The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: 3D Graphics good or Bad?
Good 105 88.98%
Bad 7 5.93%
Dosen't Matter 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:54 PM
MidiMasterShiro
Music Hacker/Composer

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to MidiMasterShiro
I love the graphics. They kinda remind me of Dragon Quest Monster Joker on the DS.
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Vehks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
While I agree graphics could be better, like Super Mario 3D land, OoT and MK7, they really don't need to be. Pokemon isn't a game that has thrived due to eye candy, it's thrived because it's really fun! This is GF's first try at 3D, and i'd say they've done a darn good job at it. It is a nice art style for a Pokemon game! And they'll probably get better closer to release! n_n
Yep, I'm cutting Gamefreak some slack here seeing as this is the first time a core Pokemon title has gone 3D, but I expect great things in the future. Pokemon should have gone full 3d years ago, so this was a long time coming IMO, but like I said, I'll go easy on em for X and Y. I'm just happy it finally has gone 3d. Better late than never, right?
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM
P0kelegend

I have to agree with the others who say the over world graphics are disappointing. The battle graphics look fantastic, though. However the over world graphics are too choppy, jagged and that frame rate is WAY to slow for my liking. But the trailer did say 'game footage not final' and I don't see why they would put that unless the graphics aren't going to be worked on, they even put that on the official X & Y website. They still have a lot of time left to work on the graphics so I assume and hope that they will work on and make the over world graphics even better.

A perfect example is the new Luigi's Mansion that is coming out. Look at the first trailer and compare it to the most recent and just see how different it looks since they fixed the frame rate. Hopefully GF will do the same.
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
With the drop of sprites and the rise of 3D models for all pokemon, what Pokemon can't you wait to see and battle in the upcoming game?

I can't wait to see a Mightyena battle in 3D. It would be very cool to see it attack. Another is an Archeops. Since it is new to 3D model battles, I can't wait how it's attack is animated.

What Pokemon can't you wait to see in 3D battling?

Discuss!

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by P0kelegend View Post
I have to agree with the others who say the over world graphics are disappointing. The battle graphics look fantastic, though. However the over world graphics are too choppy, jagged and that frame rate is WAY to slow for my liking. But the trailer did say 'game footage not final' and I don't see why they would put that unless the graphics aren't going to be worked on, they even put that on the official X & Y website. They still have a lot of time left to work on the graphics so I assume and hope that they will work on and make the over world graphics even better.
It's pretty clear GameFreak are trying to stick to the original style of the games. They don't have to use the shading engines. They don't have to use outlining on the models. They've deliberately chosen to. And jagged graphics are just a side effect, and I don't imagine GameFreak sticking in anti-aliasing to correct it.

Worth noting - none of us have seen 3D versions of those graphics.
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I am actually thinking that they will improve the textures later on in the year, 'cause I remember how Castelia City looked like when they first revealed the screenshots for Pokémon Black and White.

So I do assume there will be many things becoming more smoothed out.

And while I've been looking at the games, I've noticed how they're not using any texture blending things which the 3DS is capable of doing. So the textures still look pixelated, but I do assume they might end up using the texture blending capability later in the year though. Which would give the textures better detail in the game itself.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Shiny Bidoof
On fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehks View Post
Pokemon should have gone full 3d years ago, so this was a long time coming IMO, but like I said, I'll go easy on em for X and Y. I'm just happy it finally has gone 3d. Better late than never, right?
I agree. I sort of expected it with Black and White, but I'm glad they finally went there. The game is looking beautiful already! I can't wait to see the finished product!
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:10 PM
PsychoJigglypuff
Crazy and Loving It!

Send a message via Yahoo to PsychoJigglypuff
I like the switch to 3D and even though it's a new look, it still feels like a Pokemon game.

The graphics will look better when you're playing the game compared to videos of it, especially when the game has months to be finished. Games always look better then their trailers.

Old January 17th, 2013, 01:30 PM
fffire24
Unhatched Egg

After playing the Fire Emblem demo is was blown away by how good the graphics looked on the 3ds. If X and Y reach half the graphical beauty of that game, call me impressed. So excited.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:13 PM
jellotime91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
I am actually thinking that they will improve the textures later on in the year, 'cause I remember how Castelia City looked like when they first revealed the screenshots for Pokémon Black and White.

So I do assume there will be many things becoming more smoothed out.

