The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaichiWind View Post
Although I admit the graphics are really top-notch (what less would you expect on a freaking 3DS)
The same system that gave us these?
Spoiler:

Sorry, but I've owned a 3DS since launch and I expected much more from the graphics. The overworld in particular is something you'd see on the DS. The battles aren't much either, the effects look lazy and the models are plain looking and lack charisma. The backgrounds especially are ugly.

3D has always been hit or miss, and we are way past the days when they're still something completely mindblowing. 2D always managed to look timeless...but Pokemon X/Y right now looks dated already. I get what they're trying to get with the artstyle, but it's not fit for 3D at all.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Spoiler:

Sorry, but I've owned a 3DS since launch and I expected much more from the graphics. The overworld in particular is something you'd see on the DS. The battles aren't much either, the effects look lazy and the models are plain looking and lack charisma. The backgrounds especially are ugly.

3D has always been hit or miss, and we are way past the days when they're still something completely mindblowing. 2D always managed to look timeless...but Pokemon X/Y right now looks dated already. I get what they're trying to get with the artstyle, but it's not fit for 3D at all.
I have to agree. My first impressions were that the graphics didn't look like anything special. But perhaps we're just getting a look at unfinished graphics? Something they rushed for this announcement?

deviantart blog pair
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:20 AM
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I have to agree. My first impressions were that the graphics didn't look like anything special. But perhaps we're just getting a look at unfinished graphics? Something they rushed for this announcement?
I doubt they're unfinished or rushed graphics. I expect at least a few departments were already working on Gen 6 before B2/W2 were even released.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Spinosaurus

That's what I'm hoping for. I'd have excused the graphics if they wanted this to run at 60fps, but the framerate is the worst offender of them all, actually. It looked like 20fps from the trailer, 15fps maybe. The battles would have gained way more if it ran on a good, steady framerate.

I hope they fix at least one of them. I managed to play through MGS3 3DS because how great it looked on 3D mode, so I excused the framerate.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; January 8th, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
They have another 9 months before the release, there's enough time to improve them.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Spinosaurus

Graphics aside there's one thing I hope they fix: The encounters. I've said it in one thread, but they better get rid of random encounters. It's a dated and tired mechanics, one that has no purpose and is just annoying. They got 3D models, so it can't be hard to make them visible in the overworld. This way you get to choose if you want to fight them or not, without having to click the run button 10 times every 5 minutes.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; January 8th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
Random encounters is a common thing for JRPGs, and it also ruins the feeling of being patient to catch a rare Pokemon (not to mention game-breaker material).
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Spinosaurus

You ever played any modern JRPG? I'm 99% sure Pokemon is the ONLY RPG that still uses random encounters.

You don't need random encounter to get surprised of getting a rare Pokemon nor does do you need to it to reward patience. Hell just seeing it in the overworld alone is a surprise on its own, and if they don't want you to catch it easily it can run away instead of trying to attack you. I know in Persona 3 when you find a rare shadow it'll run away right when it sees you.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

It would be good to interact with Wild Pokemon rather than having encounters but from the images, it still looks like there are grass patches for it.

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

They sort of did that already for the Pokemon Ranger games, in which it wasn't bad! I'd be on board with that for a change~ But I dunno, from the trailer, it doesn't look like it changed; except for the encounter intro.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Spinosaurus

Ugh yeah I just noticed. This is one change that I feel is absolutely crucial, but they didn't go with it. Disappointing.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:00 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

The only reason I can see in favor of excusing the poor graphics is the sheer mass of data required in a Pokemon game, as well as it being a completely connected overworld with no loading times between areas. If there were loading times between areas, I would be appalled and it would be a massive change from past Pokemon games.

That and GameFreak isn't exactly known for maximizing the graphics potential of a system, especially on their first release for a system.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
The only reason I can see in favor of excusing the poor graphics is the sheer mass of data required in a Pokemon game, as well as it being a completely connected overworld with no loading times between areas.

That and GameFreak isn't exactly known for maximizing the graphics potential of a system, especially on their first release for a system.
Yeh, I thought that it might be due to the high amount of other data cutting down on the graphical capabilities.

We also have to keep in mind that they are only demos, as far as we are aware, so they could have cleaned it up by release.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
They sort of did that already for the Pokemon Ranger games, in which it wasn't bad! I'd be on board with that for a change~ But I dunno, from the trailer, it doesn't look like it changed; except for the encounter intro.
But that was an entirely different game, in which catching them all wasn't the main goal. The purpose of random encounters in the main game is the fact that you have no idea which Pokemon will come out of the grass/cave/water for you to catch for your collection. That's why they have a rarity ratio in each location. Besides, with the existence of repels and the introduction of asking you if you want to use another one is what helps the annoyance.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
But that was an entirely different game, in which catching them all wasn't the main goal. The purpose of random encounters in the main game is the fact that you have no idea which Pokemon will come out of the grass/cave/water for you to catch for your collection. That's why they have a rarity ratio in each location. Besides, with the existence of repels and the introduction of asking you if you want to use another one is what helps the annoyance.
But it was an non-random-encounter sort of pokemon game, so it was hopeful that they might of done the same for this game. D= Still, there's still no reason that this sort of style can play onto the rarity of pokemon; I dunno, the could of set it so that there is still a 'chance' that you might encounter a rare pokemon, or even a shiny pokemon. Eh.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Spoiler:

This! I feel like the 3Ds can really push it. I could understand though, not making the quality too high because that means TONS of work for the animators! I see how this could've affected them trying to find a middle ground between 3D and 2D. Think Crystal for gbc I guess!
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
Personally I would love if they had somewhere between 120 and 150 new pokemon. (maybe around 130 like with Hoenn) Then on top of that 100 old pokemon....

