The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Thomas Wiencek

Do Pokémon eat other Pokémon in the games? Or in the anime? Or in the manga?
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:06 PM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Relaxed
I do believe pokemon eat other pokemon in all of the above, seeing as various pokedex entries state pokemon preying on each other or even outright eating one another.
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:14 PM
scprepschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageHound View Post
I do believe pokemon eat other pokemon in all of the above, seeing as various pokedex entries state pokemon preying on each other or even outright eating one another.

Yep. I think heatmors one dex entry ( white or black 1) went as far as to say that heatmor actually use its fiery tongue to burn out durants insides... or something. It seemed like one of the more mature dex entries in a while
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Pidgeot stated that they eat Magikarps and we've seen a Pidgeotto try to eat Ash's Caterpie.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Deceit
Toxic.

Nature: Timid
Yeah, as people have been saying, there have been dex entries that state that certain pokemon eat others. There have also been a few instances in the anime where this happened, though we have never actually seen a pokemon eat another.
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Various PokeDex entries mention the Pokemon either eating other Pokemon, or mention the Pokemon itself being eaten. So it definitely does happen, even if we can't actually see it.

In the anime we've seen various instances of humans trying to eat Pokemon; I wouldn't be surprised if (especially in the first season) there were some instances of a Pokemon attempting to eat another.

I cannot speak for any of the manga, though. Granted, PokeSpe can be kind of gruesome at times so it's definitely a possibility.
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:19 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Some Pokedex entries outline a them eating other Pokemons' eggs. The only example from the top of my head is Ekans, who enjoys Spearow and Pidgey eggs.

So yes, they do.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Jin Of The Gale
King of the Gales

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Jin Of The Gale
Some Pokemon do eat Pokemon like it has been mentioned above. But at the same time, I'm wondering if humans in the Pokemon world eat Pokemon too. What else can people go fishing for everyday? They're obviously going to eat all the sea Pokemon they catch with their rods. :o

✝REST IN PEACE✝
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Correspondence

Its probably same as the real world, the predator eats the prey.Or they would die of starvation.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Blade_of_darkness
War Machine
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Nature is a cruel mistress indeed. The real world has its food chain, & so does Pokémon.

I mean really, how do some of them get their sustenance? By eating other Pokémon. What else do I need to say?

^ The last thing you see before you die ^
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
With Pokemon for the most part replacing animals in the Pokemon world, it seems obvious that the food chain would be fairly similar (with multiple Pokedex entries mentioning Pokemon predators and prey). I don't think that it will ever be outwardly implied that a person or Pokemon is eating another Pokemon, but I don't think there's any denying it exists.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Altix
Son of a Snivy and a Zoroark

Nature: Docile
yes, in one episode it talks about spinarks catching other pokemon
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:31 PM
#1-Trainer
Poke' Master.

Nature: Hardy
People eat pokemon too! Imagine chomping down a hearty Tauros burger or a krabby patty - I had to, just had to. Bitd when Pokemon where just animals, not chairs and lamps it made sense that people and pokemon ate pokemon.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:38 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-Trainer View Post
People eat pokemon too! Imagine chomping down a hearty Tauros burger or a krabby patty - I had to, just had to. Bitd when Pokemon where just animals, not chairs and lamps it made sense that people and pokemon ate pokemon.
True but I wouldn't eat a species if it was my friend, like if I had a Tauros on my team, I could never eat Tauros burgers again xD

BTW, hilarious, Krabby Patty xD
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
I know Pokemon eat each other in the manga and anime.
In the manga, I vaguely remember Bill turning himself into a bug Pokemon and almost being eaten by a Fearow. Or something that that. (Pokemon Adventures.)
In the anime, when Ash got Caterpie he used it against a Pigeotto who almost ate it.
There hasn't been any mention of Pokemon eating one another in the games, beyond Pokemon descriptions (at least to my knowledge.)
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Yes.