And while I've been looking at the games, I've noticed how they're not using any texture blending things which the 3DS is capable of doing. So the textures still look pixelated, but I do assume they might end up using the texture blending capability later in the year though. Which would give the textures better detail in the game itself.
The 3DS is capable of much more than the X and Y demo showed. Maybe it's just because the world is so big in Pokemon, and routes / towns can be quite large. Also, there is a larger rendering area because of the perspective. 3DS game carts are also limited to 8GB, which is a good amount for a portable game, but Pokemon B2/W2 was half a GB and DS games are usually much smaller than 3DS Games.

Also RE: Castelia City, all they did was change the colours. The textures in the final version were just as low-res. I don't think the graphics of Pokemon X and Y will benefit from that kind of tiny change.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
It will be interesting to compare graphics from this months trailer next to a trailer in October, surely they've some alterations to make and in nine months things can improve.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM
shivamwazhere
Unhatched Egg

Guys stop complaining about the graphics, they'll get better, and if you dont beleive me just look at castelia city before and after the game came out
Attached Images
File Type: png city.png‎ (209.7 KB, 31 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:49 PM
MegamanDX
Pokemon/Megaman fan

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via Skype™ to MegamanDX
What I dont understand is why they didnt go with this style of graphics in the first place when the Nintendo DS supported this type of graphics??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8VA7ADwQm0

No clue at all...
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
And just so we're clear, they haven't shown us very many areas demonstrating the graphics yet. We've seen a strange area with fire spurting out in the trailer though, and if you weren't paying attention, there's a lot of nice particle detail showing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffire24 View Post
After playing the Fire Emblem demo is was blown away by how good the graphics looked on the 3ds. If X and Y reach half the graphical beauty of that game, call me impressed. So excited.
You sir deserve a medal for playing one of the most visual feasts on the 3DS. I doubt Pokémon would ever look that pretty though.
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post

Worth noting - none of us have seen 3D versions of those graphics.
But what about 3D? All it does is add depth, and if anything you NEED good visuals for the 3D to be anything significant. Games that have the best 3D (MGS3, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land) are already gorgeous games graphically and that's why they were so great on 3D. Also, 3D has drawbacks, mainly no anti-aliasing and lower framerate, and the game right now already is jagged and has pretty bad framerate.

3D didn't save NSMB2's visuals, in fact it made it worse. I've no doubt that they would up everything come release, but I'm setting my expectations fairly low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamwazhere View Post
Guys stop complaining about the graphics, they'll get better, and if you dont beleive me just look at castelia city before and after the game came out
All they did was add details. Frankly, it still looks ugly.
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Ichinish
Unhatched Egg

I really liked the graphics of X and Y. Okay, it's a huge difference between BW2 to XY and it may looks a bit weird, but I think it's a matter of getting used to. I think battle graphics are awesome and I can't wait to see how battle menu will be. Overall, I'm impressed.
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Hamako-chan
Our unbreakable bond...

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Hamako-chan Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hamako-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Hamako-chan
I hope they improve the 3D models during development, certain blocks and models appear to be blurry and rugged, but this was just the first trailer, I'm sure the graphics would improve. If GameFreak made the graphics as good as Fire Emblem: Awakening, that would be awesome.

White FC: 2881 2384 3038
Platinum FC: 4082 4798 2423
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

With 3D being the major factor in the game, how would the trainers look in battle and if they would be animated like BW2?

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:24 PM
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
The overworld looks odd and it could be improved on. It's also kind of weird seeing a full figure model for the trainer and that also looks a bit off. But there is 9 months for them to be improved on and I'm certain Gamefreak can make them look better. I guess I'm not use to seeing a full 3Ds overworld rather than the top-down view we've been used to all this time, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in nine months time. I'm keeping in mind that these are the first core Pokemon games for 3DS and that they still need to get used to the new hardware. Just looking at how much the graphics from BW2 were when looking at the graphics in DP (the 3D in particular).
The battles look even spectacular. I never thought battles would feel so real and I love the detail in the background and how attacks feel like they're gonna come right at us. And I love the usage of multiple camera angles though I hope that doesn't slow down battling. It's much of a step up from BW/BW2 and it's what basically got me sold on these games.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:58 PM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Nature: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
All they did was add details. Frankly, it still looks ugly.
Well then, that's an opinion I don't really share. I would not call the improvement to be "details" (honestly, I forgot the Castelia City we saw in the first few screenshots and trailers was so ugly, because the final product was pretty good). If you disagree, that's fine. But I would not say it still looks ugly, and that's just me.

