The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
I personally like the childhoods friends idea more, and it would be so awesome if you could name them and change there outfit/characteristics! That would be awesome!
I'd have to agree with this.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Syncai
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quiet
I really liked hugh, so I wouldn't mind someone like him again.
I canny remeber the rivals from emerald/ leaf green too well, didn't take it seriously and now I can't play them anymore o-x;.

But someone like the pearl/diamond rival would be really cool, just wish when he jumps out of the blue to challenge you, you have the option to decline. Many a curse word was uttered when he wiped my half dead team out in a flash x__x;

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:59 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I do not care either way. I just want a rival I'd like to beat, and one which has some decent characterisation and development.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

From the trailer in that forest scene, it looks like you can partner up with some people. And it might be a small form of co-op(maybe restricted to certain areas only) or it's one of those "help me get out of the forest" tasks.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
I'm on board with with a rival being like Gen I and Gen II as well. Maybe make it so like you have one rival like Blue / Silver, but at the same time, you'd have another rival like N / Cheren / Hugh? Eh, I'ts just, I'm sorta bored with the childhood rivals too. xD They are too friendly tbh!
This is basically how I feel! I felt kind of bad about beating my friends, since they were so nice! And especially how Bianca in BW had her dad against her going on the journey. Y'know? It's fun to beat up a mean rival, and plus, they've already proved that they can have someone like Silver's personality change!

SHOWDOWNGALLERYANIMEPAIR

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Deceit
Toxic.

Nature: Timid
I've really been fine with the past rivals, and don't really care. But something I would find interesting would be having a story involving two childhood friends, like Black and White, but one has kind of "gone bad." So what I'm thinking is having a friend who starts with you on your journey, and you both head off, and at some point in the game, you meet your other rival. This rival is really mean, and for some reason, he hates you and challenges you to a battle, etc. I was thinking that you and the rival were friends since childhood, but something happened to your rival, and he blames you for it. At first you don't know him, but one time you meet him with your childhood friend, and the revelation occurs. And along the journey you bring him back to his normal self or something.

So yeah, mines is a bit too detailed, but basically I would like a mix of a mean rival and a friend.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Sukiyomi

You knwo what, I just had a brain storm and I think it's the best idea yet I have ever had.

What would be awesome, is if you have wifi you can make your rival, or rivals, be your real life friends if they also bought either X or Y. So you can treat this as a dream world system where they upload their stats as a trainer at certain key points in the game.
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:15 AM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Yeah I like that they were friends in Black/White rather than mean like the others. Though their personalities annoyed the heck out of me, Cheren, don't be such a smart-ass, and love your pokemon. and Bianca, for Arceus' sake, woman, stop being so damn clumsy xD so yeah, friends, but with different personalities xD
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyomi View Post
You knwo what, I just had a brain storm and I think it's the best idea yet I have ever had.

What would be awesome, is if you have wifi you can make your rival, or rivals, be your real life friends if they also bought either X or Y. So you can treat this as a dream world system where they upload their stats as a trainer at certain key points in the game.
That'd be pretty awesome! Kind of hard for those with friends who don't have the games, though :(
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I liked how in older generations apart from I and II, you had childhood friends that you battled every now and again and would help you defeat the evil team. Like Hugh in B2/W2, though I'm also thinking of something new and completely different. How about you have someone that you've known as your friend in your town, but then turns out much later that he's really evil and always wanted to help the evil team with their plans?

That would be interesting. :)

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Huge Fan of Silver. Rest of them are just Meh. I would like the rival to be a little more Aggressive.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Breyyne
Unhatched Egg

I kind of liked the whole Cheren/Bianca/N "rival" option. But I also liked the introduction to possible love interest in B/W2.

Perhaps we can get a childhood friend that joins up with Team "X/Y" and another that can be possible love interest like the Harvest Moon series.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:31 AM
enigmα.
phantom bullet
Community Supporter

Hmm, actually, I'm sick of rivals battling here & there, especially if "Oh my gosh, my team is looking REALLY bad. Nvm, I'll solve this prob later." when suddenly "HEY [insert player name here], LET'S BATTLE!!!".

Ugh, why not just erm, do a 'we-have-been-friends-since-childhood' thing & give the player advice along the way, but he or she can still battle you once in a while, for more battle practice.

sword art online II
phantom bullet

• vm . pm - feel free to contact me
  • server - chat and battle
  • blog - random thoughts and stuff
  • rmt collection - pkmn team collection
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Cinnabar
Fenniken is godly.

I just want a rival that looks badass, gives me a run for my money, and has a decent background to him/her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyyne View Post
Perhaps we can get a childhood friend that joins up with Team "X/Y" and another that can be possible love interest like the Harvest Moon series.
This idea is fantastic.
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:18 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Well I wanna have another N,
or Silver,but mostly Blue.
Cuz you know....

