The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.


Advertise here

 
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #276    
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
DrakoBlare
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male

Advertise here
is there any mixed wall water type to take place of slowking?
  #277    
Old December 29th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Zeffy's Avatar
Zeffy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakoBlare View Post
is there any mixed wall water type to take place of slowking?
If you're playing RU, Slowking is one of the best walls there is. I see no reason of replacing it unless you have a terrible grass/electric weakness. There's not much mixed-walls in RU, Quagsire is more-often than not physically-defensive.
__________________
  #278    
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:37 AM
RandomTrainerWhoCould's Avatar
RandomTrainerWhoCould
Yo
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Poliwrath. Best cb escavalier check and cb entei check, as well as being able to check a lot of other things(absol, aggron, offensive cryogonal etc), but it cannot check moltres(number one used fire type iirc) because of stab airslash/hurricane. If you're going to use Poliwrath as your water type "mixed wall", your team is going to have a lot of trouble against the ever so popular moltres. 
__________________
Hax is supposed to happen. Scald has a 100% burn rate(willowisp w/ perfect accuracy); paralysis has a 75% chance of kicking in; Rock slide misses more than stone edge; Hustle= 50% more power at the cost of 100% accuracy.
I get haxed a lot and the hax gods who are the gods of hax hate me I'm sad :[
  #279    
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
AdrianD's Avatar
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Can a sub par speed IV be made up? Like being able to compensate for a sub par IV. I have this Deino thats speed IV is 15 but its IV on HP is 31 and Sp. Atk is 26( which isnt the greatest I know).
__________________
X- 2406 5987 8799
PS3 - Mkeborn87
  #280    
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Can a sub par speed IV be made up? Like being able to compensate for a sub par IV. I have this Deino thats speed IV is 15 but its IV on HP is 31 and Sp. Atk is 26( which isnt the greatest I know).
Not really unless you EV train it to its full capacity and give it a Choice Scarf, otherwise you're better off getting a new one, even still, things will outspeed you more that wouldn't if you had higher IVs and such. Anything above 25-ish IVs in the desired stat should be around good enough for competitive play if you can't RNG (although 30-31 is preferred), while 15 would be okay for in-game.
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
  #281    
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:39 PM
AdrianD's Avatar
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Is it better to have a Zebstrika as a lonely nature or a Jolly nature also what move set would be best for it?
__________________
X- 2406 5987 8799
PS3 - Mkeborn87
  #282    
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:54 PM
Zeffy's Avatar
Zeffy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Is it better to have a Zebstrika as a lonely nature or a Jolly nature also what move set would be best for it?
Despite of Zebstrika's base 100 Attack stat, Zebstrika should be used more as a special attacker since its physical movepool is undesirable. A Modest/Timid natured one is what you should aim for, preferably the former since it already has that impressive base 116 speed stat.

If you have Sap Sipper, running a physical attacking set would be somewhat viable, but a special attacker set would still be the superior choice.

Zebstrika @Choice Scarf
Sap Sipper/Lightningrod ability
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power Ice/Grass

or

Zebstrika @Life Orb
Sap Sipper/Lightningrod ability
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Hidden Power Ice/Grass
~ Protect/Volt Switch
(this is more of a VGC set though)
__________________

Last edited by Zeffy; December 31st, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
  #283    
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
AdrianD's Avatar
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffy View Post
Despite of Zebstrika's base 100 Attack stat, Zebstrika should be used more as a special attacker since its physical movepool is undesirable. A Modest/Timid natured one is what you should aim for, preferably the former since it already has that impressive base 116 speed stat.

If you have Sap Sipper, running a physical attacking set would be somewhat viable, but a special attacker set would still be the superior choice.

Zebstrika @Choice Scarf
Sap Sipper/Lightningrod ability
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power Ice/Grass

or

Zebstrika @Life Orb
Sap Sipper/Lightningrod ability
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Hidden Power Ice/Grass
~ Protect/Volt Switch
(this is more of a VGC set though)

Is there a good physical move set because I have enough Specials
__________________
X- 2406 5987 8799
PS3 - Mkeborn87
  #284    
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:23 AM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Is there a good physical move set because I have enough Specials
There's not really that much you can do. You could go like, Return, Wild Charge, Double Kick and Overheat, running a mixed set (latter to hit grass types such as Amoonguss which you can do little to otherwise due to it being physically defensive usually) but really you're better off with special or nothing at all. Eelektross works better as a physical Pokemon (although overall it's better off with the special sets usually), where you can use Wild Charge/Drain Punch/Dragon Tail/Coil/Subsitute (one of the latter two, or skip on Dragon Tail, etc up to you but without Dragon Tail it's walled by Golurk).
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
  #285    
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM
AdrianD's Avatar
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
There's not really that much you can do. You could go like, Return, Wild Charge, Double Kick and Overheat, running a mixed set (latter to hit grass types such as Amoonguss which you can do little to otherwise due to it being physically defensive usually) but really you're better off with special or nothing at all. Eelektross works better as a physical Pokemon (although overall it's better off with the special sets usually), where you can use Wild Charge/Drain Punch/Dragon Tail/Coil/Subsitute (one of the latter two, or skip on Dragon Tail, etc up to you but without Dragon Tail it's walled by Golurk).

