The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

View Poll Results: Which one ? 3DS or 3Ds XL?
3DS 12 32.43%
3DS XL 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Kouzan
When did the sky turn black?

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
I'm thinking this work here.

Since Pokemon X and Y have been announced for 3DS, that means I have to buy a 3DS now.I really want these games cause they look really promising and there's other 3DS titles that look fun. However, I don't know which one to get. A 3DS or a 3DS XL. So I figured I'd ask you guys to help me out. Which one do you prefer/ think is better? A 3DS or a 3DS XL? And which one do you think I should buy? A normal 3DS or a 3DS XL??

Kind of was curious as to which one people liked more and also wanted to know which one I should to buy for these upcoming games.

Oh oh these are beautiful times.
Clubs: Dark Type Club | Adventure Time Club
EGC | BMGf | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to

Last edited by Kouzan; January 13th, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder

Nature: Docile
I have a normal 3DS (LoZ 25th anniversary version) & find the screen size to be absolutely fine.
When 3D is enabled, quite a few people have issues finding a perfect position to maximize the 3D itself, without hurting their own eyes.

I have not ever used, or owned a 3DS XL, so I cannot say anything positive or negative about it.
In regards to the classic however; if you find it on-sale, than picking it up is a fine idea.
It does its job, & I'd say it does it well.
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:18 AM
razzbat
dancer

Nature: Quiet
the 3ds xl technically is far superior to the original
>better 3d, less ghosting
>corners are curved so its alot more comfortable to hold, people can get hand cramps from the origina
>longer battery life
>this is a problem which I had with the original which quite a few others did was that unless you use screen protectors the edges of the bottom screen can leave scratch marks on the top screen. Apparently this issue is less frequent with the xl
also while some people complain about the size of the xl, it isn't actually that much bigger, while the screens are

raspberrybat
BLACK FC: 0132 0783 1389
SOUL SILVER FC: 5414 0665 8930

Old January 16th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Rodriguezjames55
No Jokes #MegaCharizard

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
3dsxl
due to the superior workmanship and price is very similar
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Venitardus
Breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to Venitardus
I have the 3DS XL. its alot bigger for starters (obviously) and it was only like 30 bucks more expensive, and well worth it
Friend safari: Normal
•Pokemon X: Loudred, Dunsparce, Smeargle
Let me know if you add me, I'll add you as well.
Owner of the club: Red like roses ~ RWBY fan club
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:51 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Nature: Impish
Go with whatever you want to. I personally just got a 3DS, I think it's fine. Bigger? Meh. If you find (in like Gamestop, for example) that the screen is too small for your preference, go ahead. I guess you should at least try the 3DS XL, but otherwise I recommend whichever one you want to spend the money for.

could you ····ing not
·
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:23 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

If I could have the XL in the size of the original 3DS, I'd go for that. For me the XL is just too big
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Heartouch
Count the stars between us

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
I personally think 3DS XL is better because of longer playtime (battery life) than in original 3DS.
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

For me, the XL is a lot more comfortable, but I have pretty big hands. I have a regular 3DS and it gets kind of cramped sometimes, especially when playing games like Kid Icarus Uprising. Apparently the "sweet spot" for the 3D effect is bigger on the XL too and you don't have to be so precise in how you hold it. The battery life increase is pretty insignificant though.

If I were just getting a 3DS now I'd get an XL, but I really can't justify upgrading when it does the same thing as the 3DS I have now, only bigger.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of aerial ace
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM
LilJz
Legendary lovers♥

I'm not a rich guy, so I'm probably gonna go with the 3DS but the battery life of the 3DS XL is better than the 3DS but it's also bigger, I don't think I really need a bigger screen. Altought it performs better..
I'll just have to see what I'm going to end up with in the future. Really depends with my budget by the time.
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM
St33lDr4g0n
Rathalos Slayer

Nature: Modest
Personally, I'd go with the XL. Since I play game devices with big screens all the time (PC, PS VITA) I'd [almost] always pick the device with the bigger screen, even if it's not the most pocket friendly.

Plus, from all of the reviews I've been reading, the 3D effect on the XL doesn't dissapear as easily as it does on the original 3DS when you tilt the device and all that. The XL also has better curves (smoother corners) so it won't dig into your hands as much as the original. And it's also better if you have big hands like me.

