The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty

Advertise here
So, as you all have notice (how can you not have?) the game is now fully 3D!

Which means lots of things can be done with the overworld to make it more enjoyable and eye appealing.

My main thought is, Camera Angles?
Now it's fully 3D so much can be done, like special intro sequences with the camera moving in some sort of epic way towards the battlers, for battles.
And rotation to the characters speaking in the middle of a speech sequence.

Also; Cutscenes, will they improve, now the game and characters are 3D can we expect better cutscene, unlike BW where the humans dissappeared in the cutscene.
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
The 3D animated cutscenes in Black and White and later Black 2 and White 2 were impressive. So given that we're moving onto the 3DS platform, to see visual cutscenes such as those or even better with 3DS depth, will truly be something to witness.The same could definitely be said about the camera angles too. I remember walking over Skyarrow Bridge the first time and the different angles that they'd zoom in and out of were neat. So to see something like that again will be awesome. Going back to the cutscenes, I agree, hopefully in the bigger scenes, they treat us like we're actually there this time.

The camera rotation to those speaking is certainly interesting to think about, although I feel doubtful they'll go that far.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
yeah, BW/B2W2 had amazing cutscenes. Especially B2W2 with the Kyurem transformation. The camera was beyond anything ever done, so I'm sure cutscenes and the like will be even better for X/Y.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:23 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
The 3D animated cutscenes in Black and White and later Black 2 and White 2 were impressive. So given that we're moving onto the 3DS platform, to see visual cutscenes such as those or even better with 3DS depth, will truly be something to witness.The same could definitely be said about the camera angles too. I remember walking over Skyarrow Bridge the first time and the different angles that they'd zoom in and out of were neat. So to see something like that again will be awesome. Going back to the cutscenes, I agree, hopefully in the bigger scenes, they treat us like we're actually there this time.

The camera rotation to those speaking is certainly interesting to think about, although I feel doubtful they'll go that far.
I thought it was neat too when walking over Skyarrow Bridge and walking through Castelia City. Like has been mentioned before, this could be something to really look forward to on the 3DS(and in 3D no less).

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Arlo

I'd be perfectly fine if I never saw another cutscene in a game. If they only wasted my time, that would be bad enough, but they actually do exactly the opposite of what I guess they're intended to do. They don't suck me into the game - they yank me out of it. I immediately lose whatever suspension of disbelief I've managed to build up and am forcefully reminded that I'm just looking at moving pictures.

Now - alternate camera angles is something I'd love to see. My hope is that you'll be able to pan the trailing cam in and out and from side to side, and leave it wherever you want or click a button to snap it back to the default, and I hope there are multiple defaults, like a racing game - first person, close, far... like that.
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
I'd be perfectly fine if I never saw another cutscene in a game. If they only wasted my time, that would be bad enough, but they actually do exactly the opposite of what I guess they're intended to do. They don't suck me into the game - they yank me out of it. I immediately lose whatever suspension of disbelief I've managed to build up and am forcefully reminded that I'm just looking at moving pictures.

Now - alternate camera angles is something I'd love to see. My hope is that you'll be able to pan the trailing cam in and out and from side to side, and leave it wherever you want or click a button to snap it back to the default, and I hope there are multiple defaults, like a racing game - first person, close, far... like that.
Bare with me here, but I kind of find it difficult to believe that a short clip of an animated cutscene is what would cause anyone to lose whatever suspension of disbelief they may have over playing a Pokémon game. Given the mere premise of which we know ─ A ten year old kid (in B/W we were a few years older) goes out in the world alone to travel amongst and alongside dangerous creatures ─ I think if there was ever a point to lose your suspension of disbelief, it would be the very moment you put the cartrdige in your system and booted it up to start playing.

Unless what you meant to say was that these cutscenes shift your attention away from the focus of the game and causes you to lose a brief period of interest in what's going on. That I could understand, since I know the cutscenes do sort of take us out of the game as a player and makes it feel like we're more or less watching a small footage of something that's happening. Although, I actually enjoy those cutscenes for its visual effect and being able to physically show us what's taking place in a cool way.

I totally agree with your ideas on the camera angles though. A first person perspective would be pretty neat if done correctly, although it would take some getting used to.
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Arlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Bare with me here, but I kind of find it difficult to believe that a short clip of an animated cutscene is what would cause anyone to lose whatever suspension of disbelief they may have over playing a Pokémon game. Given the mere premise of which we know ─ A ten year old kid (in B/W we were a few years older) goes out in the world alone to travel amongst and alongside dangerous creatures ─ I think if there was ever a point to lose your suspension of disbelief, it would be the very moment you put the cartrdige in your system and booted it up to start playing.

