The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Spinosaurus
Your favorite Pokemon sucks.

Elite Beat Agents, Ghost Trick, Rhythm Heaven and Hotel Dusk. Get to it.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
All heard good stuff about all them; especially Rhythm Heaven from you xD

I've been willing to try out EBA amd Hotel Dusk for a while now, so that's cool. Haven't really heard about Ghost Trick, however, interesting...
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Doesn't Ghost Trick have the adorable dog?
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Spinosaurus

Missile? Yeah. Pretty amazing character.

But Cabanela is the best.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Missile? Yeah. Pretty amazing character.

But Cabanela is the best.
Isn't that just Michael Jackson in a game? XD
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
Isn't that just Michael Jackson in a game? XD
Michael Jackson was probably the base for the character xD. Gee, that guy enters the room and instantly owns it...
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
It was the twirl that did it for me! XD
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Always interesting to see unique characters like that.

*looks at sig*

Yeah Vaas just wins. xD
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I dunno why but I like unique game characters. There's a surprising amount of generic ones.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

I don't think we see too much of them, unfortunately. I mean, the ones I can think of off the top of my head are all very focused on in the game. Let's take Vaas for example, all the focus is on him, the enemy, and you; but in an RPG it's always gonna be on you. I know there are quite a few unique characters in Skyrim actually, if you follow the main quest you come across the weird and spectacular. That is why I love the game, so much variety.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I dunno why but I like unique game characters. There's a surprising amount of generic ones.
Oh god, I want your theme! H-H-H-HURRY UP and give it to me!

That reminds me, I need to go and get 100% on super hard mode. Toxic Landfill kicked my ass last time I tried. (But I can't get mad when it means I get to listen to the badasss BGM more.)
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Quote:

That reminds me, I need to go and get 100% on super hard mode. Toxic Landfill kicked my ass last time I tried. (But I can't get mad when it means I get to listen to the badasss BGM more.)
Such a Wario freak...gosh, Spino! :3

I really hope they would really a new Yoshi game sometime soon. I'm guessing that the Wii U would be a good fit, something adventure-y. Or at least on the 3DS!
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Spinosaurus

It's very possible there's gonna be a Yoshi's Island game on the Wii U. Someone "accidently" hacked the Wii U (he got the Wii U before the street date and when he got on miiverse he had admin powers) and when he looked at the listed game "Yoshi's Land Wii U" or something like that was listed. (Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy were listed as well.)

To be honest, I don't care. Yoshi's Island is, imo, a terribly overrated game that has nothing special. As a platformer, it's abysmal, because Yoshi controls horrible and the only way to die is by falling because it's easy to get back Baby Mario. It's basically a collectathon mixed with Mario Bros.. Level design is the only thing that it has going for it, but with the the bad physics and easy difficulty they're completely neutralized.

Wario Land and Donkey Kong Country are better. Hell, Wario and DK are better than Yoshi in general, I don't get the love for the green dinosaur.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; January 11th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

I really think Yoshi's Island has some of the tightest controls in any platformer ever - the jump works perfectly, and the ability to hover to squeeze a little more distance out is fantastic, I mean I like Donkey Kong Country but the characters always felt a little too weighty for my tastes.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Spinosaurus

Yoshi feels too floaty to me, and I'm not a fan of the eggs mechanics. (Ruins the pace) Yeah, DK and Diddy weren't much in the original trilogy, but at least it's more about traditional, precise platforming. (Especially DKC2.) DKCR however, had the perfect control physics, and I consider it the best in the series.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:

I tried playing Fiery Cavern earlier, and it being my first playthrough of the game, and I couldn't beat it. Gonna go back to it later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuoaman View Post
I really think Yoshi's Island has some of the tightest controls in any platformer ever - the jump works perfectly, and the ability to hover to squeeze a little more distance out is fantastic, I mean I like Donkey Kong Country but the characters always felt a little too weighty for my tastes.
I have to agree. I've played the GBA version, idk if the physics are any different on the SNES version, but I really like the physics and controls..

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I tried playing Fiery Cavern earlier, and it being my first playthrough of the game, and I couldn't beat it. Gonna go back to it later.

I have to agree. I've played the GBA version, idk if the physics are any different on the SNES version, but I really like the physics and controls..
Fiery Cavern's easy when you know one thing: You can kill the ape by butt stomping on it.
I had trouble at first but it was a breeze getting everything in it. (Except in Hard when I couldn't find the last jewel.)
Game's really easy, even in Hard mode. (I knew all secrets beforehand except for the Ruby and Sapphire levels, but I managed myself.) It's until super hard mode when you start dying every time. Emerald Passage, which is the easiest, is imo the hardest in super hard because of the fact you start with one health and the enemy placement is the WORST. (Know that alligator in Monsoon Jungle? There's two/three of them each section.) The red spearmasks in Wildflower Field were also absolutely dreadful, and I didn't change their colors because I was aiming for the golden crown. (Though turned out I had a lot of unnecessary points at the end because of that lol.)
Though so far Ruby passage might beat it. I only beat Topaz and Emerald.

I should give Yoshi's Island another try. My memory might be hazy about it. I still don't like the pacing and mechanics.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; January 11th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

I have really great memories of my mom despising that game in particular because constant baby crying all the time because I was miserable at it, hahaha. So I love it for nostalgia purposes only!
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Spinosaurus

I'm sure everyone is guilty of nostalgia. Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario because it's my first one.
On another note, I finished Hotel Dusk. Can't say I didn't see that twist coming, but damn.

Also shameless advertising, but I did a video of Elite Beat Agents. Whatcha think? (Sound is a BIT off sync, so sorry about that.)
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Spino, nice beats there! One quote at the end that struck me "Your Mum sure is pretty" "I know"...wow. xD
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
I'm sure everyone is guilty of nostalgia. Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario because it's my first one.
On another note, I finished Hotel Dusk. Can't say I didn't see that twist coming, but damn.

Also shameless advertising, but I did a video of Elite Beat Agents. Whatcha think? (Sound is a BIT off sync, so sorry about that.)
<snip>
Glad to see I'm not the only one that emulates here. I did this earlier this week:

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old January 12th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Ahh, more Wario games. That key really looks like it could be a potential Pokemon.

I'm working on a Let's Play currently, gonna have it up sometime in not too long. As for my next review, I'm just waiting for some CSS to be done :3
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Low View Post
Ahh, more Wario games. That key really looks like it could be a potential Pokemon.

I'm working on a Let's Play currently, gonna have it up sometime in not too long. As for my next review, I'm just waiting for some CSS to be done :3
I have a Vietnamese Crystal LP, but I've been too busy to work on it. I think I may restart it when I get a laptop so I can do running commentary alongside. I do have a longplay video of Super Mario Land though. I can finish it in less than half an hour.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old January 12th, 2013, 07:11 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Yoshi's Island is perhaps the greatest 2D sidescroller platformer. And the DS sequel was surprisngly good except for Wario.
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Yay, another Yoshi's Island fan! But I do seriously hope a remake of that game is in order, I would be playing that like a madman. With new graphics possibilities, mechanics and everything, the game would work so well on the Wii U/3DS.

Sponsored Links