< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Main Series Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y (Z?) "Need more water types!"

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y (Z?) The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Reply Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old January 13th, 2013 (12:45 PM).
The_Mew's Avatar
The_Mew The_Mew is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 58
This whole thread makes me think about back in the day, when crystal lacked mareeps, and with that, had almost no electric type pokemon for a major part of the game
So uhm yeah, i wear ties, and that's all.
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #52    
Old January 13th, 2013 (1:46 PM).
Eleventyseventy's Avatar
Eleventyseventy Eleventyseventy is offline
But why is the rum gone?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Posts: 264
Some better Ice and Poison types would be nice!

As others have mentioned, there aren't enough Fire or Ghost types either.
Reply With Quote
  #53    
Old January 13th, 2013 (2:18 PM). Edited January 13th, 2013 by MantisboyN.
MantisboyN MantisboyN is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Gender:
Nature: Sassy
Posts: 185
I'd actually prefer less dragon types, just to help ramp up their specialty. (remember back in Gen 1 and 2 when the only dragon types available were Kingdra and the Dratini line? Their rarity is part of what made them so special.)

I would like to see more Poison and Ghost types. I relize that Poison isn't the greatest, and Ghost is mentioned a lot but I find them it to be among the most unique types in the game and would like to see them explored more.

The thing is, though, that Ghost type pokemon are dead. They reside mostly in graveyards and shadows. And Poison types often represent pollution, residing in sewers or factories. If they bumped these two types up quite a bit, I'd think that they would have to reflect that in the game locations. I'm picturing a heavily polluted region with a lot of abandoned buildings. I don't know if this reflects on what we've seen so far by the very "green" feel of X/Y.
I'm really not excited about this...
Reply With Quote
  #54    
Old January 13th, 2013 (2:30 PM).
masaru3's Avatar
masaru3 masaru3 is offline
Chespin, I choose you!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Portugal
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Posts: 219
I'd like more poison types. Bug types - good ones! I'd like the new gen to have more water types throughout the game, not necessarily new ones - since we've seen that we can find pokémon from previous gens in the grass.
3DS FC: 1032-2650-8413
◄ Masaru's Hidden Ability Shop ►
Reply With Quote
  #55    
Old January 13th, 2013 (2:35 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
Still missing that hair
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 6,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisboyN View Post
I'd actually prefer less dragon types, just to help ramp up their specialty. (remember back in Gen 1 and 2 when the only dragon types available were Kingdra and the Dratini line? Their rarity is part of what made them so special.)
But that also forced Lance and Claire to use Pokemon that don't associate their types and use Dragon types from the same line, which was why Volkner and Flint's team were horrible before Platinum fixed it. If they're going to include a Dragon specialist, they need to add at least three new non-legendary Dragon lines and three older Dragon lines in a regional dex.
R.I.P. Serena's long hair (2013-2015)
Reply With Quote
  #56    
Old January 13th, 2013 (5:36 PM). Edited January 13th, 2013 by tente2.
tente2's Avatar
tente2 tente2 is offline
"Outta my way, dammit!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Snowpoint City
Gender: Male
Nature: Bashful
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
But that also forced Lance and Claire to use Pokemon that don't associate their types and use Dragon types from the same line, which was why Volkner and Flint's team were horrible before Platinum fixed it. If they're going to include a Dragon specialist, they need to add at least three new non-legendary Dragon lines and three older Dragon lines in a regional dex.
Or, you know, they could either

a) not have a Dragon-type specialist, (my preference, I've never liked them)
b) stop limiting the specialists to only Regional Dex Pokemon.

Just a thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisboyN View Post
I'd actually prefer less dragon types, just to help ramp up their specialty. (remember back in Gen 1 and 2 when the only dragon types available were Kingdra and the Dratini line? Their rarity is part of what made them so special.)

I would like to see more Poison and Ghost types. I re[ali]ze that Poison isn't the greatest, and Ghost is mentioned a lot but I find them it to be among the most unique types in the game and would like to see them explored more.

The thing is, though, that Ghost type pokemon are dead. They reside mostly in graveyards and shadows. And Poison types often represent pollution, residing in sewers or factories. If they bumped these two types up quite a bit, I'd think that they would have to reflect that in the game locations. I'm picturing a heavily polluted region with a lot of abandoned buildings. I don't know if this reflects on what we've seen so far by the very "green" feel of X/Y.
I agree with the rarity of certain types making sense. I do say I am content with the small amount of Ghost types we have right now.

