The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Team Rocket's Raichu
Bye-Bye!

Hello this is my first tutorial, so bear with me. :)

Tools needed.
Unlz.gba (duh)
XSE
FSF
Sprite

Steps 1-5 are for total newbies.

1) First open up Unlz and find the sprite you want.

2) Then press "Save as". Save it somewhere you'll remember.

3) Open it in a photo editor (ex. MS Paint).

3) Edit it or paste another sprite (in the same pallet) onto the image.

4) Save it and import it to Unlz.

5) Press "Write to Rom", and press Okay.

Now the part some of you'll be waiting for. :)

6) Wait did it say it was to big? Oh that is easy. Remember the number that appears in the error message (ex. 384).

7) Open up XSE and in the upper right hand corner there will be something that looks like a calculator. Make sure the little circle by/on it is on Hex.

8) Put that number there. Then press the little circle that says Dec. (for my example it will be 900)

9) Now remember that number and open FSF.

10) Press file, open rom, and find where your rom is located on your computer.

11) Paste the Dec number where it says "needed bytes".

12) Press "search from beginning of rom" and press search.

13) Copy the number that appears.

14) Now pull up unlz again. Import the picture again, but instead of saying okay. First paste the number that appeared in FSF where those random numbers are. (oh and make sure you remove the random numbers EXCEPT FOR THE 2 0s!!!!!!111 I can't stress this enough!)

15) Now press okay. It will say it repointed something.

16) Don't freak out when the image isn't there once you close out of Unlz or go to another image. This is normal. Unlz doesn't show repointed images, but it is in your rom. (Might have to ask Hackmew why this is.)

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.

Last edited by hashtag; April 15th, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM
PastaPen
Beginning Trainer

It's a good tut, It's something I already knew how to do, but I thought my Unlz was messed up, but after reading your step 16 I realised it wasn't! So thank you for making this tutorial. =D

You might want to try and add some images though.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Matteron (96)
Difference is everything...

...this is not needed, there are one of these tutorial in all sprite inserting tutorials, which we have too many, every once and a while we get someone who make the sprite inserting discovery of the year, then it is needed...
Current Team:

In Terms of Hacking...
Favorite ROM
Skills
Working On
In Terms of Game Dev...
Working On
News
I'm currently up for hire, for almost anything in ROM hacking, so just send me a PM.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Good tutorial- useful for beginners. Although you should add that you could also just use the Windows calculator- there's a hex-mode on it, you just type in the digits and click the DEC button to convert it to Decimal (which is the format needed for FSF, if I remember correctly.
But otherwise, yes, it's useful for beginners.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
This is not needed at all. The repointing function is simple and most tutorials cover it so this tutorial is nothing special. I say a MOD should close this down, it's not needed at all.

HackMew makes tools and what does he get?
Their features used as excuses to make pointless tutorials. >:O
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:22 AM
PastaPen
Beginning Trainer

I agree to a certain degree of what you are saying Pokepal17... I also agree that this can be found in many spriting tutorials, but this is a bit more detailed for repointing images. If a beginner doesn't understand what somebodys doing in their tutorial when they're repointing an image, they can refer to this.

Although this tutorial does need images.
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
kittopian
The Kittopian CREATOR

A nice and easy tutorial for beginners. Perhaps you could show how to change the pallet of the repointed sprite for those that cannot understand...

Last edited by kittopian; May 25th, 2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM
nikoliberty123
Beginning Trainer

I have repointed and imported images many times without a problem but all of a sudden, when I repoint images now, I go to my emulator to run into it in the wild so I can see what it looks like but just keeps it freezing......I have used MANY different offsets using FSF and have searched in a hex editor for different offsets but its no use...........

EDIT: It seems that my rom doesnt like offsets past 800000.....It works on lower offsets though.

Last edited by nikoliberty123; June 13th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Lockster14
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteron (96) View Post
...this is not needed, there are one of these tutorial in all sprite inserting tutorials, which we have too many, every once and a while we get someone who make the sprite inserting discovery of the year, then it is needed...

I disagree. I'm a beginner and I found this tutorial easier to understand and find than the others.
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Line3007

Thank you, man Very easy to understand and follow
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links