DSi's and I had that and the wifi on it sucked so then I took THAT back on got a 3DS - yay gamestop 7 day no question return policy 8D)

Years
that's like saying the release of Ruby and Sapphire on the GBA was the end of pokemon bacause there was no backwards compatability. no such thing. its just moving with the times. the DS should feel priveliged to get 2 generations on it. plus, it can trade with X and Y, so it is still useful.

Last edited:

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
I'm actually starting to budget in a 3DS already. I wanted one for Kingdom Hearts DDD but I haven't found a good enough reason to buy it yet. I've been wanting to get one, anyway, so it works out nice that there's a new pokemon game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
that's like saying the release of Ruby and Sapphire on the GBA was the end of pokemon bacause there was no backwards compatability. no such thing. its just moving with the times. the DS should feel priveliged to get 2 generations on it. plus, it can trade with X and Y, so it is still useful.
That's eggggactly what I was thinking. The DS is the only game system that had two generations of Pokémon games on it, and yet, lord have mercy some of the reactions to moving to the most up-to-date system really make me scratch my head.

Years
Just checked my country's Gamestop ripoff (Brloh) to see how much would a 3DS cost. Big derp. It's about 180€, hardly affordable for me at the time. I don't even have BW2 yet, I think I'll just have to buy Z version when it comes out. Come to think of it, I bought the DS WITH my White version. I don't really think I won't buy a 3DS without Z (once again I have no idea if there will be a Z version). Maybe for the OOT. MAAAAYBE.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's more like a rebirth of Pokemon to me. :)

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
While I'm sure that the answer is no, my answer is yes. I have almost no disposable income, and I barely break out my DS to play White anymore. Heck, I still haven't gotten my hands on White 2 because I don't want to spend $30 on a game. Were I still at the age I could get my parents to buy me the 3DS for my birthday or something, then I'd do it but I'm not, so. *shrug* Plus, the main reason I'm personally interested in Pokemon these days is spriting and I'm not sure how MS Paint compatible X & Y are going to be. Not looking too good at this point. But damn if those graphics don't look lovely.

Maybe, maybe if I can get a decent trade in price for my DS and the games I never intend on picking up again.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Nope, every pokemon game gen I-IV we've had a new console. Just following on from the original series and not making the mistakes of BL/Bl2

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
3DS doesn't have the backwards compatibility of the DS though.

Back