Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation
Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Forever
let it go

Advertise here
Simple question but could get some deep responses! What do you think the games are most remembered for? Is it the fact that they were the ones to introduce Pokemon such as Stunfisk or Garbodor, maybe the fact that they brought N to life, or even that they were the first games to really push the whole ying/yang thing, and gave us Unova? Share your thoughts from both a personal (what they're most remembered for to you) and what you think others most remember the games for. :)
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Arc
temporarily dead

Nature: Bashful
Honestly, I think people would easily say its the first to have animated sprites. I know that was one of the biggest feature that everyone was awed by when Black/White were announced.

However, a lot of fans really liked Black/White because of the fact that it had some form of story that has a lot of meaning to it about the conflicts of ideals and truth. I know that's what I remembered fondly of about Black/White.
エマ・ミルスティン
(早見 沙織)
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I'll always remember it for being a clean slate. It's nice knowing that somewhere out there are a bunch of kids whose first Pokemon games were B/W and they were able to get the same experience that I had when I first played Blue all those years ago.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I'll always remember Black and White for not only being the first games with animated sprites and full-on 3D graphics, but also its touching story and interesting origins, not to mention how it changed the competitive battling scene forever.

The story was also more expanded, the unlimited TMs, forcing you to only use Unova Pokemon until post-game and the characters were all great, especially Cheren, Bianca and N.

Last edited by Hikamaru; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Let's see... It was a clean sheet of paper to start from. In a way, I felt the choice of colors to name the games was a nice throwback to 1st gen and how the veterans started with the very first games, so there will be newbies who started with the new ones.

It was the only gen to feature exclusively new Pokémon before the end of the story mode. This was a bold move and this time they got it right.

It had the best story of all games, IMO. And it's the only gen to have sequels within the gen.

It was the gen that fully utilized the DS capabilities, with 3D graphics and animated battles, although I think the sprites could've been higher resolution.

It wasn't much of an improvement on battle mechanics. Changes were mostly done to content (moves, Pokémon). It was a balancing gen.

Those are all valid reasons to remember 5th gen.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Toko
Forest Dweller
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
It will also be remembered because for the first time, our longstanding relationship with Pokemon, that we had since the old days, is actually being questioned in the Form of N and Team Plasma and I'm sure many people had to pause and at least consider what they were saying.

Some might even have gone further and actually asked themselves some questions like:
What does it mean to be a Pokemon Trainer?
What should the relationship between Pokemon and said Trainers be?
Are we oppressing them by keeping them in Pokeballs?

So in terms of making us players contemplate and question the status quo like that, I don't think any other Pokemon game has had such an impact on us so far.

And it will probably be remembered as the first Pokemon Game that seems to be set outside Japan's four main Islands.
FC: 1118 1606 2384

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
I will remember B/W for being the first generation since RBY to introduce all new Pokemon. It felt fresh to walk around and not encounter Pikachu's and Tentacool's for once, and it was so much fun to experience 156 brand new Pokemon. Along with that, the story was much deeper for a Pokemon game than I had ever expected, and I'm proud to say that gamefreak did it right :')

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:39 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
I will remember BW for changing my gameplay,
I found it very enjoyable and interesting.
It's one of the best games ever!And it shall last for all eternity.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Starry Windy
Show your Victory!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I'll remember BW because of numerous reasons:
- N, the first 'villain' I liked because of his personalities.
- The storyline is way different than in the games before it.
- Tackle's power is boosted to 50 instead of 35.
- First time I see Pokeball throwing in 3D, and (fling!) Critical Capture!
- (the sad one) no Pikachu found in the wild.
- Sturdy ability is now far way superior than before.
- The BGM alert when you are about to win against Gym Leader, and when your Pokemon's HP is almost run out.
- TMs are now reusable!
- White Forest is great that I could catch more Pokemon!
Starry Windy
PC Supporter since January 4th, 2014
“And remember I do hope you keep shining bright!” - Hikamaru
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr

Last edited by Starry Windy; January 14th, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I'd say that I'll remember Black and White the most for the ability to RNG in a different, but easier manner (imo). I will always play BW for RNG and they have a special place in my heart <3
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
Depending on how X and Y turn out when they get released, I think I'll remember Black and White as sort of the transition period between the old and the new. Things like the 3D camera views throughout the game and fully animated trainer and Pokemon sprites seemed to be test runs for what we've seen so far for the 6th gen, which I think they pulled of really well in B/W.

I'll also remember it for basically starting with a clean slate. You couldn't catch any old Pokemon and the region was completely foreign and unlike any of the past ones, so in ways, it felt like playing both a completely new, yet familiar game at the same time.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:55 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
1. Animated sprites
2. Stunning graphics
3. Unlimited TM's
4. Brand new Pokemon
5. And let's not forgot, the hate it got for the Pokemon designs.
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Arlo

Mostly already mentioned, but anyway:

An all new regional dex with no old pokemon anywhere.
Unlimited TMs.
Animated battle sprites (and especially with the awesome Smack Down animation).
A solid attempt at an actual story, with some reasonable explanations for the actions of the "villains."
Hidden abilities.

Those are the things that really stand out to me.
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:52 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
well I think "what everybody else will remember it for" is pretty well covered so I'll stick to a personal response.

