The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro.
When Will Ferrell comes out, you know funny stuff is going to happen.
I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Also, everybody is raving about Jodie Foster's speech, and admittedly I'm not sure what speeches for the Cecil B Demille (I think?) Award are meant to be like, but I found her whole speech incredibly awkward. Robert Downey Jr's introduction was funny, but then Jodie got up there and she was speaking on several different tangents that didn't seem to have anything to do with anything, and by the end I was left utterly confused and felt like I imagine one would feel in the moments after they've been slapped in the face with a wet fish.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Personally, I think she was going to officially come out, then wimped out and went on a random tangent. Besides, no need to come out, we all know you're a lesbian, Jodie!
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

She did come out...? She just did it in a very roundabout way, never actually saying the word lesbian itself.
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Personally, I think she was going to officially come out, then wimped out and went on a random tangent. Besides, no need to come out, we all know you're a lesbian, Jodie!
It's like the worst kept secret in Hollywood XD

But it was such a weird speech regardless of the coming out bit. Old, single, retiring, then not. Some brief rant on Honey Booboo or however you spell her name. She needs to hang out with Mel Gibson a bit less. I don't get why people in the audience were crying
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Everybody knew what she was talking about in the coming out portion of the speech... I just don't understand what that had to do with the award she was receiving or her career lol

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Cordelia
Banned

People were crying because Hollywood is the weirdest group of people that we've seen on Earth... including us.
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Esper

She was probably crying because when you're an actor you don't get as much privacy as everyone else and it was emotional for her to talk about trying to have some privacy in her life. Or it could be that she was given an award that said "Hey, you've been acting for a long time and you've always been a damn good actor. You done good. Be proud." I think anyone would get emotional over something like that.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Maybe it's just because she's an actress and her job is to make things seem as interesting as possible so it's a natural reflex, who knows. :p /cynical. It is a huge achievement though and a great thing to be recognised for. I know I'd certainly get emotional if it were me receiving the award so I can't blame her at all haha, the coming out timing was a tad odd though...
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
When people get Lifetime Achievement awards on globally televised award shows, it's probably the biggest single audience they'll have at any one time, so lots of them use it to promote a cause that they're passionate about. In the case of Foster, it was a weirdly personal one about celebrity, homosexuality (both in that she didn't need to say she was gay because everyone already knows, but also mentioning it would help break what glass ceiling remains), privacy, the media and how they all intermingle in a not-very-successful way at times. I've read the transcript of the speech and, while I can't say it's the most coherent piece of oratory I've read, it certainly says some powerful things. Good for her.
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

I suppose I'll be the one to say it, she looks great for a 50 year old! Truly beautiful/classy!
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:31 AM
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I suppose I'll be the one to say it, she looks great for a 50 year old! Truly beautiful/classy!
Literally almost as obvious as the fact she's a lesbian. A MILF... that I unfortunately won't get to now.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:30 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Do you think that you'd have a chance if she were straight?

I do, you seem incredibly dapper and charming.

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:33 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Not a chance in hell, but I wasn't interested in the first place.
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:32 PM
Antemortem
we're fantastic

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
From the more recent commercials I've been seeing, Side Effects (Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Rooney Mara) isn't looking quite as good as the original trailer and descriptions originally portrayed. I mean, it still has an enticing plot and three spectacular lead actors, so I'm going to give it a go anyway, but at this point it feels like a leap of faith. Maybe it'll come back and end up impressing me anyway. Who knows!

Anyone seen Mama? I'm not big into horror films, but it looks amazing, so I'm considering it!
suggestions and stuff on my profile because i value you lovelies. xo
oras ... cm ... final oras team
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:05 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

I'm quite interested in seeing Side Effects! I actually saw a trailer for it the first time today when I went to see The Impossible. As for Mama, I want to see it also, even though I haven't many good reviews about it. But bad reviews should never stop a person from trying out a film anyway!
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:50 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
I'm quite interested in seeing Side Effects! I actually saw a trailer for it the first time today when I went to see The Impossible. As for Mama, I want to see it also, even though I haven't many good reviews about it. But bad reviews should never stop a person from trying out a film anyway!
If the critics had their way... we'd only have artsy-fartsy films as my dad likes to say. xD
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:16 AM
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
If the critics had their way... we'd only have artsy-fartsy films as my dad likes to say. xD
OMG that would be so awesome... but I'm aware I'd be in the minority on that one!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:34 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Mama is looking like one of those few films which might actually be a little bit scary, I'm looking forward to this one. It's been a long time since a film has made me truly scared and that's a feeling I miss haha. The film hasn't been rated greatly so far, but I'm holding out hope that it'll be worth the wait.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Esper

Quote:
Please, movie gods, do not let this happen. I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild over the weekend and I could not follow the movie at all. I know part of it was that I can't always understand the grammar or or accents, and part of it was that child voices just sound different, but the other half of my trouble was that the plot just meandered like a dream. It was very emotional and entertaining, but I really felt like I was being swept up in a current with no idea where I was heading. And that's one of the best experiences I've had with artsy-fartsy films. If art house films were all we had I'd have to give up movies entirely.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Please, movie gods, do not let this happen. I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild over the weekend and I could not follow the movie at all. I know part of it was that I can't always understand the grammar or or accents, and part of it was that child voices just sound different, but the other half of my trouble was that the plot just meandered like a dream. It was very emotional and entertaining, but I really felt like I was being swept up in a current with no idea where I was heading. And that's one of the best experiences I've had with artsy-fartsy films. If art house films were all we had I'd have to give up movies entirely.
I'm not too keen on the Oscar's really, it's just a bunch of hoity-toity old men and women deciding that something is good when it's really rather garbage. Good films do make it on the list, but really when the Hobbit doesn't make Best Picture when it has double the room, something's terribly wrong.

Last edited by Cordelia; January 22nd, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:01 PM
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Do you think that you'd have a chance if she were straight?

I do, you seem incredibly dapper and charming.
The question is whether she'd have a chance.

I'm a huge horror movie fan. I'm also a huge pansy when it comes to that. I literally have to change the channel every time the previews for Mama come on. Should be good.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Adventure
all of time & space

Nature: Naive
Quote:
I'm not too keen on the Oscar's really, it's just a bunch of hoity-toity old men and women deciding that something is good when it's really rather garbage. Good films do make it on the list, but really when the Hobbit doesn't make Best Picture when it has double the room, something's terribly wrong.
There are plenty of reasons for not making The Hobbit "Best Picture". I could name a few, but I don't want to start a war :3 I loved the book. The movie was just not what I had hoped for.

I do not dare to watch Mama ;; I would like to see Paranormal Activity 4 but honestly I can't even understand how I had the nerves to watch the first three.

to think you were once a stranger
and every day with you an adventure

Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:09 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
There are plenty of reasons for not making The Hobbit "Best Picture". I could name a few, but I don't want to start a war :3 I loved the book. The movie was just not what I had hoped for.

I do not dare to watch Mama ;; I would like to see Paranormal Activity 4 but honestly I can't even understand how I had the nerves to watch the first three.
I'd agree with you, but with the other options up there it just feels like Jackson was snubbed due to his previous success with the LOTR movies.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
Esper

Quote:
I'd agree with you, but with the other options up there it just feels like Jackson was snubbed due to his previous success with the LOTR movies.
I guess they felt that they'd get a better response by nominating Life of Pi. Kinda feels like they don't like having too many fantasy or scifi movies get nominations.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I guess they felt that they'd get a better response by nominating Life of Pi. Kinda feels like they don't like having too many fantasy or scifi movies get nominations.
I'm with you on that. They're definitely more into the dramas and the like... always have been.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links