The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM
prinlgesman
Unhatched Egg

I'm really hoping the system they use to migrate pokemon over is quick. I have some 700 pokemon I have to transfer over.
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:19 PM
darkpokeball
Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o

I'm actually kind of hoping they cut us off...
Why? While I admit, it was amazing to see my shiny Azumarill get from Hoenn all the way to Unova...it needs to stop. It's a new system, and I personally want a new start...(and hopefully every pokemon obtainable in XY because of the cut-off except for the event legendaries.)
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Sagiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpokeball View Post
I'm actually kind of hoping they cut us off...
Why? While I admit, it was amazing to see my shiny Azumarill get from Hoenn all the way to Unova...it needs to stop. It's a new system, and I personally want a new start...(and hopefully every pokemon obtainable in XY because of the cut-off except for the event legendaries.)
Sorry, but that makes no sense. If you want a fresh start, you can have one - just don't transfer anything over. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it.
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:51 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
There has been a lot of discussion about transferring and migrating our Pokémon from past generations into X and Y and how it may be done. However, the one question that not a lot of people are answering yet is whether or not you'll be transferring any of your old Pokémon into the new games, and if so, which ones?

Are there any Pokémon you currently have where you feel like you must transfer them over into X and Y? A Pokémon you hold in high regard perhaps? What about your Legendary and Event Pokémon, do you plan on transferring any of them over?

If you don't plan on doing any of this, then please do tell why.

Last edited by Guy; February 2nd, 2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:56 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
I don't normally transfer since I don't have a second DS to transfer with and I don't bond much with my pokemon and if I do I keep them in their native region xD
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
If it's possible, I'm sure I'll transfer over a few of my Pokemon, but I'm not quite sure which ones yet. The only one that I'd for sure move over would be my Sceptile, which is my longest tenured Pokemon (I've had ever since I started Sapphire, and have continued transferring it to the next gen games when I can). I also might try transferring over at least one Pokemon from each generation, just so I can have a 6 Pokemon party with each region being represented.
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:55 PM
Papii
Unhatched Egg

My team consists of over 50% Kanto starters. I've never liked the starters from any region, besides the three from Kanto. I'm hoping there's an option to migrate your Pokemon onto Pokemon X and Y as I am wanting to finally complete my Pokedex this time, as legit as possible that is.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:36 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
I never really transfer my Pokemon over. I usually have 1 or 2 storage copies of the main games that I beat to keep all the Pokemon I get in that Generation.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:40 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
I'm not sure how the transfer system would work, if it's possible. I'm sure it will though considering the 3DS can play DS games. If possible then yes! I'm transferring a lot from my Pearl.
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:01 PM
Sirius
Wrong Thread.

Nature: Hardy
Most likely it can considering they have the Dream Radar working with BW2. As for actually trading anything, I doubt it. Most of my precious pokemon are on my Gamecube memory card in Colosseum and I don't feel like putting all that time into transferring them Gen by Gen up to BW2.

Old February 1st, 2013, 11:21 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I will. I'll be transfering the starters from the other regions so that way I can get them all (hopefully, each time I get close a new generation seems to start before I can.)
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:42 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

You likely will be unable to import until post-E4. Therefore, I think the answer is no, at least until after the E4 or unless someone who finished the game before you imports them and sends them back to you in the new generation (or, heaven forbid, you have two 3DS systems and transfer them to the first, which is finished, to trade to the second and thus play the game with Kanto starters or somesuch).

I intend to import any special Pokémon (like Events) and have them available for trade in Generation VI. Eventually.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:48 AM
Schwan
Frontier Brain

They better be able to, I'm saving my newly hatched Shiny Eevee for Y.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwan View Post
They better be able to, I'm saving my newly hatched Shiny Eevee for Y.
Better get both games, complete one, and then import and trade to use it on the other. Otherwise I doubt you'll have an easy time accomplishing that mission.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

I think they will.How else could we catch them all?I dont care whether it is after the E4 or before i just want my Hydreigon Zoroark and Magmortar in Y so i can finally play online.

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Tielur

Nature: Jolly
I'm working like a dog to get my Dex filled before X/Y so they had better be able to import.
Also the reason that pokemon could not transfer into R/S was because of the addition of natures and ivs. As for D/P they split the special and physical so the pokemons stats were unchanged. hopefully the game mechanics for pokemon stats are the same leaving no reason to block importing. (also with the competitive play I doubt they would change anything. And with 2 games launching they would not have all of the pokemon without importing meaning an unfillable pokedex )
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:39 PM
darkpokeball
Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
Sorry, but that makes no sense. If you want a fresh start, you can have one - just don't transfer anything over. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it.
Hm? Oh no, I do a fresh start every game and only import in old pokemon after I've completed it...mostly because I have to. But, if they cut us off, and EVERYONE had a fresh start, then that would be insanely fun...no more increasingly rare starter pokemon that cannot be obtained unless you bought the previous game. Plus, I want a Hoenn remake which is probably only going to happen if you can't transfer Pokemon from the original Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. REmember, this is just my opinion...
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I hope they have something like the World Tournament, but with 6v6. That is probably what will determine the transferring of my battling Pokemon or not, I was excited to transfer them over to B2 but decided not to when I learned the World Tournament is only 3v3 (isn't it?).