Black was the only game where I wanted to complete the game to see how the story resolved.
The new experience system, the encounter tweaks, and overall meta-game changes.
Re-usable TM's
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
I'mma let y'all finish but...PETILIL WAS THE BEST PART OF BLACK AND WHITE!

reusable tms are great too and victini and audino and timburr and i'm gonna go now bye

paired to crono
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I.T.
The Pokémon Cartel

Nature: Jolly
It will be remembered for having ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter PKMN
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm2Sarcastic4U View Post
It will be remembered for having ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter PKMN :P
Pfft, they aren't unique to Unova!

For me I think it's... something more than just the games themselves. It's more (um corny!!!) that... these were the reason I got modded here at PC, something I'd wanted for a while, and also the games that were first released when I first got to know my boyfriend sooooo ya. In general probably the Pokemon themselves. :3
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
For me it was Unova, not being in a Japan based Region really isolated these games from the rest. Having the Bridges, Castelia City etc gave it a completely different feel.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Correspondence

Its the story for me.The darker story plot the previous games didn't have.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:17 AM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
For me it's the little things:

Stand still and listen to the overworld music, then start walking. Drums are added whilst your character walks.

if a pokemon is hit by a special attach it flashes white, if its hit with physical, it flashes black.

tapping a pokemon in its summary changes to its backsprite.

Can't think of any more, but the little things that make it.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Animated sprites, and the first game to have a semi-3D city.

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:49 AM
Kotowari
Will be back eventually
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
There's a lot in BW that I really like. I can safely say that these are the games that brought me back into Pokémon gaming... something I hadn't really done since Emerald, partially because I didn't have DS. I tried SS and Diamond, but neither managed to fascinate me as much as Black did. Though I'm definitally going to try to finish SS at some point.

Things I liked about Black and White:
-Story. Huge plus! Previous games mostly revolved around you getting badges, meeting an evil team, fighting them,winning, and beating the E4. BW, had a story that went further, and even gave the game a wonderful climax and ending.
-Characters. N's not the only one who's highly ranking in my favourite character's list (not Pokémon-exclusive), White/Touko is another one. I shouldn't forget Cheren, Bianca, Juniper... and others. I didn't have that many favourite Pokémon characters in the past, but now there are quite some.
-Music: Ending theme, Route 10, Relic Castle, Team Plasma Battle, Emotional Piece, N's Farewell... Previous generations had remember-worthy songs (think of Route 1 (Kanto), Goldenrod City...), but Black/White's music is something else. Specially the "Final Pokémon in Gymbattle" song was a very nice flashback to the first generation.

-Graphics/Unova: Lovely region, though I don't like Chargestone Cave, Twist Mountain and Route 4. |D (I do like Chargestone Cave's idea, just don't like traversing it.)
-Pokémon: I'm someone who adores the 5th generation, it definitally has some of my favourites.
-Other: The pose when the MC finds an item (felt very Zelda-ish), Seasons and seasonal changes, evening and morning, being able to add to the music by talking to some NPC, perpetual TMs, shaking grass, etc

The whole animated sprites thing didn't feel that unique to me, seeing how they moved before in Crystal and Emerald. Having them animated throughout the entire battle was rather fun, though. :'D

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I'd have to say Black and White are most remembered for a lot of things! They were the first games to bring us fully animated sprites, which really added to the effect of being in the game. Also, they added a plethora of awesome and unforgettable pokemon, some notable ones being Garbodor, Ddruddigon, Golurk, Hydreigon, Ferrothorn... the list goes on and on. They also will be remembered for giving a kick to the series, I think the whole "new beginning" idea really worked in favor of the franchise overall. Bw will also be remembered for the awesome plot it had, which was really refreshing compared to the simpler plots of the other games. People definitely won't be forgetting about N anytime soon either. And of course, people will remember the awesome graphics, especially of Skyarrow bridge. :D
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:17 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Black and white have so many things about them that make them memorable. To me the "new adventure" theme is the most memorable. I really liked how there were no old pokemon to start with and it was like a whole new adventure. Some other things that I remember about Black and White are the Animated sprites, N, and one of the most important features, Dream World. Also the games will likely be remembered for all the hate they got from all of the fans who are Nostalgic and refuse to accept and appreciate all the new Pokemon.

"By force of will!"
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
YamiNoBlade Twihiki Amias
~Be by my side for Eternity ~

Nature: Serious
My reasons are as listed:
1) The Characters personalities like Cheren's and Bianca's
2) The Graphics, may not be much but they were greatly improved
3) Some new pokemon that were introduced, like Embroar and Emolga and Golurk and Jellicent
4) The MoveSets of pokemon; I loved that they broadened it and expanded it, made it a bit more easy when teaching pokemon new moves, especially ones that they couldn't learn in previous games.
5) The Battle Subway; added something to enjoy.
6) The Gym Leaders like Elesa, Skyla, Iris, Cilan; made an impression and reserved the sanctity of the purpose of having Gym leaders. (Probably doesn't make sense I know)
7) Elesa
8) Elesa
9) Elesa
10) The cities.
"The one who seeks the right path!"

Gym Leader Cheren
Partner N'Crime
| Showdown! | PC Family | Pairs

Currently on Hiatus until further notice.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here