The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
After noticing the rainbow-colored double helix SolarAbusoru pointed out, I then noticed that the antlers of the deer-like legendary were also rainbow colored. Which led me to this thought;

X and Y are obviously DNA references. Chromosome means "Color Body". Either this means the theme is "what Pokemon are comprised of", or..they are introducing a "Light" type. Not like, opposite of evil Light, but spectrum light. Which would explain the multiple rainbow patterns seen throughout the trailer.

Or both. Both things would make the most sense.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:53 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
Dat rainbow-colored double helix...
Its just too obvious that this generation's whole storyline is related to DNA.
That double helix looks like a DNA anyway.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Correspondence

Yeah the games are most probably related to DNA and legendaries' names will most probably start from an X and a Y.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:20 AM
RedJ
[*TRUMPETS INTENSIFY*]

Nature: Quiet
I was going to say that X and Y represent unknown variables/potential, which would point to you as a Trainer and the jump to new systemss, but yeah, the DNA thing makes a lot more sense ;;

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I'm way too tired to specify and speak up about the specifics and theory around it, but someone i know mentioned Life/Death and I find it fascinating and amazing if they actually took Pokemon to that level. There is a basis around this I swear but again, too lazy to really bring over what they said onto here.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
It's pretty innovative from the colors, and it did seem like they were running out with Black and White... I'm glad they changed it up though, all of these changes in Gen VI look a little intimidating but they seem to be pretty gradual in the release, since we're only getting ~20 new Pokemon in it, going by the previous rumors.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Perico
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
I don't really know what to think about the names! My first thought was "Well, if they wanted to make it global, the logos should look the same in every language". Although the X and Y remain the same, Japanese logos (as usual) are different. In fact, they kind of give another hint, take a look:

If you look at the ン (n) those rainbow signs just remind me of hydrogen bonds. Does anyone else?
I agree with the chromosome theory.

Allez, hop!
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Youji
Viridian City Gym Leader
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeninacra View Post
[...]
If you look at the ン (n) those rainbow signs just remind me of hydrogen bonds. Does anyone else?
I agree with the chromosome theory.
Agreed. Sounds and looks like it, ya.

Logos: Well the Japanese did a great job on them, especially the way they've changed the logos to represent "This game is 3D actually". The abroad logos do so, too but very lame...

Anyone noticed as well that they're not only going away from the usual naming tradition but as well that the 'Version' is missing?? So it's only Pokémon X and Pokémon Y
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Cid
Find your niche.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cid Send a message via Skype™ to Cid
Guys you're thinking too much bio. D: I don't know but I'm way too exposed to physics and math, so my other theory was the one Isasapiens suggested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isasapiens View Post
X and Y are coordinate axis to represent the series's jump to 3d.
I'm thinking that the whole reason they made it X and Y is related to the x-axis, y-axis and z-axis being the conventional names for the three axes in a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system. So if there's a third version, I think that's gonna be Z if this theory holds. I mean it's for the 3DS. A three-dimensional system / three-dimensional dual screens thingo. So I think it sort of makes sense. :\

Plus chromosome theory suggests that the third version not be Z, imo. If anyone knows more biology than me then they should correct me, but I don't remember any other chromosome at the same league as the X chromosome and the Y chromosome. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter57 View Post
A 3-D graph has three axis' X,Y, and Z. X and Y are only a 2-D graph.
Well if they make a Z then it will still work as a reference to the three-dimensional coordinate system, I suppose. :p

Last edited by Cid; January 8th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:17 AM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Honestly I have no idea, but I think that Pokemon game titles are starting to sound a bit silly.

Unless they happen to release some sort of deep meaning to "X" and "Y"

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:43 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote:
Well, since Gen IV it's been 3D. I think it's because the player won't be restricted to a grid anymore, you know, with specific X and Y coordinates.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Lateon
The Eon Follower

Send a message via AIM to Lateon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lateon Send a message via Yahoo to Lateon
Quote:
I like this, probably the most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiran777 View Post
X and Y are still somewhat color related if the theme for Gen 6 has something to do with genetics, origins or something of that sort. Chroma, from chromosomes, means color in Greek.