But that's just my opinion. There's always gonna be someone out there who would think otherwise :)

Old January 19th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Zet

Nature: Jolly
if you plan on taking it around with you in your pocket, get the 3DS. Every other reason, get the XL.
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:14 PM
machomuu
Gungnir!

Nature: Relaxed
I carry my XL around with me, as well as my DSiXL. It's not too much of a hassle, really, not as much as, say, a PSP or Vita. I do recommend the XL, though. Some may say it's "just bigger"...and yeah, it is. That's why it's so great. Sure, there's increased battery life, but games like Kid Icarus and Resident Evil: Revelations are so much more engrossing with the larger screen. I've been using XL systems for 3 years now, and I definitely haven't regretted the purchase. I heavily recommend it, especially if it's your first 3DS.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Cordelia
LIMITLESS

Nature: Bold
I recently got a 3DS XL and it is so much sweeter than a regular 3DS. It feels so good in my hands and the screens are simply amazing. The battery life is always a plus, but to be honest it needs that to power those monster screens. The size is nice... it's about a half centimeter smaller than the DSi XL, which I used to have. DS and 3DS games look quite good on the 3DS, much better than the DSi XL by far.

Seraph Robe

Elixir

House of Ylisse

Loyalty, Strength, Honor.

Old January 20th, 2013, 06:44 AM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

3ds xl.I am planning to buy one for these games and the possible ruby/saphire remake.
Also i heard it is far superior from its predecessor in terms of quality and sturdiness.
You can also wait for its price to drop or for a bundle such as the fire emblem bundle for the 3ds.

White 2:4814-8483-7594

3DS:4871 4138 8216
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Cordelia
LIMITLESS

Unfortunately, the Fire Emblem 3DS is not an XL -- it's just a regular 3DS.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/14/fi...tails-for-200/

Seraph Robe

Elixir

House of Ylisse

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:27 AM
Cassino
Møderator

Given that you are a 20yo male according to your postbit, I would have to recommend the 3DSXL due to its larger size being more comfortable for adult hands.

DA | YT | 'Be yourself' is the worst advice anyone around here will give you.
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity

Nature: Jolly
It's all down to personal preference really; if you think the current DS' are quite small for you, just get the XL. Then again, a bigger screen would make it harder to see everything that's going on albeit not a huge difference between the screens. There isn't really much reasons as to why the 3DS would be better than the XL, just that it's smaller. But then again, that's still down to the user's preference.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:43 AM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

I have the launch 3DS, but I want an XL. My hands are big, and they cramp up with the regular 3DS.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ZetaZaku Send a message via Skype™ to ZetaZaku
I'd choose XL for the size, but it's also more expensive. Europe, especially my country, can be a ***** with prices. Heck, it costs around 300$ here. The cheapest I could find was a used one for 140$ (not XL). The chepaest XL I found was 240$. Worst thing is that the prices won't fall here, since the regular DS is as expensive. I'm dying for an XL, but I might end up buying the cheaper regular one. Seeing the Fire Emblem bundled one for 200$ pisses me off haha.

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
I got a 3DS XL for Christmas, so yeah I'm going with the 3DS XL.
And not forget where you’ve come from

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:01 AM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~

Nature: Gentle
3DS XL, that has the better size and overall improvements and also comfortable for somebody to use.

Journey's, something a person will need once in a lifetime.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
daigonite
jade the break-ro-dancer

Nature: Impish
I've never seen what's been so special about the XL line in either the 3DS or the DSi variety.

I will give my heart to you, because I love you, I trust you, and I know that you will be there for me.
Braillemon: Pokemon Port for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Minerva
take that money, watch it burn

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Minerva
I'll probably get a 3DS XL because it looks pretty big. I was originally thinking of getting a regular-sized 3DS because I saw that it's a lot cheaper, but the 3DS XL dropped to $150 at GameStop. So, right now I'm reconsidering getting the XL instead. Plus, reading the pros about it makes me kinda want it more. xD
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Cordelia
LIMITLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Storm View Post
I'll probably get a 3DS XL because it looks pretty big. I was originally thinking of getting a regular-sized 3DS because I saw that it's a lot cheaper, but the 3DS XL dropped to $150 at GameStop. So, right now I'm reconsidering getting the XL instead. Plus, reading the pros about it makes me kinda want it more. xD
What?! I just got mine a week ago and it was $199.

...oh, still shows $199 here: http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3DS+XL

Seraph Robe

Elixir

House of Ylisse

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links