However, I do have to say that I do disagree with your interpretations of the types. Outside of Generation I, most of our Poison types really don't represent poison and pollution. Moreso, they represent venom and toxins, which are natural defenses that occur in nature. I feel Poison types contrast man-made substances that cause pollution. Now, of course there are the Weezing, Muk, and Garbodor lines, but these are only three Pokemon lines among all the others, and outnumbered by the "natural" Poison Pokemon. So, in my mind, Poison types represent diversity and life, because real-life organisms do produce toxins to defend themselves.

You might disagree with that, and that's okay!

And Ghost types, I really do disagree with you on them residing "mostly in graveyards and shadows". (Of course, you are entitled to your opinion! I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to voice my own opinion.) Ghost types represent spirits, at least how I see them. It might depend on the mythology, but generally spirits are heavily connected to nature and wildlife, which is why Ghost types remind me of forests and appreciation for life, not graveyards and especially not a polluted region. I know in Japanese mythology, there is a lot of correlation with spirits and nature.

So, I know you probably disagree, but a "green" region is EXACTLY where I would expect to find Poison and Ghost types. So, I'm optimistic! And I want to see more Ghost and Poison types, too.
Reply With Quote
  #57    
Old January 13th, 2013 (6:12 PM).
Forever's Avatar
Forever Forever is offline
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mew View Post
This whole thread makes me think about back in the day, when crystal lacked mareeps, and with that, had almost no electric type pokemon for a major part of the game
So how about now? Do you think there should be more electric types to make up for the missing Mareeps in Crystal? XD
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Reply With Quote
  #58    
Old January 13th, 2013 (9:22 PM).
flight's Avatar
flight flight is online now
frostbeam
Crystal TierCS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 18,662
Also some more good Ghost types! :3

Ice-Type
Frozen in soul, Fiery in heart.
Reply With Quote
  #59    
Old January 14th, 2013 (12:09 AM).
Polizard's Avatar
Polizard Polizard is offline
Awesome Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bankstown
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Posts: 645
My main thing is to be able to get a strong fire, water or grass type Pokemon during the game so if for example i choose Froakie i want to be able to catch a decent fire type Pokemon not like in Diamond and Pearl where my choice was pretty much pick Chimchar or catch a Ponyta.
Credit for this signature and my profile pic goes to Ash

Reply With Quote
  #60    
Old January 14th, 2013 (7:48 AM).
The_Mew's Avatar
The_Mew The_Mew is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
So how about now? Do you think there should be more electric types to make up for the missing Mareeps in Crystal? XD
Yes, ALL THE ELECTRIC TYPES. But no, i would love to see more dragon types that aren't all that hard to get and dont evolve at level 50 though.
So uhm yeah, i wear ties, and that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #61    
Old January 14th, 2013 (8:04 AM).
Cordelia Cordelia is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Nature: Sassy
Posts: 9,758
I would really like to see less Dragon types this go around. We've had way too many in the past generation and I'd just like to see a change of pace. Definitely a good choice of fire and water types though... everyone loves those and doesn't want to depend on only Eevee to take care of it for you!
Reply With Quote
  #62    
Old January 14th, 2013 (9:11 AM).
CrystalRose's Avatar
CrystalRose CrystalRose is offline
Maiden
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brazil
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Docile
Posts: 17
I think it'd be okay even if the game lacked a large quantity of water types. We already have too many.
Reply With Quote
  #63    
Old January 14th, 2013 (10:03 AM).
PlatinumDude's Avatar
PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
Nyeh?
Gold Tier
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 12,383
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I think more Fire and Ice Pokémon should be introduced, since there aren't a lot of them in the Pokédex.

Reply With Quote
  #64    
Old January 14th, 2013 (12:34 PM).
The_Mew's Avatar
The_Mew The_Mew is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 58
Hmm, this whole water types thing i think, is mainly caused by the lack of good rods at the beginning of the game. This requires the player to either catch a water pokemon on land or use a magikarp/tentacool hm slave when surfing is needed. Anyway, placing a good rod earlier in the game, (maybe around the 3rd gym?) you would never be in any need of water pokemon.
So uhm yeah, i wear ties, and that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #65    
Old January 14th, 2013 (2:19 PM).
tente2's Avatar
tente2 tente2 is offline
"Outta my way, dammit!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Snowpoint City
Gender: Male
Nature: Bashful
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mew View Post
Hmm, this whole water types thing i think, is mainly caused by the lack of good rods at the beginning of the game. This requires the player to either catch a water pokemon on land or use a magikarp/tentacool hm slave when surfing is needed. Anyway, placing a good rod earlier in the game, (maybe around the 3rd gym?) you would never be in any need of water pokemon.
I never fish for Pokemon... but I wouldn't mind being given the rod earlier into the game.

