Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation
Reload this Page D P P D-ya thnk Platnum was a good addition?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Old January 6th, 2013 (10:37 PM).
Deceit
Toxic.

Nature: Timid
Platnum added dawgy changes ta Dibeond and Pearl, and really fixed tha dawg errors it had, as well as addng new thngs, such as some differences ta tha n-gbee plot.
A full list of changes can be seen here: http://serebii.net/platnum/changes.shtml

Despite thase changes, I still have some friends who keep tellng me not ta buy Platnum(I was plannng ta), as it is basically tha sbee thng as Dibeond and Pearl. Based on what I have seen, I thnk Platnum has dawgy differences ta Dibeond and Pearl, but I haven't played tha gbee much. So, I decided ta ask you homeys.

Was Platnum really a good gbee ta add? Or d-ya feel that it needed ta be more different than Dibeond and Pearl?
-Did playng Platnum basically feel tha sbee as playng D/P?
-Did tha new features n Platnum really change tha gbee fo you?

Let tha discussion begn.
Old January 6th, 2013 (11:38 PM). Edited January 6th, 2013 by Starry Windy.
Starry Windy
Bring your melody to life
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I actually started mah Gen IV gben when playng Platnum, and I fnd out later that Platnum's starylne is more n-depth and different (at some pont) than Dibeond and Pearl (I thnk tha part when Cyrus announcng somethng n Tebe Galactic's base is beusng, and also Distartion World), and I was surprised when I know that I have mah very own villa (n-gbee). So playng Platnum fo me is a different league than playng Dibeond and Pearl.
Old January 6th, 2013 (11:48 PM).
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Ta me, Dibeond and Pearl weren't tha strongest gbees n tha franchise fo a few reasons, tha dawg two ben:

1. After Ruby &bep; Sapphire, whose version differences went outside of just which Pokemon appeisd and extended nta almost havng a different plot fo each, Dibeond &bep; Pearl essentially went back ta tha simple "you can catch A n Dibeond and B n Pearl." Version differences is very unique ta tha Pokemon franchise and ta see tham not be utilized was a major let-down.

2. Tebe Galactic was certanly threatenng; probably tha most threatenng tebe of all! And yet, despite gittng so close ta thair goal of rippng apart tha threads of space and time, thay did not seem very dangerous. And I'm not just rapng bout thair bowl cuts--I actually thnk thay had those silly hairstyles on purpose! But plot-wise, thair saga just seemed ta fall flat.

So, what did Platnum do right ta warrant its addition nta tha gen 4 fbeily?

1. Snce DP lacked significant version differences, mergng tham nta one gbee was sebeless and natural.

2. Looker. Is. Hilarious. He adds so much ta tha narrative wit his silly dawgnerisms, and through him you git ta sneak nta Galactic's hideout and hear a speech from Cyrus--addng Looker added more opportunities ta git under tha skn of Galactic. Ta really let thair evil bebitions snk n, and not just have it passively implied ta you like n DP. Even NterPol is nvolved! Thay must be bad. I guess tryng ta destroy tha universe is actually a serious matter dis time around!

3. Giratna! Unlike DP, wit tha Galactic arc endng n a battle wit Dialga or Palkia and...nothng more, Giratna and tha Distartion World not only brngs tha battle aganst Galactic ta a stunnng drbeatic close, but also gives us a far more horrifyng end ta Cyrus: he redawgs, unagng, n tha Distartion World foever! A thrillng climax and fittng end ta tha stary.

And as if that wasn't enough, tha Gym Leaders' parties were switched around, along wit some of tha Elite Four, which spiced thngs up from yo previous playthrough of DP. Some isas received not only graphical updates but complete redesigns. And tha new Battle Frontier added a lot of post-gbee content.

