The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Forever

So there's a thread discussing the starters but nothing speculating on how you'll receive them. How do you want to receive them this time around? Would you like it similar to B/W, where you were given them as a present? Or where you had to grab one to save someone? Or maybe like B2/W2 where you were given them by an assistant? Discuss your thoughts!

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.

Nature: Gentle
I think it'll probably go to the direction of Gen III, where you would have to grab one to either save the professor, or someone else~! :3 Though I don't really mind how, tbh. When it comes to how the starters are received, I just like to be surprised. XD
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Ohhh maybe to save someone or something! That would be kind of an epic way to have a starter. n__n Maybe if say, the bad guys came into the lab, all the pokemon in the lab were 'altered' in some way, except the three starter pokemon, and you'd have to choose one to save the lab?

Or something like that! Mmm, well, I'd like to receive a starter thaaaat breaks away from the traditional 'received from the professor/assistant/whoever else'.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Magmaruby and Aquasapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Calm
Maybe we can get them from our mother who could be the local proffesor or something like that .
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Arlo

I hadn't even really thought about this...

RSE were pretty good, since the choice had that air of emergency about it, and it dealt with the whole opening process well - wander around town first, then start to head out and BLAM - pick a pokemon and fight a battle and find out what it's all about just like that.

The more traditional process of being deliberately given one, then having your first fight be against a rival/friend is fine, but it's been done a lot of times now.

I did find the start of DPPt, where you basically just steal a pokemon and get away with it, to be sort of weird.

I'd say I'd most like to see it happen some way that will surprise me and satisfy me. I'm not sure what that way might be, since whatever it is, it'd surprise me. :D
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!

What I'd like to see... is something like how Hugh got his starter... was from raising it from it's egg form.

I'd like to see something like that for the player, and just as soon as the player walks to where his Pokémon is, then it shows a silhouette of some shape (where you choose as either Chespin, Fennekin or Froakie) and then taking it with you. And that it would say something that you've raised this Pokémon since it was an egg.

Wouldn't that be interesting? I know it kind of sounds familiar to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, but I think that would be a great concept.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Dragonmage
Unhatched Egg

I would like to be able to catch my starter. It hasn't been done before (other than Wally in RSE) and I think it would be kind of cool.

Check out my trade shop http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296739
Midori and I will both thank you!

Pokemon White FC: 0905 2241 5057
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3096 5973 8776
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I'd kind of like it to be through a dream. You start the game off and instantly a dream of the past (be it a few days ago, years ago, or something like that) comes up about how you received your starter and you'd choose through there. Then you'd wake up in your bed in the present time!

...kind of a silly thought perhaps, but I like it. <3;

pair | family | irl pair | lovelies
club 1 club 2 club 3 club 4
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmage View Post
I would like to be able to catch my starter. It hasn't been done before (other than Wally in RSE) and I think it would be kind of cool.
That would be cool! I can imagine some kind of travel-type thing, where you're at home and the Professor says you can travel to a farm (you know how they breed Starters on farms), and the farm you choose to go to decides which Pokemon you're going to catch. It would be a great way to take advantage of the 3D too, as they could go by plane and give an aerial region view at the same time!
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Vehks

I'd like to actually save or help my starter get out of some kind of trouble. Take the Pokemon colloseum and Gale of darkness. Helping those shadow pokemon really made me feel attached to them. They weren't just a gift, they actually had a back story.

Afterall, Gamefreak wants us to form attachments to our Pokemon right? Well, anyway this is all my opinion of course.
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Khrysta

I want to walk up into a Pokemon Lab, say high to the professor. If male, I really REALLY want to deck the hell out of him and yank as many starters as possible.
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Vehks

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
I want to walk up into a Pokemon Lab, say high to the professor. If male, I really REALLY want to deck the hell out of him and yank as many starters as possible.
So basically, you want to be a member of the Gen 6 evil team?
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Someone in another thread had this idea that the lab would be under attack and the starters would have escaped. When you arrive, the region professor would ask you to chase after them. You come across a point where you have to choose which way you want to go. There would be three different choices leading you to three different locations that have a theme or connection to the starter's type. Whichever path you choose, is the starter you'll end up with. I'm also going to add that when you find said starter, it'll be found in the middle of a scuffle with another wild Pokémon. This is when you get your chance at a first battle with one of the starters before it's actually yours.

The beginning of RSE was my favorite, because it was different from the other games. DPPt would come next for similar reasons. Although, the only difference between DPPt and RSE's start was that RSE managed to move at a much faster pace so it didn't feel like you were stuck at the start for too long. That's the only issue I would see this idea having, is that for some it may seem too tedious when all you really want to do is just get on your way and begin your journey.

But anything from the traditional way, I'd be happy about. It keeps things fresh.
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pikakitten
I hope it's something different, each gen seems to be somewhat unique.
Gen I
In fear that a Pidgey might kill you somehow, Prof. Oak gives you a pokemon xD

Gen II
You just go and get it but then your rival steals his xD

Gen III
You use your starter to save Prof. Birch, and sadly Gen IV just ripped it off xD

Gen V
You recieve it as a present/you go find the Proffesor's assistant, who was one of your rivals previously to get it.