I think it doesn't really matter about how you get Pokemon, just as long as the Pokemon are actually there. I think the lack of Water types in B/W is completely independent of the lack of a rod. If they were to remove Seismitoad from the Grass, and make it a fishing-only Pokemon instead (and the only Pokemon available by fishing) that changes nothing. It's all about Pokemon being accessible, not in which ways Pokemon are accessible.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #66    
Old January 15th, 2013 (5:30 AM). Edited January 15th, 2013 by piefara.
piefara's Avatar
piefara piefara is offline
human
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
We need more Fire, Electric, Ice, and Ghost types and less Grass, Water, and Normal types.
THANK YOU way to many grass water and far far far to many normals NORMALS ;( maybe more ghost aswell
just having normal on the first rout is annoying aswell in my romhack just for something different dragon types appear on route 1

to make people happy ice-poison electric-fire (over due) steel-ghost (they should do to skarmory what they did whith the nincada evolution line...but better) oh and to be wierd a bug-dragon!
so far (may change)
Reply With Quote
  #67    
Old January 15th, 2013 (6:32 AM).
Synerjee's Avatar
Synerjee Synerjee is offline
Atra du evarinya ono varda.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Right here.
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 2,907
I would want more water-type Pokemon! It would be much more convenient if those water-types lived quite early on in the grass instead of later on in the water, just like Poliwag at night in the GSC games. Also, more fire-types, electric-types, ghost-types and ice-types would be great. (Y)
Reply With Quote
  #68    
Old January 26th, 2013 (5:26 AM).
Forever's Avatar
Forever Forever is offline
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by synerjee View Post
I would want more water-type Pokemon! It would be much more convenient if those water-types lived quite early on in the grass instead of later on in the water, just like Poliwag at night in the GSC games. Also, more fire-types, electric-types, ghost-types and ice-types would be great. (Y)
Oh ya I'd be okay with more water types if they're found in the grass and are USEFUL, rather than having like 50 thousand in the water to catch. Actually I wanna see more electric/fire types found in the grass, kinda like in Johto tigers. :3
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Reply With Quote
  #69    
Old January 26th, 2013 (1:32 PM).
MaleficKaizer's Avatar
MaleficKaizer MaleficKaizer is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
Fire and ghost mainly,and mabey some poison types
Reply With Quote
  #70    
Old January 26th, 2013 (2:08 PM). Edited January 26th, 2013 by Kiriyuuki Kasuna.
Kiriyuuki Kasuna's Avatar
Kiriyuuki Kasuna Kiriyuuki Kasuna is offline
Insert Purpose of Meaning
Gold TierCS
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Rash
Posts: 394
Hmm this had me thinking the whole time that in regards to the mentioned types needed (more of that is*), it made me think that there should be more electric types with good Def and SpD stats, because I literally find that with each new generation, Electric types are always the pokemon with the worse Defence and SpD stats, which make them kind of easy to over throw (by using a pokemon with good Attack and SpA stats). I'd also like for there to be more better grass/bug type pokemon other than the starter in the beginning of the game that is easy to acquire early on. And lastly there should be more of Psychic and Dark type pokemon likewise is also easy to acquire early in the game, cause they were really hard to come by in the older games (Like red and FireRed-Gold and HG*). So overall I want more Electric(WITH GOOD SpD and Def**), Grass/Bug, Dark, and Psychic types in Generation 6.
" I Want You to Need me, could you do that for me? "

