The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Forever
let it go

While it's been discussed a bit in the past, do you think it's a possibility for these games? Given that it's 3D, a whole new world, voice acting might be a little more possible (other than the voices in music in the Unova era). Would you like to have voice acting in these games? To what extent? Would it improve your experience or not? Discuss.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Unlikely, because like Link, the main protagonist is suppose to be you, in which you can name him/her anything thus wasting time voice recording all the possible names. Some of Nintendo's franchises have worked fine without the use of voice acting, and we don't want it to be more like Other M.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I'm not sure if I would like this in Pokemon, it's a possibility but I don't think I would be able adjust to it for a while. I could see it on the main characters such as Professor, Gym Leaders, etc but I wouldn't like trainers to speak their dialogue.

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Admittedly, that would be weird to get used to, because Pokemon has a 'silent' feel to it, but it can work out very well! I'd definitely be on board with this, as long as the voices are clear, and -fits- each character. Like, It's suck if your rival had a really low-toned voice that you'd expect, and you'd have to face him/her at like, every other town. u_u'

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
I hope they don't have voice acting. That'd be...strange...plus with this being an on the go kind of game (yay handhelds!) not everyone has the volume turned up to hear it. I usually don't in the car, or I'll listen to other music while I play. Of course I'm sure there will be subtitles if there is voice acting, but eh.

And I know other handheld games have voice acting, but it's usually in games that have voice acting as a staple thing (like Kingdom Hearts), so to have it in a game that's never had it...seems a bit weird.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Arlo

It might be a possibility, but it's something I absolutely do NOT want to see. I watched as voice acting played an obvious role in destroying the Elder Scrolls franchise and I really don't want to see it happen to Pokemon.

There are two problems with voice acting - it's expensive and it uses up an enormous amount of memory. Every dollar, every hour and every megabyte that's used for voice acting is a dollar, an hour and a megabyte that can't be used for anything else, and the minor improvement to the game that voice acting brings doesn't even begin to make up for all the game content that has to be sacrificed to make room for it.

And as has already been mentioned, depending on sound to convey information could be awkward-at-best with a handheld portable game. That would mean that many players would have to depend on subtitles anyway, which would make the voice acting entirely extraneous and ultimately a complete waste of time and resources. Instead of sacrificing other game content for little gain, it'd be sacrificing other game content for no gain at all.

Particularly with the introduction of 3D graphics and all the time, budget and memory it's going to take to at least make a stab at doing them well (so that they actually look like 3D Pokemon rather than simply looking like painfully obvious meshes, like every single previous 3D Pokemon game), I really don't want to see GF diverting time, budget and memory into voice acting. They've already bitten off more than I'm confident that they can chew as it is.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:00 AM
hashtag
king cook

The only way I can imagine in it is in cutscenes that like explain the 'legends' of the region etc. I couldn't stand it if Pokémon got rid of its silent protagonist.
The path of the righteous man is beset of all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil me. Blessed is he who, in the name of the charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I wouldn't like it if the protagonist would speak as it would ruin the illusion of you being the main character. Apart from that, I wouldn't mind voice overs for important NPC's.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:37 PM
shubshub
Master of The Y

Nature: Quiet
Maybe if the Pokemon had Voice Acting like in the Anime seeing as though the game is now in 3D and it just wouldn't make sense to me to continue using the Old Pokemon Cries
[Pokemon White 2]: 3182 4860 8214 [OT: Chris ID: 62513]
[Nintendo 3DS]: 4441 8375 5933 [Pokemon Y]

My Favorite Pokémon!
Garchomp
Powered By Kabigon! -The Website Made by me-

Coming Soon!
The Pokemon X&Y Pokemon Outpost
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
No, I doubt there will be any voice acting. Too much to localize. If anything there might be a bunch of "PIKA!"s like in Yellow but that's the most I expect.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

The game can be completely voiced with a silent protagonist (see: Persona 3 and 4). It really doesn't matter to me, but I'd love it if it's voiced. I'd miss the cries of Pokemon though.

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:57 PM
shubshub
Master of The Y

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaZaku View Post
The game can be completely voiced with a silent protagonist (see: Persona 3 and 4). It really doesn't matter to me, but I'd love it if it's voiced. I'd miss the cries of Pokemon though.
Maybe an Option to switch between the cries and the voice acting :D
[Pokemon White 2]: 3182 4860 8214 [OT: Chris ID: 62513]
[Nintendo 3DS]: 4441 8375 5933 [Pokemon Y]

My Favorite Pokémon!
Garchomp
Powered By Kabigon! -The Website Made by me-

Coming Soon!
The Pokemon X&Y Pokemon Outpost
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
As nice of a feature as it would be, I highly doubt that it will be implemented. :(
The data size would be rather large and difficult, considering how much is already squeezed into the games.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
To the extent of voice acting, I wouldn't mind something like what they did in Roxie and Elesa's gyms, as well as the singing NPC in Black/White/Black2/White2. Maybe they could have something like when there's a large crowd or gathering of NPC's where you can hear some jibberish of sorts to make it sound like they're talking. Or when you see two NPC's or main characters facing each other, they could do the same thing, and the further away you go the quieter it gets until you can't hear it at all - kind of like what they did with the instrument-playing NPC's.