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Hmmm I like the sound of a love interest! That would be very interesting. Well, I've been thinking and I have a little idea. You have to rivals, and they are friends, but just classmates to you. One is reall determined and kinda dark even, going for the all or nothing approach, doing whatever it takes to be the best. And the other rival is kinda like their sidekick. Unfit and Slow, they find it hard to keep up with their friend. They are just generally a follower and is kinda weak. But as he/she see's their friends dark ways, they become friends with you and turn to you to help.

So it may not be the best idea, but it's different to anything we've seen before.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Breyyne
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
Hmmm I like the sound of a love interest! That would be very interesting. Well, I've been thinking and I have a little idea. You have to rivals, and they are friends, but just classmates to you. One is reall determined and kinda dark even, going for the all or nothing approach, doing whatever it takes to be the best. And the other rival is kinda like their sidekick. Unfit and Slow, they find it hard to keep up with their friend. They are just generally a follower and is kinda weak. But as he/she see's their friends dark ways, they become friends with you and turn to you to help.

So it may not be the best idea, but it's different to anything we've seen before.
I actually like this idea. It is a good plot line. And add the fact that this puts the protagonist as the "odd man out" that ultimately becomes the hero. Thinking of the standard age market for the Pokemon genre, it could a good motivational story. Hehe, you could even add in a couple NPCs that would have given the player something but the rival got his last one instead of the current standard of getting everything handed to them.
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
I do not care either way. I just want a rival I'd like to beat, and one which has some decent characterisation and development.
At the end of the day, I think that's all we can really hope for.

An idea I've come to take a liking to would be a sibling rivalry. I feel like we've played the childhood friend rival antic for so long now, that I wouldn't mind trying something new, and a sibling rivalry could be just that. I can already picture the constant teases, the sibling squabbles coming from our older sister or brother. Then there's a certain taste of sweet satisfaction that comes from beating your older sibling every time. Oh joy! However, since in my head I picture the sibling to be older, then a childhood rival who's starting their journey at the same time as the player could probably still be used in this situation.
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
I'd love a sibling rivalry; they can make some sort of 'dark' side plot with that too, like say, fighting over a parents' love, and gaining acceptance and respect in the family. Well, I'd call it kinda dark anyway. Maybe the sibling rivalry can have a theme of "placement roles in the family" - It reminds me of the main plot of Tales of the Abyss where Luke and Asch fought for who they were, instead of who they were -destined- to be. Perhaps family member rivalry can play a role in that for these games.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Flydro
doobz

I like the rival to be antagonistic and somewhat of a jerk, more motivation in a rival you dislike rather than a rival you're friends with. Hope they have a rival like in Gen I and II.

*hunting:

Old January 11th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

I'd love to see the return of a rival with a Blue/Silver like attitude, as I found it a lot more gratifying to win against them rather than someone like Barry. It would also be nice to see a female rival with a bit of a mean streak, as all of the female "rivals" just seemed to be friendly and wanting to help you with your journey, rather than wanting to become the best.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:51 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
At the end of the day, I think that's all we can really hope for.

An idea I've come to take a liking to would be a sibling rivalry. I feel like we've played the childhood friend rival antic for so long now, that I wouldn't mind trying something new, and a sibling rivalry could be just that. I can already picture the constant teases, the sibling squabbles coming from our older sister or brother. Then there's a certain taste of sweet satisfaction that comes from beating your older sibling every time. Oh joy! However, since in my head I picture the sibling to be older, then a childhood rival who's starting their journey at the same time as the player could probably still be used in this situation.
I've been wanting a sibling rivalry for a couple generations now! It would allow the adventure to be that much more personal/emotional in the long run and of course, due to most siblings being 'at each other' naturally, it would still be satisfying to kick their ass at times(especially if they are older and think they know everything because of that, like you've mentioned).

You could also have that childhood friend/rival who you have/both have known for a while; I wouldn't mind as much if they were just as competitive or the nice one, but your sibling definitely has to be the one you want to show up/outdo more.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Forever
let it go

Oh I'd like sibling rivalry! Given that there was a sibling for your friend/rival in B2/W2 it might even be more likely, although I can't say hate the idea of having more childhood friends like back in Black and White. I'd assume that if so it'd be an older sibling, so that you're the younger one that they "naturally" expect to lose and not do as well as the other.
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Sabrewulf238

I was thinking...

If it really is possible to customize our characters and the customization options are varied enough. It would be interesting if we could connect with our friends and use their characters as a substitute for the default rivals. They would still take part in the storyline, it's just their image would be different (and you'd probably have to use one male friend and one female friend.

Failing that it would be interesting if we were given the choice to customize our rivals too.

I probably wouldn't use that unless the default rivals were bland but it would nice to have the option.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I also want to quickly mention here that I actually enjoyed having more than one rival to face, which made B/W really enjoyable for me. Not that I'd complain if we just had one rival, but having more than one, so to speak, would be more fun. XD
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links