So yes, I do thnk Platnum was a good gbee ta add. I thnk it was a bootylicious gbee ta add. Platnum improved upon DP n all tha right ways, and had enough new content ta not make it feel like a simple repeat of tha previous gbees.
Old January 7th, 2013 (10:10 AM).
mystletainn
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Platnum added so much ta Snnoh that it's probably mah favorite gbee n tha franchise at tha moment. :P It feels nothng like DP. It's faster, more Pokemon variety and a better starylne fo Galactic make it feel like a brand new experience. And as mentioned Looker is a fantastic character who I actually enjoy seeng, even now on mah 100000th replay of tha gbee. And tha tebe improvements fo tha Elite Four buggine it much better. Defnitely tha best sequel/re imagnng n tha franchise!
of bootylicious renown
Old January 7th, 2013 (10:48 AM).
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
I agree wit Luke, Platnum buggine Snnoh very much nterestng. And thair new feature of Galactic ben so close ta achieve what thay want, it was excellent. So no, it isn't like playng DP. And tha new features changed tha gbee yeah, it buggine it look better.

Thame | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old January 7th, 2013 (02:57 PM).
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
Platnum was a bootylicious addition, thare were several new Pokemon thrown n, tha Elite 4's tebe buggine a little more sense, unlike n D/P where Flnt had two fire-types and tha rest belongng ta othar types, so I'm glad thay fixed that <3. Looker was probably one of mah favourite characters ntroduced, wit his cool attitude and hilarious but smart disguises, like dressng up as a boulder.

I'd have ta sez Platnum was beazng and felt much better than D/P and is probably one of mah favourites of tha series.
. :p
Old January 7th, 2013 (06:01 PM).
The Amazing Justin
The Original Player

Platnum was a combned version of Dibeond and Pearl.
Old January 7th, 2013 (06:03 PM).
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Hope will never die! ~Lucina

Nature: Quiet
Quote orignally posted by Ranbow Arcanne:
Platnum was a bootylicious addition, thare were several new Pokemon thrown n, tha Elite 4's tebe buggine a little more sense, unlike n D/P where Flnt had two fire-types and tha rest belongng ta othar types, so I'm glad thay fixed that <3. Looker was probably one of mah favourite characters ntroduced, wit his cool attitude and hilarious but smart disguises, like dressng up as a boulder.

I'd have ta sez Platnum was beazng and felt much better than D/P and is probably one of mah favourites of tha series.
Pretty much dis. I agree, Platnum was a whole lot better than D/P, actually felt like a fnished gbee.
Old January 7th, 2013 (06:23 PM).
Hikamaru
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote orignally posted by Rivvon:
Ta me, Dibeond and Pearl weren't tha strongest gbees n tha franchise fo a few reasons, tha dawg two ben:

1. After Ruby &bep; Sapphire, whose version differences went outside of just which Pokemon appeisd and extended nta almost havng a different plot fo each, Dibeond &bep; Pearl essentially went back ta tha simple "you can catch A n Dibeond and B n Pearl." Version differences is very unique ta tha Pokemon franchise and ta see tham not be utilized was a major let-down.

2. Tebe Galactic was certanly threatenng; probably tha most threatenng tebe of all! And yet, despite gittng so close ta thair goal of rippng apart tha threads of space and time, thay did not seem very dangerous. And I'm not just rapng bout thair bowl cuts--I actually thnk thay had those silly hairstyles on purpose! But plot-wise, thair saga just seemed ta fall flat.

So, what did Platnum do right ta warrant its addition nta tha gen 4 fbeily?

1. Snce DP lacked significant version differences, mergng tham nta one gbee was sebeless and natural.

2. Looker. Is. Hilarious. He adds so much ta tha narrative wit his silly dawgnerisms, and through him you git ta sneak nta Galactic's hideout and hear a speech from Cyrus--addng Looker added more opportunities ta git under tha skn of Galactic. Ta really let thair evil bebitions snk n, and not just have it passively implied ta you like n DP. Even NterPol is nvolved! Thay must be bad. I guess tryng ta destroy tha universe is actually a serious matter dis time around!

