The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky

Quote:
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge.
So is anyone else excited over this movie? Guillermo del Toro's supposedly a really big giant robot anime and tokusatsu fan, and I think it shows in this trailer. This movie looks like it's going to be one big love letter to both genres made by the most imaginative director out there at the moment. I've been looking forward to this ever since I first heard about it and the trailer has me more excited than ever.

Paired With Signomi - Brothers with Arcanine
Old December 12th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Giant monsters, and giant robots? I'm sold.

I also couldn't help but notice GLaDOS' voice in the trailer.
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
holy jesus god.

I had heard amazing rumors about this movie for months now, and now I see why. Del Toro is amazing and this movie looks insanely cool, effects wise.
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Esper

A live action giant robot movie doesn't immediately sound like the easiest thing to make seem serious, but I'll give anything that Guillermo del Toro does a try.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
Sounds pretty much like Neon Genesis Evangelion..but live action. Looks neat though, I guess.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
A live action giant robot movie doesn't immediately sound like the easiest thing to make seem serious, but I'll give anything that Guillermo del Toro does a try.
Yeah, especially given that we just endured 3 Michael Bay Transformers movies (with more on the way) I have reservations about how well it will be received by the average movie goer.

Charlie Hunnam is a plus too.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I imagine Guillermo del Toro has different ideas about editing than Michael Bay does, so this'll probably be a lot easier to follow than the Transformers series... even if it does involve the admittedly similar premise of robots battering other robots. I'm cautiously optimistic for this. There are lots of things that could go wrong, but I'm happy that something like this exists and is in such capable hands.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Ehh I'm not a big fan of giant robot films, but with a good director and a lot of factors to make it unique (two pilots inside each robot controlling it at the same time is making it seem much more interesting for some reason!) from other films like this, there is still hope. I'll go into it open-mindedly if I do see it, but it's probably one of those films I'll leave 'till it's on TV haha. But considering what the film is based on the trailer didn't look too bad, so fingers crossed!
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Antemortem
[INSERT A PROFOUND TRUTH]

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
It feels to me like a glorified Transformers movie, but with monsters. It's not that I don't like movies like this, but I don't like them. I won't break my neck to go see this as soon as it comes out, but it's a possibility. The plot seems solid, though, and the visuals/characters equally so. It might be worth it, but I'm not sure yet.
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
This just looks like 2013's version of Battleship, just swapping ships, aliens and Rihanna with mechs, monsters and GlaDOS. I prefer my movies to have more substance that big mechs smashing ****, so no thank you.
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para-Dox View Post
This just looks like 2013's version of Battleship, just swapping ships, aliens and Rihanna with mechs, monsters and GlaDOS. I prefer my movies to have more substance that big mechs smashing ****, so no thank you.
...Until you realize that this one has competent actors and a director who isn't an idiot. I have faith in Del Toro.
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:43 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I saw this trailer and afterward, I gave my wife a thumbs up to tell her how bad I wanted to see it! It looks awesome, omg!
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM
The Sly Fox
Community Supporter

I think I may actually check this out. I'm not a big fan of these big robot battle movies but I do like Guillermo del Toro as a director. The trailer itself is actually pretty awesome and kept me interested. Also, the graphics in the film look really good to me, not cheap or fake.

Sponsored Links