Are there any decent Physical and fast pokemon that can be used?
__________________
X- 2406 5987 8799
PS3 - Mkeborn87
  #286    
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM
PlatinumDude's Avatar
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Are there any decent Physical and fast pokemon that can be used?
Weavile and Ambipom are a couple examples. Durant is another, as well as Cinccino.

Weavile:
-Pursuit
-Ice Shard
-Low Kick
-Ice Punch/Night Slash
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Pressure

or
-Swords Dance
-Ice Punch/Ice Shard
-Night Slash
-Low Kick
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Pressure

Ambipom:
-Fake Out
-Return/Double Hit
-Low Kick
-Beat Up/Shadow Claw
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Technician

or
-Return/Double Hit
-Low Kick
-Beat Up/Pursuit
-Switcheroo/U-turn
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Technician

Durant:
-Hone Claws
-X-Scissor
-Iron Head/Superpower
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Hustle

Cinccino:
-Tail Slap
-Bullet Seed
-Rock Blast
-U-turn
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
__________________

  #287    
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:58 PM
Cyanide's Avatar
Cyanide
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakoBlare View Post
is there any mixed wall water type to take place of slowking?

Its not a mix, but milotic is a wonderful wall.
__________________
Smogon OU singles

WINS:24
LOSE:6
DRAWS:0

VGC Doubles

wins: 23
Lose:8
draws: 0

Always up for a battle, PM me!

FC gen 5: 2924-7487-5102
FC WHITE2: still too lazy to look.

ARMY STRONG
  #288    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
Azire's Avatar
Azire
Mr. Premier Ball
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I need help understanding the roles of weather starters. I want to breed all four weather starters. My main issue is dealing with Speed. It is my understanding that the slower Pokemon gets the lasting weather effect. Now does this mean you want a low Speed IV? A Speed hindering nature?

I fully intend on breeding Max IV in everything but Speed. So what I need to know is the desired Speed IV, nature and any egg moves for these Pokemon. Also a desired Hidden Power unless this changes from person to person.

Abomasnow
Ninetails
Politoad
Tyranitar

I guess if you have the info for Hippowdon I can breed those later.
__________________
Normal Safari: Kecleon, Lillipup, Ditto
(Ditto Unavailable Due To Restart)
Azire's Premier Pokémon
Please Leave A Review If We Trade
Trader Review Thread
Pairs: Champion Lunis

Last edited by Azire; January 3rd, 2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Forgot Hidden Power
  #289    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
PlatinumDude's Avatar
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAzire View Post
I need help understanding the roles of weather starters. I want to breed all four weather starters. My main issue is dealing with Speed. It is my understanding that the slower Pokemon gets the lasting weather effect. Now does this mean you want a low Speed IV? A Speed hindering nature?

I fully intend on breeding Max IV in everything but Speed. So what I need to know is the desired Speed IV, nature and any egg moves for these Pokemon. Also a desired Hidden Power unless this changes from person to person.

Abomasnow
Ninetails
Politoad
Tyranitar

I guess if you have the info for Hippowdon I can breed those later.
Ninetales can always set up Sunny Day when up against opposing weather inducers. HP Ice is the preferred HP type for special attacking sets; it has no reason for using Hidden Power when it's using a defensive set.

Politoed's viable HP type is Grass. It's rather slow anyway, so there's no need for max Speed IVs here, unless you're going for Choice Scarf. The best thing to do when you're up against Sand or Hail teams is not to set Politoed as your lead when the match starts, but to only bring it in when necessary.

Tyranitar has no reason to use Hidden Power, as its movepool is very wide. It's rather slow anyway, so it can use a Sassy nature alongside Fire Blast.

