The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Arlo

Advertise here
I think it's exceedingly unlikely. They've spent far too long balancing things within the current types, and I just don't think it would be possible to add a new type without undermining all that past effort.

If they could pull it off, I don't have a problem with it, but I don't think, at this point, that there's any way they could pull it off.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
The only possibilities for a new type are the aforementioned Digital type, Sound type, and Space type. A few selection of older gen Pokemon could easily fit these categories, but what would be their weaknesses? According to one of the false rumors, the Digital type will have no weakness nor advantage, but when paired with another type, it'll double its weakness (ex: Normal now has a 4x Fighting weakness).
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I'd still like to see a Light type, but it's gone too long without it's introduction. Many Pokémon that get stuffed into the Normal and Psychic typing really don't belong that way. Light would be perfect for that.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Lilizuki
The Wise Lesbian

Since all the other points against it have been brought up...

In almost 15 years, none of the fans have been able to come up with a new type that isn't dividing up the existing ones further or misunderstands the concept of a certain existing type.

I know there are talented people at Gamefreak, but fans can be pretty creative when they want to be, and none of 'em have come up with anything solid.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ

Nature: Modest
Oh gosh, no. I don't want a new type at all. :c
Especially not a "ight" type. wtf was the point of Dark type in the first place? We already have electric and fire, can't they be "light" enough? A Light type would just be ridiculous, imo.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Radiantsunset

Nature: Calm
Because x and y are chromosomes and that has to do with genetics, it might be a really vague hint at it? That's just my opinion..
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Esper

If they give us a new type I'd hope they'd have the decency or completely redoing the type system: all or mostly new types with new interactions among them to match. The type system we have is good. If you're going to fiddle with it, go all out.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I've heard rumors about a Light type being released. If this is true, I think it's a bad idea to have any new types being released this late on, even though it would be quite exciting. I mean, surely this would have to mean that a bunch of new moves and Pokemon will be created, so we wouldn't be seeing as much of the current types being added to. The only type I would want them to majorly add to is Ghost since it is my favorite type and it contains the minority of Pokemon.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I find it highly unlikely there will ever be a new type. Ever. They did a way with the ??? Type for goodness sake! It'd be interesting were the two legendaries to have an exclusive DNA Type, but I don't see that happening.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM
☆aqua☆
Ace Trainer!! :p

Nature: Sassy
(OOC): I don't think so. The only type that would really make sense is the Light type. Other than that, I can't really see any other types :/
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Ben.
Orange I s l a n d s~
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ben.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellicent♀ View Post
Especially not a "ight" type. wtf was the point of Dark type in the first place? We already have electric and fire, can't they be "light" enough? A Light type would just be ridiculous, imo.
...Dark was bought in to balance to the system. It was mainly because not every evil/bad based pokemon could be based on ghosts. Which was a very good decision, and one of my favourite types IMO.

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Well since this generation obviously has something to do with chromosomes and DNA (look at the logo for X & Y) I think this is the most likely era/generation to introduce new types.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
The possibility is always there, but like Scarf mentioned, if they're ever going to introduce a new type, they might as well go all out or just not bother at all.

In terms of the "Light" type, I thought that would have been a great new type somewhat years ago. The truth is, however, GameFreak has had more than enough opportunities ─ specifically, at the time they introduced the "Dark" type and again in Black and White with Zekrom and Reshirmam ─ but they've never bothered to do it.

Maybe X and Y is a hint to a new type like others have said, but I doubt it.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I think the idea is interesting, but because of balancing, I don't see any new types being introduced~
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM
funguy10
Togepi

Just to clarify, the light type would be the polar opposite of the dark type. Dark type Pokemon are associated with darkness and evil so light type Pokemon would be associated with purity and holiness.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:52 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
No.

If they wanted a Light type, the previopus gen was 'the time' to do it with the legendarys of Reshiram and Zekrom possibly fitting it. But we didn't due to a number of things (a need to change game mechanics (e.g. Hidden Power which is based on the IV system)), and the bigger fact of the type system as is is already pretty balanced which is unlike the case in RBY. This is not a game that is going to parallel GSC in any way (if that was the case, then why did B2W2 exist when there was no such sequels in gen 1? Answer: they are separate games!). The only reason they made new types was to nerf Psychic types which were way unbalanced in 1st gen. Now there's no such need.

Then consider how they'd handle previous Pokemon that could qualify as a new type. Change the types and contradict canon set up for over a decade? It was okay with GSC as hardly anything got changed, but now with 649 Pokemon in five gens? That's too much, especially with the type system established for over a decade now as-is.

As such I really don't see this happening, but I did see this sort of discussion happening as it does every gen at least. =p Oh well.
Quote:
Just to clarify, the light type would be the polar opposite of the dark type. Dark type Pokemon are associated with darkness and evil so light type Pokemon would be associated with purity and holiness.
Arguably the counterparts are Psychic and Fighting! Dark is more to do with underhand/dirty tactics in Pokemon (see moves like Faint Attack, Bite, Foul Play, etc) which can overcome Psychic types. Fighting can be thought of as 'pure' clean fighting, which can overcome said tactics. Or so that's one way to view it. Thing is there is no need for a 'counterpart' to the Dark type, as it already exists in a way.