~Mei Aihara, CITRUS BY SABURO UTA


Partner N'Crime
BATTLE SERVER!
PC Family
Pair(s)
THE UNDERGROUND
Reply With Quote
  #71    
Old January 26th, 2013 (2:12 PM).
Pryze's Avatar
Pryze Pryze is offline
#609
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 98
Send a message via Skype™ to Pryze
I can do without Fire-types, never was too fond of them. I do want to see more Fighting-types, Flying/Fighting and Ice/Fighting mostly.
Nothing to see here.
Reply With Quote
  #72    
Old January 26th, 2013 (2:30 PM).
François's Avatar
François François is offline
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Gold Tier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ireland
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twihiki_Amias View Post
Hmm this had me thinking the whole time that in regards to the mentioned types needed (more of that is*), it made me think that there should be more electric types with good Def and SpD stats, because I literally find that with each new generation, Electric types are always the pokemon with the worse Defence and SpD stats, which make them kind of easy to over throw (by using a pokemon with good Attack and SpA stats). I'd also like for there to be more better grass/bug type pokemon other than the starter in the beginning of the game that is easy to acquire early on. And lastly there should be more of Psychic and Dark type pokemon likewise is also easy to acquire early in the game, cause they were really hard to come by in the older games (Like red and FireRed-Gold and HG*). So overall I want more Electric(WITH GOOD SpD and Def**), Grass/Bug, Dark, and Psychic types in Generation 6.
You know, it's actually quite interesting that so few Electric types are defensively built. As a type it has so much defensive potential (three resistances, only one weakness - albeit a common one) that you'd think there'd be a few walls. GameFreak's insistance on making Electric types sweepers of varying quality is unfortunate.

As for the topic on hand though, I'm going to go with the standard Poison/Dark/Ghost wish. All types that are generally quite scarce, even moreso when you count only the usable pokémon of those types. Water is my favourite type but even I want less of them.
Reply With Quote
  #73    
Old January 26th, 2013 (2:34 PM).
Treecko's Avatar
Treecko Treecko is offline
#teamcap
Gold Tier
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St.Louis,Missouri
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 5,693
Send a message via Skype™ to Treecko
We don't need much more Water-types, we have enough of those. But what we do need are more Ghost, Dark Steel, and Dragon types. I especially would like to see more Dark types cause they're my favorite type. Glad Gen V introduced so many Dark-types cause alot of them are strong. And according to this chart, there's a strong lack of Ghost, Steel , Dark, and Dragon-types and I want this Gen to be the one to fix that.
Spoiler:
United we stand, divided we fall.
Reply With Quote
  #74    
Old January 26th, 2013 (2:43 PM).
Cerberus87's Avatar
Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
Mega Houndoom, baby!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dream World
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Posts: 1,654
Fire is one of the quintessential types, but it's very underrepresented in the games, which is a contradiction.

Not counting the starters...

2nd gen introduced Houndour, *gasp* Slugma, Entei and Ho-Oh.

3rd gen introduced Numel and Torkoal, two very underwhelming Pokémon.

4th gen introduced Magmortar (which was an evo of an old one) and Heatran.

It was not until 5th gen that Gamefreak gave Fire-type fans some love. Darmanitan (as ugly as it looks) and Chandelure are quite powerful, and Simisear and Heatmor are decent. And of course Reshiram, but that's an uber.

So I think, to balance the types out, they need more Fire, less Grass and much less Water, although an European setting is more appealing to Ice-types than Fire (unless you count countries like Italy with its volcanoes).

As for Ghost-types, there a few of them yes, but pretty much all of them are powerful. None of the Unova ones are useless. It's supposed to be a rare type, like Dragon. Whereas Water has the most Pokémon, but a good amount of them suck (I'm looking at you, Luvdisc, Finneon and Goldeen).


Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Reply With Quote
  #75    
Old January 26th, 2013 (6:17 PM).
Guy's Avatar
Guy Guy is offline
just a guy
CS
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,190
Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
It was not until 5th gen that Gamefreak gave Fire-type fans some love. Darmanitan (as ugly as it looks) and Chandelure are quite powerful, and Simisear and Heatmor are decent. And of course Reshiram, but that's an uber.

So I think, to balance the types out, they need more Fire, less Grass and much less Water, although an European setting is more appealing to Ice-types than Fire (unless you count countries like Italy with its volcanoes).

As for Ghost-types, there a few of them yes, but pretty much all of them are powerful. None of the Unova ones are useless. It's supposed to be a rare type, like Dragon. Whereas Water has the most Pokémon, but a good amount of them suck (I'm looking at you, Luvdisc, Finneon and Goldeen).
You forgot to mention Volcarona. It's okay though, because I remembered it for you. :p

The large population of Water-types makes sense from a realistic point of view. The earth is covered by 70% of water and there are thousands if not millions of different types of aquatic creatures that exist today, many of which have yet to be discovered. And similar to Pokémon, some of them are pathetic while others are much more feared of or respected.

That being said, I do agree with you. I'd like to see more Fire-types and Ice-types around. More so Ice-types because they're probably my favorite kind after Dark-types.
Reply With Quote
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Contact Us Archive Privacy Statement Terms of Service Top