All I hope is that it's unique, Gen IV was the only copycat xD
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
curiousnathan
I will find you

Nature: Quiet
I'd really like to catch my first Pokemon! I think that's a simple yet brilliant idea to be honest. Perhaps the professor invites you along on a research trip around the local area and then you somehow encounter you starter through choice. (Don't know how this would pan out at this point, really.)

moderator |
lovely pair | PC live
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
I'd really like to catch my first Pokemon! I think that's a simple yet brilliant idea to be honest. Perhaps the professor invites you along on a research trip around the local area and then you somehow encounter you starter through choice. (Don't know how this would pan out at this point, really.)
I think that's how Hiiro's scenario would fit in nicely. Then if they want to have future events where you get another starter, you can go explore the other areas where the other starters would have been.

The only thing with that is it would make starter shiny hunting really time-consuming again because you wouldn't know it was a shiny until you went into the area, instead of seeing it in the pokeball.
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Zupplu
Hey Listen! ~Navi

Send a message via Skype™ to Zupplu
I'd love being able to catch a starter! Also, another Idea could be getting a it as a gift fom graduating from Pokemon school or something, from someone close like a friend or parent. Then the professor could ask you If you had a Pokemon, and you could say yes. How I've wanted to do that for so long.....

E M M E R Y N
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

I'd like to be digging through a specially marked box my our favorite sugar cereal to find the special prize at the bottom!.... No? No maybe not

I really like what they did with RSE, thought it kinda spelled out the fact that the world would be dangerous without a Pokémon by your side. Other than that, I'm liking this idea of the lab being attacks. Something more cinematic and interesting like that would be good
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Hamako-chan
Our unbreakable bond...

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Hamako-chan Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hamako-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Hamako-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
That would be cool! I can imagine some kind of travel-type thing, where you're at home and the Professor says you can travel to a farm (you know how they breed Starters on farms), and the farm you choose to go to decides which Pokemon you're going to catch. It would be a great way to take advantage of the 3D too, as they could go by plane and give an aerial region view at the same time!
I like this idea. Or instead of farms, it could be three different habitats: (Volcano, Swamp and Forest). At each habitat you would be able to capture a starter Pokemon corresponding to the habitat's environment. That would be nice.

White FC: 2881 2384 3038
Platinum FC: 4082 4798 2423
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Zupplu
Hey Listen! ~Navi

Send a message via Skype™ to Zupplu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamako-chan View Post
I like this idea. Or instead of farms, it could be three different habitats: (Volcano, Swamp and Forest). At each habitat you would be able to capture a starter Pokemon corresponding to the habitat's environment. That would be nice.
That would be amazing, and indeed possible. Sounds like a great idea.

E M M E R Y N
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Deceit
Toxic.

I kind of want it to be similar to previous games, but also different. So, you go to the professor's lab, but as you walk in, the three starter pokemon run out the door, and through the town. The professor then comes out and says they escaped, and asks for your help to catch them. You say yes, then as you leave the town, there are 3 paths (fire, water, grass), and the professor tells you to pick one, and he/she will get another path, and his/her assistant will take the other. After you choose a path, the professor gives you a pokeball to catch the starter (or maybe return the starter to the ball), and then you go on the path.Then you have to look a bit to find the starter, and then you proceed to catch it. I was also thinking at this part, you may have a battle with either the rival or the evil team, but that's just an extra thought.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Polizard
Awesome Trainer

Nature: Bold
I think for something different, you pick your Pokemon when you start the game when you name yourself.

Then when you wake up the Pokemon you have chosen is sitting at he foot of your bed and starts following you (similar to HGSS).

Then on your mum's advice you visit the regional professor who is in the next town and she said that Pokemon had escaped from the lab and was meant to be a choice for a new trainer but it has bonded with you so she lets you keep it and gives you its Pokeball and a Pokedex.

Then enter the rival, who chooses the type better than yours and says this is the one i wanted anyway and decides to battle you which forms a strong rivalry.

I think that would be at least a nice twist on getting your Pokemon.

Pokémon Friend Code: 3754-6716-8065
Not Sure of the Pokémon in my friend Safari.
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Chrisaur

Nature: Modest
It would be fun when you purchase the game , you will also receive 3 AR cards (come on...it's Nintendo 3DS!!!) and of course there is a starter on each one of the AR cards. And in the beginning of the game at a certain point, you get to scan/summon your choice of Pokemon Starter. Maybe scan them once you're in a lab, or in your room....when the game prompts you too scan one.

Last edited by Chrisaur; January 14th, 2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:05 AM
piefara
human

you should either be like wally you lone one and actually have to fight for it and catch it that way you're actullay greatfull because you actully work for it or you are attacked buy the villans and a wild jumps out and helps you! or the vilans are taking the starters and you only get to save one! or you could go to a safari zone whith the mini zones swamp,forest and volcano!

Last edited by piefara; January 14th, 2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:36 AM
giradialkia

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
You know what I miss? Seeing a table with three Pokéballs on it and choosing your starter that way.
People say that was clichéd and typical, but we haven't seen that since Gen 2 (HGSS in Gen 4 kinda count but since they were remakes of an original adventure, I'm excluding them).

In Gen 3, we had to pick them out of a bag to save the professor. In Gen 4 we had to pick them out of a bag to save ourselves. In Gen 5, I guess it was close enough to the 'table' way, in that you chose one of three. But then you immediately proceed to battle Bianca, and then Cheren.

Personally, I hope that you go to the Professor's lab or whatever (whoever that Professor may be), and choose a starter, then you're sent on your way to the next town or something. No "HEY BATTLE ME STRAIGHTAWAY NAOW!!!!". I think GSC/HGSS had the best setup- you pick your starter and just go around with it for a while, battling wild Pokemon and just chilling out. I'd like something like that in X and Y.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links