The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Media Players!
Windows Media Player 4 15.38%
iTunes 3 11.54%
Winamp 1 3.85%
VLC Media Player 9 34.62%
RealPlayer 0 0%
Other - Please Specify 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance

Advertise here
Whenever you're on your computer or laptop (or tablet for that matter!), there are many many options for you to listen to your lovely music, watch movies and/or videos. Some players give you sharp picture & sound, while others can load up fast, so you can immediately start watching/listening to your stuff.

Based on the poll above, which media player do you prefer & why? If you picked "Other", tell us what media player do you use and why do you prefer it. :D

KASEY KAHNE
oral-b usa 500 winner | atlanta, georgia | august 31, 2014
moderator of fan clubs & groups | battle server moderator

Shining Armour
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
VLC. It's a universal player than can play media files of all types without the need to install codecs and can also play back capturing devices and tune digital frequencies on a TV tuner capture card, alongside take a snapshot of whatever you're viewing.
Fairy
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Just for music, I use Windows Media Player, have used it for many years now..... vote for WMP.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 2/8 - game: X
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Seki
You idiot!

VLC, only because WMP has failed on my computer, I can't even open it for some strange reason after I upgraded to WMP v11, along with my nvida control panel.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:46 PM
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
I use the Zune software. I prefer it because usually the only reason I go on the computer is to music on my Zune, and the software is the only way to load music on to it.
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I used to use WMP until I had to use a different program to put my songs into my ipod (Because I hate itunes)

Then I started using Winamp which was good until it kept messing up the positioning of my songs in my ipod.

Now i use MediaMonkey. It's a really good media player software where I can get infos on the music I'm playing and I can also easily transfer songs from my computer to my ipod with MediaMonkey.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:23 PM
inspirASIAN
VOICES in the air

I use iTunes for music and VLC for movies. Both players are easy to customise too in terms of aesthetics. I tried many different players for both music and movies from open source to paid ones and ended up returning to my original iTunes/VLC combo. The selection library of music or movie players for the Mac environment is extremely limited but thanks to that I don't have to spend lots of time deciding on my ideal player.

With the recent release of iTunes 11, it just got harder for me to ditch this music player for a competitor.

Using an old stock signature because of my inc mplete inspirasian.

Last edited by inspirASIAN; December 27th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:57 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

For music, I primarily use Windows Media Player, since iTunes is quite laggy in that regard.

For visual media, I use VLC Media Player, since it skips straight to the title screen on DVDs and can handle pretty much any video file format.
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Correspondence

I use VLC most of the times.It can play any type of videos without having to put in codes or w/e.
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Gerri Shin
  

Nature: Modest
When you say Media Players, you don't just mean for music right? I use iTunes for Movies/tv since it can output a streaming friendly format for me, but for music I tend to use Spotify more. being abel to listen to music anywhere without having to use up space on my devices is great.
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

For music I use foobar2000. I love it since it's minimalistic and customizable.

For videos I just use WMP since I really only watch videos on YouTube unless I'm about to edit or review something.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I've been using Winamp more and more now, mostly because it has plugins for those lesser-known file formats, like game rip audio formats (such as Highly Experimental for .minipsf files [PS1/2 games]), and whatnot, but also because I can use my keyboard's media controls from any other open window, making it useful when I have to pause music. I haven't really tried it with video too much, though, but a while back I did use VLC because WMP had audio sync issues in videos and the audio would desync after a while, and VLC would never have that problem.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old December 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I use iTunes for my music because I have an iPhone and I'm lazy. I've seen other people use WinAmp and other types of software in this regard, and while they look good, I really cannot be bothered to learn how they work. I'm an old man now! :(
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Arlo

I switch back and forth between Media Player Classic and VLC. MPC has a bit better UI and some nifty features, but VLC is more dependable, particularly with unusual and/or poorly encoded files, and does better freezeframes (I do anime vectors, so I take LOTS of screenshots).

Last edited by Arlo; December 30th, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

For music I use foobar
For movies and tv shows I use MPC-HC with madvr, lav filters, etc.

I like to use the best stuff to get the best results.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I use WinAmp for my music on both my phone and my desktop. I can wirelessly sync music to my phone with it and I generally just really like WinAmp's interface. I love the skin I have for it and the ability to queue playlists from Windows' drop-down list. On my phone it works with Last.fm's app and was a lot better than the default app. On my mac I just use iTunes because I can't be bothered finding something else. Trying to find equivalents to the programs I know and love on Windows is too depressing.

For video media, I use KMPlayer. It plays anything I throw at it, is very pretty, and has a whole lot of playback features. I originally downloaded it just to auto-screencap from my media but once I realized how much it could do, I've always used it. I don't even know what I use on my mac--probably VLC--but I can't stand it and try not to watch anything on it if I can help it.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old December 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I use the Zune media player for most of my music, but I occasionally also use Windows Media Player.

For visual media, I use VLC.
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:21 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
I use WMP when watching videos or listening to CD's.
But I use Media Monkey for on device music, and Spotify for whatever.
But I mainly just use online services like Youtube. Since Spotify I don't really go to Pandora anymore.
I never liked VLC, it just looks... I can't use it.

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Starry Windy
The curious dude
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I usually use GOM Player for playing videos, however I also use VLC to play DVDs, and Winamp for music.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
VLC for video, WMP for music. Recently I've noticed that VLC has been pretty laggy for some reason, but I'm far too lazy to find an alternate player that supports that many file types.
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Cassino
Meduka Meguca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets Witch View Post
Recently I've noticed that VLC has been pretty laggy for some reason, but I'm far too lazy to find an alternate player that supports that many file types.
It may help to download an up-to-date version, or if you have done that recently, reacquire an older one.
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

For any type of music or video that I have on my computer, Windows Media Player works just fine. Granted, I have both iTunes and VLC installed, but since WMP is the default and I've had no issues with it, I use it the most.
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:55 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
For music I use foobar
For movies and tv shows I use MPC-HC with madvr, lav filters, etc.

I like to use the best stuff to get the best results.
This. MPC-HC for movies/videos/etc., foobar for music. Anything other than MPC-HC is between "subpar" and "garbage" for video playback, and foobar's just personal preference. It also has extension for a lot of game-native sound formats, like USF for N64 music playback.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
Normally, I would prefer Windows Media Player, but when it comes to watching the Adventure Time videos I've downloaded, I use FLV-Media-Player, because my WMP doesn't support FLV video files.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
OH MAN THIS MIGHT GET COMPLICATED!

On my laptop, I use Media Player Classic which I've never had a problem with, but when I ran Linux I used the always lovable VLC Media Player. I play music with Winamp.

On my phone, I use MX Player for videos and PowerAmp for music.

On my tablet, I use XMBC so I can stream music from my laptop without having to install it on my tablet.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here