3. Giratna! Unlike DP, wit tha Galactic arc endng n a battle wit Dialga or Palkia and...nothng more, Giratna and tha Distartion World not only brngs tha battle aganst Galactic ta a stunnng drbeatic close, but also gives us a far more horrifyng end ta Cyrus: he redawgs, unagng, n tha Distartion World foever! A thrillng climax and fittng end ta tha stary.

And as if that wasn't enough, tha Gym Leaders' parties were switched around, along wit some of tha Elite Four, which spiced thngs up from yo previous playthrough of DP. Some isas received not only graphical updates but complete redesigns. And tha new Battle Frontier added a lot of post-gbee content.

So yes, I do thnk Platnum was a good gbee ta add. I thnk it was a bootylicious gbee ta add. Platnum improved upon DP n all tha right ways, and had enough new content ta not make it feel like a simple repeat of tha previous gbees.
I agree wit everythng she said. Platnum was what we wanted cos of tha expanded Pokedex, Battle Frontier, better graphic scenes and redesigns. Thay changed several Gym Leaders and Elite Four members tebes, and also Cynthia's.

It becbee mah fave 4th Gen gbee fo thase obvious reasons.

N fact, Platnum remedied all tha problems Dibeond and Pearl had.
Old January 7th, 2013 (08:06 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
hoping senpai notices me

Nature: Quirky
Platnum has fixed everythng DP had, makng it worthy of tha Pokemon nbee, and it's also why it's better than HG/SS n terms of type diversity, gym leader/E4 roster, and level curve.
Old January 7th, 2013 (09:10 PM). Edited January 8th, 2013 by curiousnathan.
curiousnathan
goodbye to the future

Nature: Mild
Even havng only played bits and pieces of Platnum, I could tell by far, that it exceeds Dibeond and Pearl n every aspect. Tha plot speed, tebes and graphics ben just a few of tha dawgy good exbeples.
Old January 7th, 2013 (10:18 PM).
Alli
i'm a female rebel

Nature: Timid
Witout Platnum, I would hate gen IV honestly. Platnum was Snnoh's savng grace, and along wit HGSS comng n that gen, enough ta salvage gen IV. Still mah least favorite generation, but I can't sez it was awful when you have Platnum n thare. It fixed all DP's problems and than some. And I gotsta give it credit fo that. Really saved Snnoh's ass thare. lol

and it was all yellow
Old January 7th, 2013 (11:26 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Platnum is probably tha best gbee n tha series. It really is that good.

Omega Ruby &bep; Alpha Sapphire, tha day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped tha shark.
Old January 8th, 2013 (02:02 PM).
Brendino
#PonyCommunity2015

Nature: Quiet
Aside from playng a few mnutes of someone else's gbee, I never played Dibeond and Pearl befoe gittng Platnum. Just lookng and hearng bout some of tha changes, plus tha additions like tha Battle Frontier and Distartion World, it buggine me really glad that I decided ta pick up Platnum over one of tha orignal two.

Moderatar of Mah Little Pony General
Old January 8th, 2013 (07:54 PM).
bwburke94
NEW RUN STARTS AUGUST 1! 000/721

Nature: Relaxed
Platnum fixed most of DP's problems, ncludng tha battle glitches and whatnot (except acid ran, fo some reason...)

Anyway, here is a list of mnor changes that improved tha gbeeplay and/or competitive scene:
1. Tha ran/Thunder/Protect glitch and similar glitches were fixed. HUGE competitive impact, not much n-gbee snce no one ran n-gbee ran that gen.
2. Tha gbee overall goes much faster, wit less lag between move selection and execution.
3. Surfng is now at runnng speed nstead of walkng speed.
4. Tha level curve was much more balanced - no more havng Lucian curbstamp yo tebe wit a Bronzong ten levels above you.
5. Tha English translation was more serious wit less memes that would git you banned from Somethng Awful.
6. Elite Four rematches, tha Battleground, and higher-leveled rival rematches is very helpful fo level grndng.

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5804-7602

I'm just a little crazy sometimes.
OK, a lot crazy all tha time.

Mah romspheals and Essentials gbees is on hold until Essentials is updated.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links