However the twist is that those 100 old pokemon are completely different depending on the version you play. Which would make for a total of approximately 220-250 pokemon in each version and 320-350 between both versions. I think it would be exciting to have a big pokedex plus such a large amount of exclusives. Bigger and bolder than ever with the jump to the 3DS! :D

(I do hope they add more than they added to the second and fourth gens, it's surprising but I do feel the extra 20-30 or so pokemon add a lot to the experience.)
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Barker
I'm drifting in deep waters..

Nature: Quiet
Of course this is announced within a month of me selling my 3DS..

Very excited about the move to 3D.. not so crazy about how it looks though. Hopefully they'll improve things in that regard.

And not to be "that guy", but I suppose this is where hacking ends?
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
You guys are just jelly that you couldn't make a game like them <3 primarily because of copyright issues but whatever.

I think it's fine! I suppose that at the higher graphics, the smooth skin would look odd, and would be a sudden jump from the previous games. I think it's fine to move on, but just steadily. Revamping the series will make it lose that feel it originally had.

Though I will say there is something off about the painfully thin-looking OW sprites. I'm used to Chubby McChubchubs, I'll just get used to it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barker View Post

Very excited about the move to 3D.. not so crazy about how it looks though. Hopefully they'll improve things in that regard.

For the poor people, at least.

If you want to hack anything above Gen 3, you'll have to 1) steal Nintendo's gizmos, and then 2) buy one or two things at a total of $5000.

So it hasn't ended, it's just an "elite" sport now.

And even if, it wouldn't end. We haven't exhausted the good Gen 3 hacks yet! We can work on that for years to come. We still haven't figured out most things (eg character animations) so there's no sense in rushing forward!

Last edited by droomph; January 8th, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Kizerzin

Something random I noticed the titles seem to reference the transition to 3D and genetics at the same time with X (The X Chromosome or the X horizontal plane) and Y (Y chromosome and the Y Vertical Plane). The Legendaries further the reference to 3D with the Y Legendary being Airborne (Vertical) and the X Legendary being Landlocked (Horizontal). Now we just need a Z third version and the 3D references will be complete.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barker View Post

As someone in another thread said, if people have managed to hack the Wii, I'm sure it's a matter of time before they hack the 3DS too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizerzin View Post
Something random I noticed the titles seem to reference the transition to 3D and genetics at the same time with X (The X Chromosome or the X horizontal plane) and Y (Y chromosome and the Y Vertical Plane). The Legendaries further the reference to 3D with the Y Legendary being Airborne (Vertical) and the X Legendary being Landlocked (Horizontal). Now we just need a Z third version and the 3D references will be complete.
That's an interesting thought and actually makes a lot of sense.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

I think it will take some time to hack the 3DS, I've read that it's much more difficult to hack than the DS.

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
You guys are just jelly that you couldn't make a game like them <3 primarily because of copyright issues but whatever.

I think it's fine! I suppose that at the higher graphics, the smooth skin would look odd, and would be a sudden jump from the previous games. I think it's fine to move on, but just steadily. Revamping the series will make it lose that feel it originally had.

Though I will say there is something off about the painfully thin-looking OW sprites. I'm used to Chubby McChubchubs, I'll just get used to it I guess.

For the poor people, at least.

If you want to hack anything above Gen 3, you'll have to 1) steal Nintendo's gizmos, and then 2) buy one or two things at a total of $5000.

So it hasn't ended, it's just an "elite" sport now.

And even if, it wouldn't end. We haven't exhausted the good Gen 3 hacks yet! We can work on that for years to come. We still haven't figured out most things (eg character animations) so there's no sense in rushing forward!
Time now to develop pokemon for iOS and Android am I right? Hahaha!

I know nothing about hacking..

And I like the chubby sprites too! That's why the original pikachu sprite was the best! SO CHUBBY AND CUTE!
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Perico
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
The only reason I can see in favor of excusing the poor graphics is the sheer mass of data required in a Pokemon game, as well as it being a completely connected overworld with no loading times between areas. If there were loading times between areas, I would be appalled and it would be a massive change from past Pokemon games.
No way. 3DS cartridges have a maximum capacity of 4GB. Take a look at Resident Evil Revelations. It's a 4GB 3DS game, amazing and (allow me to say) flawless graphics. And the online works perfectly btw.

And of course the world won't be connected. In fact, it's never been. You just don't notice because when you're going on a different route you walk inside this:

And with this 3D game we might even have load times between routes (unlike current games).

Quote:
I agree with that, but they should stop doing that.

Allez, hop!
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Oh god loading times between each battle.. that's gonna be atrocious.. @___@ Hopefully it doesn't lag too hard..
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links