And again, what happens with Pokemon like the Togepi line? You could call them Light type based on Pokedex entries, etc, but then what happens to Togekiss, the Normal/Flying type? Something's got to change there. Then apply that to a good fraction of the existing 649 Pokemon. Yeah...

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I don't ever see any new types being released. If they did release another type, there would be barely any Pokémon of its type, as they would be only coming from one generation. They could do a Magneton on us, but there might be a Pokémon of two types that would deserve the type more and just cause confusion.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
I think 17 types is quite enough, honestly.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
curiousnathan
a hero can be afraid, too

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellicent♀ View Post
Yet Dark can be catered for through Ghost and Psychic types, but was still introduced, so why not a Light type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
I don't ever see any new types being released. If they did release another type, there would be barely any Pokémon of its type, as they would be only coming from one generation. They could do a Magneton on us, but there might be a Pokémon of two types that would deserve the type more and just cause confusion.
Well, not necessarily. Pokemon of previous generations have had their typings adjusted in the past, so if a new type were to be introduced, who's saying Pokemon from Gen I - V, won't change?
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Yet Dark can be catered for through Ghost and Psychic types, but was still introduced, so why not a Light type?
To nerf Psychics, and give something more to Bug types. That and it is set up as different to Ghost and Psychics (again, Psychics all about using mental prowess, while Dark has to do with 'dirty' or rough fighting...and ghosts are ghosts!). While Dark (and Steel) was to give more balance to the type system, a Light type would not do that as there is no major problem to fix in the first place, and it brings about problems that were not so major back in gen 2.

There's a heck of a lot more reasons for no type change in gen 6 than back in gen 2. But then I'd just be repeating myself. =p But at any rate, because they did it before doesn't make it likely they'd do it again. Otherwise B2W2 wouldn't have existed and we'd have our RSE remakes instead now going by patterns.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Cyanide

i personally dont think we will see an introduction of new types, seeing as its pretty much covered, what i would REALLY enjoy seeing is some more fire types, seriously lacking in that department, and not as many water types.

and please introduce a really sick dual type STEEL-ICE.

WINS:24
LOSE:6
DRAWS:0

VGC Doubles

wins: 23
Lose:8
draws: 0

Always up for a battle, PM me!

FC gen 5: 2924-7487-5102
FC WHITE2: still too lazy to look.

ARMY STRONG
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Autaven
Gamer Girl

Nature: Quiet
I find it unlikely, I do think if they were going to add more they'd have done it already. However I'm not opposed to the idea - I'd be quite happy with new types.

Old January 8th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I would love to see a Light type introduced, 'cause honestly... there's no weakness to Ghost/Dark type Pokémon like Spiritomb and Sableye. Unless a Pokémon uses Foresight, Lock-on or Odor Sleuth on those Pokémon... it's impossible to deal Super Effective damage to those Pokémon.

So I think it's about time Generation VI introduced a Light type. 'Cause you think about it... a light bulb lights up a room, which means light defeats Dark. And plus... Ghosts like to hang out in dark areas, so they hate light. Same would apply if there was a Light type, which would mean X4 the damage done if a Light type attack was used against Spiritomb or Sableye. Every Pokémon has to have weakness, but those are the only Pokémon that don't, so it would have to be fair if a Light type was introduced.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Mista T
Pityin' fools.

No way, no how, not never. There is absolutely no reason why a new type would be added. It would thoroughly wreck the metagame as well as pre-established typings. Dark and Steel were added to fix a problem with the Psychic-type, and that's arguably the only reason behind this addition. Adding more types at this point would be a case of trying to fix a non-existent problem.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Garbodium?feature=guide
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
I would love to see a Light type introduced, 'cause honestly... there's no weakness to Ghost/Dark type Pokémon like Spiritomb and Sableye. Unless a Pokémon uses Foresight, Lock-on or Odor Sleuth on those Pokémon... it's impossible to deal Super Effective damage to those Pokémon.

So I think it's about time Generation VI introduced a Light type. 'Cause you think about it... a light bulb lights up a room, which means light defeats Dark. And plus... Ghosts like to hang out in dark areas, so they hate light. Same would apply if there was a Light type, which would mean X4 the damage done if a Light type attack was used against Spiritomb or Sableye. Every Pokémon has to have weakness, but those are the only Pokémon that don't, so it would have to be fair if a Light type was introduced.
Sableye and Spiritomb's stats make them easy enough to contest with. And really if they wanted to remove the no weakness, all they have to do is remove Ghost's resistance to Bug. The Bug types would just be SE to Dark in the match up and they's have a weakness. But again, none of the Dark/Ghost have ever been game breaking enough to deserve a type chart reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
Well, not necessarily. Pokemon of previous generations have had their typings adjusted in the past, so if a new type were to be introduced, who's saying Pokemon from Gen I - V, won't change?
Only Pokemon that got a type change was Magnemite to add to the number of Steel types in Gen 2. Its the only Pokemon with a full type change other than Rotom getting a partial type change when it changes forms to limit its battle capabilities.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here