Also, they could probably voice Yes/No for any yes/no questions, or like when someone's frustrated or something, you could hear them making a little "Hmph" sound? That'd be pretty neat, imo, but not all-out complete voice acting.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:13 PM
☆aqua☆
Ace Trainer!! :p

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveon View Post
To the extent of voice acting, I wouldn't mind something like what they did in Roxie and Elesa's gyms, as well as the singing NPC in Black/White/Black2/White2. Maybe they could have something like when there's a large crowd or gathering of NPC's where you can hear some jibberish of sorts to make it sound like they're talking. Or when you see two NPC's or main characters facing each other, they could do the same thing, and the further away you go the quieter it gets until you can't hear it at all - kind of like what they did with the instrument-playing NPC's.

Also, they could probably voice Yes/No for any yes/no questions, or like when someone's frustrated or something, you could hear them making a little "Hmph" sound? That'd be pretty neat, imo, but not all-out complete voice acting.
Squirtle agrees! Like, if you've ever played any of the Mario RPGs when the characters talk they say one word or mumble something like "uhnfvhuhuhufsdu"

(OOC: Whenever I read something, like a book or read dialog in a game, I always read a "character" voice..and I've noticed most of them come out the same xD)
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:34 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
Lemme think about it....
Nah.there won't be any ofc.There will possibly be in the later games.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:43 AM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

I play with the volume down a lot :P
I don't think I'd want voice-acting, though. I'm afraid of it being cheesy or bad or something, and it's not really that necessary in the first place. As for the Pokemon, I'm fine with the cries they have now. If they were to have actual voices, it'd probably just annoy me.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Kyain
The Sky High Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Kyain
Hmm. Didn't think about that. Maybe for important NPCs, but if they go overboard, I will not buy the game just turn the volume down when it comes on. I think that they would bring the voice-acting-in-music thing back but maybe on a higher scale.

But if they give Mr/Ms. Mute a voice, I will scream.

Silver-tier supporter Kyain's Signature
There's nothing here...lol
My stuff:

Space for rent

lalalalala i can't hear you. FACT.
[context: facebook]
Quote:
over a milliard of users had no access
[1:41:11 PM] Khilia-chan~: they all were forced to have a life

Old January 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Pingouin7
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I hope they don't have voice acting. That'd be...strange...plus with this being an on the go kind of game (yay handhelds!) not everyone has the volume turned up to hear it. I usually don't in the car, or I'll listen to other music while I play. Of course I'm sure there will be subtitles if there is voice acting, but eh.

And I know other handheld games have voice acting, but it's usually in games that have voice acting as a staple thing (like Kingdom Hearts), so to have it in a game that's never had it...seems a bit weird.
Just because it's never had it before, doesn't mean it never should.
Just because some people wouldn't experience that part of the game, doesn't mean nobody should.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I kind of doubt they will. We could've had voice acting with N and Ghetsis in last generation but sadly didn't. GF will proably keep the silence for these games.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
If it were to happen, it'd probably only be in cutscenes or for important characters. Nonetheless, I probably wouldn't like it. Especially if I was playing at a time I couldn't have the sound up and missed it.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Unlikely, because like Link, the main protagonist is suppose to be you, in which you can name him/her anything thus wasting time voice recording all the possible names.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of games with voice acting where you also name your character. FF10 and Dragon Age being two notable examples. If voice acting came to Pokemon, the player character would probably be referred to as "Trainer" and eventually "Champion".

But I don't know if voice acting is the way to go for Pokemon. I mean, if it was good and not hollow sounding, I'd be okay with it. But there's so much potential for bad voice acting to ruin good characters and otherwise wonderful lines. I'm on the fence I suppose.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Highly unlikely. Hasn't occurred wit any of the past games, I doubt it'll occur in this one. .____. That's pretty much my stance on it. I'm also with Syd on the fact that it'll be just... a bit strange.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM
gunnerpow7
☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
It's highly unlikely that we would get voice actors since it would be too hard to put actors there and if they do that, it is more likely to rivals, gym leaders, Elite Four, and other NPC's with subtitles of course.

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

gunnerpow7

☆ paired with MidnightShine, Twihiki_Amias, PachyfcgPC Showdown ☆ Lady Gunner ☆ defunct account ☆
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
That would be excellent if there was voice acting in the games, it would be great to take it to an extent of being limited to only cutscenes. But I doubt that I would end up seeing it happen, but knowing that the new Pokémon cries would be more refined and using improved technology.

I'd like to hear some voice acting for the Non-playable characters. :3

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links