Like other people have said, they have a full nine months to improve the graphics. And as Shivamwazhere demonstrated, Gamefreak has been able to majorly and significantly improve the aesthetic appeal of areas such as Castelia City, from the first time we saw them to the final product within the game (which you apparently think of as "details", but honestly, I consider to be a major improvement). Besides, when it comes to Pokemon, the graphics themselves aren't the most important thing, which is why many of us still cherish games like G/S/C and the Stadium titles to this day.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithel_Celestia View Post
With 3D being the major factor in the game, how would the trainers look in battle and if they would be animated like BW2?
Animated for sure, but maybe not even a reduced size of the current protagonists. I remember in Pokemon games they get shrunk down but in these ones I don't think anyone will get shrunk down, so it'll be them kind of looking like they did in Colosseum/XD imo.
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Blaqoon
Unhatched Egg

I don't get why people are complaining about how long the attacks took in Coliseum, XD Gale of Darkness and Battle Revolution. Didn't you all feel like awesome badasses as your avatar commanded your pokemon by pointing, and then your pokemon RESPONDED? The extra time of each attack allowed you to savor the fireblast that was being sent out. Heck, fireblast is a huge blast of fire, a big deal SHOULD be made of it.

This new game moving into 3D means that it is so much more engaging in the battles, and it looks as if battling will actually give me a real sense of satisfaction after each attack. This isn't perfect yet, but I can definitely see this moving towards the style of Coliseum. Actually having the trainer standing there in the battle is pretty darn satisfying, I have to say, and I hope this is added in a future game. I guess in a few months we might find out how battles look a little more. Note that double battles have not been shown yet, nor how attacks are selected. We'll find that out soon I hope!

Y'all need to quit complaining. This game is a million times more engaging than sprites. You can actually PARTICIPATE in the game, rather than feeling more like a bystander.
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Victini

I definitely adore the graphics.

I personally feel it's a positive switch from the 2D we had with mainstream Pokemon handheld games for the longest time. The switch to 3D graphics was bound to occur eventually, and goodness am I happy that they went ahead with it on this new generation. The way the graphics look at the moment seem a bit confusing and not as bright and cheery as the other games, though... I'm hoping that they'll fix this in the final product. It just seems a little too realistic now... and I dunno about you guys, but I don't want the environment to be that way. ;__;

I want it to stay cartoon-y like it always has been...

Oh, and a note about the 'choppy' graphics... We haven't seen the game on a 3DS screen. Just on a video and screenshots that probably just came from a clearer video.

If the models for the Pokemon we've seen so far are final, or at least mostly final, the graphics will probably come up way less pixel-y and choppy on an actual 3DS.
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqoon View Post
I don't get why people are complaining about how long the attacks took in Coliseum, XD Gale of Darkness and Battle Revolution. Didn't you all feel like awesome badasses as your avatar commanded your pokemon by pointing, and then your pokemon RESPONDED? The extra time of each attack allowed you to savor the fireblast that was being sent out. Heck, fireblast is a huge blast of fire, a big deal SHOULD be made of it.

This new game moving into 3D means that it is so much more engaging in the battles, and it looks as if battling will actually give me a real sense of satisfaction after each attack. This isn't perfect yet, but I can definitely see this moving towards the style of Coliseum. Actually having the trainer standing there in the battle is pretty darn satisfying, I have to say, and I hope this is added in a future game. I guess in a few months we might find out how battles look a little more. Note that double battles have not been shown yet, nor how attacks are selected. We'll find that out soon I hope!

Y'all need to quit complaining. This game is a million times more engaging than sprites. You can actually PARTICIPATE in the game, rather than feeling more like a bystander.
Even then, they'll most likely be an option to turn off battle animations to possibly speed up the battle. I will definitely be keeping them on personally because I agree with what you've said there. I can see why people who constantly grind would find it tedious though.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:12 AM
jellotime91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithel_Celestia View Post
Do you remember in B/W2 when Bianca is giving you the Pokemon and it shows a 3D model of her? I imagine the trainers will look something like that in-battle. There's just no way they're going to show us fully-detailed Pokemon and have chibi trainers.

And for those saying you can't judge by the trailer and it will look better on the 3DS screen, you can at least compare it to other trailers of 3DS games. You will see quite clearly that the environment really looks crappy, even when compared to the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game.

Last edited by jellotime91; January 20th, 2013 at 07:22 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links