I might transfer over my boxes full of shinies and such to an XY game, because I trade with those and it's kinda fun for a while. Unfortunately the transferring system takes FOREVER so I hope this time we can transfer x amount of Pokemon over and not just 6 at a time. Jeez, that was slow!

SHOWDOWNGALLERYANIMEPAIR

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:39 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Hm? Oh no, I do a fresh start every game and only import in old pokemon after I've completed it...mostly because I have to. But, if they cut us off, and EVERYONE had a fresh start, then that would be insanely fun...no more increasingly rare starter pokemon that cannot be obtained unless you bought the previous game. Plus, I want a Hoenn remake which is probably only going to happen if you can't transfer Pokemon from the original Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. REmember, this is just my opinion...
I think it would be very unintelligent for Game Freak to do that. Not being able to use your old Pokémon was one of the main criticisms of R/S/E. Plus it would mean not all Pokémon would be available until more games come out.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I think they will only allow transfer from 5th gen to XY. It makes no sense to release one game in a year and then render all the Pokémon useless because they can't be transferred. Although they already did this with Crystal version which came in 2001 and then RS came in 2002 and had no backwards compatibility...

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:39 AM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

I am hoping for the ability to transfer from 5 to 6. I want this because I have several Pokemon with good stats and natures that I'd like to use for breeding in the new games. Among them are my Manectric, Salamence, and Tyranitar. If everything as far as stats, etc. remained the same but there was no way to migrate Pokemon, I'd be really annoyed. If there was some sort of overhaul to the IV system or something, though, I think I'd be alright with it.
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

I don't think they'll revamp the IV and EV system, for the sole reason that it's a reasonably good system. If they make a modification, it will be on top of the current system, not replace it.

I don't know how Gamefreak never thought of it, but I'd like to see an EV bar next to the stats, so that we can see how many EVs the Pokémon has. Every RPG has this, why not Pokémon? Right now EVs are sort of "unofficial", even though Gamefreak acknowledges their existence (otherwise the Frontier Pokémon wouldn't be EV trained).

I have a huge and probably impossible dream that every Pokémon should be unique. Well, they all are, even the obvious ripoffs like Beautifly, but some aren't different enough. For example, the Normal/Flying birds. Pidgeot, Fearow, Swellow, Dodrio and Unfezant are all outclassed by Staraptor and Braviary, because they're basically the same Pokémon with a slightly different stat distribution and movepool. I dunno, maybe give Pidgeot some moves that make it benefit from its balanced stats, or give Swellow a Ground-type move to get past Rock-types more easily. I'd also like to see a boost to Braviary, because it was supposed to be the bird that ends all birds, yet people still prefer Staraptor due to its speed.

Back to topic, it will be quite funny to see the possibilities with migration if 6th gen allows it. You'll be able to migrate a Pokémon caught in the elderly Ruby and Sapphire all the way to X and Y, provided you have the necessary games, two DS's and a 3DS (you don't even need a GBA). At some point they'll have to cut the compatibility, but it doesn't seem likely.

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:27 AM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87
Although they already did this with Crystal version which came in 2001 and then RS came in 2002 and had no backwards compatibility...
That was done because Nintendo didn't manage (or should I say "try") to get GBC and GBA games to work together, not a decision by Game Freak. But since we have proof that 3DS apps can work with DS games (Dream Radar) , and if Streetpass is any indication, they can work with 3DS games as well (meaning that Gen 5 -> Gen 6 migration will probably be through a special 3DS app) let's say we're safe for now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tielur
Also the reason that pokemon could not transfer into R/S was because of the addition of natures and ivs.
If GBA and GBC could connect, even if the changes between Gen 2 and 3 were drastic, what prevented them from putting in a routine that would convert EV/IVs, recalculate stats, set a Nature and Ability at random etc? Or at the very least create a "close enough" Pokémon with the same moves, species, gender etc but with EVs set to 0 and IVs set to some default values? Plus, with Game Freak so bent on insisting that their games are all about trading, putting time and effort in the development of something rather useless (contests) while forgetting all about connectivity with the previous titles is honestly a huge out-of-character moment... unless they had absolutely no means to ensure any kind of connectivity in the first place, in which case they simply had no choice.

