Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Well, ever since the R/B/G/Y games have past, it's been generally a tradition of pokemon to have at least 2 silent characters, both male and female that are playable, and it's a safe bet to assume that it's going to remain that way. However, if I may ask, should there be an opportunity to play as different characters in Pokemon X and Y, like as, say, your possible rival(s)? Perhaps even if it's not for the main portion of the game, but with certain events or side-quests.

Any thoughts?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
For the main story of the game I think they should stick to the two protagonists rule but it would be fun to play as different characters in side stories. For example you could play as a Gym Leader and challenge opponents to have the experience of actually being a Gym Leader using your desired strategy just for fun.
Pokemon Spirit Emerald
Coming Soon
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:55 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
That could possibly happen,
maybe an alternate storyline?
Like other games.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:04 AM
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

Nature: Timid
What I think would be good is if we could choose a character's sprite. But since it seems we're gonna be able to customize our character... Who knows if that's not going to happen?
X: 1032-2650-8413
SS: 0003 9443 8973
White: 0046 2009 9581
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I think it would be great if you got to be able to do some side quests while controlling some other player. Like you'd be battling other trainers with their Pokémon and doing alot of things possible.

But I'm not sure if it's going to happen, but I'd wish for it to happen though. :x
[Platinum Lucario's Signature]
Researching the NDS ROMs...

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
The way I see it, the protagonist is our surrogate in the games. The male/female protagonists are taking the role of us, the players, and telling a tale of the journey we're on from our perspective. Pokémon has always been told from a first person point of view. Our view. Given the chance to control other characters (i.e. our rivals), it would sort of be like making a choice for someone else. It'd be like more or less controlling another person who is not us.

I think Pokémon works best with a male / female protagonist to play as. Not that I don't think it would be cool to play as other characters, even for a small side plot, but I prefer the way it's currently been designed all these years.

IF character customization is finally something that has been integrated into the games, as speculated, then I think it would make the characters feel all that more personal to the player. Which, I'm totally all for.
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Mama-Mamo
Togepi

Nature: Brave
They might bring back what they did in Gen IV with picking up a sidekick for a short time and being able to battle WITH them. (Such as Cheryl in Eterna Forest.) That's really the only thing I see them doing.

I completely agree with Aerilyn.

Yellow|HeartGold|Sapphire|Platinum|White

Working on HeartGold!
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Raichupacabra
Villain

Nature: Hasty
I agree with Aerilyn. I want to stick with only being my character. I feel like they are me. They are meant to represent you. That's the main reason we're able to name them (despite it not working out for us with eight characters in our names), choose their gender, and make their choices. And it seems like in this game you can customize them so it makes them even more personalized.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X | 3DS Friend Code: 4313-1107-3365
(PM me with your Friend Code and tell me if you have added me)
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
That would definitely be interesting, but I don't see them varying too far from the norm with a silent protagonist. It would just be too different, imo, but of course here we are in 3D so... anything could happen.
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Deceit
Toxic.

I personally think it's fine having 2 protagonists, as usual. But to make things different, I really want a customize character feature, like others. Even if many others are using the same protagonist as you, yours can still be different, and however you want it.

But it would be cool to play as other main characters in a minigame, possibly.
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Sabrewulf238

I think it might be interesting if you occasionally took control of gym leaders for side quests.

