The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Chit Chat Café

Notices

Chit Chat Café Wondering what your fellow members are eating for breakfast? Want to chat about the weather or other silly things? Idle chit-chat and polls go here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:49 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Impish
Do you get misunderstood a lot?

Do you have a hard time understanding people sometimes?

Do you prefer text or speaking? (ie do you have a lot of emotion/sarcasm in your speech)

could you ····ing not
·
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:57 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
Tyrunt
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Quiet
Sometimes. But it can result in some funny confusion so it's cool. :x

If mishearing counts, then yeah. I:

Depends on the conversation. If it's something private (which I generally would only discuss with my best friend), then I'd rather it be face-to-face, out of fear of someone else finding the text or whatever. :x But I am sarcastic, so I guess that could result in misunderstandings if I'm not actually saying it.

Pokemon Y Pokedex entry
My Trade Review Thread
Just a Trade Sh⊗p
Paired to Amaura
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
I think I articulate pretty clearly, and I don't talk to a lot of drunk people, so I understand others pretty clearly as well.

Old January 9th, 2013, 11:55 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pikakitten
I don't really get misunderstood, with all my languages I can pretty much pull off the accent xD
I understand people most of the time, unless I'm sleepy or my parents say some Spanish phrase I've never heard and I'm like "TF? xD"
I think talking, it seems more like a bond that way xD
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Lax
I don't get misunderstood that much really, apart from occasional times, but who doesn't.

I don't prefer texting or speaking over each other, as I feel I can communicate effectively .
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
Talli does a lot, that's cause I have trouble with prenounation I prefer texting I guess.
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:16 AM
♣Gawain♣
Onward to Music!!!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ♣Gawain♣ Send a message via Yahoo to ♣Gawain♣
Sometimes. They say I ate my words when I talk, or some of it doesn't really make sense.

VM Δ PMPairsDeviantArtPlaying...ClubsTheme
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Esper

I have trouble being understood more than I have understanding so I prefer writing over speaking for clarity reasons, but not so much that I won't talk to someone. I mean, writing is for when you need to send a short text or when someone is in another time zone and you don't need a response right away. Speaking and writing have different uses.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Get misunderstood all the time and it's really annoying, more online than offline so it might just be the language barrier but yeah.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I only seem to get misunderstood if I don't use smilies and people tend to assume things of me or think I'm more serious than I actually am! It's a little annoying because I don't like to have people assume things of me, but oh well, everyone does it once in a while!
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
I am beyond the comprehension of the average human being. Understand me? ME? Don't be ridiculous! You cannot predict me. My thoughts, actions, motives [gotta catch em' all, Pokemon!] transcend you all!

I can find it hard to understand someone if they have a particularly strong accent or if they have a significant speech problem.

Not too fussed about speech or text but probably prefer speech.
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Aquanova
Shiny Celebi's Alt

Nature: Relaxed
Sometimes people misunderstand me because I don't explain things very well or say things the right way.

I don't usually misunderstand people, because Im very observant and pick up on little things, however there are times when I do.

I prefer text, easier to get my point across and I rarely stumble over my words like when I speak.
Old January 10th, 2013, 09:46 PM
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
Sometimes I wonder if I stuck cotton balls in my ears when I was little and no one ever knew about it because I feel like I'm constantly saying "Huh?" to people. It's become a habit to just pretend I'm following logical points, and I've gotten pretty good at it.

I prefer communicating through text, because I think I type more eloquently than I speak. Misunderstandings occur either way, though.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Catholic Nun
Back in the habit.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Catholic Nun
I'm misunderstood a lot more offline than I am online. Typing is better because you have more time to think and it's difficult to put you on the spot, whereas a certain amount of 'thinking on one's feet' is necessary when talking in person. The one advantage speaking has is that it's easier to communicate your exact meaning through your inflection, but I've found ways around that when I'm typing and I've become more adept at that than I am at communicating verbally

Moderator of Chit Chat Cafe
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Nearsighted king of Ice
We'll get to that tomorrow

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nearsighted king of Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Nearsighted king of Ice
Yes I get misunderstood a lot, not everyone gets my humor and sarcasm. There's a lot of terms people use that I don't get... I prefer speaking because I am sarcastic a lot.

Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Black FC: 1592-5761-9212
Pokemon X FC: 2921-9174-9000
Old January 13th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
I get misunderstood a lot of times, but I don't mind. I usually take my time to explain it over and over again, until the person gets it right. Most of the time I'm very sarcastic, but it doesn't last very long, especially when the person I'm talking to gets irritated.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old January 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
It's weird. If I ever go abroad, people normally understand me absolutely perfectly. I was booking some flights over the phone and needed to speak to the Spanish office of Iberia, for some reason. The delightful Spanish woman at the other end of the phone understood everything I said perfectly, and I didn't make any attempt to talk slower or anything! And yet when I order takeaway food in the UK, I'm forever having to repeat my name or my phone number or the address as the person on the other end of the line has absolutely no idea what I'm saying! It's weird, I'll give it that. Face-to-face speaking is a bit easier for all involved, as I can use bodily language and intonation to get across my message. I definitely prefer it to phone conversation and typing, as a loooooot of my verbal and physical mannerisms get lost when I just write everything down.
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

I don't get misunderstood as much as I feel that I do. Sometimes I'll say something and then immediately think "Oh CRAP that came out wrong" but either I'm the only one who notices or people don't call me out on it. Sometimes I don't understand other people (more often due to not hearing correctly instead of misinterpreting) but I'm stubborn and I'll agree or disagree depending on the tone it was said in. If I asked people to repeat things because I didn't hear properly, conversations would never end.

Sponsored Links