As a programmer, I often have to deal with data conversion at work. Trust me, as long as you have the technical specs for both formats (which GF did, since they designed them) , conversion is rather easy to implement. IMHO, if that's their excuse for not being compatible with Gen 2, then it's rather... pathetic.

Last edited by SaniOKh; February 7th, 2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
That was done because Nintendo didn't manage (or should I say "try") to get GBC and GBA games to work together, not a decision by Game Freak. But since we have proof that 3DS apps can work with DS games (Dream Radar) , and if Streetpass is any indication, they can work with 3DS games as well (meaning that Gen 5 -> Gen 6 migration will probably be through a special 3DS app) let's say we're safe for now .
I hope so, having two DS just to transfer Pokémon is a waste of money. :D

Though I think they did this because they expected people to play BW on the DSi, so the players would probably have two DS's anyway (a Phat/Lite and a DSi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
If GBA and GBC could connect, even if the changes between Gen 2 and 3 were drastic, what prevented them from putting in a routine that would convert EV/IVs, recalculate stats, set a Nature and Ability at random etc? Or at the very least create a "close enough" Pokémon with the same moves, species, gender etc but with EVs set to 0 and IVs set to some default values? Plus, with Game Freak so bent on insisting that their games are all about trading, putting time and effort in the development of something rather useless (contests) while forgetting all about connectivity with the previous titles is honestly a huge out-of-character moment... unless they had absolutely no means to ensure any kind of connectivity in the first place, in which case they simply had no choice.

As a programmer, I often have to deal with data conversion at work. Trust me, as long as you have the technical specs for both formats (which GF did, since they designed them) , conversion is rather easy to implement. IMHO, if that's their excuse for not being compatible with Gen 2, then it's rather... pathetic.
The problem is that the GBA could play GB games, but couldn't do anything else with them. Of course, this could've been solved with a special accessory to enable transfer of data, but Nintendo would never release an accessory just for one franchise. Even the Transfer Pak for the N64, which came bundled with Pokémon Stadium and was used primarily by Pokémon games, wasn't Pokémon-exclusive (I think Perfect Dark used it, as well as Mario Tennis and other N64 games with GB counterparts).

The main problem is the calculation of EVs. Up to GSC, Pokémon gained stat exp on all stats, so they could max out all stats. From RS onwards, they could only max out two stats. If you converted data using a very strict guideline, you'd end up with a 2nd gen Pokémon in 3rd gen with illegal stats. If you erased all stat exp data during the conversion, level 100 Pokémon would become useless since they weren't able to gain EVs back then.

Finally, the introduction of natures meant that all Pokémon from earlier generations would have to have a neutral nature and wouldn't be very useful competitively.

It should be possible to convert (as the transfer we see nowadays is nothing more than conversion of data), but the results would not be usable in the new games.

Old February 7th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Hm... migrating Pokémon from Generation V to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, would be something I would be doing if I had some Pokémon from Pokémon Black Version 2 and White Version 2 that I wouldn't be able to get in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. It would be really handy. ;)
Quote:
If Game Freak made Pokémon X and Y incompatible of transferring Pokémon from Generation V, it would make it intriguing to you in the fact that you'd have to re-obtain the event Legendary Pokémon from special events all over again from scratch in brand new events in newer games (in which could also be in the remakes in Generation VI).

But to me... and pretty much alot of people... it would be really disappointing, 'cause there are some Pokémon that some people would really like to transfer over into the new games (which mainly would be the event Legendaries), 'cause you never know that those event Legendary Pokémon might not come back as obtainable until 7 or more years later. But then again... we'd have the Nintendo Network where from time to time there might be rare Legendary Pokémon, but how often does it happen in Black Version 2 and White Version 2? Very rare, and most of the Pokémon given out are just ordinary Legendary Pokémon that are already obtainable in previous games, like a Mewtwo for example.

So yeah, I'd pretty much disagree in my opinion about not being able to transfer Pokémon from Generation V.

But if you're thinking about how Generation III was not transferable between Generation II and III, pretty much the reason why Game Freak didn't have transferring between Generation II and III, would be simply because the Game Boy Advance is not compatible with transferring data from a Game Boy Color game. And I know, Game Boy Advance was very limited in the amount of stuff it had with previous handhelds, even though it was backwards compatible with playing Game Boy games. Nintendo did make that mistake with their handhelds back then, but when they were developing the Nintendo DS... they made sure to never make that same mistake again. And I'm sure The Pokémon Company did indeed get alot of complaints about not being able to transfer their Pokémon from Gold/Silver/Crystal.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links