Unless what you meant to say was that these cutscenes shift your attention away from the focus of the game and causes you to lose a brief period of interest in what's going on. That I could understand, since I know the cutscenes do sort of take us out of the game as a player and makes it feel like we're more or less watching a small footage of something that's happening. Although, I actually enjoy those cutscenes for its visual effect and being able to physically show us what's taking place in a cool way.

I totally agree with your ideas on the camera angles though. A first person perspective would be pretty neat if done correctly, although it would take some getting used to.
Yes - that's pretty much what I meant. I knew that "suspension of disbelief" was a sketchy choice of words there, but it seemed the best thumbnail description of the concept.

It's not that I inject myself into the game and "become" a 10 year old trainer in whatever region - it's that the separation between myself and the game just sort of fades. I don't notice that I'm a person sitting in a chair with a game in my hands, pushing buttons and watching a screen - it becomes all about getting through the next route and battling the next trainer - planning strategies and choosing moves and looking for paths and talking to people and solving puzzles. All that sitting in the chair holding the game looking at the screen and pushing buttons business just goes on "in the background" so to speak. Then a cutscene starts and blammo. Suddenly I'm just a guy sitting in a chair with a game in my hands - a passive observer while the game takes over and does what it wants to do. I find that to be jarring and unpleasant and the fewer times a game does that, IMO, the better.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

It would be so cool to see the camera zoom in while talking to some non-playable character in the game, but I do assume the camera angle and zoom would remain the same as previous generations when talking to a non-playable character.

But as far as what we've seen in the trailer, I don't think they no longer have the camera facing above the player anymore and instead is showing it in an angle where you can also see the sky as well, similar to how Castelia City is like in Black/White. But the only times they'd have it facing above the player would be when in a cave or building, so it would give that Pokémon Colosseum feeling.

As for the cutscenes, I'm sure they're going to be amazing! Since it's now in full 3D, we should be expecting some amazing detailed cutscenes where the camera moves around freely and zooming in on characters as well as Pokémon. Which would be so epic.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:28 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
I'm expecting amazing cutscenes as well, the kyurem cutscenes in B/W were very promising, so I'm definitely looking forward to what they come up with

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:55 PM
sρεcтяα
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to sρεcтяα
A part of me would quite like to see multiple camera options, actually. Perhaps a choice from the classic "top-down" perspective, a default "3D" perspective, and a "free roaming" perspective? That way you can play the game without worrying about the camera, pan it any way you please if you want to take in the scenery, or keep it fixed in a classic position if you're not really all that taken with the graphics. Despite the potential disaster for player-controlled camera options, I'd still like to see them in there.

As for cutscenes...well, I wouldn't lose any sleep over them if they weren't in there. Graphically, the ones in Black 2 were very impressive, but that was pretty much all they were...they weren't particularly impressive otherwise. Sprites probably would have done, to be honest; they just didn't click with me. It didn't make the moment any more impressive. So, if they're going to roll with the cutscenes, I'd like to see a little more effort put into making them more cinematic and interesting.
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Worth pointing out that the trailer already demonstrates various camera angles. Given how every model is 3D now, I fully expect cutscenes to appear as well.

I don't think you'll ever be able to manipulate the camera itself, though.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:54 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
The camera angles are pretty good, though personally, I agree that we could at least, have the option of zooming or slightly adjusting the camera's positioning, just for our tastes. I hope that they can improve more, even as shown as the trailer, because with this 3DS technology, it's definitely possible! But well we ever get the option to adjust it? That remains to be seen.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:15 AM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Well, this will sure be interesting to see. It might make the game more vibrant too. It's a good addition.

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
During previous generations, we can only see two view points of the game, battle and overworld. When people talk to people, we only see it in the overworld along with some quoteboxes. Even pokemon attacks in the overworld are just in quoteboxes. Ever since Emerald, we can see cinematic animations for the first time with the Rayquaza coming down from the sky to stop Groudon and Kyogre. Future generations even begin implementing this during legendary mascot summoning. Unfortunately, pokemon using moves outside the battle view and trainers doing postures and expressing what they say have still not been improved. Do you think cinematic animations is possible in Pokemon X and Y since it will implement the 3D graphics?

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Oh yes, cinematic animations has been becoming even more common than ever before in the main Pokémon games, especially with Black Version 2 and White Version 2 having several cinematic animations of Team Plasma's Frigate and battling Black/White Kyurem.

It's a very high chance that cinematic animations would indeed occur much more frequently in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, because of it's improved 3D graphics capability. And now we'll be able to see the trainers in the cinematic animations as well, instead of some basic sprite.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here