An example from an old Pokédex entry: Pidgeot skims the surface of water to prey on Magikarp.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Capt. Pika
Unhatched Egg

I think yes.
Cubone for example: It wears the skull of his mother right after his birth. A Marowak need two to four month to decay. Either the mother dies before the Cubone hatch but then the mother can't protect the egg or the newborn Cubone eats his mother (probably that's the reason why the mother always die).
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
It would be a really weird ecosystem if Pokemon DIDN'T eat other Pokemon. (Obviously not Pokemon of the same species... but I digress!) If all those gigantic, ridiculously strong Pokemon didn't eat some form of meat, how would they get so strong? Presumably Protein doesn't just grow in the wild! :P That being said, lots of them would probably be herbivores, with a select few being omnivores, a sizeable chunk being carnivores, and some more just feasting off mystical energy or something. I dunno... as you can tell, I haven't approached this subject in great depth! :D
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:24 PM
vapes
Togepi

I don't know; I'd eat Tepig if I had to

White FC: 2967 8981 9744

White 2 FC: 4342 1706 0881 (usually for trades; I have pretty good Pokes in my PC)

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Rou.Tsuki
It's happy hour somewhere...

Nature: Quirky
They could just be berry-loving, or Poke-pellet eating pokemon! >_<
Ok, maybe not. But it's really hard to see them eat each other. Or the people eating them... I guess that's why they never said where the food supply is coming from.
Yum... Tentacruel-yaki! Or Buneary stew.
My
Vivillon Pattern: High Plains
Friend Safari: POISON - Whirlipede, Kakuna
, and Garbodor
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:09 PM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Why wouldn't they? Its the natural order of nature. The strong prey upon the weak for survival. It is actually what make Pokemon evolve and have abilities in the first place.
Sure, I'm one of those guys who believe normal animal exist and they were eaten as normal food for wild Pokemons. But I still thought that the main diet of carnivorous Pokemon (all of them still can eate berries, yes, but why would Houndoom have fangs at all if they just eat berries?) is other Pokemon.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:50 AM
GhastlyGastly
Crazy Pokémon Lady

Nature: Sassy
Numerous sources refer to this fact, yes. I do believe that Pokémon prey upon each other. For example, Pidgeotto is explicitly stated to hunt Exeggcute in its FireRed Pokédex entry, and the anime suggests that they also prey on Caterpie and Magikarp.

Another interesting question is whether people eat Pokémon. There is evidence that they do. Team Rocket cuts off Slowpoke tails and sells them as food in Johto, and Farfetch'd is stated as having been driven nearly to extinction due to its having been hunted as a prized delicacy. (Fun fact: Farfetch'd is based on the Japanese proverb which is abbreviated as kamonegi (which is Farfetch'd's Japanese name), which literally means "a duck comes bearing green onions", which refers to something surprising but convenient and welcome occurring; Farfetch'd leek is a reference to this proverb, due to roasted duck served with green onions having been a great delicacy in Japan, hence the saying.)
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM
Stygian
誰か

Nature: Hasty
The Pokemon world would seem more interesting if the Pokemon eat each other, so yes, I believe that Pokemon eat other Pokemon. It seems kinda canon already as numerous hints are shown in the games, the manga (I think?) and anime. It adds a realistic sense to the Pokemon world. But I only see them preying on the smaller kinds of Pokemon, such as Caterpie and Feebas.

· family ·
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:08 AM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
It's explicitly stated in multiple Pokedex entries that Pokemon do eat other Pokemon. Swellow and Pidgeot come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhastlyGastly View Post
Another interesting question is whether people eat Pokémon. There is evidence that they do. Team Rocket cuts off Slowpoke tails and sells them as food in Johto, and Farfetch'd is stated as having been driven nearly to extinction due to its having been hunted as a prized delicacy. (Fun fact: Farfetch'd is based on the Japanese proverb which is abbreviated as kamonegi (which is Farfetch'd's Japanese name), which literally means "a duck comes bearing green onions", which refers to something surprising but convenient and welcome occurring; Farfetch'd leek is a reference to this proverb, due to roasted duck served with green onions having been a great delicacy in Japan, hence the saying.)
In Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, a book written in a library in one town explicitly states that people eat Pokemon, and return their bones to nature so they can be reborn. Or something like that.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
François
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
You know, I would love to see someone draw up a theorethical Pokémon food web. I could spend an age studying it.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links