So I think Gen 6 will have a certain theme just like Black and White did with their names. We might see a return of the DNA splicers used on Kyurem.
This was my first thought. Something to do with genetic manipulation. Maybe in this region pokemon are being genetically enhanced? Or evolution could be brought on early? Starts bringing in the morality of messing with living creatures... though that is kinda deep for pokemon.

Forum Activity
Wifi Activity

Currently Working On

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Esper

I like that they changed the naming convention while still having a sort of connection to colors with chromosome-inspired titles. It does have me wondering if they're going to continue after this generation, since we're almost certainly going to get a Pokemon Z to complete the axes and then we'll have X, Y, Z. The end of the alphabet. It feels kind of final.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Arlo

I'm tending, at the moment, toward X and Y being references to coordinates used in mapping two dimensions. Add Z and you've got coordinates for three dimensions.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I thought of them as generation x and generation y, but the coordinate system makes more sens e than my interpretation haha.
PM
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Triple R
PokéFan Incognito

Nature: Mild
The only Pokemon X I know of is the long-dead fan webcomic.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:04 PM
diamondmutt1111
A wild summer appeared!

Nature: Lax
X, Y, and Z are all axes (or something like that, you know...Y-axis) and they represent the dimensions (length, width, and depth). Could be that they represent that Pokémon FINALLY went 3D and added some depth

btw thanks engineering class!

EDIT: or could be about DNA...either or, lol

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi
#swablunest/Youtube/Blogger
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:01 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
X AND Y REFER TO CRHOMOSOMES

There is also a DNA strand in the japanese logos:

And it seems the theme is about life/death.

Since we have:
-a forest deer god standing in front of a huge tree, resembeling one himself with several lights
-a shady vulture like threatening monster
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

I think they're based on DNA and represents the chromosome Y and chromosome X. And that the region's evil team will be trying to do something with Pokemon DNA.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Autaven
Gamer Girl

My thoughts did immediately go to Chromosomes too, and you can totally see that in the logo! I hope that means they've maybe enhanced the breeding in some way, spend most of my time breeding and attempting to fill the 'dex.

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I'm really amazed by how they're now using letters instead of minerals or colours. X, Y and Z represent width, height and depth in 3D models so I think it was a wonderful idea to use them instead of minerals or colours.

This is an excellent change, and I see that they've now dropped the word "version" in the Pokémon titles now, so having to be simply called "Pokémon X" and "Pokémon Y", instead of being something like "Pokémon Black Version 2" or "Pokémon White Version 2".

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Unknown#
'Cause why not?
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Well, I'm glad they didn't start naming the games after organs like a friend of mine predicted they would.

But its obviously genetics, since "x, y, and z" would require a third version, something I'm not sure they'll do after what they did in Gen 5.

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Deceit
Toxic.

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjacketalchemist View Post
I was going to say that X and Y represent unknown variables/potential, which would point to you as a Trainer and the jump to new systemss, but yeah, the DNA thing makes a lot more sense ;;
Lol yes. I'm not the only one who thought this at first.

But on to the DNA topic... if it is true, I would think that the goal of the evil team is to alter the DNA of the legendary, and maybe they succeed. Then, they might want to alter the DNA of all other pokemon, but you step in to stop them. But yeah, this storyline is a bit too farfetch'd, it's just whats coming to mind right now.

Oh, and also, I forgot to mention that its cool that they named these games something different than the normal, makes me think they'll add a lot more things that are different from past generations.
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
I think that the X and Y either represent axes on a graph or male and female chromosomes. Coldplay's album a few years back was also named X & Y but I don't think that this will have anything to do it the game haha.
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:10 AM
EpicBroFist
Unhatched Egg

X and y? REALLY POKEMON?! DID YOU SERIOUSLY RUN OUT OF NAMES?! I CAN NAME SO MANY GOOD ONES! QUAKE AND TORNADO! LIGHT AND SHADOW! SERIOUSLY POKEMON! THOSE ARE TERRIBLE NAMES!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here