For the most part though I'm happy just sticking with my main character.
Looking for X & Y friends, friend code is: 2964-8571-0102
Send me a pm if you add me.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:35 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

They wouldn't do that. What would they do about catching Pokemon if you were another character? You'd probably be extremely limited in what you could do, so it's better to simply remain the character they have assigned for you.
"Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami
=====

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
If there was a customization option, we probably wouldn't need separate characters. The different hair, skin, and clothing options would be more than enough to warrant sticking with the same base model.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Do what they did with ~Explorers of the Sky~.
When you reach certain points of them game, you unlock side stories, involving important Characters or Frequent appearing characters from the game, and who they got involved in the line of the Heroes. Or, something like that.
gone.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I don't think that would happen, I think it's more about the protagonist's journey so I'm not sure how they could incorporate someone else into this but... I guess maybe?
showdown, gallery, anime, & family
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
Well, ever since the R/B/G/Y games have past, it's been generally a tradition of pokemon to have at least 2 silent characters, both male and female that are playable, and it's a safe bet to assume that it's going to remain that way. However, if I may ask, should there be an opportunity to play as different characters in Pokemon X and Y, like as, say, your possible rival(s)? Perhaps even if it's not for the main portion of the game, but with certain events or side-quests.

Any thoughts?
You will almost always be controlling your player character. After all, he/she is an avatar of you - plain, generic and possibly more fashionable than you'll ever be. If you get to control anyone else, it's probably not gonna last long and would be likely a 2 minute plot point.
Hiroshi Sotomura

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I don't see it changing from what we have always had anytime soon. Though little side stories like the ones in PMD: EoS would be interesting. Wifi events/DLC maybe?
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

I don't think they'd be changing that formula any time soon. :/ If they were to add a part that you could be someone else, it'd probably be some small side thing and wouldn't last long.

paired to crono & moderator of 3 & 5
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:22 PM
OrangeNess
Layton Lover

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post

Any thoughts?
If DLC were to happen, this would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama-Mamo View Post
They might bring back what they did in Gen IV with picking up a sidekick for a short time and being able to battle WITH them. (Such as Cheryl in Eterna Forest.) That's really the only thing I see them doing.

I completely agree with Aerilyn.
My firend has a bad experience with those guys. *cough*...Bianca...*cough* He saw a shiny Boldore and she killed it. He now hates NPC partners.
Perhaps so, but we've seen it happen with our very own eyes. The answer is out there, Luke - we just need to find it. -Professor Layton
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

I don't think taking control of another character is really possible, since you would supposedly have to take a whole new party of Pokémon for the time-being (which would be the Pokémon equivalent of what happens in other RPGs). It's not impossible, but it may be off-putting for some players.

Something I've always wanted, however, is the choice between 4 protagonists: male and female, child and adult.
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
It'd...certainly be interesting, that's for sure. .__.; Not sure how effective it would be though. It would seem to be like something that would look better on paper than it would in the games..
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:09 PM
sρεcтяα
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to sρεcтяα
I'd be quite happy with just being able to fully customize my character in terms of appearance, and then just being given costumes (even through DLC if they feel the need...but not paid DLC, thank you) to alter their appearance as I saw fit. Major NPCs in Pokemon games are typically rivals, gym leaders/E4 members, or antagonists, and I can't imagine playing as any of those at the expense of the main character.

What might be nice, though, would be getting to control your Pokemon, instead of your character, ala Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Maybe have your character get locked up by the evil team and separated from their Pokeballs...so your Pokemon comes out and tries to find you, battling through hostiles on the way. Could be a fun little break from the routine.

Being able to control NPC partners, so they'd be more like an additional party member than an annoying and incompetent tag-along good only for restoring your Pokemon's HP after every battle, would be nice, though.
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I don't think Game Freak will break away from the traditional 10/11-something-year-old male and female protagonists. It's been a series tradition, and it's best that it stays that way.
ホウエン地方

battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter
pairs | the welcome lounge | fairy-type club

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Azire
Mr. Premier Ball

Nature: Naughty
I wish we could choose our character out of all the basic trainers we fight in the game, much like our multiplayer option on BW2. Or like someone else said, four different models to choose from, Male/Female, Child/Adult.
Normal Safari: Kecleon, Lillipup, Ditto
(Ditto Unavailable Due To Restart)
Azire's Premier Pokémon
Please Leave A Review If We Trade
Trader Review Thread
Pairs: Champion Lunis
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links