HP Fire is the best option for Abomasnow. Regarding the IVs, see Politoed.
__________________

  #290    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:15 PM
Azire's Avatar
Azire
Mr. Premier Ball
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Well the reason I asked is because I like perfection. Basically from what you've said none of their speed IV matter? So I can have 0 or 31?
__________________
Normal Safari: Kecleon, Lillipup, Ditto
(Ditto Unavailable Due To Restart)
Azire's Premier Pokémon
Please Leave A Review If We Trade
Trader Review Thread
Pairs: Champion Lunis
  #291    
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:20 PM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAzire View Post
Well the reason I asked is because I like perfection. Basically from what you've said none of their speed IV matter? So I can have 0 or 31?
Ninetales does, generally most of its sets benefit from a 31 speed IV because they generally go with a Timid nature as Ninetales is more of a sweeper than the others (for example when setting up Nasty Plot, etc).
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
  #292    
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Clef's Avatar
Clef
Comet Rider
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Female
I do not understand tiers.
So a NU team means that you can only use NU pokemon? Who is there to stop me from putting a NU and a OU together?
  #293    
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:29 AM
RandomTrainerWhoCould's Avatar
RandomTrainerWhoCould
Yo
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clef View Post
I do not understand tiers.
So a NU team means that you can only use NU pokemon? Who is there to stop me from putting a NU and a OU together?
Go on battle sims like PO, if you try to look for a battle in the NU tier and you have an OU poke, it'll tell you that and stop you from finding a battle until you've made them all NU
__________________
Hax is supposed to happen. Scald has a 100% burn rate(willowisp w/ perfect accuracy); paralysis has a 75% chance of kicking in; Rock slide misses more than stone edge; Hustle= 50% more power at the cost of 100% accuracy.
I get haxed a lot and the hax gods who are the gods of hax hate me I'm sad :[
  #294    
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Clef's Avatar
Clef
Comet Rider
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Female
I don't even know what that is. I just battle via friend code or on random matchup
  #295    
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clef View Post
I don't even know what that is. I just battle via friend code or on random matchup
He means http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/~~cb...com:8000/lobby. Which simulates Pokemon teams that you can put together without breeding or stuff. Those tiers only really apply to simulator play. For you, it doesn't matter if you put an OU or NU Pokemon together, while for those who use battle simulators like that it does kind of matter as there's a big difference in power in most cases (while there are exceptions).
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
  #296    
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Fire Flyy's Avatar
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: below the heavens
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clef View Post
I do not understand tiers.
So a NU team means that you can only use NU pokemon? Who is there to stop me from putting a NU and a OU together?
me
__________________
  #297    
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:52 PM
vapes's Avatar
vapes
Togepi
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Unova
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
This is a simple question. I have this Vaporeon and I have trained it to level 100; I just wanted to know how it will fare in the metagame. I was redirected from the Quick Question thread to here so mods...don't delete this.

Vaporeon
Bold (Often dozes off) @ leftovers
HP: 464 AtK: 123 Def: 221 SP ATK: 229 SP Def: 220 Speed: 168

Surf, Toxic, Acid Armour, Protect

Should I rebreed or this a good Vaporeon?
__________________
_

White FC: 2967 8981 9744

White 2 FC: 4342 1706 0881 (usually for trades; I have pretty good Pokes in my PC)



Last edited by vapes; January 8th, 2013 at 02:01 PM.
  #298    
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
More than stats as global, EVs and preferably IVs would help in deciding.
Bold is a good nature so in that field it's pretty good.
__________________
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack. | Previous Sign 2 | Previous Sign

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
  #299    
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:24 AM
PlatinumDude's Avatar
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapes View Post
This is a simple question. I have this Vaporeon and I have trained it to level 100; I just wanted to know how it will fare in the metagame. I was redirected from the Quick Question thread to here so mods...don't delete this.

Vaporeon
Bold (Often dozes off) @ leftovers
HP: 464 AtK: 123 Def: 221 SP ATK: 229 SP Def: 220 Speed: 168

Surf, Toxic, Acid Armour, Protect

Should I rebreed or this a good Vaporeon?
Moveset needs work. Acid Armor is only good for Baton Pass sets:
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb

or
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Acid Armor/Aqua Ring/Wish
-Scald/Roar
Nature: Bold
EV: 244 HP/136 Def/128 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
__________________

  #300    
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Dragonmage's Avatar
Dragonmage
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Special Sweeper-Magnezone
-Thunderbolt
-Magnet Rise
-Flash Cannon
-Signal Beam
EV:
152 HP
252 SAtk
100 Spd

Physical Wall-Carracosta
Item: Chesto Berry
-Aqua Jet
-Ancient Power
-Ice Beam
-Rest
EV:
200 HP
52 Atk
252 Def

This is the start of my tournament team. I'm thinking of adding in a Blissey as a special wall, and Scizor as a baton passer. Any suggestions (other pokemon to use, builds, etc)?
__________________

Check out my trade shop http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296739
Midori and I will both thank you!

Pokemon White FC: 0905 2241 5057
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3096 5973 8776
 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.